Story - Saving the Spirit of Turtle WoW

Aydea

Re: Story - Saving the Spirit of Turtle WoW

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:54 am

Following the dates of the entries, by now they have caught up to about nine months past the present day. The next entry seems to be dated a few days after the previous one

Entry #19
With the matter of the Defias Brotherhood hopefully resolved it appears that I have some time on my hands at the moment. My team and I parted ways again for the time being at least but we all agreed to stay in touch.

I used this time to take a moment to reflect on my life and what choices I made. Intuitively I was drawn to the mage district again, but this time not to think but to browse their selection of robes and gowns. I have gotten so used to wearing armor by now I am not even sure when I wore a gown last. Likely when that mage Aydea fashioned one for me with her tailoring profession. I still have that by the way. It is an excellent fit. And I am glad because browsing these robes and gowns? Some of them are prohibitively expensive. I mean .. two gold? I have ... had one gold (now I have a handful of silver. Tutoring is really getting expensive). Who has that kind of gold?

And yet, had my life gone the way I imagined when I was little ... I would have been wed, perhaps I would even have given birth to children by now. And I might just be here now, lead around town by my husband given opportunity to choose from those very same gowns I now find myself looking at.

I suppose, if I still want that life now would be the time to reconsider. I am not too far down the road yet. Or am I? Makes me wonder. Should I really be doing what I do? Shouldn't I be wed and have children instead? Am I part of my own corruption??

Goodness, hearing myself think I am starting to wonder if I am about to loose my own marbles. I am likely just overthinking it. I don't believe in coincidences. If I was meant to be a doting house wife, I would be.

But I am here and on this path. So, maybe this is what I am meant to be ...

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:56 am

The next entry is dated a few days later, it appears the writer spent a lot of time doing other things prior to continuing her journal

Entry #20
I feel I have made up my mind, I will continue on this path. A lot of good has already come from it. I have met interesting people and speaking of the same, I met them again just recently. And it appears we have all the same destination: A troubled region known as Red Ridge.

In the mean time I have learned how to fashion new armor and improve on existing ones. I learned how to smelt tin and create a completely new alloy called bronze. Bronze is harder to create but makes for exceptional armor. Not so much weapons but good armor. Especially if you add some silver to it. A good thing I stayed in touch with my team, I seem to have become a regular at Aylia's potion services. Those strength potions really help when I work in the smithy.

From what I hear about Red Ridge, it is, like Westfall, a bordering region to Stormwind and Elwynn Forest. But unlike the other two regions there are rumors of direct Horde incursions. Orcs for the most part. Just the other day, I found myself delivering a message, once again being the messenger girl, between Red Ridge and Stormwind where Red Ridge asks for aid. Now I am on my way back with the response from Stormwind.

And guess what, they have their hands full. And will not lend any aid. The mayor in Red Ridge is not going to like that and I have a feeling that, while I am there, they will likely end up asking me to lend aid in a desperate plea.

It does sound like a genuinely dangerous area and I feel it would not be good to go there alone. Maybe I will try to reform my team from Westfall again.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:57 am

The next entry however is dated only one day later

Entry #21
I did reform my team from Westfall and oh my goodness am I glad I did. Not only did it happen as I suspected, the Red Ridge mayor asking us (my team and I) for help, if you thought Westfall was dangerous ... you haven't been to Red Ridge.

There are orcs everywhere. And they are not kidding around. I don't know yet if they are affiliated with the Horde but whatever their affiliation they *are* in the process of overrunning Red Ridge if no one stops them.

Also, on a different note, today was the first time I was hit with a shadow bolt. And let me tell you it feels awful. It feels like a bolt made of everything nasty, bad, toxic and malicious that you can think of coupled with the most ill-intended ... intention ... you can imagine.

You can probably tell that I felt a little more than mildly distressed. I do not understand people who could use or hurl such things at anything. A firm reminder on why I don't trust anyone who uses shadow magic.

My team and I were able to face down some of those orcs and their gnoll cohorts (yes there are also gnolls in Red Ridge) and I will reiterate at this point that there is no way I could have done it on my own. And I tried. I was able to take on one of the orcs. Alone. With enormous effort. But we are talking groups here an entire castle ruin full of them. I am really glad I didn't go alone.

Lastly I want to mention one more thing. There appears to be a human warlock involved in it all somehow. A human. Warlock. Which means corruption. Again.

Why would anyone do this? Power? Recognition? Vengeance like van Cleef? (though van Cleef didn't hurl shadow bolts).

I have been to three (actually four if we count stormwind) areas now and in each and every one of them I have encountered one form of corruption.

Always corruption ...

At this point I am **convinced** that corruption is the true enemy. What I have yet to figure out is how it operates.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:58 am

The next entry is dated back several days after the last one and it appears that a number of things happened in the mean time

Entry #22
It has been a few days I wrote here but it was just too busy to even collect my thoughts. My team and I remained in Red Ridge and actually full on teamed up again against the various menaces in the area. And together? We actually seemed to manage. It really goes to show how much value there is in having a team like this, though they did sort of usher me into leading them again. I still don't want it, but I seem to have become the de-facto leader of this little group. Someone has to take care of them I suppose ...

Oh, the orcs weren't too closely affiliated with the Horde but its hard to think otherwise. Orcs are orcs, right? But these ones? They actually seem to hail from a neighboring area with smoldering heat. I discretely took a look once and saw one of the creatures from far away. I felt like gazing across the riverbanks of Elwynn Forest all over again ... though those wolves don't look all that scary anymore by now. Makes me wonder if it will be the same with these creatures.

At any rate, with our business in Red Ridge concluding and the situation being somewhat stable again, some of my team expressed an interest to sail abroad to visit Kalimdor (the other large continent next to Azeroth) and maybe even visit the Nightelven home.

Initially, I didn't plan it but now that I think about it, I feel it would be good to see something else for a little while, so I suppose I will be going traveling with my team.

I have always wondered where the Nightelves come from, what their homes are like. And who knows maybe they have yet to be afflicted with this corruption you seem to encounter everywhere.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:00 am

The next entry is again dated a few days after the last one

Entry #23
I spoke too soon. Arriving on one of the only safe ports for the Alliance in Kalimdor the first thing that we were greeted with is the bleak, unmistakable sign of ... you guessed it. Corruption. And *large* scale.

The area is called "Darkshore", a fitting name for it as it looks like as if light itself is retreating from the area for reasons as of yet unknown.

