Why all the Hate towards blood elves?

Shadowmoon

Why all the Hate towards blood elves?

Post by Shadowmoon » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:15 am

What is it with the seething Hatred for the Blood Elves on this server? I seriously don't get it

I personally find the whole backstory behind the Blood elves from warcraft 3 very fascinating and cool yet every time someone brings up the Blood elves it seems like 90% of the feedback is negative and hateful

I understand the reasoning behind not adding the blood elves as a playable Race and I completely agree 100% on that point but I got a news flash for all of you

The Blood elves will be added to turtle wow in some capacity when the outland and Quel'thalas patch is released ok that's simply the truth.

I understand the reasoning behind not adding blood elves as a playable Race but seriously people regarding all the Hate constantly being thrown at the blood elves.... Get over it

Mativh

Re: Why all the Hate towards blood elves?

Post by Mativh » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:41 am

Turtle WoW went in a different direction with lore regarding the Blood/High Elves, in my opinion a more reasonable one than Blizzard did.
Blood Elves are High Elven survivors of the Scourge attack on Quel'thalas, who changed their name in honor of the fallen while they were under the command of Kael'thas, who joined Illidan after being mistreated by the Alliance at one point (after thousands of years of peaceful coexisting and exchange of cultures), and went to Outland to seek fel magic as the substitute magical source.
Combination of these events is what differentiates Blood Elves from High Elves. In TBC it made no sense for the Elves of Quel'thalas to keep referring to themselves as Blood Elves, let alone now when the High Elves are with the Alliance again.

If Outland was introduced, something I see being less of a priority even than Northrend since Turtle WoW is focusing on Azeroth, Blood Elves would be a renegate group of High Elves that serve the enemies of the Horde and the Alliance.
If Quel'thalas was introduced I think part of the Elves could remain loyal to Kael'thas and part could join the High Elves, and the Blood Elves would be like the Defias Humans or Lepper Gnomes.
Silvermoon would become either like Gnomeregan (a races capital city turned into a dungeon/raid inhabited by the Blood Elves Nagas and Demons, that the High Elves and Alliance are trying to reclaim, and Forsaken and the Horde are trying to conquer).
Or Silvermoon could be reclaimed as a High Elf capital, and Alah'thalas would become the Goldshire of High Elves, and Blood Elves and their allies would become one of the enemies to deal with in Quel'thalas.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

De-standardization of Classes - Immersive Racials [Undead]
My FB

Mac

Post by Mac » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:09 am

Playable Blood Elves are in the game as a skin for High Elves. Quite possibly the worst skin in the game since all it does is change your eye color but it is there if you want it. Personally, I’d like to see the wretched blood elf added as a skin for Forsaken since it seems to use the same model. It’s been suggested before.

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:29 am

This is my thoughts on blood elves.

If turtle wow ever decides to add another race to the alliance it has to be the blood elves. There are no more humanoids that would look good in the alliance.

I think the idea of the high elves accepting the blood elves and trying to cure their addiction to magic is a good story and lore element.

Also, some people just say “well there is a skin in the shop, just get that”. I don’t think adding a new race is mainly because people want a new character model. Blood elves have tons of lore which would be a great addition to turtle wow.

Ultimately, the idea of blood elves seeking forgiveness from the alliance would be the best option for introducing them as a playable race.

I made a post about the blood elves joining the alliance.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5054

Mativh

Post by Mativh » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:19 am

Whalemilk wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:29 am
This is my thoughts on blood elves.

If turtle wow ever decides to add another race to the alliance it has to be the blood elves. There are no more humanoids that would look good in the alliance.

I think the idea of the high elves accepting the blood elves and trying to cure their addiction to magic is a good story and lore element.

Also, some people just say “well there is a skin in the shop, just get that”. I don’t think adding a new race is mainly because people want a new character model. Blood elves have tons of lore which would be a great addition to turtle wow.

Ultimately, the idea of blood elves seeking forgiveness from the alliance would be the best option for introducing them as a playable race.

