Paladin vs Deathknight

Sylveria
Has liked: 3 times

Paladin vs Deathknight

Post by Sylveria » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:09 am

Greetings everyone:

I know: the topic of custom classes has been there for quite some time and i know, that the TurtleDev's don't have any plans for any custom classes. (Well.. not for the near future at least.) And since I've always been bothered by suggestions like "Give Tauren and Undead Paladins!" I instead wanna suggest the Deathknight to be a Horde-counterpart to the Paladin, not the Shaman.
The Deathknights were originally created by the Horde, or to be more precise, by Gul'dan during the Second War. Maybe there are still some Warlocks around who are or (at least) were loyal to Gul'dan and are familiar with the creation of those death knights? And by not making things too complicated and maybe deal with PvP-Issues, Deathknights could be the "Dark Copy" of Paladins:

Like:

Consecration => Death and Decay;
Exorcism (or Hammer of Wrath?) => Deathcoil

and similar stuff. Deathknights could be given to Orcs and Undead.
At this point I want to point out, that I'd like the Deathknight to be more like its WarCraft II version and not like the one Blizzard gave us with "Wrath of the Lich King". (Anyone else here who thinks, that War2-Deathknights were much cooler? happy_turtle_head )
That way the shaman might be given two both factions, and Horde has a Paladin'ish class. AND.. since some people complain about "Alliance is overrepresented here 'cuz of High Elves", that Deathknight class might give the Horde something, that makes 'em more attractive. ;)

Best Regards, an Alliance player. :P

Edit: I saw one little issue, regarding the Deathknight to be a Dark Variant of the Paladin:
Of course I'd like the Holy-Dmg of Paladings to be Shadow-Dmg for Deathknights.. but there's Shadow-Resistance but no Holy-Resistance. But Holy-Resistance used to be a thing in the Alpha of World of WarCraft. Maybe bring back this resistance, add Holy-Resistance as a Suffix on various Items which can have random stats, add it to the resistance pool of "Mark of the Wild"... and the Deathknight might have an "Resist the Light"-kind of Aura, like the Paladins have a Shadow-Resistance-Aura.
Also regarding the abilities that do extra-dmg to Undead and Demons: i think something can be done about this as well. :)

Since i wanted to give it a little more thought, i made a list of all Paladin Abilites and how to rename (and, if needed, change) 'em to fit the Deathknight class.

Code: Select all

Paladin						Deathknight

Offensive/Active Abilities:		

Crusader Strike					.Blade of the Damned
Holy Strike					.Unholy Strike
Seal of Righteousness				.
Seal of the Crusader				.
Seal of Wisdom					.
Seal of Light					.
Seal of Justice					.
Hammer of Justice				.
Hammer of Wrath					.Deathcoil
Exorcism					.
Holy Wrath					.
Consecration					.Death and Decay
Holy Shock					.
Repentance					.
Holy Shield					.Unholy Shield

Buffs/Auras:				

Blessing of Might				.Mark of Power
Blessing of Wisdom				.Mark of 
Blessing of Salvation				.Mark of Foresight
Blessing of Light				.Mark of Shadow
Blessing of Kings				.Mark of the Damned
Blessing of Sanctuary				.Mark of
Blessing of Protection				.Mark of Protection
Blessing of Freedom				.Mark of the Unshakled

Devotion Aura					.
Retribution Aura				.
Concentration Aura				.
Sanctitiy Aura					.Unholy Aura
Fire/Frost/Shadow Resist Aura			.Fire/Frost/Light Resist Aura
(or maybe change "Aura" to "Presence"?)

Other Abilities

Divine Protection				.
Divine Shield					.
Purify						.
Cleanse						.
Divine Intervention				.
Turn Undead					.Dominate Undead
Divine Favor					.
Holy Light					.Shadow Heal
Flash of Light					.Shadow Mend
Lay on Hands					.Unholy Resolve
Redemption					.
Suggestions are welcomed for ability names etc. or possible ability changes.

Harkus

Re: Paladin vs Deathknight

Post by Harkus » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:47 am

I am sorry but death knights healing people is just cursed

Sylveria
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Sylveria » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:55 am

Harkus wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:47 am
I have thought about this one as well, but when we're goin down the healing route, they might fulfill the fantasy of the 'actual' Shadow Priest (Who's no DD, but a "Dark" Healer)
And I mean... Arthas was healing his Undead minions with Deathcoil as well.. so Death Knights being able to heal is not toooo far fetched. Of course always under the condition that it's shadow-themed.

Allyally

Post by Allyally » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:58 pm

Mavbyte wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:55 am
Harkus wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:47 am
I have thought about this one as well, but when we're goin down the healing route, they might fulfill the fantasy of the 'actual' Shadow Priest (Who's no DD, but a "Dark" Healer)
And I mean... Arthas was healing his Undead minions with Deathcoil as well.. so Death Knights being able to heal is not toooo far fetched. Of course always under the condition that it's shadow-themed.
I like the idea of new classes, but Turtle Wow should develop the class Blizzard initially intended but gave up on.
Runemasters.
Monk-like class using arcane magic, they later on made Death Knights and Monks inspired by their original idea, I could see the class working similar to paladin, but having runes like Death Knight.
Duskhaven private server has custom classes on their vanilla+
I think it would be so cool to see a warlock-type healer or warlock tank, shaman tanks, but that would most probably kill the feeling people want with original Turtle wow progressing ideas.
So I doubt they will implement any new classes/races any time soon.

Zirek

Post by Zirek » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:33 pm

Really interesting because true counterparts of Paladin is Death Knights.

Thecakeisalie

Post by Thecakeisalie » Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:27 pm

I hope Turtle WoW will see the addition of new classes.
The death knight and demon hunter is probably the more iconic from the WC3 campaign, where we follow in the footsteps of Arthas and Illidan.
Would be interesting to see if the Turtle Team could put their own spin on it.

Solwitar123

Post by Solwitar123 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:45 pm

maybe change healing spec for ranged dps instead

Jstansberry

Post by Jstansberry » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:15 am

If this were to happen, I think it'd be better if it weren't a 1-to-1 mirror of paladins. There should be some distinctions in terms of ability effects and specialization. Minor things like having a battle res instead of regular res. Imagine an instant but temporary battle res - think Animate Dead from WC3 - it'd give the ressed player a powerful buff but they'd only be brought back to life for 30 seconds or so - different auras (Unholy Aura from WC3 instead of Devotion Aura) et cetera. There are many possible abilities to be drawn from relevant WC2/WC3 units. I think it'd also be better to have the class actually be a Necrolyte rather than death knight and be more a bit more caster-leaning than the paladin, with the "death knight" archetype being a spec for the class similar in function to a ret paladin. That said, I don't think Turtle will ever have custom classes as that's not the focus of the server and it's quite hard to accommodate things like that when you consider things like itemization or class balance. Would be cool to see regardless.