Make carpentry a questing profession

Xudo
Has liked: 47 times

Make carpentry a questing profession

Post by Xudo » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:49 am

Currently all professions are designed to craft gear for character.
What about making civilian profession which is not related with gear? Its only purpose is to provide quest items for thousand quests in the world.

Proposal is:
add carpentry and tons of quests in the world which
1. ask you to gather wood in the forest. You cut tree and should bring tree to settlement. Tree is heavy, so you move slowly and unable to fight during this action.
2. build some constructions. Every inn need to make new tables and chairs after friday party brawl. Some sacred places need ceremonal idols. Roads need signs. Different locations has different types of wood. You can't make chair from tree in Un'goro. Trees like in ashenvale are protected by wisps. Trees in Felwood and EPL require additional alchemy treatment to make it safe.
3. fix some constructions.
Lets fix roof of typical human inn. You need to jump to inacessible place. Probably making some tanglible things. Small ladders you can jump on to jump some other place from it.
You need special parts to fix horde catapult.
4. break some constructions. Infiltrate enemy iron mine and break props to ruin the mine. If you do that in wrong order, mine will collapse while you in and you die. Hardcore should be hard, right?
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Allwynd01
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Make carpentry a questing profession

Post by Allwynd01 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:14 am

Sounds good, it should be possible to implement, but I don't know if it will ever happen. It would be cool to have new professions and existing ones to be expanded beyond being tools that serve you in leveling, PvP or PvE.

Grin

Post by Grin » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:51 am

Woodworking used to be a thing. However unless you propose an idea detailed enough that would win over the population all u say is, "yo guys! heres my idea, work on it!" :D

Xudo

Post by Xudo » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:09 am

Grin wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:51 am
Woodworking used to be a thing. However unless you propose an idea detailed enough that would win over the population all u say is, "yo guys! heres my idea, work on it!" :D
I don't need to win "over population". I actually just propose ideas for devs to implement.
I actually could try to implement some of this, but I don't see how exactly it can be done.
Have fun not only at 60.

Shaman111

Post by Shaman111 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:32 am

not to shit on your suggestions but that adds nothing to the gameplay. seems like more pointless clicking busywork

Allwynd01

Post by Allwynd01 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:10 am

Shaman111 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:32 am
not to shit on your suggestions but that adds nothing to the gameplay. seems like more pointless clicking busywork
What is it supposed to add to the gameplay according to your understanding?

It adds alternative ways to play the game where professions don't just serve to help you be better at leveling, questing, PvP or PvE ... or making money.

Hctwowfan
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Hctwowfan » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:47 am

Allwynd01 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:10 am
Shaman111 wrote:

It adds alternative ways to play the game where professions don't just serve to help you be better at leveling, questing, PvP or PvE ... or making money.
So... it adds nothing to the gameplay like they said. In that case wouldn't it be easier to just roleplay being a carpenter?
Exlusively playing hc, alive toons below
Immortal Nikora Halazi Mbamba Ofofu Qsetmizi Qsetnizi
59.99 Qiri Byomvin Toraya Bjomvin Peppa Tepsi Ufofo Yolani Ygritt Rhanja Yolari Qsetlizi Bsomdi Kiri Nemsi Ufufo Ofufu
50+ Hazaru Oronil Lenymo

Allwynd01

Post by Allwynd01 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:17 pm

Hctwowfan wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:47 am
Allwynd01 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:10 am
Shaman111 wrote:

So... it adds nothing to the gameplay like they said. In that case wouldn't it be easier to just roleplay being a carpenter?
What did he say? How did he explain and provide examples that it doesn't add anything to gameplay? The OP clearly explains what it adds to gameplay, unless most people here have such a limited imagination that unless it directly affects leveling/questing/PvP/PvE/makes money/doesn't give you any stats, then it's not part of gameplay?

Maybe you want to re-read the OP's post, not just the titles and the shortest replies in the discussion and learn how it can expand gameplay instead?

I don't agree with everything the OP said, but the general idea of professions that do more than the rest is something the game can benefit from. If people are so used to just mindlessly kill things in games to feel progress, maybe it's understandable why they can't wrap their minds around more sophisticated concepts, like making progress without killing anything.

Have you played SWG (Star Wars Galaxies)? The MMORPG where you and other players can group together, build your own city, elect mayors, build stores, operated by NPCs and so forth? If you haven't watch a video on it.

After you learn what can an MMORPG be besides killing mobs, you can appreciate how professions can be more too.

Hctwowfan
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Hctwowfan » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:54 pm

If you compared wow to any of its predecessors in that regard, wow is very limited in its RP part of MMORPG. Everything of value (game wise) is tracked in a metric of some sort. The RP part in RPGs prior to wow was the time spent sitting around a campfire and talking, adventuring with friends and killing foes or exploring for the sake of spending time with friends and having a good time no matter if there was any loot or XP attached to it. Wow is not like those games and that's intentional to cater to a broader audience. You're looking for something that just is not there.

The gameplay you are looking for, the one that is not based on metrics and formulas and progress can be found in focusing on the RP part of the MMOG. Why would carpentry need to be a profession in this case though? Why does it need to have a progress bar and skill ups and recipes if the only purpose it serves is RP? It would be the opposite of RP if it was implemented. Every new profession or craft or activity, tracked by the game or not, would limit the possibilities of RP. Why add carpentry but not any other craft like pottery? If you added only a handful of things you'd press people into a corset of doing those things mandated by the game. If you added all the possible things, you'd turn wow into something it simply isn't. And if you did that, all those things would feel out of place because nothing is interconnected with the gameplay anymore.

Thus: If you want to be a carpenter, RP being a carpenter. If you want to be a mayor and get elected and build your own town, find a game that supports that.
Exlusively playing hc, alive toons below
Immortal Nikora Halazi Mbamba Ofofu Qsetmizi Qsetnizi
59.99 Qiri Byomvin Toraya Bjomvin Peppa Tepsi Ufofo Yolani Ygritt Rhanja Yolari Qsetlizi Bsomdi Kiri Nemsi Ufufo Ofufu
50+ Hazaru Oronil Lenymo

Xudo

Post by Xudo » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:55 pm

Hctwowfan wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:54 pm
Why would carpentry need to be a profession in this case though? Why does it need to have a progress bar and skill ups and recipes if the only purpose it serves is RP?
Good question. Actually, everything I have described can be implemented only by quests without profession progress bar.

Carpentry is example of profession, which can create objects not always used as equipment: chairs, buildings.
It is often suggested on forums and could create equipment too.
Can you add recipe to leatherworking, which would not produce clothes? I can't imagine any. Enchanting is also equipment-oriented. Gathering professions are only about collecting stuff, not about crafting itself.
Blacksmithing, engineering and alchemy could contain civilian recipes.

I think main point of the thread is not about carpentry, but about quests requiring items made by some profession.
One is limited by 2 main professions and it is a choice to make. If this choice would mean available set of additional quests, it will be good.

Pottery and masoncry don't have "equipment" potential of profession.
Hctwowfan wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:54 pm
Thus: If you want to be a carpenter, RP being a carpenter. If you want to be a mayor and get elected and build your own town, find a game that supports that.
I can roleplay as Nefarian in human form or Arthas. Who can stop my imagination? But when we make quest in the game, it can be completed by regular people who probably don't dive deep into RP. Though profession-related civilian recipes is potential vast niche of content to add to the world. I think it will make the world more alive when you not always tasked to kill someone.
Have fun not only at 60.