The creatures here are different too, I met "Furbolgs" for the first time which look like bears but walking on two legs. They are a little hard to describe and when one or several come at you describing isn't exactly the first thing on your mind ...

What I did find encouraging is that the Nightelves (unlike the humans or dwarves) appear to be painfully aware of this "corruption" so that was a very welcome change, especially because they seem to actually be somewhat concerned with combating it.

Unfortunately, from what I can tell, they are in the early stages of their investigation. They suspect that the corruption they see in darkshore isn't actually native to the region but, instead, comes from a different region bordering it called Felwood. (yeah ... with that name? that wouldn't surprise me).

Other than that, the Nightelves appear to be as busy with investigating it as I am. They are considering a lot of things that aren't considered over in Azeroth, though now that I think about it, one of the mages in my team, Aydea mentioned something about research into some sort of corruption as part of her own missions. Something about something in the waterfalls near Stormwind. Maybe I should talk to her about it.

But for now there seem to be more immediate concerns here in Darkshore. I am writing this entry from the Inn in Auberdine. I will report back when I know more.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:00 am

The next entry is dated about a week after the last entry

Entry #24
While it wasn't as dangerous as in Red Ridge, Darkshore sure made up for it with sheer bleakness and I was glad to have someone to talk to when my team and I attended what work there was for us in this region.

I remember when I first set foot into Elwynn Forest, wondering what was out there, what I would do and being in awe of the beautiful trees, ... and here I am traveling abroad and investigating and working in dangerous areas like it is the most ordinary thing.

I still remember wondering what "working for the light" might be like. I suppose every paladin and paladine will find that out as they go, just like I do.

We have found several hints and clues about corruption. Naga (which are amphibious creatures somehow relating to Nightelves) seem to have either played some role in it in the past or still play a role in it in the present. We also discovered a very promising lead, a cult by the name of "Twilight Hammer".

Much to my surprise (or perhaps I really shouldn't be surprised at this point) this cult seems to be mainly comprised of dwarves. (Yep, apparently they too have been afflicted with corruption)
Which is interesting because unlike humans the dwarves strictly forbid and ban any sort of warlock from their society. Much like nightelves, but they go a step further and also ban mages (much to the dismay of the mages in my team). As guests they are welcomed though.

But coming back to the corruption, I used to think that warlocks are either involved in or perhaps even the root cause for it. And while I am not sure anymore on the latter I am most definitely convinced of the former (warlocks being involved in some form). Which by the way also lends further credence to the suspicion as humans do not ban warlocks and even harbor them in Stormwind.

Soon, my team and I will investigate a dangerous area called "Blackfathom Depths". I will report back when I know more.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:03 am

The next area is once again dating a week after the last one

Entry #25
Our expedition yielded some very promising information. Though I must admit that some of my team chose to work for an exiled dwarven warlock wanting to uncover manuscripts from this area known as "Blackfathom Depths". I refused to do it but did not infringe on my team. Everyone has to make their choices ...

Within Blackfathom Depths we found a highly concentrated "Twilight Hammer" presence. Along with creatures looking like deformed nightelves but with horns. They are called "Satyrs" and are very dangerous. Do not underestimate them.

The nightelf in my team (the druid) confirmed to me that these Satyrs used to be nightelves but were, at some point, corrupted as I understood the druid. (Yes, even the night elves got afflicted with corruption - It seems we have come full circle. Humans, Dwarves, Nightelves ... Gnomes allow warlocks so they're probably afflicted too in some form. I haven't met a lot of gnomes yet though. Makes me wonder what happened to them ... )

Anyways, what we learned is that there are in fact certain elements (like that cult "Twilight Hammer") that actively seek to spread corruption (yes, you read right, unfortunately) and bring back some old, old, powerful entities from times long past so they can destroy the world. Or something. It honestly didn't make a whole lot of sense. As I understood them, they (the Twilight Hammers) would be destroyed along side everything else. It seems downright insane. Why would anyone want that?

It reminds me of that really weird person who did seem a little insane. By the way, I have seen a couple more of those over the journey so far. Not a whole lot, but enough to know that what I saw in Elwynn Forest likely isn't an isolated incident.

Maybe they are involved in this somehow, I don't know ...

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:04 am

The next entry is dated a few days, just shy of a week from the last one. it appears the frequency of entries has reduced a little

Entry #26
We finally visited the Nightelven capital city called Darnassus. It appears to be a gigantic tree reaching up for miles and miles, further than you can even see and the only way to travel to this city is via a nightelven portal of some sort. Once you are there you can see a city in harmony with nature, built on the top of this enormous tree which somehow has its own water system, waterfalls, hills, grass, even some stone. It makes you feel ... small. It is awe inspiring.

Now I understand why Nightelves and their history, culture and craftsmanship is so fabled. It has every reason to be ...

Their fashion is something else too, though, understandably, not exactly "my size" seeing how tall nightelves tend to be. It was still amazing to see.

Their cuisine is ... how to put this. They like to be very natural. So ... let me put it this way. Have you ever considered .. spider kebob? I haven't.

From what we could see in Darnassus and the area surrounding it, the Nightelves as a whole are indeed aware of the corruption and involved in actively investigating and also combating it. That was encouraging, even though as I said, their research is still on going, it is at the very least more than the blatant ignorance of Stormwind ... (yes, Aydea, I know if it weren't for the mages)

Which reminds me, I did use the time we had in Darnassus to talk to Aydea about this corruption. She had a very interesting point of view, a lot more academic and technical (as you would expect form a mage, especially an enchantress). She likes to get into magical technicalities a lot but from what I understand of her, she suspects the corruption to be a "natural result" of something like shadow magic or other unnatural influences. And ... mh, the page is running out. I will continue on the next page.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:06 am

And just as advertised, the entry appears to continue immediately on the next page

And while I was at it, I also talked to our team's herbalist and alchemist, also a mage. And she actually agreed and even likened it to the reaction of a person when exposed to poison or otherwise toxic influences. Much like a wound that festers ...

To which Aydea (the enchantress) said ...

"Precisely! That is a very good way to describe it ... " - Aydea, mage and enchantress

And it makes sense honestly. Maybe what we are seeing all across Azeroth is the **natural result** of something poisonous or toxic that was or is still being introduced to this lovely world of ours in some way, shape or form.