Following that logic, the Forsaken should also join the Alliance, they are the Humans of Lordaeron that were turned Undead but now they have back their mind and free will, yet Alliance is hostile towards them.
Because that's how the lore is, the faction conflict isn't about good vs evil. The Alliance isn't perfect virtuous paragons and the Horde isn't just a bunch of bloodthirsty beasts. And it isn't even purely about Alliance forgiving or not, but about the Blood Elves joining forces with a hostile faction (illidan). Truth is, Blood Elves are High Elves, they only have different eyes because they've meddled with Fel magic. If some of them want to leave the forces of Illidan and rejoin with the High Elves and the Alliance, that can indeed be emulated by being able to make high elf that is tainted with fel magic (different eye color), perhaps the High Elves reclaiming Quel'thalas and renegate Blood Elves joining them, but I don't think they should occupy an entire new race slot because most of Blood Elf lore is High Elf lore and they are the same race.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

De-standardization of Classes - Immersive Racials [Undead]
My FB

Tonipedia

Post by Tonipedia » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:41 am

Whalemilk wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:29 am

Err... In lorewise (warcraft 3), why are the Blood elves the ones to need to apologise? Being sended to suicide misions by Generals from the Alliance, and being sentenced to death as traitors for accepting aid from some Nagas?

The ones that need to send a olive tree will have to be Alliance leaders, not the Blood elves....

Massie2

Post by Massie2 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:33 pm

Don't worry, all Elves are hated equally.

Shadowmoon

Post by Shadowmoon » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:05 pm

Mativh wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:41 am
Turtle WoW went in a different direction with lore regarding the Blood/High Elves, in my opinion a more reasonable one than Blizzard did.
Blood Elves are High Elven survivors of the Scourge attack on Quel'thalas, who changed their name in honor of the fallen while they were under the command of Kael'thas, who joined Illidan after being mistreated by the Alliance at one point (after thousands of years of peaceful coexisting and exchange of cultures), and went to Outland to seek fel magic as the substitute magical source.
Combination of these events is what differentiates Blood Elves from High Elves. In TBC it made no sense for the Elves of Quel'thalas to keep referring to themselves as Blood Elves, let alone now when the High Elves are with the Alliance again.

If Outland was introduced, something I see being less of a priority even than Northrend since Turtle WoW is focusing on Azeroth, Blood Elves would be a renegate group of High Elves that serve the enemies of the Horde and the Alliance.
If Quel'thalas was introduced I think part of the Elves could remain loyal to Kael'thas and part could join the High Elves, and the Blood Elves would be like the Defias Humans or Lepper Gnomes.
Silvermoon would become either like Gnomeregan (a races capital city turned into a dungeon/raid inhabited by the Blood Elves Nagas and Demons, that the High Elves and Alliance are trying to reclaim, and Forsaken and the Horde are trying to conquer).
Or Silvermoon could be reclaimed as a High Elf capital, and Alah'thalas would become the Goldshire of High Elves, and Blood Elves and their allies would become one of the enemies to deal with in Quel'thalas.

The devs have already said that they are working on outland for a future content patch so it's already been confirmed that outland will eventually be added to the server

Which brings me back to my post... You can't have a outland patch without adding the blood elves in some capacity so either way we will see blood elves in the future

Shamma

Post by Shamma » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:31 pm

Shadowmoon wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:05 pm

The devs have already said that they are working on outland for a future content patch so it's already been confirmed that outland will eventually be added to the server

Which brings me back to my post... You can't have a outland patch without adding the blood elves in some capacity so either way we will see blood elves in the future
Source? I want to read up on this.

Shadowmoon

Post by Shadowmoon » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:32 pm

Shamma wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:31 pm
Shadowmoon wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4817&p=28904&hilit=Outland#p28904

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3231&p=20184&hilit=Outland#p20184

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2749&p=17212&hilit=Outland#p17212

Shamma

Post by Shamma » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:58 pm

Shadowmoon wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:32 pm
Shamma wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:31 pm
Shadowmoon wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4817&p=28904&hilit=Outland#p28904

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3231&p=20184&hilit=Outland#p20184

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2749&p=17212&hilit=Outland#p17212
Sorry mate, but this is just repeating some other players speculating there are plans. I see nothing official by anybody from the staff in those threads.

