How to revive Tel'abim

Eversongwoods

How to revive Tel'abim

Post by Eversongwoods » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:51 pm

This would 100% work to revive tel'abim and increase population by a lot..

Remove ranking system and all gear you can get from it, of course let everyone keep gear and titles they already have and put a deadline sometime in future for people still working on ranking. Six or so weeks after a raid comes out put carbon copies of all raid drops for sale with large amounts of honor, this gear would be idk pink quality or something instead of purple, called pvp gear and cannot be equipped in both dungeons and raids. Put a cap on honor so you cant stockpile it and with this system all forms of pvp where you recieve honor you would be working towards gear.

Ragetto

Re: How to revive Tel'abim

Post by Ragetto » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:07 pm

Interesting idea, though a bit radical turtle_tongue_head

I mentioned something not too far off in concept (essentially: having PvP gear that adapts to the introduction of new PvE content):

viewtopic.php?t=13201&start=48

However, I didn't set too strict restrictions that seem to disadvantage PvP players. I was betting on the fact that the gear would be different enough so that one couldn't be fully optimized in all contexts. As a result, the regulation would occur naturally.

For example, adopting your availability system:

1) Visually, it would be the same items as the raid drops, but with a different color/effect to distinguish them.

2) More survival stats, a bit less damage stats.

Thus, a PvE player will remain reasonably effective in PvP (due to high DPS), but less optimized than a pure PvP player... in PvP (less survival). And vice versa.

'Hybrid' players (and/or those who spend a lot of time on WoW) could mix the two to get gear 100% tailored to their needs, depending on the context.

Burunduk

Post by Burunduk » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:43 am

What can save Tel'Abim?
It should be something really interesting and unique, like special class changes only for Tel'Abim or new MOBA battleground.
Something that can bring new people.
But i don't think devs want to waste time for dead server.

Eversongwoods

Post by Eversongwoods » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:50 pm

Most people who play for the pvp also want nothing to do with raiding and wont bother with vanilla because you are forced to raid or have no job or life to get rank 14. Just give access to the gear and you would have players, nobody would care that you couldn't raid with the gear.

Imonobor
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Imonobor » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:02 pm

Tel'Abim doesn't need reviving, it's just fine. The lower population means that not everything is on farm by 10 people like on Nordanaar and meeting people out in the world, whether friend or foe, is actually meaningful, people are more likely to interact with you.

Sure, a lot could be improved in regards to the PvP systems, and a little more population wouldn't hurt, but so far I'm having a blast here. Stop whining about it being dead and enjoy the game ;)
I'd hate to see it become overcrowded like Nordanaar.
Nydas - 60 High Elf Mage (Nordanaar)
Farren - 60 Tauren Shaman (Nordanaar)
Gothric - 23 Human Paladin (Nordanaar)
Markal - 58 Undead Priest (Tel'Abim)

Sgadow

Post by Sgadow » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:49 pm

500+ on Tel'Banana when I checked today, seems to be alive and well.

Ishilu

Post by Ishilu » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:52 pm

Imonobor wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:02 pm
[...]
Just this.

Gladeshadow

Post by Gladeshadow » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:14 pm

What could save Tel'Abim is actually being a pvp server, which means pvp in the open world.

Seeing either faction beg for people to sign up for the BG of the day and whine when people pick others or play however they want to play is cringe and sad. It also reflects the current state of pvp on the server.

If people wanted structured BG pvp, they should have rolled on the PVE server, which offers all that. The devs should make world pvp more appealing by adding world goals for the factions, kind of like capturing the towers in EPL or resource collection in Silithus. Having such intentional world pvp all around the world in STV, Hillsbrad, Felwood, Azshara etc. would encourage world pvp and make it an actual pvp server rather than the BG queue which a lot of players seem to lack the imagination to go beyond.

Majestik51

Post by Majestik51 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:28 am

Burunduk wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:43 am
What can save Tel'Abim?
It should be something really interesting and unique, like special class changes only for Tel'Abim or new MOBA battleground.
Something that can bring new people.
But i don't think devs want to waste time for dead server.
i did suggest it last year already viewtopic.php?p=40503&hilit=dota+battleground#p40503
Necromantis - 60 lvl Warlock

Gladeshadow

Post by Gladeshadow » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:01 am

The devs invested lots of time on the main server when it had fewer players than Tel'Abim does now.