Our druid also said that it would make sense but chose not to speak a lot. He likes to remain in cat-form (thats a thing druids do).

And what we saw in Ashenvale with the crazed Furbolgs who used to be a peaceful people that somehow transitioned into attacking everyone and acting insane in similar but not exactly the same manner as I have seen that person in Elwynn Forest do for instance. Maybe this sort of behavior is just a stage in that process. Like a stage of a disease. Maybe a disease of the mind. Or worse ... the soul.

Oh, goodness, the implications make my head spin. Maybe what I should be doing is call in a general meeting of my team and discuss this issue and our insights properly. I will do that after our work is done in Ashenvale though.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:07 am

The next entry is again dated about a week after the last one

Entry #27
Getting that meeting going appeared to be harder than I imagined. Our druid likes to wander and the other paladin is *very* interested in mining and engineering. So much so that I could practically stop mining on my own (which I am grateful for as it is not something that comes naturally to me, naturally).

In that same avenue we actually moved through "The Barrens" which is a vast steppe of Kalimdor seeking what work we could but seeing as it is a Horde controlled territory we were not really welcome anywhere other than a neutral trade port run by Goblins called Ratchet. Never the less I was pleased to see another route to sail between Azeroth and Kalimdor that does not involve Darkshore (I don't like to be around there).

Interestingly we did not find a whole lot of evidence of corruption in the Barrens, despite it being a Horde controlled territory. With one exception. Sometimes when I got close to one of their settlements called "The Cross Roads" you could hear (from afar) some of the same (or similar) unintelligible noises and words that the person in Elwynn Forest also said.

While it seemed a *lot* more prevalent (in fact the highest concentration of such people that I have seen so far) it remains indirect and incidental evidence only. I don't know why these .. Horde people acted the way they did or whether are part of or involved in the corruption. We only know they behaved that way.

There is a neighboring area to the Barrens called "The Stonetalon Mountains". As I understood my group, that is the next destination to which they want to travel. Maybe there is even an Alliance outpost in the region where we can stay and who knows, perhaps we will find some answers there ...

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:08 am

The next entry appears to be dated a few days after the last one

Entry #28
There is an Alliance outpost in Stonetalon Mountains, I am writing this entry from the local inn after a long day of traveling with my team.

Its interesting what used to be a loose companionship has slowly evolved to a cohesive group. I don't even mind leading them as much as I used to, I suppose I may have gotten used to it ...

I have attempted to call in a meeting but it seems my team prioritized the work that was available in Stonetalon Mountains. I had wondered if we might find more clues, more answers but to my surprise we found no such clues. At least nothing like in Darkshore. The only thing we found were Goblins and they didn't seem interested in any shadow magic or corruption, they just ruined nature and destroyed the environment ... for profit.

Which, I suppose is a form of corruption as well but nothing out of the ordinary. I mean greed has always been a problem in just about any civilization. And just like with the forests of Stonetalon Mountains, greed has destroyed more than forests. Friendships. Empires. And who knows what else ...

I wonder if this maybe *is* a clue ... hiding in plain sight. Maybe it is greed for power that is close to or even at the root of this matter. And maybe it would even make sense, now that I think about it. Why would warlocks do what they do? For power. Or maybe a misguided belief of achieving something good by doing something else that is reprehensible.

Actually, that does remind me a lot of what happened in Stormwind with van Cleef. It was reprehensible that they betrayed him and his stonemasons the way they did ... and yet it *was* necessary to send adventurers after him. To stop him from harming uninvolved innocents. But that allowed the true perpetrators (The Stormwind nobles) to get away with their crime.

The more I think about it the more I suspect that all of this runs so, soo much deeper than the level I am searching at.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:09 am

The next entry is dated two weeks after the last and is relatively short

Entry #29
I don't know what happened or why but I think my team may be falling apart. I have noticed an inexplicable disinterest first in the druid, then the other paladin. And while they didn't start to behave in the ways I observed in "The Cross Roads" (thank goodness!) they did seem afflicted with ... something. And it wasn't physical. It was ... emotional I think.

Has what ever afflicts the various things in this world finally gotten to my friends as well? I don't know. Only the two mages in my team remained. Its interesting, they are either immune to what ever happened to my friends or much more resilient. But even though I used to travel alone, now it feels like we are ... incomplete.

That meeting I wanted to call in to discuss this corruption never came to be.

Makes me wonder if perhaps an unseen force got wind of my efforts and tries to stop them ...

After this entry there appears to be a long pause. It appears that this entry was the last for a while

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:15 am

Turning the page the next entry is dated very recently, just a few weeks ago as it were

Entry #30
I had to make a decision. Do I follow my two friends and try to look into what is happening with them? Or do I continue without them. I chose to follow ... that was last year.

As I spent time with my two friends, I noticed that that were both afflicted something. Something emotional (though in the paladin's case also something physical - a very rare but dangerous infection that can cost you life and limb literally. Fortunately he seems to recover)

More troubling was the emotional affliction however. It was almost like as if some kind of unseen power was using their own fears, their own short comings against them. It was on one night that I remembered something ...

Remember that exiled dwarf warlock they chose to collect a manuscript for in the "Blackfathom Depths"? I still remember what that dwarf said to my friends ...

"Search Blackfathom Deeps for the manuscript. Do this, and I will not forget it. Not even after ... the end days. " - Gerrig Bonegrip, exiled dwarven warlock

I tried to warn them, but they wouldn't listen. I tried to advise them ...

"You are making yourselves available to powers that you don't know what they want with you but likely nothing good ... " - Fadrith

But they ignored my advice. And this affliction ... it seemed to start not long after they have delivered this "Lorgalis Manuscript" form the Blackfathom Depths.

I am starting to wonder if there is a connection to that because my friends did not exhibit those signs of insanity. They were just ... afflicted. Like as if a bad unseen power had or was trying to establish some sort of hold over them.

It took me a long time (as is evident) to figure this out. At first I thought it was something else, unresolved issues or such. And while I feel that is true, I feel that just like their fear, these unresolved things afflicting them at this specific time is no coincidence.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:17 am

The next entry is dated one day after the previous one again

Entry #31
By now I have fought with a number of things, but nothing I have fought with could compare to the enemies I was faced with my two friends.

Dishonesty and fear. Two very powerful opponents that you have to fight with your heart, not your armor and weapons.

It took a while but combating those two eventually helped bringing my friends back on track. There were other things that needed my attention but these two, dishonesty and fear, were at the root for most of what we addressed and dealt with.

