The Hardcore Update: Inferno Mode

Akalix

The Hardcore Update: Inferno Mode

Post by Akalix » Mon May 29, 2023 3:35 am

Greetings! Today we are pleased to announce our Hardcore Update! This update will come in two parts.

Part One, Coming on June 16th:

Inferno Mode
  • Otherwise known as HC60, the long awaited max-level continuation of the Hardcore challenge! This gamemode can be taken by current or future Hardcore characters. Upon reaching level 55, an attunement questline will be unlocked which allows players to opt-in to Inferno Mode. Upon completion of the questline, players will gain a [Inferno] effect, allowing them to continue their Hardcore challenge at max level, and remain part of the Hardcore ecosystem.
Hardcore Guildbanks
  • Players with the [Inferno] gamemode will now be able to purchase and access Guild Bank tabs. Hardcore players without [Inferno] gamemode will still be unable to access Guild Banks.

Part Two, Coming in 1.17:

[Hardcore] Channel
  • All Hardcore characters are now added to the [Hardcore] world channel by default.
  • With this change, we will be retiring the <Still Alive> guild upon release.
  • With the retiring of the guild, [Still Alive] will become the title given to all Hardcore players to distinguish them. It will be possible to hide this title.
New Titles
  • Still Alive - Title for all those who are in the Hardcore or Inferno gamemodes.
  • Vanquisher of the Flames - Hardcore Ragnaros Kill
  • Vanquisher of the Dragons - Hardcore Nefarian Kill
  • Vanquisher of the Qiraji - Hardcore C'Thun Kill
  • Vanquisher of the Scourge - Hardcore Kel'Thuzad Kill
  • Ascended Champion - The deal is done, penned in blood. Did you really think you'd be able to back out now?
Public Relations / Community Manager / Head of Recruitment

Looking to join Turtle? Need media information? Contact me!

Akalix

Re: The Hardcore Update

Post by Akalix » Mon May 29, 2023 3:36 am

If you prefer to watch rather than read, check out the video by everyone's favorite News Orc, Vrograg!

Olivine

Post by Olivine » Mon May 29, 2023 3:38 am

Wasn't Challenger Mode a thing already albeit unofficial? Doesn't seem much of an update to me >_>

Vikare

Post by Vikare » Mon May 29, 2023 3:45 am

The moment you hit 60 as hardcore you become immortal and join normal players. The first change here lets you remain mortal. Previous to this update you could only remain hardcore if you locked yourself at 59.

Akalix

Post by Akalix » Mon May 29, 2023 3:49 am

Olivine wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 3:38 am
Wasn't Challenger Mode a thing already albeit unofficial? Doesn't seem much of an update to me >_>
There is a community which does content at 59. However, we are expanding this to allow players to continue their journey in a Death=Delete adventure further into max level content.

Jessienyan

Post by Jessienyan » Mon May 29, 2023 4:00 am

With this change, we will be retiring the <Still Alive> guild upon release.
My one issue with this change is it makes finding people for dungeon groups almost impossible. A lot of players don't have the HC chat open, so the best way to find them is to do "/who g-alive". Without a guild to identify HC players this is no longer an option.

Shroudedsoul

Post by Shroudedsoul » Mon May 29, 2023 4:06 am

Good luck to those that do this. I rather take the earned immortality when I can.

Akalix

Post by Akalix » Mon May 29, 2023 4:11 am

Jessienyan wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:00 am
My one issue with this change is it makes finding people for dungeon groups almost impossible. A lot of players don't have the HC chat open, so the best way to find them is to do "/who g-alive". Without a guild to identify HC players this is no longer an option.
This will be the function of the [Hardcore] channel, which all Hardcores will be added to by default.

Spoollyger

Post by Spoollyger » Mon May 29, 2023 4:19 am

Pretty lame to be honest, seeing someone was in <StillAlive> was the only way to know if they were an HC character. Now we will never know, what a stupid change.

Ibux

Post by Ibux » Mon May 29, 2023 4:30 am

shouldn't Conqueror of the frozen have been named Conqueror of Death?

Endlessfishing

Post by Endlessfishing » Mon May 29, 2023 4:32 am

It might be a stupid question, but does death in Challenger Mode PvP count as death?

