Far, far future: Four factions and Turtle WoW 3.0

Galendor

Far, far future: Four factions and Turtle WoW 3.0

Post by Galendor » Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:41 pm

Greetings.
It's no secret that the composition of the factions in WoW is very inconsistent: Blizzard's attempts to create a conflict between two sides have led to the fact that these unions include races that do not fit in at all.
Based on the ideals of chivalry and progress, the Alliance is poorly suited to the night elves, for whom humans, dwarves and gnomes are the same ravagers of nature as orcs. On the other hand, Thrall's Horde is based on spiritual traditions that the Forsaken, with their questionable morals and attempts to create a New Plague, do not correspond to.
I believe the Night elves and the Undead should be separate factions, as they were in Warcraft 3.
But is it possible to recreate a four-sided world as it should be? And what would the game look like?

LORE

The events surrounding the night elves' allegiance to the Alliance are still a little cloudy. Was it simply gratitude to the Alliance for their help during the Third War and the events at Hyjal that caused them to join, or did the night elves tried to protect Kalimdor from the Horde's expansion? Now it matters not, because the Alliance turned out to be no better for the night elves than the Horde: political intrigues, desecration of nature in pursuit of progress and secrets of the past, the use of Arcane magic - all this goes against the principles of Kaldorei. This caused the Night Elves to distance themselves from the rest of the Alliance.
But the night elves have their own proponents who share the same values. Those who are still faithful to the old oathes - furbolgs, children of Cenarius and even mighty drakonids, servants of Ysera - all of them answerd to the call of Kaldorei to create a new union - the Emerald Concord. The Concord maintains good relations with the Alliance as a sign of goodwill, but shall defend own interests in Kalimdor and beyond.

At the same time, the Forsaken had sufficiently strengthened their positions in Eastern Kingdoms and felt that their association with the Horde had exhausted its benefits. The Horde's military interests on Kalimdor were poorly correlated with the interests of the Forsaken, and the undead had no tools to influence the Horde's policy. All this forced Sylvanas and Varimatras to look for new allies who could be used for their own purposes. As a result, the Forsaken formed an alliance with the faction of Dark Iron dwarves, as well as with a small enclave of blood elves and nagas who escaped from Northrend and failed to retreat with their lords to Outland (that, basically, makes them a mix of "Dark Alliance" vibe and Illidari aestetics). This Ashen Covenant claims power in the north of the Eastern Kingdoms, challenging the interests of the Alliance, and still saves old diplomatic bonds in the Horde - but who knows when these bonds will be cutted off entirely?..

GAMEPLAY

The basics of "new" factions were desribed by me some time ago:
Galendor wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:24 am
Let's say, we wanna create akin of Illidari faction. We're implementing racial restrictions to all existing Horde quests, so only Vanilla races + goblins can accept these quests. Then we're adding new races to the Horde - our "Illidari" races, and set their starting reputation with the Horde as "Hostile". Then we're creating Illidari quests with racial restrictions, so only Illidari races can accept these quests. Now your Illidari are imitating their own faction in most aspects of the game.

Even the character creation screen is redactable, and can place races in any possible order, without their dependency from their faction, so the third column can be added, too.

The problem here is pvp, because such plaulyers will inevitably be marking as Horde players, so they'll be sided with other Hrode members on BGs. However, it's solvable by adding ingame explaining that Illidari are in a state of fragile truce with the Horde.
I believe that this way we can have an imitations of fully functioning factions without hardcore coding, and this is how the game will look:

WHAT'S NEXT?

As you see at the picture, I added something spicy as the expansion of described events. Factions, old and new, are growing and recruiting more new allies after the opening of the Dark Portal. The Alliance will unite with the Sons of Lothar, who have long established ties with the Draenei tribes. Rexxar's futile quest of searching his own kin will lead to including Ogres of Outland in the Horde. The Concord will finally find connections between Elune's will and Worgens, embracing these feral creatures to their ranks. And, finally, the Covenant will find new allies among Satyrs, thanks to Varimatras and his... demonic... charisma.