On that note, I am glad to say that my team is reforming. I have sent word out to the mages (who went back to studying their own stuff) but I am hoping they will send word and come back.

It has been over a year that we have done any work here. Maybe by this time I can finally call in that meeting ...

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:18 am

The entry following is also dated one day after the previous one

Entry #32
The mages responded and came flying in. And I was actually able to call in that meeting finally!

The meeting went well and when I presented my thoughts and findings to them all, we had a moment of harmony where we all just ... kind of were on the same page. It just clicked, and everyone seemed to have a different view and everyone contributing their own view on the matter felt like placing another piece of a puzzle of a much greater image.

We came to the conclusion that the corruption that we were -seeing- like in Darkshore, or Blackfathom Depths was perhaps not actually corruption but rather a natural result of something else that was unseen.

And this unseen phenomenon ... the same one that caused Stormwind nobles to betray the stonemasons.
The same unseen phenomenon that caused van Cleef to turn to treason and crime.
The same unseen phenomenon that causes the goblins to destroy the environment ... for profit.
The same unseen phenomenon that causes warlocks to do reprehensible and unspeakable atrocities.

What else do these things have in common?

They are all short cuts.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:20 am

The following entry is dated not just a day but only minutes after the last one

Entry #33
Short cuts often come with a cost. I have seen many who looked inexperienced following around others who obviously were much, much more experienced. The experienced one did all the work and the inexperienced one collected the reward.

Discussing this with my team they had all seen the same thing where ever each was. And we all agreed that such people deprive themselves of an opportunity and, literally, taking a short-cut to wealth and power ... end up endangering themselves as well as others.

Sound familiar yet?

They could earn their way, work for it. And undergo the process of maturation, of learning, of cultivation and of becoming that experienced and powerful person ... and that will not happen if someone else does the work for them.

People like that want a reward for something they didn't ear.. It is ... dishonest.

Sound familiar yet?

It was about at this point that we all saw this greater image. And how the "corruption" we were *seeing* related to the actual corruption we could only see through its **effects**.

The actual corruption ... starts inside a person. And is deceptively simple ...

A choice.

A choice to take a short cut. A choice to want a reward you didn't earn. A choice for dishonesty.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:21 am

The next entry is dated only minutes after the previous entry

Entry #34
And once such a choice is made, a path is started that starts small but with each step taken gets harder and harder to turn back from coming with greater and greater costs. Edwin van Cleef would know.

And just like it started inside him ... and then went and manifest in the Deadmines and the Defias Syndicate ...
And just like the choice to destroy the environment for profit manifests in desolate landscapes ...
And just like the choice to use shadow magic or even draw out souls and use them as soul shards (or even turn them into edible soul stones ...) manifests in withered, soul-less remnants ...

I haven't even seen the area known as Felwood yet but I shudder at what it might be.

It always starts as a choice. A choice that will bring more and more ... fruits. If that can be said.

Are the fruits the corruption? No, they are just the fruits. The **choice** is the corruption. Thats where it starts.

And it makes sense. Choice is the method of change.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:22 am

The next entry is dated a day after the previous one

Entry #35
After this meeting my team and I started to see the world with different eyes. We had made our way to Ashenvale and we immediately saw the "early stage corruption" with the furbolgs in the region. Crazed, insane behavior, foul runes, Satyrs (which are corrupted night elves that spread more corruption).

Its all right there. In plain sight.

I even saw a glimpse of Felwood in the north of Ashenvale. Remember what I said about how it feels when a shadowbolt hits you? What I saw from Felwood is that feeling ... given form. Even the trees seemed to have malicious faces. I have no idea how anything can be alive in this region. Unless of course it sustains itself on corruption. What an unsettling thought ...

On a maybe related note, something else that everyone of my team noticed is a dramatic increase in this weird behavior like I mentioned I had seen as a rare exception a year ago. Where I had seen it maybe a handful of times ... now it seems you can't turn a corner without encountering it.

The noises and "words" such people produce are just as illegible as before. It really does behave like a contagious even though that can practically be ruled out according to our herbalist.

I still wonder if there is something to that thought. Just instead of a physical contagion ... maybe it is a contagion of the soul.

I know it is a long shot but think about it. If that were to be true it would behave like a disease without manifesting as one. It would spread like a disease but instead of touch or fluid, it would spread with people influencing one another socially.

I am aware that I have only anecdotal and incidental evidence for this but you have to admit it would explain a lot of what we are seeing ... and that makes it a compelling lead in this investigation.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:23 am

The next entry is dated a day after the previous one. By now the entries so recent they are only a week or two old.

Entry #36
As we were finishing up our work in Ashenvale for the nightelves and heading to one of the other only safe ports for the Alliance in Kalimdor (Ratchet, in the Barrens), I was approached by a troll of all people ...

"Yo, mon! You Fadrith?" - A postman troll

He said to me and then handed me a letter. Apparently he was handling the mail. A postman troll. But at least he spoke in complete sentences. Which is more than I can say of many of my fellow humans.

The letter was an urgent message from the Cathedral of Light. Apparently the Gnomes in Ironforge (so thats where they are living) were seeking capable and willing help to help them reclaim their city.

I was not even aware the gnomes had a city.

Reading further, they also asked me to report back since I had not checked in for a while. Apparently, there was a "situation" in Stormwind.

I wonder what they mean. We are going to sail come the next day and I am writing this from the Ratchet Inn.

It is a dangerous place but I do like the climate here.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:25 am

The next entry is dated one day after the previous one

Entry #37
My goodness. I am back in Stormwind and I am writing this from a remote corner in the canals because there is just no space let alone any quiet to even hear yourself think!

What is wrong, you might ask?

Remember those weird acting people I described? Elwynn Forest? Cross Roads in the Barrens?

Yeah, those people? Just eeeeeeeverywhere. Literally! Forget about turning a corner, you cannot go a few steps in Stormwind without running into one or hearing one of those weird acting people.

I haven't even made it to the Cathedral of Light yet. At first I wanted to go to the mage district to find some quiet but they are there too ...

Calling this unsettling would be an understatement. It was downright perturbing.

What happened here ... ?

