Regarding Goblin Brainwashing Device

Ortogs

Re: Regarding Goblin Brainwashing Device

Post by Ortogs » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:55 am

Should have been 3 specs to match talent trees and call it good. Cant believe the whining on this thread from bug exploiters.

Nickgreyden

Post by Nickgreyden » Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:37 am

While I'm not happy about the change nor am I pleased about how it happened, I will take heart in the fact it was looked at in retrospec at least.

I'm also not a fan of a long CD being put on the device as sometimes people need to swap specs in the middle of raid then swap back. I'm not happy about having to come up with another 300g either to have a worse effect that was taken advantage of by a few poor actors. A compromise? Yes, this is what it was. Not a fan of the compromise, but it is just enough to quite me... "just".

Kazel90909090

Post by Kazel90909090 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:42 am

Jamey wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:28 am
Hello there!

I'm here to talk about the recent changes to the Goblin Brainwashing Device. I would like to first clarify that the Goblin Brainwashing Device was never meant to allow people saving a specialization with only 1 talent point spent, essentially allowing infinite free talent resets. That being said, our reason to change the behavior of the item isn't simply "bug needs fixing". (We have frontstabbing for a reason)

Would be better to make up to 8 specs for 100g each

The main reason is as follows:

While we encourage experimentation of different specs and builds for any class a good portion of players using this "feature" (read bug) were not actually doing any of the sorts. Players would reset their talents mid-raid, sometimes up to 10 times per raid to get specific benefits per fight. This is not something we consider healthy for the game especially if this trickles down to expectations that raiders should always pick the optimal min-max spec.

With the new edit of the item, aforementioned is still possible except it will have a cost bound to it by having to reset your talents. (At the cost of 5 gold per reset max as before)

However, there is nuance to the issue:

We realize that this has hit hybrid classes harder than non-hybrids as they are usually expected to fill different roles with different specs which was not the intention of this change.

Therefore we intend to do a second few edits on the Goblin Brainwashing Device:
  • Changes already live:
    • Specs will no longer be reset for characters who are not level 60 and level up. This was never intended and was a bug.
  • Changes to go live on next maintenance server update:
    • The Goblin Brainwashing Device will start with 2 spec slots as before.
    • Two extra spec slots are purchasable. Unlocking the third spec slot will cost 100 Gold. Unlocking the fourth spec slot will cost 200 Gold.
    • Players who were hit by the reset due to the level-up bug will get 2 free talent resets.
    • Players who have purchased the Goblin Brainwashing Device from the in-game shop in the past 6 months can issue a refund for this item by opening a ticket in the next 14 days.

Speedz1337

Post by Speedz1337 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:30 pm

Could we get an option to name each spec as it only shows you how many points you have put into each tree thus far.

Feetlover444

Post by Feetlover444 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:21 pm

Lol people get 4!? specs with brainwashing device insane, wotlk had what 2? Jesus ezwow inc.

Ovaron

Post by Ovaron » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:16 am

another bandaid fix to a problem you created without telling anyone.
What was the reason to let this bug ingame for about 2years+? Please dont tell me nobody at the staff knew about this, you are lying to yourself.

What is your reson to "adjust" things like this and many others?

Revert to the original state wouldnt hurt anyone.

Kord24

Post by Kord24 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:10 am

Hey devs,

Any update on reverting the brainwashing device change? Your reasoning for changing it makes no sense. Min/max raiders are still going to min/max. You're just overly punishing casual players who like to experiment and hybrid classes for no good reason. You say you don't want to punish hybrid classes but then put forward a "fix" that does exactly that. Hybrid classes have to limit themselves to 4 specs (very hard for druids, pallys and shamans and it eliminates the fun exploration of new builds for everyone) but have to pay an extra 300g that non-hybrid don't have to pay. Plus to set your 4 specs you have to pay 5g to set each one, so it's an extra 20g on top of that.

Please either revert the nerf or provide an explanation for ruining this beloved feature that makes sense.

Amani

Post by Amani » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:40 am

Kord24 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:10 am
Hey devs,

Any update on reverting the brainwashing device change? Your reasoning for changing it makes no sense. Min/max raiders are still going to min/max. You're just overly punishing casual players who like to experiment and hybrid classes for no good reason. You say you don't want to punish hybrid classes but then put forward a "fix" that does exactly that. Hybrid classes have to limit themselves to 4 specs (very hard for druids, pallys and shamans and it eliminates the fun exploration of new builds for everyone) but have to pay an extra 300g that non-hybrid don't have to pay. Plus to set your 4 specs you have to pay 5g to set each one, so it's an extra 20g on top of that.