Of course, all of it is not a work for a week or two - I totally understand that it could be releazed in Turtle WoW 2.0 or even 3.0. But I believe that such changes will make this game much closer to Warcraft 3 worldbuilding and will allow to tell more interesting stories on Azeroth and beyond.

Akos1896
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Far, far future: Four factions and Turtle WoW 3.0

Post by Akos1896 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:52 pm

I could see this in a more drastical private server, but not here.
Would require a bunch of new races just to have a questionnable gameplay experience. Lore-wise good idea but def not Vanilla+.

Mac

Post by Mac » Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:52 am

I think it is an interesting take on the factions. Definitely more in line with Warcraft III. I really like the idea of a Night Elf faction, especially one that would include playable furbolg and children of cenarion. Playable ogres is also a big plus.

Zeran

Post by Zeran » Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:43 am

Galendor wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:41 pm
Greetings.
It's no secret that the composition of the factions in WoW is very inconsistent: Blizzard's attempts to create a conflict between two sides have led to the fact that these unions include races that do not fit in at all.
Based on the ideals of chivalry and progress, the Alliance is poorly suited to the night elves, for whom humans, dwarves and gnomes are the same ravagers of nature as orcs. On the other hand, Thrall's Horde is based on spiritual traditions that the Forsaken, with their questionable morals and attempts to create a New Plague, do not correspond to.
I believe the Night elves and the Undead should be separate factions, as they were in Warcraft 3.
But is it possible to recreate a four-sided world as it should be? And what would the game look like?

LORE

The events surrounding the night elves' allegiance to the Alliance are still a little cloudy. Was it simply gratitude to the Alliance for their help during the Third War and the events at Hyjal that caused them to join, or did the night elves tried to protect Kalimdor from the Horde's expansion? Now it matters not, because the Alliance turned out to be no better for the night elves than the Horde: political intrigues, desecration of nature in pursuit of progress and secrets of the past, the use of Arcane magic - all this goes against the principles of Kaldorei. This caused the Night Elves to distance themselves from the rest of the Alliance.
But the night elves have their own proponents who share the same values. Those who are still faithful to the old oathes - furbolgs, children of Cenarius and even mighty drakonids, servants of Ysera - all of them answerd to the call of Kaldorei to create a new union - the Emerald Concord. The Concord maintains good relations with the Alliance as a sign of goodwill, but shall defend own interests in Kalimdor and beyond.

At the same time, the Forsaken had sufficiently strengthened their positions in Eastern Kingdoms and felt that their association with the Horde had exhausted its benefits. The Horde's military interests on Kalimdor were poorly correlated with the interests of the Forsaken, and the undead had no tools to influence the Horde's policy. All this forced Sylvanas and Varimatras to look for new allies who could be used for their own purposes. As a result, the Forsaken formed an alliance with the faction of Dark Iron dwarves, as well as with a small enclave of blood elves and nagas who escaped from Northrend and failed to retreat with their lords to Outland (that, basically, makes them a mix of "Dark Alliance" vibe and Illidari aestetics). This Ashen Covenant claims power in the north of the Eastern Kingdoms, challenging the interests of the Alliance, and still saves old diplomatic bonds in the Horde - but who knows when these bonds will be cutted off entirely?..

GAMEPLAY

The basics of "new" factions were desribed by me some time ago:
Galendor wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:24 am
Let's say, we wanna create akin of Illidari faction. We're implementing racial restrictions to all existing Horde quests, so only Vanilla races + goblins can accept these quests. Then we're adding new races to the Horde - our "Illidari" races, and set their starting reputation with the Horde as "Hostile". Then we're creating Illidari quests with racial restrictions, so only Illidari races can accept these quests. Now your Illidari are imitating their own faction in most aspects of the game.

