Twilight highlands

Redmoon

Twilight highlands

Post by Redmoon » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:35 pm

Any plans for twilight highlands / grim batol?

Galendor

Re: Twilight highlands

Post by Galendor » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:10 pm

Well, the Highlands in retail WoW are ravaged by the Twilight Hammer cult whose huge presence in this location is unnatural for Vanilla.

Mrkrissatan

Post by Mrkrissatan » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:38 am

I can imagine grim batol being added eventually, we'll just have to wait and see

Allwynd01
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Allwynd01 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:06 pm

Galendor wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:10 pm
Well, the Highlands in retail WoW are ravaged by the Twilight Hammer cult whose huge presence in this location is unnatural for Vanilla.
The area is still in the world, just called The Highlands. There are a lot of those areas on the map that clearly exist, but aren't accessible in the game. I think this should be the main focus for new content for the server - populating these areas with playable zones.

Then adding expansion content such as Kezan in a state before it was destroyed by Deathwing and some other such interesting island locations that never got the time to shine. Obviously no need for Northrend, because it was already explored in the game and it would be a waste of time to have it all over again.

Regarding Eversong Woods and Ghostlands, I'm not sure, because on the one hand they were already explored in the game and they had to be put in Outland, because the map of Eastern Kingdoms did not have enough space to facilitate them, but it would be interesting to have them as some sort of a high level area where the scourge is fought.

One thing in Cataclysm that I liked about the revamping of the old zones concerns Felwood, The Plaguelands, The Barrens, Desolace and Duskwood which are all territories that were ravaged by something, but got somewhat healed, Duskwood not as much, but Raven Hill got a Worgen settlement, so that was something. It would be cool to see Stratholme being partially cleaned and maybe serving as a town or a hub for the Argent Dawn.

Bellybutton

Post by Bellybutton » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:11 pm

Galendor wrote:
The Turtle WoW staff have said again that stuff in retail isn't necessarily canon in Turtle.
There's a lot of ways they could implement The Highlands in Turtle WoW without being like retail at all.
I'd like to see the Wildhammer dwarves get some love.
Allwynd01 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:06 pm
Then adding expansion content such as Kezan in a state before it was destroyed by Deathwing
I'd like to see something done with Kezan in the vain of how it's described in the RPG, rather than how it's done in retail.
The Undermine has always fascinated me from a lore perspective and I've always been sad that it's never actually in the game. The vast sprawling underground capital of Goblins.
I'd like to at least see the Undermine turned into an in-game city, or even some late game dungeon. Potentially a mix of both, like describing that within the city is a cordoned off section of the Undermine leading to an instanced dungeon where a corrupt despotic Goblin Trade Prince is trying to seize control of the whole Undermine and within the dungeon is a mix of Goblins, foreign mercenaries, pirates and even collaborators like the Defias.
Zamba the Unruly
"Zamba be sensing the winds of change in da air. Can you be feeling it too, mon?"

Redmoon

Post by Redmoon » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:43 pm

Galendor wrote:
You have red dragons , wild hammer dwarves and dragon maw orcs etc they could do a lot with just that it would also be cool seeing a pre cata version which we never got in retail

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:05 pm

Redmoon wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:43 pm
Galendor wrote:
You have red dragons , wild hammer dwarves and dragon maw orcs etc they could do a lot with just that it would also be cool seeing a pre cata version which we never got in retail
Aaaaaand this is where the fun begins.
We never have pre-cata version because there was no such version in-game. We have "Empty-pre-cata-place" and "Giant-Twilight-cata-zone". That's all.
So, if the playerbase really want the Highlands, devs have two ways:
1) Take the Cataclysm zone and "de-twilight" it - because, as i wrote earlier, such presence of the cult is unnatural for Vanilla;
2) Take empty Vanilla space in mountains and build zone from scratch.

Both variants demand a lot of efforts: you can see the scale of the work here https://wow.tools/maps/Azeroth/1144/6/-38.664/49.781 and there https://wow.tools/maps/Azeroth/23/6/-39.648/32.969.

