Make Warlock Spellstones and Firestones not meme skills

Chnams

Make Warlock Spellstones and Firestones not meme skills

Post by Chnams » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:09 pm

Title, basically. Those two skills are beyond useless (save for some very niche uses in PvP for spellstone) because of the fact that, unlike Healthstone and Soulstone, they require to be equipped as an off-hand to gain their effect.

So why not make them on-use items instead, just like HS/SS? They should ideally share a cooldown with HS, as I think it would probably be too strong if they didn't.
To compensate the fact that they wouldn't be equippable items anymore, their effects would need to be slightly adjusted. I also think the Firestone effect is laughably bad (why would a warlock attack in melee? It doesn't make any sense gameplay or lore-wise) and needs to be changed to make it, if not viable, at least useable while still keeping its flavour.

I propose the following changes:

Spellstone: On use, removes harmful magic effects from the caster and grants a shield that absorbs X magic damage for 1 min. While the shield is active, increases your chance to get a critical strike with spells by 1%.

For firestone, I have a couple deas in mind:

1) On use, grants a buff that increases damage done by Fire spells and effects by up to X for 1 min. In addition, enchants your wand with fire for the duration of the effect, granting each wand attack a chance to deal X to Y additional Fire damage.
2) On use, grants a buff that increases damage done by Fire spells and effects by up to X for 1 min. In addition, you tap into fel fire energies for the duration of the effect, granting your damaging spells a chance to deal X to Y additional Fire damage.

What do you think?

Patadepalo

Re: Make Warlock Spellstones and Firestones not meme skills

Post by Patadepalo » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:10 pm

Since 2005 both stones are nearly useless...

I like the idea that become like a "consumable"

Imonobor
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Imonobor » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:50 pm

+1 sounds interesting. Another way they could work is as temporary weapon enchantments (like wizard oils and grindstones)
Nydas - 60 High Elf Mage (Nordanaar)
Farren - 60 Tauren Shaman (Nordanaar)
Gothric - 23 Human Paladin (Nordanaar)
Markal - 58 Undead Priest (Tel'Abim)

Balake

Post by Balake » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:23 pm

On use consumables, weapon oils, or relics (in the wand slot, like the paladin/druid/shaman items) all work.
I prefer relics cause wands are lame and their effects can be cool permanent stuff like Armor+thorns for a fire survival relic, cleanse+magic absorption for a magic survival relic, a relic that reduces gcd by 0.1 for DOT warlocks, and one that gives hit and haste for destruction.

Isvya

Post by Isvya » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:12 am

For firestone i could imagine it not being soulbound and enchants your weapon with a similar effect to flametongue while also increasing fire spell damage.
Spellstone as consumable... Yes

Chnams

Post by Chnams » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:17 am

Balake wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:23 pm
On use consumables, weapon oils, or relics (in the wand slot, like the paladin/druid/shaman items) all work.
I prefer relics cause wands are lame and their effects can be cool permanent stuff like Armor+thorns for a fire survival relic, cleanse+magic absorption for a magic survival relic, a relic that reduces gcd by 0.1 for DOT warlocks, and one that gives hit and haste for destruction.
Wands are good stat sticks though, and useful to keep dealing damage while waiting for your mana to regenerate in combat. Personally, I also don't really like the idea of replacing a piece of gear with a temporary summoned item.

Balake

Post by Balake » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:53 pm

Chnams wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:17 am
Balake wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:23 pm
Wands are good stat sticks though, and useful to keep dealing damage while waiting for your mana to regenerate in combat. Personally, I also don't really like the idea of replacing a piece of gear with a temporary summoned item.
I did not say they are not useful, I said they are lame. So being a stat stick while useful is not that interesting. Wand upgrades are also very hard to get once you already have the scholomance or stormwind vaults wand.

Wands are not good damage at max level, tap+drain life cycling will do more damage. If they become relics and stay conjured items then it's not really temporary. Conjured items only disappear after you log off for more than 20 minutes and 1 soulshard is easy to get.

Fun fact/tip: If you are somewhere with no mobs of your level, and you need 1 shard urgently, you can summon an infernal and kill it for a shard (costs a reagent that you can keep in your inventory all the time).

Xudo
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Xudo » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:27 am

Let the firestone to apply temporary (30m) enchant to weapon via trade and it will be very cool for tanks in PvE.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Ranzerain

Post by Ranzerain » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:35 pm

https://www.warcrafttavern.com/wow-clas ... e-warlock/

Melee warlock was a thing. Not a great thing but this is a place where that could change.

Shadow oil a profession ability was seen as stronger than Firestone! A talented class ability?

Let melee warlock come to be!

Mativh

Post by Mativh » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:06 pm

They are good ideas as far as these abilities being reworked to improve the warlocks other abilities.

But these stones were ment to be used in an unique playstyle where the warlock is complimenting it's pet or dots with melee attacks enhanced by demonic magic.

This is quite a cool concept but the stones aren't powerful enough.

I think it should be preserved and the stones simply made considerable as yet another kind of playstyle, instead of being changed to buff the rest of the abilities.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

De-standardization of Classes - Immersive Racials [Undead]
My FB

Balake

Post by Balake » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:58 pm

How about a "conjuring" profession like rogue poisons and it includes all the stones that already exist with a few more stones for variety as well as making healthstones stack in the inventory (not unique anymore)

Soul shards can have all sorts of uses and can be combined with crafting materials like enchanter shards, leatherworker armor kits (imbue them to give a different bonus, warlock theme is a powerful buff with a painful downside like bonus armor but melee weakness or the opposite)

Krokzogg

Post by Krokzogg » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:50 am

Watch the vanilla designer video on creating the warlock class.

Vanilla WoW Class Designer On Making Warlocks:

The firestone was originally created to make a melee weapon an alternative to the wand.

To be willing to use a melee weapon, it must put out a DPS comparable to a wand, or even more DPS to compensate for the fear of taking melee damage.

If, for example, for each proc of the Firestone to increase the threat of your demon, then it will make sense to beat the mobs in close combat. As well as the demons of the warlock will become better tankers.

Xudo
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Xudo » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:25 am

Idea of warlocks meleeing anything might be cool for leveling. But it is absolute nonsense for raids and group content.
Warlocks are good because they are ranged DPS.
Warlocks don't even need to improve wand damage because they can lifetap and are never OOM.

If devs will decide to improve wanding somehow, then it could have some sense.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Coldgaze2000

Post by Coldgaze2000 » Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:05 pm

Hello in this post I'm just pointing out something I found strange about the Master Conjurer Talent
viewtopic.php?t=14133

Hyrag
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Hyrag » Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:04 pm

firestone should interact with hellfire or some niche "Fire-lock" Spells.