Summoning stones

Mackylol

Summoning stones

Post by Mackylol » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:57 pm

I hate that the meeting stones aren't summoning stones but I bet I'm not the first one to post this, but I understand that some players do not want that from feedback in this thread.

How about this instead?

- Make the meeting stones an interactable object, giving the player a way to get back to an instance that they have travelled to. Only usable once, once used the item is consumed. The item is unique, you can only keep it for one instance at a time.

Make meeting stones great again.
Last edited by Mackylol on Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Redmagejoe

Re: Summoning stones

Post by Redmagejoe » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:40 pm

Would straight up quit the server over this.
Mackylol wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:57 pm
I bet I'm not the first one to post this.
You're not, but it's been shot down with extreme prejudice every time. It completely detracts from the spirit of vanilla when you don't even have to be bothered to travel the world to get to the dungeons. Warlocks are an exception because that's their thing, and this is a spit in the face to the class.
Mackylol wrote:
3 people travel to the instance and with the help of the meeting stone, can summon the remaining 2 people.
Bear in mind that the TBC summoning stone only required 2 people, so unless we're going to ask the core devs to change this rather than simply importing it from TBC, that's another big no.
Mackylol wrote:
It would 100% increase dungeon engagement.
That's debatable. People who want good loot and want their character to be stronger will do dungeons regardless. There's not a lack of dungeon runs at almost any time of day now that we're a 6000 player server.

Ravenstone
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Ravenstone » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:46 pm

It leads to such laziness that people just afk in SW/Org and just assume people will summon them, which is shit for the people who actually then need to go to the dungeon. Takes away from Warlock summoning too. It is a bad change to make.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:52 pm

What Ravenstone said.

There's ALREADY people who will leave group if you don't have a summon for them. Let's definitely not encourage that attitude.

Tllap

Post by Tllap » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:55 pm

I also dont think its good thing to do. It just change mind set of ppl. It would soon look like in newer wow with RDF, only just few steps more. And i would hate to destroy warlocks nice things.

Geojak
Has liked: 28 times

Post by Geojak » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:56 pm

I thought about this a bit.
I don't like thaz it makes warlock summon less special, but we can fix this.
Because I do agree on OP point that it would be nice to have an easy, way to get replacement when some leave the dungeon group.

So I propose add summon on meeting stones but you need 4 people in total
1 to click the stone and 3 to help.

Compared to warlock which needs 3 people. One less

This will both allow you summon the fifth last guy, but also keep warlocks relevant.

IF summoning stones aren't nerfed in this way, then I am strictly agaiant it too.

Orlymike2

Post by Orlymike2 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:15 pm

Adding more people doesn't solve the problem. People will just make a raid or rotate party positions with nearby players waiting for their party. Better to just not have summoning stone at all.

Mackylol

Post by Mackylol » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:37 pm

I get what the hyperbolic whine is about for high lvl dungeons but for low lvl dungeons it is severely impeding dungeon runs as a legitimate way to level and it is not uncommon for people to simply not know what the time investment is for a dungeon. Extraordinarily boring to wait 30 minutes just for a guy to leave 15 minutes into a run.

I am completely on-board with having no summons for high level dungeons but doing dungeons during leveling is PAINFUL. Just slap a level restriction on there and limit it to only be possible in groups (not raids). The code is already out there.

People will always be lazy so I'll go ahead and flip that argument and ask, why shouldn't the lazy people also be able to enjoy dungeons? I will gladly run there so we can get the show on the road.

The current dungeon finder is closer to RDF than adding functioning summoning stones honestly.

I am very certain that it was 3 people were required to summon in BC unless you are ignoring the person initiating the summon.
Last edited by Mackylol on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:23 pm

Mackylol wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:37 pm
I have to disagree with you fundamentally on the difficulty of finding low and mid level dungeons. I would like to point out that I have been here for a year and have 8 different characters across the levels spectrum and at various times of the day, and while I would have agreed with you 4 or even 3 months ago before the population explosion that there ARE indeed times of day where certain dungeons simply do not pop, in the last few months there has never been a dungeon on one of my alts that I have not been able to find a group for within 15-20 minutes. Very few people ever demand a summon, and the frequency of someone dropping early with an apology is maybe 5-10% of my runs.

I am not saying that you are not having a different experience, but you must understand that it is hard for me to not take your description of the process as a, I believe it was, "hyperbolic whine".

Mackylol wrote:
People will always be lazy so I'll go ahead and flip that argument and ask, why shouldn't the lazy people also be able to enjoy dungeons?
This attitude is counter to the actual point of the discussion. These same people are who you are depending on to stay for more than 15 minutes and actually contribute to a run, using abilities that aren't just damage, like a Mage removing an awful curse or the like. No one said lazy people can't enjoy dungeons, but do you really want to remove a potential filter for people who are likely to make YOUR dungeon run more miserable?