Massie2

Post by Massie2 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:14 pm

Shamma wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:58 pm
Shadowmoon wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:32 pm
-snip-
Sorry mate, but this is just repeating some other players speculating there are plans. I see nothing official by anybody from the staff in those threads.
I did 1 really simple query out of curiousity.
At some search you also have to show some basic self-initiative lmao

Adunai

Post by Adunai » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:49 pm

What I personally dislike about Turtle's implementation of the Thalassian Elves is that the High Elves cannot be Warlocks. It honestly killed my intention to play because I just can't be satisfied with a mage (with two identical Evocation spells, how unfortunate). Turtle must misunderstand the High Elves to a rather large degree, the Quel'Dorei are not a "holy race" akin to the TBC Draenei (who literally have a holy spell as their racial), the High Elves absolutely have to be able to become Warlocks... because they are _the_ quintessential magical race, they know all about the Arcane, and of course, summoning demons would be a sure thing for them.

The only flimsy counter-argument I could ever conjure out of thin air would be that the Runestones made Quel'Thalas impenetrable to demonic magic... but it all falls apart in the view of how the High Elves constituted a significant part of the Kirin Tor in Dalaran and Stormwind.

Giving the High Elves the Warrior class, the class, that is already immensely overrepresented, while keeping the Arcane class from a race possessed by Arcane is... unexpected. Again, they are not a holy race. Blood Elves are a political affiliation to Kael'thas.

And regarding the hate itself - as I have written in the other thread, I'm afraid, there might be a hateboner against the race as a whole? I mean, it's understandable, considering the High Elves being somewhat shafted for 20 years, but still, to me, they are by far the coolest archetype in all of Warcraft (with Kael'thas being reminiscent of Fëanáro, both epic tragic heroes).
The Sin'dorei reign supreme! © Grand Astromancer Capernian

Shamma

Post by Shamma » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:22 pm

Massie2 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:14 pm
I did 1 really simple query out of curiousity.
At some search you also have to show some basic self-initiative lmao
OK, you are right. I could have most likely found those posts myself, had I tried. I just thought the person I asked knew of some discussion thread on the forum I was unaware of and asked. And still this is not a confirmation. It is just speculation by Tiny based on internal discussions they have had. This is all also 6 months before Mysteries of Azeroth. I bet they have been considering Outlands as an expansion and decided to go with the tropical islands instead. It has been 1 1/2 years since those posts on Discord you dug up. And we are apparently not done with the tropical islands - a third one is about to be discovered.

I am not saying Outlands is never going to happen, mind you. But I am pretty sure it is NOT being worked on or discussed internally atm. Turtle does not have the manpower to work on multiple zones at the same time and we know what they are working on now. I also highly doubt the next expansion has already been decided. So it is possible that Outlands makes the cut for the next expansion, but if a next expansion happens, I think it is highly unlikely to be in the next 2 years. And nothing wrong with that. The islands can be pushed even further. There are more naga to be discovered and we are bound to get a naga dungeon on one of those islands (aren't we?). The ocean is vast and allows a lot of content. I like the theme so far a lot.

Ishilu

Post by Ishilu » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:24 pm

Some players (like me) prefer to play Thrall's WC3 horde of "noble savages". They might not be pretty, but they're badass happy_turtle_head .

Undead and Blood elves just don't fit into this theme and seeing Orgrimmal full of pretty Barbie dolls feels just wrong for me turtle_tongue_head.

Also, I tried to roll a blood elf on an official realm some time ago. The gender button didn't do anything?!

Daemonicas

Post by Daemonicas » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:05 pm

I would like to see Ogres added to the horde (there's plenty of lore to lean on) but I know that would have to be a resize of their models as they can't fit through doors.

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:16 pm

Selama Ashal'anore!

