Turtle WoW is expanding to the East!

Sleeplust

Re: Turtle WoW is expanding to the East!

Post by Sleeplust » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:12 am

Syrathegreat wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:24 am
Bowser wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:06 pm
For example, the majority of our Spanish-speaking players know the basics of the English language. The same applies to our Russian community; most of them also understand English just fine.

However, the majority of our Chinese community does not understand English and cannot read Pinyin, making communication essentially impossible.
This just isn't true.

The Chinese school curriculum includes English, and China statistically has a similar level of basic English literacy (6%) to other non-anglophone countries such as Russia (5%), Brazil (5%), and South Korea (10%).

What they often do lack is practice speaking English which comes with welcome interaction with the international community which is what everyone else does when they're young and starting out on the internet.

Although I do welcome the opening of a Pacific server, the way this has been pitched as specifically a solution to move the Chinese population off the EU servers, as well as announcing it at 4am Chinese time for no reason, really puts a sour taste in my mouth and makes it seem as if this is really an attempt to mitigate the rampant sinophobia we've seen on the server lately, rather than any real support for our Chinese playerbase.
They simply have two aims - making profit by cooperating with a Chinese gold-selling studio, who functions as the official agent in the region, and getting rid of the majority of Chinese playerbase to make room for native English/Spanish/Russian-speaking players.

Sylveria
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Sylveria » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:08 am

Elesion wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:16 am
This is the only issue I see as a real problem, and it strikes me as mostly a technical one.
Not just technical, but also the unwillingness to communicate in english at times. especially if there's someone within your group who doesn't speak your language. that IS exclusion. if they have their own realm, they can talk/write in their own language as much as they'd like to. but to be fair, i have the same problem with our russian community.

Geojak
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Geojak » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:08 am

I think you interpret way to much into this.
Blizzard had not just English servers but instead for every region. not becuase of racism or anything. It just makes sense when you have a large enough playerbase to offer them their own sever. You don't have to move. And just like blizzard you can still play on the other server if you so wish. now Chinese have, the additional option to choose to play on a Chinese client in a Chinese envrionemtn with support team thaz csn help out with reqeust on chinese. They aren't losing anything

Its a proffesional move that blizzard is likely not going to loke seeing twow stepping up their game!
Last edited by Geojak on Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zpusb

Post by Zpusb » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:09 am

I 91 Mr. Yang said he was looking forward to it

Mafima2

Post by Mafima2 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:33 am

good move from twow. solving 2 issues at once. and it should be opt in as i understand it. graz chinese players
  • Drunzin | Level 60 Druid
  • Flufflbumpf | Level 50 Mage
  • Elyia | Level 18 Warlock HC
Thanks Turtle WoW smiling_turtle

Zhanshis

%ggggggggggg

Post by Zhanshis » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:11 pm

satisfied_turtle_head . angry_turtle angry_turtle angry_turtle angry_turtle scared_turtle_head
Last edited by Zhanshis on Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tendies

Post by Tendies » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:57 pm

Geojak wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:17 am
Holyhorrorr wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:28 am
Will the PvP for battlegrounds be cross-realm?
That woukd be great
No it would not.

Getplucked

Post by Getplucked » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:58 pm

It is already a rule that languages other than English should be kept to private messages and guilds. Just enforce this rule
That doesn't solve the problem of non-English speakers getting into my group and being unable to communicate because of the language barrier.

Tendies

Post by Tendies » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:59 pm

I hope every Chinese gets force transferred.

Samsara

Post by Samsara » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:06 pm

Getplucked wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:58 pm
It is already a rule that languages other than English should be kept to private messages and guilds. Just enforce this rule
That doesn't solve the problem of non-English speakers getting into my group and being unable to communicate because of the language barrier.
If that bothers you, don't get in the same group. Don't cast away a nation because you have fucked up boundaries.

Getplucked

Post by Getplucked » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:09 pm

"just don't get into a group with non-english speakers"
ah yes of course, why didn't I try that before, it's so easy and obvious

lol

Vanilla is a game where communication is important. Being unable to communicate with people because of a language barrier is a problem. But go on, continue to accuse me of being racist.

Samsara

Post by Samsara » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:15 pm

Getplucked wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:09 pm
"just don't get into a group with non-english speakers"
ah yes of course, why didn't I try that before, it's so easy and obvious

lol

Vanilla is a game where communication is important. Being unable to communicate with people because of a language barrier is a problem. But go on, continue to accuse me of being racist.
If you don't even say hi in a group and figure out if people can speak to each other or not, you don't get to speak for the community lol.