I personally enjoy Tel'Abim. Currently, there's the feeling of being an adventurer in the world, which should be a rare thing. Crossing paths with another adventurer is fun. Compare that to having a bunch of players running around, which comparatively takes away the RP vibe.

BGs remove players from the world and are part of the PVE experience since they exist there are well. So anyone interested in BGs can be on the PVE server. New BGs are fine and great, but that's really thinking big scale when it's the simple things that (probably) require many few design hours.

As I said in my last post, simply adding areas to capture (EPL), resources to accumulate (Silithus), and other such ideas would take a lot less time to implement but would add pvp flavor. Another example are the world bosses which are currently 60 raid content. These are nice for competition, but there could be rares dynamically spawn as well. When someone of a faction gets the kill for that rare, there is buff dropped zonewide for members of that faction. Example: Add a rare spawn troll to Stranglethorn Vale. If a member of a faction kills it, that faction gets +5% damage or +1% crit or anything along those lines.

There are a lot of great ideas that are more complicated, but walking before running is the general idea.

Ataika

Post by Ataika » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:36 am

Gladeshadow wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:01 am
The devs invested lots of time on the main server when it had fewer players than Tel'Abim does now.

I personally enjoy Tel'Abim. Currently, there's the feeling of being an adventurer in the world, which should be a rare thing. Crossing paths with another adventurer is fun. Compare that to having a bunch of players running around, which comparatively takes away the RP vibe.

BGs remove players from the world and are part of the PVE experience since they exist there are well. So anyone interested in BGs can be on the PVE server. New BGs are fine and great, but that's really thinking big scale when it's the simple things that (probably) require many few design hours.

As I said in my last post, simply adding areas to capture (EPL), resources to accumulate (Silithus), and other such ideas would take a lot less time to implement but would add pvp flavor. Another example are the world bosses which are currently 60 raid content. These are nice for competition, but there could be rares dynamically spawn as well. When someone of a faction gets the kill for that rare, there is buff dropped zonewide for members of that faction. Example: Add a rare spawn troll to Stranglethorn Vale. If a member of a faction kills it, that faction gets +5% damage or +1% crit or anything along those lines.

There are a lot of great ideas that are more complicated, but walking before running is the general idea.
Your suggestions are for already playing guys.
I doubt some1 will think "oh cool they have contested silithus ill will jum into this server".

We have to suggest something that changes server fundamentaly, not making it just_another_vanilla_server with minor tweaks.
Just my point of view - i've seen a lot of players complaining they dont have time to raid byt want to pvp, yet they do not pvp because competing with pve geared guys is hard when u have only pvp gear. Yes current banana progression does not bring big gear disadvantage as main one but its inevitable, so people dont want to invest their time into something that will be ruined regardless.

So i suggest to introduce pve gear similar to pve sets but tied to honor/marks/rep/city_raids whatever u chose, but this gear will have lets say 10% or 15% worse stats than its pve counterpart. In that case players who want only pvp wont spend their precious time in raids but manage to keep up with gear propgression without complaining "oh their team is full t3 its not fun", and pve players will have a reason to raid to have a slight advantage as a reward for their work, so pve part is not cut of the game too due to gear bein avaliable for pvp currency.
Or something similar just with the main idea "give pvpers gear and dont force them to raid".

In this case there will be a reason for newcomers to join this server, because main server does not offer such option so u have to be a raid slave there and not many people want to spend 3/7 days per week sitting in raid to be competitive in pvp. Vanilla raids are time consuming and scare away many pvp players for a reason.

Xudo
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Xudo » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:04 am

Alternative gearing for PvP players was announced, but "coming when it is done"(c)
It somehow related to phases of Tel'Abim. BWL there was delayed to get some time to prepare that alternative PvP gear.

I think that best advertisment for server will be "we nerfed twinks" and "you can level by PvP". It will boost amount of low level battlegrounds and allow PvP players to join and play as they really like.