Even the character creation screen is redactable, and can place races in any possible order, without their dependency from their faction, so the third column can be added, too.

The problem here is pvp, because such plaulyers will inevitably be marking as Horde players, so they'll be sided with other Hrode members on BGs. However, it's solvable by adding ingame explaining that Illidari are in a state of fragile truce with the Horde.
I believe that this way we can have an imitations of fully functioning factions without hardcore coding, and this is how the game will look:

WHAT'S NEXT?

As you see at the picture, I added something spicy as the expansion of described events. Factions, old and new, are growing and recruiting more new allies after the opening of the Dark Portal. The Alliance will unite with the Sons of Lothar, who have long established ties with the Draenei tribes. Rexxar's futile quest of searching his own kin will lead to including Ogres of Outland in the Horde. The Concord will finally find connections between Elune's will and Worgens, embracing these feral creatures to their ranks. And, finally, the Covenant will find new allies among Satyrs, thanks to Varimatras and his... demonic... charisma.

Of course, all of it is not a work for a week or two - I totally understand that it could be releazed in Turtle WoW 2.0 or even 3.0. But I believe that such changes will make this game much closer to Warcraft 3 worldbuilding and will allow to tell more interesting stories on Azeroth and beyond.
Why would the Worgen - alien beings from another dimension/planet in Vanilla lore - ally with either of the 2 factions?
You ever 'av dreams of da Empire of Zul, mon?

Da Zandali di'chuka!

Main Toon's Armoury: Jil'nei

Guild Leader of <Glorious Amani Tribe>

I have alts, too turtle_tongue

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:06 am

Zeran wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:43 am
Why would the Worgen - alien beings from another dimension/planet in Vanilla lore - ally with either of the 2 factions?
The true question is - why Elune sent to kaldorei the Scythe that is able to bring worgens in our world?..

Adorlastus

Post by Adorlastus » Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:23 am

Great vision! I love IT!

Elleshar
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Elleshar » Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:13 am

Four factions would be cool but will likely never happen sadly.

Sylveria
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Sylveria » Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:16 am

Elleshar wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:13 am
Especially because i think 99% of Night elf Players wouldnt Like the Idea of being ripped Out of the Alliance all of a sudden.

Likaleo

Post by Likaleo » Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:59 am

Sylveria wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:16 am
Elleshar wrote:
Especially because i think 99% of Night elf Players wouldnt Like the Idea of being ripped Out of the Alliance all of a sudden.
Those danm pointy ear elfs are reason we cannot have nice things. Torta prob have patch ready to go but nelfs said no

Sylveria
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Sylveria » Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:29 am

Likaleo wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:59 am
Sylveria wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:16 am
Elleshar wrote:
Those danm pointy ear elfs are reason we cannot have nice things. Torta prob have patch ready to go but nelfs said no
Now you're paranoid. turtle_tongue_head

Xudo
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Xudo » Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:14 am

Galendor wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:06 am
Zeran wrote:
The true question is - why Elune sent to kaldorei the Scythe that is able to bring worgens in our world?..
Scythe was supposed to grant druids lunar power to fight fel demons. Worgens were just a side-effect.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:50 am

Xudo wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:14 am
Galendor wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:06 am
Zeran wrote:
Scythe was supposed to grant druids lunar power to fight fel demons. Worgens were just a side-effect.
Interesting idea. But according to Velinde's journal:

"For many hours I examined the tool that the goddess granted to me. It is no ordinary weapon, that is for certain, nor is it a simple magical implement. With it... it is as though the barriers of time and space are weakened.

Holding the Scythe in my hands, I received a vision of chaos. Wolf-men... the worgen... battled an incredible enemy. The worgen fought savagely, as fit their primitive race, but their enemy was unflinching: the Lords of the Emerald Flame.

And that was when I realized the true power of the Scythe. By focusing on it, I became able to communicate with the worgen. It was not speech I used to contact them, however. It was something different... I could not describe it."

It doesn't look like side-effects for me.