Please either revert the nerf or provide an explanation for ruining this beloved feature that makes sense.
Seems devs forcing hybird classes to farm more gold to afford this, or... guess who's selling gold

Zokk

Post by Zokk » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:42 am

Ovaron wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:16 am
another bandaid fix to a problem you created without telling anyone.
What was the reason to let this bug ingame for about 2years+? Please dont tell me nobody at the staff knew about this, you are lying to yourself.

What is your reson to "adjust" things like this and many others?

Revert to the original state wouldnt hurt anyone.
Did you even read the post properly? Of course they new about it for ages. But clearly based on the justifications given in the OP, they felt it was time to address it as it was getting abused so much, respeccing every 5 mins is stupid. They should put a 2 CD on it instead, to be able to tweak you build based on the scenario is actually a pretty handy idea. Just a shame its gone now.

Ragatho

Post by Ragatho » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:29 am

Ok where to buy those more slots! Wizlow has nothing to sell! :D

Sayg1234

Post by Sayg1234 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:42 pm

Can you add free respecs for those who are still leveling and under level 60?

I was having so much fun trying different talents. Now I'm pay walled.

Sayg1234

Post by Sayg1234 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:06 am

I am so sick of this brainwashing device junk. I gave you guys $20 and so far, it just royally pisses me off.

I have wasted so much time and gold because this device continues to repeatedly not work and I get screwed because of theses "hot fixes". Absolutely zero kind of compensation too.

These "free spec resets" aren't working and it's driving me livid.

Jianthawiian

Post by Jianthawiian » Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:58 pm

Why do my specs KEEP getting wiped still? I've sunk so much gold into this device just for them to keep getting wiped! Then when you put a ticket in for it, you get a "nothing we can do". So I ask about the two free respecs promised in this post, only to get (and I'm paraphrasing) "Guess you were affected, that's why you don't have them". This is getting rediculous.

Kayax

Post by Kayax » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:54 pm

Mine was working fine and all of a sudden after relogging it's doing the "Your saved dual spec has been reset" thing with the saved spec gone.

I opened a GM ticket that I guess was closed. The open ticket / we're experiencing a high volume of tickets UI thing vanished and I was not contacted by a GM nor was the device/my talents reset.

Character level is 16, so it isn't a lvl 60. The device did work just fine from levels 10-16.

Paw

Post by Paw » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:21 am

I would like to address those of you who find the reversed change still absurd and help each other to come an understanding with my broken english.

Changing such a hugely favoured feature without notification and a thorough discussion before implementation was from my perspective like throwing off barrels of food into the ocean by your ship captain's orders without giving any notice or declaration. It got everyone by surprise that certainly... a huge uproar followed. Afterall its food! Everyone fails to notice that that those barrels that contained food were already old and decaying and the substances went stale long ago. What you were chewing off was nothing more than the bones, dust and ash on your plates. The plague of Undeath touched your very soul and all you see now is the lack of food that was there none to begin with since the shipment was for trade and not consumption. However you forgot it all over for you have become too accustomed to its alluring scent and forgotten to dispatch the delivery in time. At the end of that day you remained with the lust for the thing you desired so but lost all sense and reason to follow the path of your civil duties as a merchant and became an ever diluted crew that believed for years to come that loosing your purpose in following the right path may be overcome if you ignore the reality of the situation long enough. Long enough might have passed but the truth always prevail... Long a time has it been to follow the pirate way but a new flag is on the horizon and it is held by none other than Sir. Turtle-de-banana. Him, who has thrown the first fruit at the Apes-ala-Island monkey-men and the pandaren cousins who have perished into the mist. Long ago it was, indeed... when the device worked as intended. It was a goblin manufactured goodie... it went broke soon enough... but you see the gnomes are on the rise recently and they fixed it... and also made a few improvements so that it may be useth in the upcoming battle for Gnomeregan...! Long ago... it has been... long ago... looooooooooooooooooooong ago... yet, time strangely hits zero and starts anew a new chapter for you to follow. Time heals the roots so it will heal the hearts of men, wavered in doubt and despair as the entire world turns yet again uptop an other page.