Jessienyan

Post by Jessienyan » Mon May 29, 2023 4:33 am

Akalix wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:11 am
Jessienyan wrote:
This will be the function of the [Hardcore] channel, which all Hardcores will be added to by default.
People will just leave/mute the HC channel the same as they did with the guild chat. But not we have no way of identifying who is HC, either in open world or when looking for dungeon groups

Endlessfishing

Post by Endlessfishing » Mon May 29, 2023 4:35 am

Endlessfishing wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:32 am
Maybe a stupid question, but in Challenger Mode PvP zones (warsong gulch) does death count as death?

Thecreth

Post by Thecreth » Mon May 29, 2023 4:37 am

No more <Still Alive> ? That's really a shame.

Zenmo

Post by Zenmo » Mon May 29, 2023 4:41 am

Akalix wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 3:35 am
A new indicator will be added to show that players are participating in the Hardcore Gamemode.
Can you read?
Leveling:
Rahnd - Warrior (HC + S&S + Exhaustion)
Sheara - Rogue (Warmode)

Nerasw

Post by Nerasw » Mon May 29, 2023 4:48 am

Jessienyan wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:33 am
Akalix wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:11 am
Jessienyan wrote:

People will just leave/mute the HC channel the same as they did with the guild chat. But not we have no way of identifying who is HC, either in open world or when looking for dungeon groups
Spoollyger wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:19 am
Pretty lame to be honest, seeing someone was in <StillAlive> was the only way to know if they were an HC character. Now we will never know, what a stupid change.
Jessienyan wrote:
are you all blind? Actually nice change, nothing BOUND us to 1 guild so we can now live in our own societies and still be able to form groups/trade with all of the hc, not only those who can handle SA's chat
Akalix wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 3:35 am

• All Hardcore characters are now added to the [Hardcore] world channel by default.
  • With this change, we will be retiring the <Still Alive> guild upon release. A new indicator will be added to show that players are participating in the Hardcore Gamemode.

Ikillkings

Post by Ikillkings » Mon May 29, 2023 4:53 am

awesome! I can't wait to die at 60 :D

Eiszahn

Post by Eiszahn » Mon May 29, 2023 5:03 am

I really dont like that the standard HC guild <Still Alive> will be retired...
Its always cool to run around and see others with the same tag and for those that dont leave the guild its easy to be recognised as hc by randos too.

Noone was forced to stay there but removing the option to be there i find weird.

Clarithium

Post by Clarithium » Mon May 29, 2023 5:16 am

Eiszahn wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:03 am
Its always cool to run around and see others with the same tag and for those that dont leave the guild its easy to be recognised as hc by randos too.

Noone was forced to stay there but removing the option to be there i find weird.
there's literally a new marker that shows who is HC in place of the guild. do people not read?

Lightbloom

Post by Lightbloom » Mon May 29, 2023 5:19 am

I know it has been said that there is an indicator that someone is participating in the hardcore challenge. But removing the <Still Alive> guild completely feel weird to me. Like said, people were not forced to stay in the guild and ues sometimes guidchat was weird or even toxic, but I got a lot of useful info there too and it is nice to see others in the world with the guildname.
HC - RIP - Melotonia - level 34 Undead priest
HC - RIP - Bloodflower - level 9 Night Elf priest
HC - RIP - Lightbloom - level 11 Night Elf priest
HC - Alive - Mulu - level 32 Night Elf priest

Xerilin

Post by Xerilin » Mon May 29, 2023 5:25 am

If we have to have hc, this sounds like a good change. Being able to tell right away whether somebody is hc or not, is a plus. This way, people can play in whatever guild they like and still find hc groups. Also, people have been waiting for 60 hc. Now they got it. Let the dying begin!
Komm zur Geheimen Zuflucht (RP-Gilde)! Wir haben Zimtschnecken!

Alienne Xerilin Rubinai Irrwisch Mekhalani Flinks Kinrela Cavy

Thyx

Post by Thyx » Mon May 29, 2023 5:49 am

I'd really like to see the 1% down all of Nax in hardcore... IMO Won't happen.

Akalix

Post by Akalix » Mon May 29, 2023 6:15 am

Endlessfishing wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:32 am
It might be a stupid question, but does death in Challenger Mode PvP count as death?
Yes -- Challenger is treated as an extension of the Hardcore gamemode, meaning any death = done.

Ingameacc12345

Post by Ingameacc12345 » Mon May 29, 2023 6:28 am

Gladeshadow

Post by Gladeshadow » Mon May 29, 2023 6:37 am

Clarithium wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:16 am
Eiszahn wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:03 am

there's literally a new marker that shows who is HC in place of the guild. do people not read?
Time for the favorite question! Do you read?