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:28 am

The next entry is one of the most recent ones. It is only dated days ago from the present time

Entry #38
I am back from the Cathedral of Light. Apparently, the city of the gnomes is called Gnomeregan and evidently it is currently irradiate and overrun by trogs. And renegade gnomes. (Hm. I wonder if anyone betrayed anyone here ... corruption anyone? We'll see ... )

When I inquired about what was happening ... most people (yes, even Lord Grayson Shadowbreaker) didn't seem overly concerned. (which I found very concerning)
They said that it "just started one day".

Sounds to me almost like an "outbreak".

When I informed them of my research and findings they said that they had no idea what caused it or whether it is related to any "corruption". (of course, I mean why would Stormwind know. They harbor warlocks!)

Anyways, once the first shock wore off, I actually went for a stroll to take advantage of the situation and just see as much of this behavior as I could.

What I saw was as fascinating as it was disturbing.

Instead of speaking in complete sentences ... most people wouldn't speak at all and those who did most often resorted to the same illegible gibberish I described in previous entries. But for research purposes, I tried to write down what I could vaguely make out as a repeating pattern.

"lfmubrs"

"wts... " (and then usually something that is actually understandable, an item of some kind. Most often something of outlandish quality and a price tag to match. Makes you wonder where they got that ... )
Also not to be confused with "wtf" which is a human slur and abbreviation and means something very different.

"help plz"

Oh and this one ...
"Sheeeeell Conneeeect"
(though I am not sure if this is part of this phenomenon as it is at least regular speech. I won't rule out anything at this point though)

"lolxd"

"lmao"

"xddddd"

"kekekekek"

Its honestly disturbing what happened within just a year. What kind of force could do such a thing ... ?
Last edited by Aydea on Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:29 am

The next entry is just a few days old and dated one day after the previous one

Entry #39
My team and I traveled to Ironforge and met with the gnomes, the refugees from Gnomeregan, now living in Tinkertown, which is a corner of Ironforge. Their leader is an eccentric tinkerer who was all too eager to accept our offered aid.

And ... I was also curious what happened. Would you care to guess? Apparently, the gnome leader's trusted confidante betrayed him taking a short-cut to power. Of course. Betrayal. Corruption. I am hoping you'll pardon me if my surprise at the fact is somewhat subdued.

Ironforge is a really nice place though and *much* quieter than Stormwind, goodness. I might just suggest to my team to base out of here while we prepare to venture into Gnomeregan.

Now that I can actually hear myself think again I took a moment to reflect. I am writing this from one of the taverns or inns (you can't really tell easily here what is what. It seems every inn is also a bar ... dwarves like to drink I suppose)

"Care fer a glass ... ?" - Dwarf in Ironforge

Thinking back I see myself stepping out of Northshire Abbey looking at the world with wide eyed admiration. And wide eyed fright at seeing a kobold.

And now here I am leading a party down a dangerous, irradiated subterranean gnomish city.

I am seeing who I was, who I am and wonder ... who will I become?

I have found and fashioned myself armor that is so powerful I feel I don't even need Aylia's smithing (strength!) potions anymore to work in the smithy. Just wearing my equipment does. Though I still buy them from her. We've all kind of grown fond of each other in that fashion.

The druid has become a very good leather worker. Aydea an insightful enchantress and the other paladin an engineer building things that are starting to look distinctively gnomish. Like a gnomish battle chicken for instance ...

Anyways, I am going to get some sleep. Tomorrow is a big day.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:31 am

The following entry is so recent you can tell that not many pages are left to read. It is dated one day after the previous entry

Entry #40
Goodness, I am hoping this journal won't be glowing in the dark. They understated a little with how bad the radiation was. It was almost like some of it had gathered and was moving as one cohesive slime creature. I don't feel anyone should go down there without a paladin or someone else who can cleanse radiation poisoning.

On a different note we also found direct evidence of dark iron involvement in what ever happened in Gnomeregan.
To my understanding dark iron dwarves are renegade dwarves who essentially committed treason to Ironforge and are planning to overthrow the king. I don't know why they would do that but I sure hope it is not something similar to the Defias Syndicate.

That being said our mission was a success. We managed to clear enough of the invaders for whoever is organizing a more concentrated effort to likely benefit from our work down there.

As my team and I were celebrating we had the idea that I should update my armor. I am still wearing the silvered bronze breast plate I fashion for myself last year. It is just such a good fit and so light weight.

I consulted my team as to what they favored of the recipes I knew. It seems they have accepted me as their de-facto leader and are looking forward to help me present myself accordingly. Unfortunately we are missing a few smithing plans for that.

Tomorrow, we are headed back to Stormwind to report our success in Gnomeregan. Ever since the outbreak of this ... phenomenon (I really should find a name for this) Stormwind feels more like an asylum than a human city, honestly.

I can only hope that now with abundant and irrefutable evidence, someone else is looking into this.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:32 am

The following entry is dated just the other day, one day after the previous entry.

Entry #41
Arriving back at Stormwind was every bit as I thought it might be. Fortunately, this time around I was prepared and could just focus on where I need to go and what I need to do. It was still hard though, seeing all these people behaving in this fashion.

Are people really that ... degenerated?

Its hard to imagine how such a thing could happen. And to so many!

How many shortcuts did they take? How many choices for corruption did they make?

On an unrelated note, I have even managed to warm up to my current teacher, Katherine the Pure. Once you get to know her a little, you will see she is a very insightful woman capable of teaching very valuable lessons. She gave me that feeling of humility that I so often felt with my teacher in Northshire Abbey.

Oh, and this time around? She had a special mission offer for me. It appears someone has sent word from somewhere and they are facing a similar problem than most of Stormwind these days.

Finding capable and sane individuals to help and get work done.

And this time? I knew exactly why they felt I was the right person. It appears that if you don't act like the rest of Stormwind, you are actually the odd one out.

Yes, that is actually how bad it is.

My contact for this mission is someone named Tyralion. I have never heard this name before, but something about this name gives me a good feeling, I can't even tell you why.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:34 am

The next entry is as recent as the last few days, dated a few days after the previous one

Entry #42
While I was waiting for word on this special mission, I met with my team's alchemist, Aylia, and we had a good long talk on the matter of "corruption" and "shortcuts".

She mentioned it from her perspective, telling me of ... actually, I think I am going to ask her permission to include her in this journal directly.

The handwriting changes for the next part it is clear that someone else wrote the following paragraphs

My name is Aylia and as per Fadrith's request I am writing in her journal.