Apparently the device yet still faces the old goblin fashion's drawbacks. As known as "not working as intended". For the time being I ask of you to practice patience! I have only stories to tell about the gnomes and fortunately this device will be fully functional eventually. I believe since it is still going under maintenance you still get the chance to put a say in where to improve it further so do think about improving it. I believe the right place for your suggestions regarding any upgrade to the item is more than welcome here in this thread. I think 4 specializations are a good compromise. For those who are hard earners may extra options shall open for further expenses that require you to invest in shellcoin and travel to the moon and back to land the amount of sum. While we are at it:
  • Extra spec slots: 5,6,7 500 gold each and a monthly fee of 50 gold for those 3 individual talent trees and counting each separately.
  • Allowing talent reset once every one hour or hour and a half depending if its weekday or end
  • Talent rebuild cost reset more often on the device overall... and not for each tree individually. I suggest a one week revision timer for the time being.
  • First 3 alterations could be free of charge, afterwards setting the initial cost value until you reach I would say 100 gold if we allow a weekly kickstart for those who would like to experience and willing to wait a week until they get a new talent reset to play with a new trial set of modifications.
So in case you find it in yourself guys to share any constructive ideas then the time to type them down is about right now since the formula of the gadget is still freshly baked and out of the oven and even though it smells kind of nice it still leaves us much room to open the development further, like sprinkles and honey.

Thank you for your attention!

Sayg1234

Post by Sayg1234 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:20 pm

Can I just have the unnecessary gold I wasted, trying to correct your mismanagement, when Y'ALL made this change without notifying me and when y'all deleted the spec I saved, when I was FORCED to respec, several times????

Does anyone hear us??! There are so many people complaining about this in the game and nobody on the GM team is taking any action to fix this.

Wrathofmike

Post by Wrathofmike » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:12 pm

Sayg1234 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:20 pm
Can I just have the unnecessary gold I wasted, trying to correct your mismanagement, when Y'ALL made this change without notifying me and when y'all deleted the spec I saved, when I was FORCED to respec, several times????

Does anyone hear us??! There are so many people complaining about this in the game and nobody on the GM team is taking any action to fix this.
100%, I had my specs reset after this last patch and paid to get them all setup again. I spent all my points, and saved each spec. I leveled multiple times and spent my points each time. Then, I leveled to 50 and logged off for the night. When I logged back on... booom both specs fully wiped again. I thought... maybe it's gonna give me the 2 free respecs the patch says it will... but NOPE. Full charge for both of them yet again... let me quote the patch notes:

Specs will no longer be reset for characters who are not level 60 and level up. This was never intended and was a bug.viewtopic.php?t=11434

How bout you do what you say.

Albernfufu1337

Post by Albernfufu1337 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:39 pm

What about "Players who were hit by the reset due to the level-up bug will get 2 free talent resets" ?

Abovethelaw

Post by Abovethelaw » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:26 pm

My thread contains videos showing your spec gets reset on a simple log out - viewtopic.php?p=77054&hilit=goblin#p77054

This is really fun, guys. I don't know about you, but this seems like a REALLY good time to not communicate about a breaking bug on a $20 cash shop item. It's not like there are other options out there pulling players away or anything.

Sweetkitty

Post by Sweetkitty » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:21 am

I just bought the respec machine yesterday and just noticed today it was taking 5g every time I had to switch to quest vs healing dungeons and I am left with no gold since I do that 7 times a day I asked GM Darucil for a refund and was blown off.

Tyrgrim

Post by Tyrgrim » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:58 am

So how do you get the refund for the Brainwashing Device?

Who do we contact?

Dracarusggotham
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Dracarusggotham » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:42 pm

Tyrgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:58 am

Who do we contact?
You obtained it trough donations, was your decisition buy it with the points that they give to you with the donation, no one pointed you with a gun for buy that, you donated, they gave you the points and it's your problem in what will you spend them.

Zvyrhol
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Zvyrhol » Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:37 pm

Dracarusggotham wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:42 pm
Tyrgrim wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:58 am

Who do we contact?
You obtained it trough donations, was your decisition buy it with the points that they give to you with the donation, no one pointed you with a gun for buy that, you donated, they gave you the points and it's your problem in what will you spend them.
Nope. The problem isn't about his decision. If he spent his points to device that was supposed to work as before, and later (let's say 3 months) devs change the device, in my eyes he has the right to apply for a refund.
The devil is in the detail.
viewtopic.php?t=13520