Mackylol

Post by Mackylol » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:47 pm

Redmagejoe wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:23 pm
I have to disagree with you fundamentally on the difficulty of finding low and mid level dungeons. I would like to point out that I have been here for a year and have 8 different characters across the levels spectrum and at various times of the day
It is not about trouble finding groups, it is about getting your time wasted. Forming a group is gambling with your gametime.
Redmagejoe wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:23 pm
This attitude is counter to the actual point of the discussion. These same people are who you are depending on to stay for more than 15 minutes and actually contribute to a run, using abilities that aren't just damage, like a Mage removing an awful curse or the like. No one said lazy people can't enjoy dungeons, but do you really want to remove a potential filter for people who are likely to make YOUR dungeon run more miserable?
It isn't a counter though, it is not about attitude - atleast not in the way that you use it in your argument.

I looked through previous threads discussing the same topic and one guy asking the same question didn't even bother playing here because his friends wouldn't come without it. In fact I only posted this suggestion because my friend said almost the very same thing.

Laziness for not running is not the same as playing poorly.
Last edited by Mackylol on Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ravenstone

Post by Ravenstone » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:04 am

Mackylol wrote:
People will always be lazy so I'll go ahead and flip that argument and ask, why shouldn't the lazy people also be able to enjoy dungeons?
Do you realise how entitled that comes across?
Please other four people, carry me because I can't be bothered.
Why the fuck should they enjoy dungeons if they can't be bothered to travel to them. Might as well just buy a level 60 character.

Mackylol

Post by Mackylol » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:10 am

Ravenstone wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:04 am
Mackylol wrote:
Do you realise how entitled that comes across?
Please other four people, carry me because I can't be bothered.
Why the fuck should they enjoy dungeons if they can't be bothered to travel to them. Might as well just buy a level 60 character.
What? Humans are lazy, many many things you have in your life have been created because people are lazy. It is not about entitlement, it is a fact about the human condition, to want to create something better.

If I was starting on the deep end here, like you are now, the very addons or websites that you scour for information about this game makes you lazy. Why dont you just play the game and find out? Why are you using information that someone else has gathered for you?

Relating this to playing poorly is going directly to an extreme, it is about playing together.. not running or waiting.

Ravenstone

Post by Ravenstone » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:18 am

No, it is entitled because this lazy person believes that rather than actually putting the effort in to get to a dungeon, they should be teleported there by 2 or 3 other people. Someone else should put the effort in, I deserve to be teleported there. Believing that we should reward laziness at the expense of others is entitlement.

I never attributed it to playing poorly.

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:23 am

Summoning stones took away a major draw of playing warlock, and treating your warlock buddies good, just like having a good mage friend for water is dope.

Summoning stones + LFT would also lead suspiciously close to WotLK's feel of dungeon grinding.

Also most dungeons are 3mannable btw, yes youll be slower but yeah its all so easy its very doable. Don't be entitled to 5 people at all times, skill issue.

Zaas - 60 High Elf Warrior
Saere - 60 Night Elf Priest
Splendra - 59 Inferno Mode Warlock
I play a few other classes on my friends' accounts.
Slowly leveling a Resto Dryad and a dorf pally with my buddy.

Kairion

Post by Kairion » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:02 am

Next to taking away from warlock and the traveling the world aspect, meeting stones also have this nasty side effectof only requiring the person summoning to be the appropriate level.

So its basically guaranteed half a dozen low level summon chars would contantly be sitting in front of meeting stones.

So instead of half the party traveling it gets reduced to one guy.

Turtle already added a few extra routes between kalimdor & the eastern kingdoms. The only place left that is annoying to get to is silithus. So there is not much being gained from meeting stones imho

Majestik51

Post by Majestik51 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:23 am

Vanilla ≠ Retail

dead_turtle_head
Necromantis - 60 lvl Warlock

Xerilin
Has liked: 14 times

Post by Xerilin » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:53 am

I first played on a vanilla server with summoning stones and even instant flight routes. It did not make people lazy or bad players in dungeons and it was a very nice community (this has more to do with server size and pve servers, not with summoning stones^^). It is just about what you are used to. When I played Classic, I really missed the stones, but then I got used to walking and now I don't really miss them anymore. While I personally wouldn't have much against them, I think it is absolutely fine for Turtle to stay true to its slow and steady philosophy with this, especially since many people are obviously very opposed to it. It's not like Turtle is in desperate need of new players right now, especially if they won't play solely due to one single lacking qol feature. When in doubt, it is understandable to opt for no changes and existing player base.
Komm zur Geheimen Zuflucht (RP-Gilde)! Wir haben Zimtschnecken!

Alienne Xerilin Rubinai Irrwisch Mekhalani Flinks Kinrela Cavy

Mac

Post by Mac » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:00 am

Remove LFT. Make it so you can only queue for a dungeon at that dungeon's meeting stone.

Geojak
Has liked: 28 times

Post by Geojak » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:28 am

Mac wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:00 am
Remove LFT. Make it so you can only queue for a dungeon at that dungeon's meeting stone.
+1 thqt is how blizzard meeting stones originally worked like

Sylveria
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Sylveria » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:42 am

Mac wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:00 am
Though nobody ever used those and instead Looked for a group via chat.
Back to square one.