Borefficz

Post by Borefficz » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:26 pm

Delighted to see this, hopefully the server is physically located close to China for low ping :)

Kremmen

Post by Kremmen » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:41 pm

Samsara, you're the only person in this thread who has explicitly expressed hatred while everyone else you've accused of harbouring such feelings have only shared their rational concerns over communicative and cultural differences affecting how the game is played, none of which you've addressed in good faith.
Samsara wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:10 pm
And for the record, cultural affinity is a thing. I fucking hate the culture of my country, and I like Chinese culture.
Plaidskull - Undead Warrior
<TurtleHeads>
Progression/ guild based in the Oceanic region
Times: Monday/Saturday 7:45pm AEST (9:45am Server Time), Sunday fun/progression events 8pm AEST (10am Server Time).
https://discord.gg/gBcH9sG75n

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:44 pm

Don't reply to Samsara. Just report them for hostility and disrupting the discussion. The rest of us are actually discussing this like adults while they attack others and (incorrectly) use buzzwords like "ad hominem".

Mac

Post by Mac » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:58 pm

Will the two servers be separate but equal?

Jolikmc

Post by Jolikmc » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:05 pm

Torta wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:25 pm
Greetings, everyone! This announcement is primarily for those of you playing from China. We are excited to announce that after careful consideration, we have chosen to launch a new realm hosted in Asia! We have selected a Chinese-speaking team to represent, translate, and manage a server in China. They will uphold the values and standards of our European realm and will be fully responsible for player support, translation work, client localization, communication, and realm promotion.
Sounds like there's going to be a "Turtle Team 2", kind of like how Mega Man X DiVE was wholly managed and maintained in North America by NebulaJoy. If so, then you should let them know that they accept full responsibility for issues with the new server and realm.

Not sure I agree with the logic behind this decision. And I'm not just saying that because I've wanted a new realm for the existing server for months, now. No, it's just that you guys are always so big on "look at our numbers, wowie!" You're going to be removing a sizeable chunk of the player base in regulating them to their own little disconnected world. Additionally, unless you outright block players from China, I don't see how this would stop them from connecting to the European server. And even then, there's always VPNs and stuff…

But, uh, I guess that's not your problem if all you're doing is giving your server software to some subsidiary group and telling them to "have at it".
Let's hope they know what they're doing, in that case.
World events such as the AQ Gate opening event and Scourge invasion will be repeated CN realm.
why? Ahn'Qiraj and the Scourge Invasion weren't even part of Turtle WoW, as far as I'm aware. Not unless the server started life on 1.9.0, for some reason… I thought the point of this "Vanilla+" experience was to go forward in the timeline, not move back. May as well bring back the Elemental Invasion event of 1.4.0, too, if you're just going to reset history like this.

Edit:
They decided not to re-open the Ahn'Qiraj gates. Honestly, that was the one that wound me up. The Scourge Invasion happening over-and-over at least makes some sense in the context of the Turtle WoW timeline. It's not like defeating Kel'thuzad just magically made the Scourge an non-issue or something…

Still. Why not make your own new event instead of dipping back into the official events? I know that a lot of people enjoyed the Scourge Invasion in retail – and I'm one of them – but as I said before… Turtle WoW should be about moving forward, not about revisiting the past. And, well, the Scourge Invasion… while perfectly plausible from a lore standpoint… was supposed to be a one-time thing (until Wrath), so…
Last edited by Jolikmc on Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not currently playing. Just skulking and snarking~

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:10 pm

Jolikmc wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:05 pm
May as well bring back the Elemental Invasion event of 1.4.0, too, if you're just going to reset history like this.
Should we tell him? Alright, I'll tell him.
Elemental Invasion has been happening at its scheduled times regularly for years on Turtle. How do you think people get the components for the custom epic Elemental Leatherworker recipes? They only drop off the Elemental Invasion bosses.

Jolikmc

Post by Jolikmc » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:16 pm

No, no, you were absolutely right to tell me. I don't know everything that's going on in the server, and even after reading the very page I linked, it didn't occur to me that the event was ongoing despite the fact it was like that until Retail Patch 4.0.1.

I don't like looking like an idiot, but if I say something stupid, then I deserve to be corrected. d; Thank you.
Not currently playing. Just skulking and snarking~

Samsara

Post by Samsara » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:21 pm

Redmagejoe wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:44 pm
Don't reply to Samsara. Just report them for hostility and disrupting the discussion. The rest of us are actually discussing this like adults while they attack others and (incorrectly) use buzzwords like "ad hominem".
it was used perfectly

Samsara

Post by Samsara » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:22 pm

Kremmen wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:41 pm
Samsara, you're the only person in this thread who has explicitly expressed hatred while everyone else you've accused of harbouring such feelings have only shared their rational concerns over communicative and cultural differences affecting how the game is played, none of which you've addressed in good faith.
Samsara wrote:
And for the record, cultural affinity is a thing. I fucking hate the culture of my country, and I like Chinese culture.
It was literary emphasis i don't actually "hate" anyone. And it wasn't directed at a person in the first place. Don't be of bad faith and actually argument against the points I made if you're gonna reply.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:28 pm

Redmagejoe wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:57 pm
<Thought-out and reasoned explanation of reasons for tensions the new server is meant to address>
Samsara wrote:
So go be racist somewhere else please.
Redmagejoe wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:17 pm
<Setting aside the discussion, making any words referring to the argument inapplicable, to directly retort to an ad hominem>
Are you here to actually discuss, or just derail the conversation?