While I do understand that battlegrounds are not main focus of server devs, I can't agree that battlegrounds should be disabled. If devs make level brackets like 16-19 instead of 10-19, then people will be in the world for 6 levels and then join battleground. Both activities will get enough attention from people.
Battlegrounds are one of the few reliable sources of PvP gear. Other is ranking, but reputational gear don't require great time sacrifices.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Ibux
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Ibux » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:12 am

it will probably take time to develop good solutions to get people back to the server. in the meantime, play on the pve server during the more dead time zones on the pvp server?

Gladeshadow

Post by Gladeshadow » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:39 am

I think you skimmed and misinterpretted what I said.

The idea is to make more zones have pvp aspects than those that already have some pvp aspect. Like adding some kind of faction competition in Stranglethorn that buffs those of a faction in the zone if the mission is completed by said faction. It also gives reason to be present in zones other than for simply leveling/questing, making it more of a living world. It's just an example.

The change you suggested is already being worked on, as noted by others here.

Ideas for grand new BGs, world honor systems and associated leveling gear are great. However, they also take a lot of time. Particularly map making. The idea I proposed is largely something that *might* be easily implemented and doesn't require overengineering. The devs already know how to create custom mobs. Then it's mostly a matter of implementing a conditional statement: IF player of [faction] kills [named mob], THEN buff faction of [player].

It's not recreating the wheel or adding glitter to the wheel. It's really just re-implementing stuff that exists in other zones like EPL with its tower capture system into other zones.
Ataika wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:36 am

Your suggestions are for already playing guys.
I doubt some1 will think "oh cool they have contested silithus ill will jum into this server".

We have to suggest something that changes server fundamentaly, not making it just_another_vanilla_server with minor tweaks.
Just my point of view - i've seen a lot of players complaining they dont have time to raid byt want to pvp, yet they do not pvp because competing with pve geared guys is hard when u have only pvp gear. Yes current banana progression does not bring big gear disadvantage as main one but its inevitable, so people dont want to invest their time into something that will be ruined regardless.

So i suggest to introduce pve gear similar to pve sets but tied to honor/marks/rep/city_raids whatever u chose, but this gear will have lets say 10% or 15% worse stats than its pve counterpart. In that case players who want only pvp wont spend their precious time in raids but manage to keep up with gear propgression without complaining "oh their team is full t3 its not fun", and pve players will have a reason to raid to have a slight advantage as a reward for their work, so pve part is not cut of the game too due to gear bein avaliable for pvp currency.
Or something similar just with the main idea "give pvpers gear and dont force them to raid".

In this case there will be a reason for newcomers to join this server, because main server does not offer such option so u have to be a raid slave there and not many people want to spend 3/7 days per week sitting in raid to be competitive in pvp. Vanilla raids are time consuming and scare away many pvp players for a reason.

Slashignore

Post by Slashignore » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:48 pm

no it wont do shit.

we need to advertise for the server online and make people aware of it!

Xudo

Post by Xudo » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:04 pm

Slashignore wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:48 pm
I believe that after recent peak, almost everyone know about turtle. Any advertisment should be done only after some important changes. And devs do it. Development roadmap 2024-2025 was send by email attached to account. There is also reddit and this forum. Intrusive advertising will only annoy people.
Have fun not only at 60.

Ibux
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Ibux » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:09 pm

Xudo wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:04 pm
Slashignore wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:48 pm
I believe that after recent peak, almost everyone know about turtle. Any advertisment should be done only after some important changes. And devs do it. Development roadmap 2024-2025 was send by email attached to account. There is also reddit and this forum. Intrusive advertising will only annoy people.
turtle could set a date to host a big level 19 twink contest with a sweet price. or players could donate for a item or money price for the contest.

Koronisz

Post by Koronisz » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:28 pm

Imonobor wrote:
Tel'Abim doesn't need reviving, it's just fine. The lower population means that not everything is on farm by 10 people like on Nordanaar and meeting people out in the world, whether friend or foe, is actually meaningful, people are more likely to interact with you.

Sure, a lot could be improved in regards to the PvP systems, and a little more population wouldn't hurt, but so far I'm having a blast here. Stop whining about it being dead and enjoy the game ;)
I'll never understand the audacity of individuals like you. The server has been up since October and you are not even 60. Your opinion is completely irrelevant. It is the equivalent of going to a public city council and telling the folks that have been living there for 30 years that they are wrong to ask for changes because your experience as a 6 months fresh new comer has been different. Just shut the F up.

