Tinkers.

Chronoslicer

Tinkers.

Post by Chronoslicer » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:22 pm

I was in the bathroom for an obscenely long time and I had a crazy idea, one that has been proposed intermittently throughout warcrafts history, no doubt

Tinkers. Here is a sample layout
Race : Goblin, Gnome, Dwarf.
Armor class: mail.
Weapon class: 1 handed maces, guns, bows, crossbows

Here is a sample of spells that I came up with, heavy inspiration from warcraft lore, and the engineer class from warhammer online

Will think of rest of the levels, and come up with an equally ludicrous talent tree layout. This is just a rough draft of a man with a fever dream.

1. Single shot (instant cast, shoots targeted enemy for ranged weapon damage, no bonus, 6 second cooldown)

3. Reinforce armor (increase armor of target by x amount)

Sundering blast (increases physical damage taken by target by x% for 30 seconds)

4. Incendiary bomb (targetable aoe dot, cast time 2s, no cd but resource intensive, non stackable)

8. Land mine ( Place mine on ground that detonates for x aoe damage when stepped on. 3 second cast time, lasts 30 seconds, limit 1 mine)

10. Gun turret (deploys gun turret that fires on nearest enemy, lasts 30 seconds, can be controlled by the tinker, only one turret of all types can be deployed at a time)

15. Concussion bomb (throws bomb that detonates on impact, stunning those within its radius for 3 seconds. 20second cooldown, stun breaks on damage)

18. Pocket Rocket ( instant cast ability, x damage, cooldown 6 seconds)

20. Rocket boots (increases running speed by 50% for 6 seconds, at a cost of 20% base health. Instant cast, 120 second cooldown)

Mortar turret (constructs turret that shells an area that the tinker targets, [ target location can be changed on the "pet" cast bar with a 3 second cooldown ]. Deals aoe damage , ticks every 3 seconds, very fragile lasts 30 seconds. Follows base rule that only one type of turret can be summoned at one time)

Designate Weak Points ( cast on one target, increases critical strike chance of all party members within 40 yards by 2%, only Target can be designated per tinker)

Sapper Vest (Sacrifices the tinker, in exchange for doing massive aoe damage, 3 second cast, cannot be slowed but can be stunned/interrupted, 30 minute cooldown, takes durability damage)

Summon mechanical Golem ( Summons mechanical golem that fights for the tinker, lasts 30 seconds, 120 second cooldown)

25. Suppression turret (Literally an earthbind totem but for tinkers, lasts 30s. Only one turret can be active at a time)

Thoughts? Concerns? Let me know what you think.

Will be back for part 2 if you care to see it!

Pauloricardo

Re: Tinkers.

Post by Pauloricardo » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:39 pm

I'm afraid this could kill the engineering profession(even more), but I will leave this question to knowledgeable person

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:18 pm

The devs havent even fixed 2006 blizz's mess that is the 9 classes. Akalix just posted they aren't interested in doing more classes at all.
Pauloricardo wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:39 pm
I'm afraid this could kill the engineering profession(even more)
Oh, you mean like all the other professions? Everything but engi is "dead". Engi deserves "death" too. No profession should grant exclusive player power.
Zaas - 60 High Elf Warrior
Saere - 60 Night Elf Priest
Splendra - 59 Inferno Mode Warlock
I play a few other classes on my friends' accounts.
Slowly leveling a Resto Dryad and a dorf pally with my buddy.

Drubarrymooer

Post by Drubarrymooer » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:14 am

I like the idea. However, I would change their dmg to be more akin to hunter/beasts. You could make them craft mechanical pets, kinda like the engineers in HFQ. Just keep summoning a mechanical pet every 30-60s, then shoot at them or melee them with special weapons only they can use that have special procs. A very fun idea. Don't listen to the naysayers. Flesh it out a bit more and pitch it to a dev. In any online game there will always be balancing issues. That doesn't mean stop creating them or content within them.

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:37 am

I believe a class should have 3 specializations, not only some spells.
For example, Steam Knight - melee DPS, Bombardier - range DPS, Siegecrafter - tank. Maybe healing spec as well.
Also I'd add Undead as available race for a Tinker, too.

Chronoslicer

Post by Chronoslicer » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:43 pm

Ugoboom wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:18 pm
The devs havent even fixed 2006 blizz's mess that is the 9 classes. Akalix just posted they aren't interested in doing more classes at all.
Pauloricardo wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:39 pm
I'm afraid this could kill the engineering profession(even more)
Oh, you mean like all the other professions? Everything but engi is "dead". Engi deserves "death" too. No profession should grant exclusive player power.
I know the dream is probably dead on this server, but it is still fun to talk about

Xudo
Has liked: 47 times

Post by Xudo » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:20 pm

Yeah. It is fun to talk about it. Lets do this.

I think that making engineer to be its own class is very resourceful idea.
It is like removing engineering as a profession and moving all additional engineer buttons to special class.
I don't agree that this class should get healing spec. It is not like using trinkets could heal you.

If hunters are ranged with melee pet, engineer could be melee with ranged pet-turret. It could be regular pet like voidwalker or hunter beasts. I mean without timer. You should feed him with bullet ammo like hunters feed their pets with meat.
This turret could use gun from gun slot. If turret is summoned, then engineer should not be able to shoot.

If your pet is ranged DPS, then this class should be some kind of tank.
Though, I think that making this class viable raid tank is very hard. So for a start it should be just melee DPS.
This class should be able to use shields. There are some shields with engineering in mind.

Regarding available races: dwarves, goblins, undead and gnomes.
I don't like to give humans additional class.
NE\HE are not engineering types of people. Orcs, trolls and taurens too.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Werefox

Post by Werefox » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:07 pm

What you are describing basically boils down to reskin of warlock class.

(The way lock is meant to be played, as opposed to discount hunter most people actually play.)

Chronoslicer

Post by Chronoslicer » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:45 pm

Werefox wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:07 pm
What you are describing basically boils down to reskin of warlock class.

(The way lock is meant to be played, as opposed to discount hunter most people actually play.)
What makes it a re-skin of the warlock class in your eyes?

Werefox

Post by Werefox » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:59 pm

Overall preliminary impression. Preliminary because you didn't say anything about resource management which is 50% of hobo with a shotgun playstyle (as opposed to discount hunter).