Mac

Post by Mac » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:25 am

Meeting stones weren't used because they would just slap together groups of five rogues.

If you change their functionality so that you can actually queue as a role and remove LFT, people will actually use the meeting stones. Then when their groups are finally formed, people will likely still be nearby and you won't have to wait half an hour for your group to show up to the dungeon.
Last edited by Mac on Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:39 am, edited 5 times in total.

Elenar

Post by Elenar » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:25 am

This is Turtle. Like name suggests, no rush. No teleporting and jumping around, instant instances etc and anxiety. You gotta use those mounts for something.

Carroyo92

Post by Carroyo92 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:59 pm

+1 to summoning stone.

Boras

Post by Boras » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:21 am

Mackylol wrote:
I hate that the meeting stones aren't summoning stones but I bet I'm not the first one to post this, but I understand that some players do not want that from feedback in this thread.

How about this instead?

- Make the meeting stones an interactable object, giving the player a way to get back to an instance that they have travelled to. Only usable once, once used the item is consumed. The item is unique, you can only keep it for one instance at a time.

No, you already have warlocks.

Xudo
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Xudo » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:02 am

What about of compromise solution?
I think it is good idea to add some functionality to meeting stones. But I agree that they should not be summoning.

Player should be able to "bind" to meeting stone like it is done for innkeeper. When player binds to meeting stone, he gets "meetstone". When you use meetstone, you get teleported to meeting stone. Cooldown shared with Hearthstone.

This solution requires everyone to actually walk to meeting stone at least once.
You should think which dungeon you want to do next.
You bind to it and return to your usual business.
When you collected all quests, you join LFT.
When LFT finds you a group, then you can use your meetstone to teleport to bound dungeon.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Mac

Post by Mac » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:56 am

Xudo wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:02 am
I think it is good idea to add some functionality to meeting stones. But I agree that they should not be summoning.

Player should be able to "bind" to meeting stone like it is done for innkeeper. When player binds to meeting stone, he gets "meetstone". When you use meetstone, you get teleported to meeting stone. Cooldown shared with Hearthstone.

This solution requires everyone to actually walk to meeting stone at least once.
When LFT finds you a group, then you can use your meetstone to teleport to bound dungeon.
Great idea.

Kairion

Post by Kairion » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:32 am

Xudo wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:02 am

The idea sounds good in theory, but in practice half the server just gets a second hearthstone to farm DM:E

Xudo
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Xudo » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:50 am

Kairion wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:32 am
The idea sounds good in theory, but in practice half the server just gets a second hearthstone to farm DM:E
And other half of 60 players will get bound to blackrock?
It is not a bad outcome I think. We tolerate heartstones somehow.

You still don't motivate lazy people to wait for summon. You also are limited to single chosen dungeon and need to run for it at least once.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Mackylol

Post by Mackylol » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:30 am

Somewhat similar to the idea I edited my original post to be a week or so ago. I still think that "lazy man"-argument is a strawman but I also generally do not play with lazy people so my opinion is biased.
I would be more worried about getting someone into the group that plays lazily, running somewhere takes no effort but replacing someone is hardly worth it when it takes 30 minutes to get that replacement.

I also think that people should form their argument against something to instead suggest a restriction or whatever.. a problem is only a problem until you fix it.
Kairion wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:32 am
This is only really something that needs to be looked at for leveling dungeons in my opinion. There is no need for meeting stones to function really for end-game dungeons as they are all quite close to a capital city except DM.

I also dont think that it is very commonplace for someone to be confused about the time commitment for end-game dungeons.

Bigsmerf

Post by Bigsmerf » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:27 pm

I'm pretty neutral on the whole summoning stones idea. The only reason I'd want them implemented is so the lazy bums who expect a summon already could have what they want and I could start the run instead of waiting another hour for someone to replace them because they were too impatient to stay. Other than that I'd definitely like to keep the stones the way they are.
Elmhoof - 60 Feral, between tanking/dps (Main)
Anbone 34 Shadow Priest (Planned secondary main)
Manypunchman - 10 Naked Troll Boxer (Hardcore)

I'm back! More or less...

Faustorgo

Post by Faustorgo » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:04 pm

Mackylol wrote:

How about this instead?

Fuck yeah!, amazing idea bro +1billion

Sinrek
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Sinrek » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:18 pm

satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Elenar

Post by Elenar » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:53 pm

If you are so lazy then why you play ?
Bored ? Don't ruin the game for others because you are lazy and bored.
Bad idea.
You are shooting yourself in a knee and you don't know it.

Ingameacc12345

Post by Ingameacc12345 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:20 pm

Elenar wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:53 pm
You are shooting yourself in a knee and you don't know it.
Well put. I feel like 90% of "ideas" on this forum fall into this category.

Archtundra

Post by Archtundra » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:57 pm

+1 for summoning stones.
If you don't like it just don't use them. A lot of people want them.