Turtle WoWs amazing growth since Warmode

Mativh

Turtle WoWs amazing growth since Warmode

Post by Mativh » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:59 pm

I'm glad to see that I could contribute to this excellent server with the Warmode idea; which is basically having an option to play as if it was a pvp server within a pve server, pvp oriented people can do all they could on a pvp server, while the server remains to be pve by basic, and those that don't choose warmode won't be dragged into pvp against their will.

Before it there were ~200 people online, now there are 2000+.
First I've suggested in the world chat, there were arguments against it (that turned to insults when disproven), and I got a temporary mute (kind of unfairly, doesn't matter), but on the forum I could elaborate about it in more detail:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2068&p=14078#p14078
And it turned out to be a great addition.
Years ago there was a similar situation, back when Hardcore mode was what is today the Turtle mode, and I've suggested in the world chat that it should have perma death, something I've enjoyed a lot in Diablo 2, and people were saying that nobody would play a perma death hardcore mode. And years later it was implemented, people love it and it's one of the best wow communities I've played with.

As I've thought, Warmode (I called it optional pvp challenge) increased the population manifold, as many roleplayers consider the faction conflict to be an integral part of the warcraft lore and necessary for immersion. And with more players the donations to the server increased too, which ensures server longevity and capacity to create more great custom content.

There is this tribalism of PvP vs PvE players, but in my experience it's unfounded, I've met both decent and toxic people on both sides. I'm sure many Turtle WoW players that prefer PvE made friends with new players that like PvP.
It isn't about PvP, certain % of people are toxic, they tend to be loud too, and if the playerbase grows with it does all types of people, it really is a matter of perspective how one sees an influx of new players, most of them will adapt to the unique culture of Turtle Wow.
The servers growth attracted the attention of Activision, unfortunately. But that in turn served as an advertisement and led to even more growth.

Some things I'd change about the Warmode:
Getting flagged for PvP when buffing/healing someone in warmode, that can be avoided by simply paying attention to the colors, but there could be something in game that warns new pve players about this being able to happen, especially on hardcore it can be a problem if someone isn't aware of it.
And it shouldn't have an XP reward, because it incentivizes PvE players to use Warmode just for the sake of the xp bonus, and then they complain when they end up in a pvp situation, this is I've noticed, what is the cause of most people complaining about PvP.
If someone picks Warmode it should be purely for the sake of wanting to do PvP, that is a reward by itself, no gameplay enhancing compensation is neccesary.
What there could be instead is cosmetic rewards like in Turtle mode, titles at max level/throughout leveling. Preferably in the form of a warmode currency rewarded every 10 levels, which could be spent on an item of choice at a special vendor.
And something specifically for hardcore + warmode.
But definitely not a reward that affects gameplay.

Turtle WoW is the best server I've ever played on, exactly what I wanted for many years, I've been enjoying the server also with a lower population, but it's good to see it grow, and that more people know and support Turtle WoW.
Last edited by Mativh on Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

De-standardization of Classes - Immersive Racials [Undead]
My FB

Gantulga

Re: Turtle WoWs amazing growth since Warmode

Post by Gantulga » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:04 pm

My main gripe with WM (EXP buff aside) is that non-WM players are free to grief you in multiple ways. Things such as being stalked by somebody unflagged and only attacked once you're in a vulnerable position or the 5m unflag timer abuse to just resurrect, fully buff up and rest next to you, only to resume the stalking again.
You can also heal opposite faction players while grouped with them while those engage in PvP.

The ridiculous and completely unnecessary buffs to guards all over the world have also hurt PvP.

Markuis

Post by Markuis » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:03 pm

I agree. The exp. reward from WM doesn't make sense and people pick WM not to pvp but for the exp. boost.

Xudo
Has liked: 49 times

Post by Xudo » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:39 pm

Warmode should provide experience from PvP. Then it will make some sense.
Right now, it is just boost xp for little risk of being ganked.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Shamma

Post by Shamma » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:50 pm

I thought it made sense - provide a lure for levelers to turn on pvp, so that the pvp-ers have targets and not get too bored.

Breidr

Post by Breidr » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:49 am

I don't know about everyone else, but War Mode for me is a sometimes thing, and it's worked out well.

On my characters I play to relax, I take slow and steady. On my RP character that would be hostile towards the other faction, I take war mode.

So far griefing has been minimal, might just be lucky. As the content on this server is growing horizontally and there is no cap increase, I don't see the need to rocket to 60 everytime.
Brandal Millbridge - Hedge Wizard

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:13 am

Warmode with exp attached is a terrible idea. Devs have promised to remove exp bonus from warmode and implement it with better system. (Like if an account have max level, alts have exp bonus). Despite that promise, i see no follow ups about it. Hopefully, i see that changes come soon.

Of course, some hardcore gankers like it bcos it invite more 'victims' for them.
Let ppl who are interested in PVP turn on the warmode.

Fin

Post by Fin » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:17 am

Jongyi wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:13 am
Warmode with exp attached is a terrible idea. Devs have promised to remove exp bonus from warmode and implement it with better system. (Like if an account have max level, alts have exp bonus). Despite that promise, i see no follow ups about it. Hopefully, i see that changes come soon.

Of course, some hardcore gankers like it bcos it invite more 'victims' for them.
There was no such promise for warmode xp to be removed and if a account has max level alts to have xp bonus.

When decisions are taken a official post is made in the announcements or updates category.
The terms of a deal you accepted are not a suggestion. Respect them: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2097

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:28 am

Tinyfin wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:17 am
Jongyi wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:13 am

There was no such promise for warmode xp to be removed and if a account has max level alts to have xp bonus.

When decisions are taken a official post is made in the announcements or updates category.
Better system ( max character, alt with exp bonus) is suggestion from players. So I admit my wording is confusing
Of course, there are no official announcement yet.
But devs have already promised they will add changes to warmode in reddit
"We're also looking into options to make War Mode less appealing for those who don't want to PvP and more appealing for those who do, stand by for more news."
copied in his/her comments from reddit post 3 months ago.
It means they said there will be changes to make warmode to appeal to PVPers and not to bait PVErs into it.

Nyronic

Post by Nyronic » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:25 pm

I don't think warmode is what caused the surge in popularity. Personally I heard about this server because of Blizzard/Activation making a huge fuss about it which caused news of it to spread like wild fire.