Aeliren

Post by Aeliren » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:20 pm

There's a guy on Reddit who came up with ideas for Classic-style retail zones and some other custom zones a couple years ago, was pretty interesting.

Twilight Highlands was one of these zones. This was what they came up with: the Wildhammer Highlands (since the Twilight's Hammer isn't involved).

Of course, I'm not saying it needs to happen, but seeing how the subject came up I think it's interesting, and maybe Turtle WoW might do something along the same lines at some point. And maybe not, maybe they'll do their own thing, or maybe nothing.

More work by the same person:
  • Northern Lordaeron (Custom zone north of the Plaguelands, but currently occupied by Alah'thalas in Turtle WoW so unlikely to happen)
  • The Savage Coast (Custom zone to the east of Stranglethorn and south of Blasted Lands)
  • Bloodsail Bay (Custom zone on the opposite side of the Thousand Needles)
  • The Verdant Breach (Custom zone nestled in between Feralas, Un'Goro, Silithus and the Thousand Needles)
  • Ship's End Cove (Custom zone in the area between Elwynn Forest and Dun Morogh)
Characters:
Coilspring - 60 gnome hunter
Megwynn - 60 human rogue

Suggestions:
Pyrewood Village Suggestions
Hunter Epic Ammo Pouch Suggestion

Bitterman

Post by Bitterman » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:46 pm

TW needs to prune all of that unused area surrounding dun morogh to add the channel islands and kul tiras back

Redmoon

Post by Redmoon » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:26 pm

Wait twilight highlands does have more dwarf buildings than the rest of the game combined minus ironforge wtf

Redmoon

Post by Redmoon » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:43 pm

https://i.redd.it/8u2t6p62fs331.png
I actually really like the wildhammer highlands idea a lot

Allwynd01

Post by Allwynd01 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:11 pm

Aeliren wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:20 pm
There's a guy on Reddit who came up with ideas for Classic-style retail zones and some other custom zones a couple years ago, was pretty interesting.

Of course, I'm not saying it needs to happen, but seeing how the subject came up I think it's interesting, and maybe Turtle WoW might do something along the same lines at some point. And maybe not, maybe they'll do their own thing, or maybe nothing.

• Ship's End Cove (Custom zone in the area between Elwynn Forest and Dun Morogh)

All of this is very awesome to have, but this "Ship's End Cove" is the only one that bugs me - there is so much empty space north of Stormwind City that can be a part of this zone, but it isn't. I know Stormwind is weirdly built where the actual floor of the city is floating meters above the actual ground of the map itself and there are some clipping issues here and there, but I don't see why the mountain range north can't be moved south and this new zone expanded.

In Cataclysm where they introduce the Stormwind City Park, in a way the innards of the city were properly connected with the actual ground terrain so it's obviously not as big of an issue as presented.

Another thing that bugs me about these custom zones is that all of them are just too small. Aside from Deadwind Pass, no other Vanilla zone is as small as these and there isn't really a reason for them to be like that. This creator could have given themselves a little more freedom and expanded them a bit more. Especially the two zones on Kalimdor that look like counterparts of Darkshore could use being a tad wider so that they can house more content.

Either way, if the Turtle WoW team can notice those and find them interesting, maybe they can contact the person who created them and through some sort of collaboration have them implemented into Turtle WoW, even in their original appearance and layout, I'd be happier to have them than to not have them.

Bitterman

Post by Bitterman » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:01 pm

The Empty area is pretty much where old stormwind ruins would be along with the cata park.

Aeliren

Post by Aeliren » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:24 pm

Allwynd01 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:11 pm
Aeliren wrote:

All of this is very awesome to have, but this "Ship's End Cove" is the only one that bugs me - there is so much empty space north of Stormwind City that can be a part of this zone, but it isn't. I know Stormwind is weirdly built where the actual floor of the city is floating meters above the actual ground of the map itself and there are some clipping issues here and there, but I don't see why the mountain range north can't be moved south and this new zone expanded.

In Cataclysm where they introduce the Stormwind City Park, in a way the innards of the city were properly connected with the actual ground terrain so it's obviously not as big of an issue as presented.