Unless you're playing at core EU times you're facing the same opponents every battleground and most of the time they don't even fill up. The experience on Tel'Abim has been dreadful.

~~~~

As to every other suggestions in this thread. You can tell nobody has really played this game. Forcing players into unbalanced (world) PvP is NOT enjoyed but from a small portion of the population and having world objectives that helps with raiding just leads to cross faction collusion and/or people rolling the dominating faction. Same thing is true for encouraging PvP in leveling zones. It just leads to lowbies getting camped and quitting the game. Who wants to spend their evening after work corpse running when there are so many other games to play?

The honor system is a rat race that needs to be scrapped in favor of the TBC pre-patch one (gear purchasable with
honor points). There should also be PvP gear tiers released in sync with PvE ones. Previous seasons gear should also be trivial to get for new 60s/alts (catch up gear). This is essentially how arena gear worked on live. My understanding is this is their objective but they couldn't deliver prior to releasing BWL which is unfortunately further increasing the gear gap between raiders and PvPers.

Gladeshadow

Post by Gladeshadow » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:07 pm

Nobody is looking to force players into world PvP. However, do note that it is a PvP server and there is the established PvE one for those who don’t want a PvP experience. I don’t personally understand why that crowd is on Tel’Abim.
Koronisz wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:28 pm

I'll never understand the audacity of individuals like you. The server has been up since October and you are not even 60. Your opinion is completely irrelevant. It is the equivalent of going to a public city council and telling the folks that have been living there for 30 years that they are wrong to ask for changes because your experience as a 6 months fresh new comer has been different. Just shut the F up.

Unless you're playing at core EU times you're facing the same opponents every battleground and most of the time they don't even fill up. The experience on Tel'Abim has been dreadful.

~~~~

As to every other suggestions in this thread. You can tell nobody has really played this game. Forcing players into unbalanced (world) PvP is NOT enjoyed but from a small portion of the population and having world objectives that helps with raiding just leads to cross faction collusion and/or people rolling the dominating faction. Same thing is true for encouraging PvP in leveling zones. It just leads to lowbies getting camped and quitting the game. Who wants to spend their evening after work corpse running when there are so many other games to play?

The honor system is a rat race that needs to be scrapped in favor of the TBC pre-patch one (gear purchasable with
honor points). There should also be PvP gear tiers released in sync with PvE ones. Previous seasons gear should also be trivial to get for new 60s/alts (catch up gear). This is essentially how arena gear worked on live. My understanding is this is their objective but they couldn't deliver prior to releasing BWL which is unfortunately further increasing the gear gap between raiders and PvPers.

Imonobor
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Imonobor » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:25 pm

Koronisz wrote:
Imonobor wrote:

Woah okay mate. Figure out your complexes.
I never said I was against the proposed changes or an increase in population. Just not to the extent of Nordanaar, because it's unplayable due to overcrowding there. Sorry my experience and playstyle differs from yours I guess, mister "I've been here since the beginning so my word should bear more weight".
Spewing hateful crap without actually reading people's posts is not a way to go.
Nydas - 60 High Elf Mage (Nordanaar)
Farren - 60 Tauren Shaman (Nordanaar)
Gothric - 23 Human Paladin (Nordanaar)
Markal - 58 Undead Priest (Tel'Abim)

Koronisz

Post by Koronisz » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:35 pm

Imonobor wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:25 pm
Koronisz wrote:
Imonobor wrote:

Woah okay mate. Figure out your complexes.
I never said I was against the proposed changes or an increase in population. Just not to the extent of Nordanaar, because it's unplayable due to overcrowding there. Sorry my experience and playstyle differs from yours I guess, mister "I've been here since the beginning so my word should bear more weight".
Spewing hateful crap without actually reading people's posts is not a way to go.
"Spewing hateful crap" lmao what a fragile man you are. Nordanaar being overpopulated to your taste does not warrant keeping Tel'Abim underpopulated for everyone who actually play the game because you enjoy your 2 hours a week solo 'adventure'.
Gladeshadow wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:07 pm
Nobody is looking to force players into world PvP. However, do note that it is a PvP server and there is the established PvE one for those who don’t want a PvP experience. I don’t personally understand why that crowd is on Tel’Abim.
Koronisz wrote:

~~~~

Literally everything you've suggested is to force people out of battlegrounds and into the world by making the carrot at the end of the stick much bigger. Which, by the way, they are already planning on doing by adding loot to city rulers. Most rolled on this realm because it was fresh and wanted to get away from SEA players. SoD came out a month later and that was enough to quickly send it on life support.

You somehow assume that people are not rolling on this realm because there are not enough PvP opportunities. The grand majority has never enjoyed world PvP other than the ones who normally get smoked in a more organized setting (battlegrounds). Any type of front liners usually get globalled while ranges sit at the back playing snipers. Case in point, blizzard had to put a whole raid boss in wintergrasp to get players to participate.

There might be about a 1000 players active population on Tel'Abim and unless it's the daily BG we can't even get Alterac Valley to pop. In other words, most don't even participate in any form of PvP and just raid log.

We need more players by enticing folks to roll on this realm instead of the main one by providing an alternate experience. Faster leveling, easier to obtain gear, class balance changes, removal of racials, etc. It's no longer sufficient to claim it offers a fresher experience when players are already running around with BWL gear. We need more compelling reasons to differentiate it and bring new players faster in the fight.

Eversongwoods

Post by Eversongwoods » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:32 pm

Seems to me like a complete waste to have a vanilla+ server where the devs are doing a excellent job of adding to the world of azeroth but its just the same vertical progession raid log experience that blizzard provides. In a yr and a half of playing twow i have 4 lvl 60s, three lvl 35 prof alts on nordanaar and two lvl 60's on tel'abim and there is no reason for me to even attempt to pvp here. If i didn't enjoy farming/economy of wow which most people dont, then i would have no reason to be here. Just saying this because i'm sure there are other players in the same boat or have left because of this.

Kwall

Post by Kwall » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:22 am

I feel like the best way to keep a pvp server alive is with "seasons" with maybe customer gear sets and pvp quests if new content isn't being produced everything gets stale eventually.

Nairolf

Post by Nairolf » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:14 am

I would love some more open world objectives. Like give every contestet zone 2 or 3 turrets to control. If one faction controls all the towers they get a buff with 10% extra XP and 10-50 Silver per minute, depending on the level range of the zone, for all the factions players in the zone, . Level 60 zones could have bigger objectives like strongholds with some rewards, i don't know.

And if you kill a player in your level range they could spawn a little chest with some money and crafting materials.

Mackylol

Post by Mackylol » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:36 pm

Eversongwoods wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:51 pm
This would 100% work to revive tel'abim and increase population by a lot..

Remove ranking system and all gear you can get from it, of course let everyone keep gear and titles they already have and put a deadline sometime in future for people still working on ranking. Six or so weeks after a raid comes out put carbon copies of all raid drops for sale with large amounts of honor, this gear would be idk pink quality or something instead of purple, called pvp gear and cannot be equipped in both dungeons and raids. Put a cap on honor so you cant stockpile it and with this system all forms of pvp where you recieve honor you would be working towards gear.
Pretty certain this will have the opposite effect -- you want "world pvp" but the simple fact remains, there is no incentive to do so.
You will just lose the players who dislike raiding in favor of battlegrounds.

The server needs more features, not fewer. Preferrably unique ones to not just be a replica of Nordanaar without the challenges.

Eversongwoods

Post by Eversongwoods » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:08 am

The current system is spam bgs for 60+hrs a week to rank and half the people who do it just do it to sell the acct.

As long as you use honor as a currency to buy gear and items with everything being BoP (prevent afkrs) i dont think world the pvp objectives in the world would be that complex,just simple towers/flags/timers. From my experience playing on Emerald Dream back in the day and how much fun tol barad island was, i would have a zone with a neutral faction that has a dozer or so dailys for 25/50 honor each. Sounds stupid but have both factions doing the same quests and if you have enough players its a constant war.