- we don't hate blood elves here.
-
Narrative Design for Turtle WoW

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:38 pm

Daemonicas wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:05 pm
I would like to see Ogres added to the horde (there's plenty of lore to lean on) but I know that would have to be a resize of their models as they can't fit through doors.
Make them slightly bigger than taurens. I also think that the relationship between goblins and ogres can create a lot of new lore

Filthyhalfling

Post by Filthyhalfling » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:12 pm

Adunai wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:49 pm
What I personally dislike about Turtle's implementation of the Thalassian Elves is that the High Elves cannot be Warlocks. It honestly killed my intention to play because I just can't be satisfied with a mage (with two identical Evocation spells, how unfortunate). Turtle must misunderstand the High Elves to a rather large degree, the Quel'Dorei are not a "holy race" akin to the TBC Draenei (who literally have a holy spell as their racial), the High Elves absolutely have to be able to become Warlocks... because they are _the_ quintessential magical race, they know all about the Arcane, and of course, summoning demons would be a sure thing for them.
I believe the rationale for this is that the remaining high elves are now extra vigilant to look out for and root out any especially dark or corruptive magics, given that they were betrayed by one of their own who desired dark power from the scourge, and allowed them inside the city and consequently caused the sunwell to be corrupted. The only thing that goes against this is Priests being playable, given the shadow magic they are able to use as a class, but of course they also have the light based and healing holy spells, which seems to be what they are more interested in cultivating based on at least the starting zone dialogue with the high elf priest and paladin trainers. Additionally, a propensity towards arcane magic does not equal knowledge or, in fact, interest in the pursuit of fel magic.

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:49 am

Remember the Sunwell.
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Safyre

Post by Safyre » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:26 pm

I would guess that because of the whole cataclysm thing that killed the world tree and caused the elves to become mortal, allowing blood elves or even high elven warlocks in the alliance would cause the night elves to leave the alliance. Could an acceptable lore reason be created for such an addition? I'm sure there can since you can be night elven mages, dwarven shaman, or tauren paladins in Azeroth in the other dimension. For the night elves to allow even high elves much less high elf mages I'm sure was a test of their patience. Now I haven't actually looked but if high elves can be warlocks, I hope that's a secret from the night elves. It could be enough to destabilize the alliance.

Then understand how blood elves get their holy power... by enslaving the light and siphoning its power instead of having an amiable relationship and asking for the power. I would guess plenty of priests and paladins in the alliance would have a problem with that. Could the blood elves convert? Maybe and even if they did would any alliance race trust them? Maybe. Would the beings of light forgive them and grant them holy power? Maybe this could be a whole redemption questline in a blood elf starting zone...

Talenne

Post by Talenne » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:53 pm

I actually like Blood Elves, would not mind some of them to rejoin their Quel'dorei brethren as a story direction for them either.

Never liked them going Horde on retail though, ruined the faction themes to an irrepairable degree and made Alliance look poorly written for years to come, so less to do with the race itself and more to do with the story direction.

Daemonicas

Post by Daemonicas » Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:32 pm

We never wanted Blood elves in the Horde. There is just no lore or history tying them together with the Orcs and definitely not the trolls. We wanted Ogres (the rich lore is there) but Blizzard went another route with the Tauren. I would have liked to have seen Trolls being the druids and Ogre warriors and Magi/Warlocks being brought into the fold. I like Turtle WoW's direction so far apart from dwarves being mages. Come on guys. They use runes for power not magic.

Lasershadow

Post by Lasershadow » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:03 am

If TWoW adds Blood Elves to the Alliance it would certainly seal it as separate from Retail. That is the main reason I am all for Blood Elves being an Alliance race.
Though this may affect certain aspects in the future perhaps such as the Silver Covenant vs the Sunreavers in Dalaran.
Though if Blood Elves join the Alliance: What race could be given to the Horde? Ogres? Mag'har Orcs? Blackrock Orcs? Mok'nathal? Dark Rangers?

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:59 am

They're not going to add playable Blood Elves because, other than the variety of common sense reasons like having two basically identical races, they want to use Blood Elves as an antagonistic faction.

Freddofooz

Post by Freddofooz » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:56 am

Redmagejoe wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:59 am
They're not going to add playable Blood Elves because, other than the variety of common sense reasons like having two basically identical races, they want to use Blood Elves as an antagonistic faction.
and they are also a skin you can buy