Samsara

Post by Samsara » Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:32 pm

Redmagejoe wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:28 pm
Redmagejoe wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:57 pm
<Thought-out and reasoned explanation of reasons for tensions the new server is meant to address>
Samsara wrote:
So go be racist somewhere else please.
Redmagejoe wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:17 pm
<Setting aside the discussion, making any words referring to the argument inapplicable, to directly retort to an ad hominem>
Are you here to actually discuss, or just derail the conversation?
Are you just here to trash talk me to others, tell them to not reply to me and not take your own advice, only to quote my words out of context to frame me instead of framing a well made reply to my arguments? Ad hominem is only one of the many logical fallacies you partake in, but I am not making my comments about you, you are the one targeting me personally trying to discredit me instead of discrediting my arguments. Start using logic and arguments instead of scapegoating and strawman arguments out of context. Or you know, take your own advice and ignore me. I would prefer that.

Ingameacc12345

Post by Ingameacc12345 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:11 pm

Can you actually report a post on this forum? I can't find a way to do that.

Rud2l

Post by Rud2l » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:33 pm

Thanks for doing this, it's a very good solution that will help everyone. Cheers to turtle!

Skumbanana

Post by Skumbanana » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:33 pm

Good move, this is a win-win situation for everyone. I don't see any argument against it. If there's the resources to do it, perfect. Plus, it's opt-in. Everyone's happy. The end

Alexsage

Post by Alexsage » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:32 pm

I'm not surprised this is happening but I am surprised this is Happening and HC server isn't.
AlexSage - Human Warrior
Stormrunner - Tauren Shaman

Vitalius

Post by Vitalius » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:36 am

Would be some communication kept between servers? E.g. cross-server BGs (Alliance-Europe and Horde-China or vice versa), shared auction house etc. Or separation is complete?

Zulnam
Has liked: 4 times

Post by Zulnam » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:59 am

Nice idea. Also happy about the QA/Scourge events repeating since they were great events and having them once in the entire lifetime of a turtle server feels a bit unfair.

Regarding the new server, will it be connected to the western one for battlegrounds, similar to vanilla/classic battlegroups?

Aeternusdoleo

Post by Aeternusdoleo » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:31 am

Samsara wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:38 pm
I'm not a fan of separate realms. Should be layers at most. Why can't I make Chinese friends? At this rate give a realm to Russians, to Americans, to Latin Americans, etc.
Is it too much to ask that we get to vote on it? The racists are way too loud about their dislike of the Chinese.
There are a multitude of problems that are not racist in nature. The biggest one being the language barrier. Most of the western world, especially online, will speak english to a degree. China, not so much. How can you make friends with people you can't talk to because you don't share a common language?

On top of that, things are simply getting too crowded.

Xudo
Has liked: 47 times

Post by Xudo » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:40 am

Grats team with 8k online. 3 months from last peak and online still growin up. Good job.
It is good that server population gets divided to some degree.
I think if someone from China want to play on EU server, then he will be able to. Though to have some fun out of it, those individuals should be able to speak english or atleast any european language.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Wowplaya69

Post by Wowplaya69 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:30 pm

I strongly disagree with this decision.

In a world divided and increasingly aggressive twow was a great opportunity for cross cultural communication and humanization of the other.

It is difficult to communicate with other cultures, but in the context of a shared game it's easier than on some internet forum or relying on the media to do it for us... all the news tells me is "we are good and they are bad".

Since the influx I've learned some basic chinese phrases (pinyin), and I've observed that some of the chinese population have basic english words or phrases - no doubt we would all learn more while playing together.

What a shame to have thrown that away, and what for? ...so that a vocal minority of players don't have to make an effort to communicate in groups that are typically over-levelled anyway? wary_turtle_head

Galindae

Post by Galindae » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:25 pm

will they transfer their characters to new china server, or they will need start from 0?

Allwynd01
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Allwynd01 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:04 pm

Wowplaya69 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:30 pm
I strongly disagree with this decision.

In a world divided and increasingly aggressive twow was a great opportunity for cross cultural communication and humanization of the other.

It is difficult to communicate with other cultures, but in the context of a shared game it's easier than on some internet forum or relying on the media to do it for us... all the news tells me is "we are good and they are bad".

Since the influx I've learned some basic chinese phrases (pinyin), and I've observed that some of the chinese population have basic english words or phrases - no doubt we would all learn more while playing together.

What a shame to have thrown that away, and what for? ...so that a vocal minority of players don't have to make an effort to communicate in groups that are typically over-levelled anyway? wary_turtle_head
I also don't understand why they have to make a server for the Chinese.

Shaman111

Post by Shaman111 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:08 pm

so many people pretending to be clueless in this thread for some good boy points i imagine? its obviously a good decision, even though its 100% motivated by rmt vendors paying twow staff their cut