One of the first things you learn as an aspiring herbalist is to not be greedy. Take only what you need and always leave enough for the plant to regrow.
A single leaf, a single blossom, a part of a root ... all of these things regrow, its what plants do. They are part of nature. But they can only regrow if they remain alive and functional and they only remain alive and functional of herbalists don't take too much.

Different plants have different rates of growth. It is important to know your plants and to be considerate. Afterall, the herbalist may not be a plant but is also part of nature.

From here on the handwriting changes once again but returns to the handwriting of what must be the writer of the journal

You would think that with insights like this something like what we see in Stormwind these days wouldn't happen, right?

But it does.

And that only lends further credence that something more insidious and sinister is at work here and at the root of all of this. Something that may, perhaps, even transcend the very world we live it.

It wouldn't be the first time, if historians are to be believed. Just look up the tales and myths of the creation of this world.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:02 pm

The next entry is dated a few days after the previous one.

Entry #43
After a few days of waiting for my contact, no one showed up. My inquiries at the Cathedral of Light brought to light (pun not intended here ... ) that evidently the group that my contact was part of spontaneously disbanded. Most peculiar but I suppose stranger things happened, right?

Speaking of, after having spent a few more days in Stormwind, I am almost afraid to say but I almost got used to the sight of these people that I was referencing in previous entries. You know the kind that doesn't speak much and if they do often not even in complete sentences.

Following a couple of them around I wanted to see what it is that they are doing. Maybe they were spying on someone? Or maybe they were involved in some sort of sabotage?

But no. Nothing like that. They were running around attending what appears to be regular things. Buying and selling. Working at the forges in the dwarven district. Running up and down the mage tower in the mage district. (There is a portal there that can take you to the high elven refugee camp and they requested aid. I'll write about them some time else)

Coming back to these people I started wondering ... are these maybe "Adventurers"? At Northshire Abbey they were mentioned but only in brief. It was generally advised to leave them alone and do whatever business they have. Generally if you don't get into their way, they won't get into yours.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:10 pm

The next entry is dated on the same day as the previous one.

Entry #44
It was while following around one of those people that I met someone very interesting. A high ranking man from a group named <Swords of Lothar>. It was the way he was carrying himself that caught my attention. Composed, aware, sensible. Completely unlike those "adventurers" that you see so often these days.

On a spontaneous decision I decided walking with him for a little while. When I spoke to him he turned and responded and then we started talking. It turns out that this man and I could connect over our shared appreciation of certain values and conducts.

He took me to one of the taverns in the Park District of Stormwind, run by high elves. Perhaps now is a good time to write a few words about them. You remember night elves, right? Tall, handsome and beautiful creatures. High elves, are not tall. They tend to be a little shorter and much more delicate. So much so you start wondering how they can lift these heavy things like a shield and plated armor. For a human woman that is already a bit of a stretch but these high elves? How do they do it? It must be some sort of magic ... then again what do I know. I practically live on strength potions. Maybe they do too ...

Anyways. I came to meet the people that this high ranking officer was part of and a range from another group called the <Thalassian Alliance>. They seem sensible folk, unlike these adventurers. You can stop to take a moment for a conversation with them (as is evidenced by me following the high ranked officer and speaking to him).

If I want to make a contribution, however minute, to a better and more welcoming climate, maybe these people are who I am looking for. We'll see.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:48 pm

*the next entry is dated a few days after the last.*

Entry #45
It appears that having concluded most of our business now we all have a few moments to ourselves. Instead of continuing my research or going on a new adventure, I chose to spend some time with my team. It has been a while that I had a chat with Aydea, our tailor and enchantress so I went and looked her up. I found her among scattered pieces of parchment deep within her own research. Or researches. She really does seem to be a very studious individual.

It also turns she was looking for me as she had come up upon something during her own enchanting related research. While I would love to include her entire paper here that would probably fill a few pages worth of this journal, so I will keep to a portion of her paper:

... a fascinating topic especially in regards to shadow magic and corruption. Just like casting spells, enchanting an item draws upon the world's inherent magical potential. And just like casting (i.E. channeling) a spell causes you to act as a conduit, channeling (i.E. casting) an enchantment appears to work in the same fashion.

And as we all know, being able to casting magic means power and power, as all mages are made abundantly aware of*, corrupts.

Furthermore, the fact of acting as a conduit means that every time magic is channeled through the caster who acts as a conduit creates and brings a bilateral bridge of temporary nature (a two-way-street in layman's terms) into existence, opening a gateway for energies and influences on both sides.

While it is well documented and researched that such bilateral interaction generally creates influences manifesting in our world through people, it is as of yet unclear whether or not that influence also factually affects the swirling Nethers (the other side). Further research ... - Aydea, enchantress, on "The Caster as Conduit in regards to shadow magic and corruption" by Aydea et. al.

* a reference to a cautionary letter that apparently all mages receive upon graduating from Northshire Abbey

Her devotion to the subject and research in general aside, what I read from her paper is that she believes that casting as much as enchanting isn't just affecting the world but also affecting the caster back. If a caster for example uses shadow magic, as is well known for its corruptive influence, they might cause a spread of corruption by casting a spell called "corruption". Aydea told me of this, she says she used "detect magic" to figure this out when she saw a warlock cast the spell on an enemy.

However, by making the choice of using such a spell and spreading corruption, as noted in this example, the caster -themselves- acts as a conduit and becomes affected not just by backwards-influence of the spell, according to Aydea, but also through the choice of doing this to someone or something of this world.

It takes a little bit of getting used to Aydea's academical style but I think she may be on to something here. If I were to word it in a very simplified fashion, I would say that what she is essentially saying is ...

"Be careful with your thoughts as your thoughts become your words. Be careful with your words as your words become your actions. Be careful with your actions as your actions become your and other people's future. Be careful with your future as your future becomes part of the world's and everyone else's future".

And honestly, that does make a lot of sense. If I had to say it in one sentence I would say Aydea advises to "choose wisely".

Maybe we've been looking in all the wrong places for the origin of all this madness. Certainly, it manifests in all sorts of places but what if that is merely the symptom?

Maybe if the start of all of this ... is within each of us? Each and every one of us.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:38 pm

*the next entry is dated a few days after the previous one*

Entry #46

This entry is going to be a bit of a funny one. So, I was out fishing somewhere in the Dustwallow Marsh when all of the sudden it just kind of hit me. All these strangely acting people, all those short cuts taken (letting a more experienced adventurer do all the work for you for instance), all the greed for gold and power, all the toxicity that spreads much like disease (the wounded wound others in turn), all the demonic and, literally, corruptive influences from warlocks ... what do all of these things have in common?