Another thing that bugs me about these custom zones is that all of them are just too small. Aside from Deadwind Pass, no other Vanilla zone is as small as these and there isn't really a reason for them to be like that. This creator could have given themselves a little more freedom and expanded them a bit more. Especially the two zones on Kalimdor that look like counterparts of Darkshore could use being a tad wider so that they can house more content.

Either way, if the Turtle WoW team can notice those and find them interesting, maybe they can contact the person who created them and through some sort of collaboration have them implemented into Turtle WoW, even in their original appearance and layout, I'd be happier to have them than to not have them.
Might just be me, but other than Bloodsail Hold (which the creator intended to be more of a hub for Bloodsail players so that may be the intention) and the Verdant Breach, they seem roughly the approximate size of Turtle WoW's Lapidis Isle and Gillijim's Isle at the smallest, and a bit closer to Darkshore-size at the largest. They're built for the most part as shoreline areas, so are stretched out rather than being a large mass of land. But hey, more zone area is always welcome.

Interestingly enough, the idea of a body of water between Dun Morogh and Elwynn Forest existed since alpha (likely to account for the Deeprun Tram running underwater) but was replaced with the mountains by the time the game released.

I definitely think that similar ideas for zones in the "unused" areas could work, especially for a game like Turtle WoW. The creator also had interesting ideas for dungeons in some of those new areas.

If anyone from the Turtle WoW team wants to contact them, they're ChromedDragon on reddit.
Characters:
Coilspring - 60 gnome hunter
Megwynn - 60 human rogue

Suggestions:
Pyrewood Village Suggestions
Hunter Epic Ammo Pouch Suggestion

Bigspliffa22

Post by Bigspliffa22 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:05 am

Aeliren wrote:

Twilight Highlands was one of these zones. This was what they came up with: the Wildhammer Highlands (since the Twilight's Hammer isn't involved).

• Northern Lordaeron (Custom zone north of the Plaguelands, but currently occupied by Alah'thalas in Turtle WoW so unlikely to happen)
  • The Savage Coast (Custom zone to the east of Stranglethorn and south of Blasted Lands)
  • The Verdant Breach (Custom zone nestled in between Feralas, Un'Goro, Silithus and the Thousand Needles)
These maps are fire asf. Devs take inspiration

Energyreflect

Post by Energyreflect » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:53 pm

Those are awesome! Always wondered to myself what those gaps could be filled in with. Another thing is why not add some more archipelagos, like Feralas, to expand some of these coastal zones a bit? Could work nicely in the Savage Coast idea.

Chnams

Post by Chnams » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:35 pm

Aeliren wrote:

Those are some awesome ideas, would love to see them implemented here.

Mac

Post by Mac » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:50 am

Aeliren wrote:

Wow, these are really cool. Thanks for sharing them.

Geojak
Has liked: 26 times

Post by Geojak » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:39 am

I would like to see a grim bartol and uldum dungeon first. Hyjal open zone next. Maybe another cavern of time dungeon.

Before that I wouldn't want them to spent huge amount of efforts on completely revamping the map

Volkyte

Post by Volkyte » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:17 am

Northern lordaeron is undoable in trtle because developers placed there the new high elf capital (reason unknown lol). Either they move the whole high elf area and put in place of scarlet stuff appearing in that map or just no more lordaeron northern side.

Masonmiles43

Post by Masonmiles43 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:06 pm

Hello, all. I loved progressing through classic from beta all the way to phase 6, but something just didn't click for me in TBC so I quit then. I played a warlock all through classic and wanted to try a fury warrior this time around after seeing how broken they were.

Hawkknight

Post by Hawkknight » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:25 am

Seeing the Wildhammer Highlands would be awesome to see.

Bittermens

Post by Bittermens » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:32 am

i come from the future and grim batol was open

Mac

Post by Mac » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:31 am

Aeliren wrote:

These are really cool. Always fun to see someone’s passion project like this.

Sylveria

Post by Sylveria » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:10 am

Aeliren wrote:

The Veiled Strand looks really really cool! I really love the look of nightelven areas and I'd wish for another one like Teldrassil/Darkshore/Ashenvale with an maybe more purple'ish shimmer. <3 <3 <3