Diablo 2 like stamina system for running

Glarthir

Diablo 2 like stamina system for running

Post by Glarthir » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:06 pm

You read it right. If this indeed is a server with a Hardcore aspect and is a true RP hub, you guys should add running as a limited feature either as a glyph or unto one of the existing glyphs

Allwynd01

Re: Diablo 2 like stamina system for running

Post by Allwynd01 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:59 pm

Have you played The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind without mods?

Do you know how annoying it was in there when you ran out of Stamina almost after a minute of running, what's worse, not having Stamina meant your attacks also missed, be it melee, ranged or spells.

For this there are countless mods that "fix" this problem in different ways - either your Stamina depletes less, or it doesn't affect combat or only depletes when you run or whatever. Either way, the point is people didn't like this so they tried to find solutions.

In Diablo 2, a high level character very rarely runs out of Stamina, and at this point the system becomes completely redundant, a leftover from Diablo 1 if you will. It serves absolutely no purpose and some characters like Sorceress who can Teleport, or any character wearing the Enigma armor, which gives +1 to Teleport can completely bypass this system.

https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Enigma

How exactly do you think this server will benefit from such a system that further punishes them for just wanting to travel around? The base run speed is already slow, the Turtle mount is almost useless until you are well over level 30 and you know how expensive learning the Riding Skill in Vanilla WoW is, so I don't see how this will make things better for anyone. If anything, there can be other ways to make the server more hardcore and also in some fun way that doesn't cause players to feel like they are being punished for trying to have fun.

For example, the Cooking skill can be made more prominent where eating different foods grants you different 30 or 60 minute buffs that can boost some of your stats and make Cooking a lot more desirable - most players will want to have it, as well as Fishing, which can also be expanded further so you can fish more things other than fish. Players who don't want to have Cooking will probably pay good money on the AH to have loads of certain food types, which can boost the server's economy further.

Hardwelsam

Post by Hardwelsam » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:28 pm

Twow is enoughly hard already.
I don think so there anybody want make the pain more suffering.
maintenance_turtle

Grantgrace

Post by Grantgrace » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:01 am

Adding running as a limited feature could definitely enhance the RP experience. Reminds me of when I used to play WoW through boosteria.org. Running out of stamina added such a tactical element to the game. It made you think about your moves! Once, during a PvP match, my stamina ran out just as I was about to capture a flag. It was intense! So yeah, implementing a similar mechanic could add depth to your RP hub.
Last edited by Grantgrace on Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noce

Post by Noce » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:16 am

yes it is interesting, i was also thinking about it but it would be hard to implement it imo. irl u cant always run so it makes sence to be ingame also. u would have to plan thoroughly while lvling especially in hardcore. but then mobs will always run and chase a long distance b4 they give up. so that also should be modified.. interesting and realistic feature but hm...

Calli

Post by Calli » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:26 am

Just press / on numpad and enjoy your game!

Majestik51

Post by Majestik51 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:27 am

we need extra swimming speed on turtle mount first. viewtopic.php?t=12776

all chars are running perma, u just walk with the / key. u got mount slow n fast, u got mount speed trinkets and also ms trinkets. i dont think we need this....

Ibux
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Ibux » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:16 pm

how about instead we get a diablo 2 like stamina system for flying? turtle_tongue_head

Akos1896

Post by Akos1896 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:59 pm

I could imagine it as a buff, not as a limitation:
the game allowing you to rush (not run) until stamina is depleted (only out of combat). Only short duration, needs recharge. Mobility is already an issue up until first travel form or mount, this could make it a bit better.
But this would also mean reworking some abilities which currently do very similar things.

Ibux
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Ibux » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:57 pm

guess druid cat / rogue energy is sort of the same just instead for attacks.

Grizb37

Post by Grizb37 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:36 pm

Yeah, let's implement the most hated mechanic in Diablo II

Calli

Post by Calli » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:53 am

Stamina for fighting activity, sprinting, jumping and crafting could make sense. But this would be an unnecessary and long development work. This is just not the game for those things.

Ragetto

Post by Ragetto » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:08 am

In my opinion, adding it to the current run (which is far from a sprint) would break the experience...

However, we could consider a universal sprint ability (something that clearly seems like an 'effort') that speeds up the character but tires them out.

Using it would quickly have a negative impact both on movement speed and on spell casting time / attack speed, etc. (which would gradually return to normal).

In short, it would be an addition that doesn't interfere with the core gameplay

Majestik51

Post by Majestik51 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:56 am

u can also farm bloodshards and turn them to Camp Taurajo in Barrens for 5 min extra MS buff...

Tekamthi

Post by Tekamthi » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:39 pm

i like it -- ideally it should interact with some kind of hunger system, so we have a use for the over-abundance of food in the game.

Xudo
Has liked: 43 times

Post by Xudo » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:12 am

Tekamthi wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:39 pm
i like it -- ideally it should interact with some kind of hunger system, so we have a use for the over-abundance of food in the game.
Sounds like good idea for challenge: you can "run" only if you have "well fed" buff. It will require some additional quests in starting locations, because only orcs get food with this buff early.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Mac

Post by Mac » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:33 am

Yes. Maybe tie it into Spirit, with higher Spirit allowing you to run further or regain your stamina faster.

Majestik51

Post by Majestik51 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:57 am

or maybe we bring CJ into turtle and he delivers food buffs from Burger Shot with this bike. turtle_tongue_head turtle_tongue_head

Here we go again....