Us.

Its all connected. And its all connected through ... us.

We are the connection. We!

If you are used to fishing yourself you know that you can get all sorts of stuff when you reel in your fishing rod. From locked crates, potions to ... yes, the literal worn boot that somehow made its way to where you are. However, what you can also get ... is Rumsey Rum. Something you will be well familiar with as well.

And thats where it starts to get funny ...

So, as I was fishing and minding my own business until what I just told you just hit me I really had to stop fishing and sit down for a moment to process it all. It is a lot to take in. And since I had been fishing a while, ... I had a few bottles of Rumsey Rum next to me. And the weather was hot and you can imagine what happened next.

"So ... you're shaying ... that some of this world was created by someone named "Torta"? Oh, please excuse the slur. I may have had a bit of Rumsey Rum." - Fadrith, tipsy talking to a turtle on the beach.

Needless to say its amazing what a bit of fishing and rumsey rum can do for you. There is more though ...

"I think I get it now. All this beautiful work, all the wonders for us to experience. All the work that went into building all of thish ... hic! And making it even more beautiful ... for people like you and me to enjoy. Well, maybe not you, you're a turtle on the beach. But you -are- an excellent listener!" - Fadrith, tipsy and talking to a turtle on the beach.

Naturally, the turtle was indeed a good listener. Didn't say a word to my tipsy escapades.

"Goodness, if this is really true I can't imagine what this "Torta" must have gone through seeing all of this. I mean it was already kind of hard on a paladine like me but if I imagine I would be the one to have built all this? Seeing all your and your team's work, all the love poured into it treated by adventurers in such truly gross and deplorable fashion? Ohhh .... Torta, what have they done to you and your team?" - Fadrith, musing tipsily on her own tipsy musings at the beach.

Of course, by now I am no longer tipsy and realize that there may or may not be something to what I said while having some first hand experience on the excellent listening skills of turtles. Still, I didn't want to deprive you from perhaps a topic with a bit more levity than the usual somewhat forbidding considerations on shadow magic and the state of corruption of this world.

Besides, this is important information because it brought me to a step that I did not think I was going to take. I already have a team of people with me, we are all aligned on our goals and we like spending time with one another. Honestly, it was the sensible next step. I created a guild of my own ... to make a statement and act as an example for like minded individuals

And who knows maybe I won't even be the only one who tried talking to a turtle on the beach. You never know!

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:40 am

*The next entry is dated a few days after the last one*

Entry #47

We are now the owners of a humble guild charter. I must admit it does feel a little different to before when we were all just acquaintances. A loosely formed group that has just gotten comfortable with one another. Now it feels like a bond deepened, formalized on a document. It feels different. Like a deepened friendship.

Anyways, I also had another chat with our guild's alchemist Aylia. Apparently, she was out gathering herbs some where and may or may not have been sniffing flowers when she was thinking about how things used to be when she joined our little group. It was what she said next thought that I want to share in this journal.

So, this entire "situation" with these adventurers and people acting speaking strangely ... our alchemist likened all of this (and get this) to ... a forest fire. Yes. She is an herbalist. Yes, she really said that.
She said that when a forest is too densely populated or generally the conditions are just right, a forest fire can break out. Once it starts burning there really isn't a whole lot to stop it except a week's worth of rain maybe.
What remains behind after such a forest fire though is fertile ground, fertilized by the ashes of what had burned down.

And if you ask what all of this has to do with the current situation, that makes two of us because I asked her the same thing. Here is what she said ...

Forest fires aren't the only phenomena that can damage nature. A swarm of locusts can do the same thing and ravage a forest faster than a well paid and motivated group of goblins could. Usually when this happens you can find most of the locust swarm on the ground somewhere, starved because there just isn't enough food available to sustain that kind of mass of locusts.These adventurers and strangely acting people remind me of that. A swarm of locusts, a forest fire ... both will eventually burn itself out, the forest fire leaving behind ashes, the swarm of locusts lots of food for anything enjoying expired insects. Either way, the problem solves itself, nature takes care of itself.
And these strange, acting, speaking and short cut taking adventurers? They're just like a forest fire or a swarm of locusts. I think they'll burn themselves out, taking short cut after short cut in a frenzy of making one bad choice after another only to ultimately stand before a whole lot of nothing at some point. When what they could have done is cultivated a journey, created memories, fashioned bonds with people. That is when they'll leave, going back to whence they came from. And thats usually when nature recovers. Maybe it'll be like that with people. - Aylia, guild herbalist musing after sniffing flowers

Wow, makes me wonder, maybe I should start sniffing flowers too. That is honestly some fairly deep stuff and I think there may be merit to it. I feel that Aylia is on to something here. It also coincidences with my own wondering whether I haven't approached this entire topic from the wrong angle. I was starting to look for signs, for effects, for "symptoms" (as Aylia would say). At this point of the journey I am starting to feel I had it backwards. And just like everyone else struggling with the effects, the "symptoms" ... no wonder it all just goes on and on. The source of it all remains unaddressed. Even by paladins and paladines like me. And how could the source be changed if the source is us? You can't change people, everyone knows that. You can only lead by example ... and hope to inspire.

Its funny how all of this came together just when we created our guild. I was just wondering about a name and what to do with it all. Now I know ...

Oh, and ... Torta? If you exist and you're out there somewhere? Reading this? I hope all of this brought you and whatever team you have a smile.

And thanks so much. For all the hard work.
Last edited by Aydea on Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:53 am

*This next entry doesn't have a date, but it has a name*

Epilogue

Maintaining a guild is a lot more work than I thought it would be. Just organizing all of this and everything alone ... no wonder all these "guild masters" are such busy people, now I am making some first hand experience of that!

I suppose, the reason I write is related. With all this work and everything I am not sure how often I am going to write into this journal anymore. I mean, do you really want me to bore you with ... I don't know, what mail goes to who and what? I don't think you need to read about this here.

It is rewarding work though, it feels like I am, in a way, responsible for them now, my guild that is. And in a way, they are responsible for me. I wonder if this is how it all started. Just a group of people coming together, wanting to create something beautiful, something for others to enjoy. Maybe this is how the miracle of creation works. A miracle that we, all of us creative people, can partake in.

