What are some good professions for a mage?

Alexamenos

What are some good professions for a mage?

Post by Alexamenos » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 pm

To get into the goblin spirit, I started off by doing Herbalism+Mining, assuming I'd make huge profits at the AH...
Sadly, while copper ore has been selling really well and herbalism still gave me a slight profit, levelling both of them is starting to be a massive chore because even though picked/mined everything in sight, i'm now level 20 and the new areas require I go back and grind the lower level materials for gods know how many hours.

So, I was going to replace one or both of these professions with something easier to level. I'm considering tailoring, since I hoarded all the Linen I got "just in case", but I don't know how useful it would be.

Bigsmerf

Re: What are some good professions for a mage?

Post by Bigsmerf » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:27 pm

Professions aren't going to make you a lot in terms of profit in early game, BUT.

You should definitely stick with both those professions though. Black lotus sells for big money and I'm sure there's some other herbs that make decent money. Mining has arcane crystals from thorium veins but I'm not sure what those'll get you. If you're willing to drop mining you can make money and also provide you and your homies with consumes using alchemy, the issue being of course herb would make less money. Not sure. Cooking is also just easy and overall worth it for sure, money aside.
Elmhoof - 60 Feral, between tanking/dps (Main)
Anbone 34 Shadow Priest (Planned secondary main)
Manypunchman - 10 Naked Troll Boxer (Hardcore)

I'm back! More or less...

Xudo
Has liked: 40 times

Post by Xudo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:00 pm

If mining is tough to level from tin to iron, then acquire yourself glove enchant and mining pick enchant from ratchet (twow addition). You can also visit lake in Ashenvale. You can find silver pretty often there.
Other professions are not easier to level. In any case you would be stuck in low level locations for long time because you'll need tons of materials to level new one.

Mining+herbalism is best bet in terms of money. All other professions are only expenses.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Gantulga

Post by Gantulga » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:05 pm

Engineering is a must.

Likaleo

Post by Likaleo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:53 pm

There is totally new profession coming soon in tower of karazhan patch you should wait woth choicw. I mean if you can wait. I personally belive it would be paired with herb

Eversongwoods

Post by Eversongwoods » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:46 pm

I would drop mining for skinning or alchemy. Skinning is very easy to level and make some gold off of it while leveling. Alchemy would be better at 60 and not too difficult to lvl. Engineering is best prof for every class if you are trying to min/max your character but its a gold sink to level up and you wont make any gold from it.

Alexamenos

Post by Alexamenos » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:55 pm

Xudo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:00 pm
If mining is tough to level from tin to iron, then acquire yourself glove enchant and mining pick enchant from ratchet (twow addition). You can also visit lake in Ashenvale. You can find silver pretty often there.
Other professions are not easier to level. In any case you would be stuck in low level locations for long time because you'll need tons of materials to level new one.

Mining+herbalism is best bet in terms of money. All other professions are only expenses.
Where can I get this pickaxe enchant? I feel I've spoken to every NPC in ratchet with no success.

Xudo
Has liked: 40 times

Post by Xudo » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:03 am

Alexamenos wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:55 pm
Where can I get this pickaxe enchant? I feel I've spoken to every NPC in ratchet with no success.
You need Traaz Ironfinger in Rachet. You need at least friendly reputation with Ratchet (neutral don't offer, I checked on Honored).
Required materials: 10 Light Leather, 1 Ornate Spyglass and mining pick.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.