Xudo

Post by Xudo » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:25 am

Eversongwoods wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:08 am
a zone with a neutral faction that has a dozer or so dailys for 25/50 honor each. Sounds stupid but have both factions doing the same quests and if you have enough players its a constant war.
You don't need neutral faction to make more quests with same objectives for horde and alliance.
But you can't just add those quests to every zone in the world.
Low population will spread thin over whole world and almost all objectives will be done without confrontation.
Quests of this type should be concentrated in 1 or 2 zones to collect critical mass of players.
One of the possible solution is to make those quest seasonal and turn them on by schedule. Like it is done with Darkmoon Faire. For example: Week 1 - Hillsbrad, Week 2 - Ashenvale.

We have Gurubashi arena now, but it can be considered popular only 5 minutes every 3 hours.

There is also a problem of level difference. If you add competitive world pvp objectives to Hillsbrad, then alts with "guards" will dominate them leaving no room for other players.
Even if devs somehow prevent high levels to interfere low level pvp objectives, then there is twinks with 1.5k hp on lvl 19. They will ruin all fun for regular levelers.
Have fun not only at 60.

Mahga

Post by Mahga » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:53 am

Eversongwoods wrote:
The current system is spam bgs for 60+hrs a week to rank and half the people who do it just do it to sell the acct.

As long as you use honor as a currency to buy gear and items with everything being BoP (prevent afkrs) i dont think world the pvp objectives in the world would be that complex,just simple towers/flags/timers. From my experience playing on Emerald Dream back in the day and how much fun tol barad island was, i would have a zone with a neutral faction that has a dozer or so dailys for 25/50 honor each. Sounds stupid but have both factions doing the same quests and if you have enough players its a constant war.
In my expérience ranking during classic wow, we have to be very carefull with world pvp :

Between Phase 2 and BG release, the honor system worked exclusivily with World pvp honor grind. At first it was just a
bloodbath everywhere, as you would expect from a pvp server. But, as rankers we had to make sure to be ahead of the curve.
So we did what was optimal at the time : camp every alliance flight path with a mage a priest and other dps - the mage would polymorph upon arrival, then the priest would mind control the target to get it flagged ( you normally land with a debuff preventing honor gain) then the target would get camped until it was worth 0 honor (~10 death later nerfed 5). For me (druid) and my pal rogue, we camped every single boat in theramore making it impossible to travel without getting killed at least twice.

It was, at the time, very fun. But i also noticed during that time many alliance leaving the server. And of course, it happened everywhere, all at once. On Every Single Pvp Server, a global genocide of its weaker faction.What followed was a mass exodus of player to form almost uni-faction realm.

Thats what the vanilla pvp system gets you with only world pvp. Optimising the fun out of the game, for everyone.
Last edited by Mahga on Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gladeshadow

Post by Gladeshadow » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:51 am

This is why I think it's good to be careful with honor farming through killing, as you said.

I'll mention again: Give contested zones some kind of pvp faction bonus for achieving a goal, same as in EPL. For example, in the Stonetalon Mountains have both sides compete for control of Mirkfallon Lake. Whatever side controls it gets a slight boost to their stats *while in the zone* and possibly access to a within zone vendor selling gear of decent value for the level range of the zone. This also solves the problem of having 60s camp the zone if they have incentive to be elsewhere in other areas that also provide them benefits equal to their level.
Mahga wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:53 am
Eversongwoods wrote:

In my expérience raking during classic wow, we have to be very carefull with world pvp :

Between Phase 2 and BG release, the honor system worked exclusivily with World pvp honor grind. At first it was just a
bloodbath everywhere, as you would expect from a pvp server. But, as rankers we had to make sure to be ahead of the curve.
So we did what was optimal at the time : camp every alliance flight path with a mage a priest and other dps - the mage would polymorph upon arrival, then the priest would mind control the target to get it flagged ( you normally land with a debuff preventing honor gain) then the target would get camped until it was worth 0 honor (~10 death later nerfed 5). For me (druid) and my pal rogue, we camped every single boat in theramore making it impossible to travel without getting killed at least twice.

It was, at the time, very fun. But i also noticed during that time many alliance leaving the server. And of course, it happened everywhere, all at once. On Every Single Pvp Server, a global genocide of its weaker faction.What followed was a mass exodus of player to form almost uni-faction realm.

Thats what the vanilla pvp system gets you with only world pvp. Optimising the fun out of the game, for everyone.