Goodness, I am started to sound like Aylia. And I haven't even sniffed any flowers. Though I hear purple lotus tastes well, apparently.

Anyways, I don't want to say this is the "last entry" because you never know, right? And don't you worry, if I have any other hilarious escapades talking to turtles or something else I might just write about it here.

I did find my own way of "working for the light", I suppose. And if it brightens not just my life but maybe other people's lives along the way? It will already have been a worthwhile journey ...

Aydea

Post by Aydea » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:45 pm

*There appears to be another entry but it has no number*

While doing guild work today, I had mail from our researcher and enchantress Aydea. She sent one of her papers to me and wrote I might find it interesting given the search for the causes of corruption that I concern myself with. And after having read the entire thing, I have to say, that woman was right, I did find it interesting. So much so I am actually going to add it here for your perusal.

Shortcut involvement in Corruption - A study by Aydea, et. al

Introduction
Research on corruption isn't a new phenomenon or activity. Through out the Eastern Kingdoms as well as Kalimdor, interested parties have been conducting their own researches and even experiments. While some of it is indeed very practical and directly involved with known sources of corruption such as shadow magic or spells of the same name* this paper aims to take a more academic approach and delve into shortcuts as a possible factor and explanation for a potential source and perhaps even origin of corruption.

* a citation and reference to a spell by the name of "corruption"

Methods
Based on previous observations and research regarding strange behavior and speech patterns in people this experiment utilized "basic conversation" as a method of explorative research. The scope of the experiment encompassed four groups:
#1. Experimental Group #1
#2. Experimental Group #2
#3. Control Group #1
#4. Control Group #2

Experimental group #1 was a group of people who upon observation consistently displayed "strange behavior and speech patterns" but was still open to conversation of some kind that was legible enough to be understood. Experimental group #2 consists of a group of people who do not display "strange behavior and speech patterns" and are open for conversation. Control group #1 consists of a group of people who do display "strange behavior and speech patterns" but are not open for conversation except the answers to the four questions (to control for conversation being the cause). Control group #2 consists of a group of life forms that are not open to conversation except the answers to the four questions, do not display "strange behavior and speech patterns", and do not necessarily have any humanoid traits (to control for humanoid traits being the cause).

Each of the groups were met with a set of four basic questions about shortcuts.
- Have shortcuts been taken?
- How many shortcuts have been taken?
- What kind of shortcuts have been taken?
- Are they in favor of shortcuts

Results
A significant and notable difference was found between experimental group #1 and experimental group #2. No significant difference was found between experimental group #1 and control group #1. A significant difference was found between experimental group #1 and control group #2. No significant difference was found between experimental group #2 and control group #2.

What follows is the results in detail for each of the groups:

Experimental Group #1
- Have short cuts been taken? - Yes
- How many shortcuts have been taken? - Many. Too many to count
--> letting more experienced people work for them while they collect loot and rewards
--> accepting gold they did not earn
--> making deals with nefarious powers
- Are they in favor of shortcuts? - Yes. The more the better

Experimental Group #2
- Have shortcuts been taken? - No
- How many shortcuts have been taken? - Very few if any
- What kind of of shortcuts have been taken?
--> Running/Riding instead of walking.
--> Using the Azeroth/Kalimdor mail system instead of personal trade or the auction house
- Are they in favor of shortcuts? - Within reason, otherwise no.

Control Group #1
- Have shortcuts been taken? - Yes
- How many shortcuts have been taken? - As many as possible
--> all shortcuts available (note: answers were curt due to "not open to conversation")
- Are they in favor of shortcuts? - Absolutely. The more the better.

Control Group #2
- Have shortcuts been taken? - No
- How many shortcuts have been taken? - None
--> None
- Are they in favor of shortcuts? - No but understanding what "shortcut" means was not always clear.

Discussion
The significant difference between experimental group #1 and experimental group #2 does point towards a connection between shortcuts and this strange behavior, both groups were humanoid and both groups open to conversation however. The lack of any significant difference between experimental group #1 and control group #1 indicates that "openness to conversation" is not the cause for this strange behavior as one group was open to conversation, while the other was not open for conversation and answers to the four questions were very similar if not almost identical. The significant difference between experimental group #1 and control group #2 indicates that taking short cuts as well as having humanoid traits may have a connection to this strange behavior, however, the lack of a significant difference between experimental group #2 and control group #2 shows that having humanoid traits is not likely connected to this strange behavior as neither experimental group #2 nor control group #2 show strange behavior while experimental group #2 was humanoid and control group #2 was not humanoid.

Conclusions
Given the results of this explorative study I believe it is safe to say that there may indeed be a connection between taking short cuts and this strange behavior and it is especially interesting to see that neither openness for conversation nor having humanoid traits appears to be the cause for this strange behavior as it is shown in the results of this study. That indicates that taking short cuts may indeed be not only connected to this strange behavior but perhaps even a potential origin or origin factor of the same.

From my own personal experience as a mage, I can say that every time I have taken a short cut, I could feel the pull to continue, to take more shortcuts and more and ever more. If one does not resist this temptation one shortcut may indeed lead to the next and so on. My comment here goes back on a cautionary letter that mages received upon graduating from North Shire Abbey warning of the corruptive influence of power. Shortcuts are power, the power to save time. It makes sense to me. Time is a resource and just like any other resource like for example your gold or mana you have to learn to use it responsibly. Using your gold or mana irresponsibly causes you to run out and get into trouble. Using your time irresponsibly apparently invites corruption. Time is valuable and many things require time, like friendships, healthy communities, etc. Just like valuable things require gold and valuable spells require mana.

While the connection between taking shortcuts and corruption appears to be readily apparent, the question on whether shorts are the source of all corruption or just one source in a conglomerate of sources requires further research however, and the scope of this paper was only an explorative first insight into short cuts as a potential source of corruption.

Yes, so, like I said her style takes getting used to. From what I read though, she does have evidence on her hands that taking shortcuts is bad and does things to you. It makes sense to me too and personally, I can testify to it as well, having journeyed as far as I did and having tried to look into corruption related topics myself. Especially the part about time being a resource (like gold or mana) speaks to me as I have been made keenly aware since I started acting as the leader for our guild. Time spent, time as a resource and valuable things (like friendship, bonding, building things, etc) requiring time. It really makes sense when you look at it that way.

And why people who don't use their time responsibly can't and won't have nice things ... unless they take shortcuts. And pay the price for those later ...