The person quite clearly explained that some people do not want to be marked as hardcore. They previously did this by leaving Still Alive. The announcement said there will be a new HC marker but never specified if their is a way to remove said marker.

I generally stay in HC. Just explaining the commenter’s concern since someone didn’t read.

Malutor93

Post by Malutor93 » Mon May 29, 2023 6:43 am

I hope the server will still remain, as absolutely no death appeals.. Otherwise expect lots of appeals from 60 lvls dying to random server laggs/idiots in raid XD

Randomlyryan

Post by Randomlyryan » Mon May 29, 2023 6:53 am

No more <Still Alive> ?

No thanks, bad change. Full pass.

Edouchan

Post by Edouchan » Mon May 29, 2023 6:57 am

Can we please look into putting HC players on a different world from non-hc. The fact we cant group together means that were always compereing for quests and resources, its literally the sane ganeolay experience as being on a server full of bots.

Akalix

Post by Akalix » Mon May 29, 2023 6:58 am

Malutor93 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 6:43 am
I hope the server will still remain, as absolutely no death appeals.. Otherwise expect lots of appeals from 60 lvls dying to random server laggs/idiots in raid XD
We do not plan to add appeals. Death = Death.

Akalix

Post by Akalix » Mon May 29, 2023 6:58 am

Edouchan wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 6:57 am
Can we please look into putting HC players on a different world from non-hc. The fact we cant group together means that were always compereing for quests and resources, its literally the sane ganeolay experience as being on a server full of bots.
Unfortunately, we are not planning to open another realm currently, as our philosophy is being a warm, welcoming home for people to play at their own pace, and to come back to later if you opt to take a break.

Akalix

Post by Akalix » Mon May 29, 2023 7:03 am

Randomlyryan wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 6:53 am
No more <Still Alive> ?

No thanks, bad change. Full pass.
Unfortunately, <Still Alive> causes quite a few problems.

1. GMs need to be in multiple public Guilds at the same time to moderate them. This is not possible.
2. Lack of community building (Players are actively discouraged from joining guilds with friends, as they need <Still Alive> to access the HC ecosystem for groups and trades)
3. Players who /gquit at level 1 from spam immediately lose all access to groups and trades.

List goes on, but the community damage one is the biggest issue. Guilds are, as a system, intended to be groups of people who want to play together and socialize with eachother. A guild of 10,000 people is very departed from this concept.

Folks will still be able to find groups easily with the [Hardcore] channel, they just now have the added ability to seek out meaningful community without being punished for it.

Edouchan

Post by Edouchan » Mon May 29, 2023 7:07 am

Akalix wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 6:58 am
Edouchan wrote:
Unfortunately, we are not planning to open another realm currently, as our philosophy is being a warm, welcoming home for people to play at their own pace, and to come back to later if you opt to take a break.
Is there nothing that can be done to eleviate the annoyance? Like if HC players tag a mob, let the non HC get quest progress if they get a hit. There seems to be a lot of aggression towards eachother because of how it stands currently

Malutor93

Post by Malutor93 » Mon May 29, 2023 7:09 am

Edouchan wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 7:07 am
Akalix wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 6:58 am
Edouchan wrote:
Is there nothing that can be done to eleviate the annoyance? Like if HC players tag a mob, let the non HC get quest progress if they get a hit. There seems to be a lot of aggression towards eachother because of how it stands currently
Why would HC get such privilege over normal players? That sounds disgustingly unfair.

Nokidding

Post by Nokidding » Mon May 29, 2023 7:09 am

Still Alive was an absolute shitshow with the current population.

It's the far better solution to have a global Hardcore chat where everyone (from all guilds) who is hardcore is joining.

And like it was announced there will be some indicator of a hardcore char, so you WILL know if someone is hardcore when you see them.

All in all, this is a big W for turtle.

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Mon May 29, 2023 7:13 am

Before:
Hardcores get their own chat, but people who leave the guild lose this chat
Many hcs were in still alive, but quite a lot were not. There is no way to tell definiteively who is and isn't.

After:
Hardcores get their own chat and never lose access
You will always be able to tell who is a HC and who isn't with the new marking.

The only loss is yeah, this new tag needs to be searchable with /who. something like /who m-hc 40-45 for example.
Zaas - 60 High Elf Warrior
Saere - 60 Night Elf Priest
Splendra - 59 Inferno Mode Warlock
I play a few other classes on my friends' accounts.
Slowly leveling a Resto Dryad and a dorf pally with my buddy.