[OLD SUGGESTION THREAD] Jewelcrafting

Imonobor
Has liked: 2 times

[OLD SUGGESTION THREAD] Jewelcrafting

Post by Imonobor » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:30 pm

JEWELCRAFTING

!!! This is not a thread of the official upcoming jewelcrafting profession, this is an older suggestion thread where I threw ideas. For official information, check here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=12462&sid=097b5af2 ... 24e7a73c17 !!!

I think jewelcrafting has a lot of potential to fill some gaps in craftable classes of items, and provide unique features not available to other professions or anywhere else in the game.
Before you go "OH NO SOCKETS!", I agree. Socketing was a lackluster system when it was introduced in TBC, while it did give some freedom of customization on the stats of an item, I don't think it was (or is) a well thought and fleshed out system. It ended up as just another expense for raiders to dish out for the bis sockets and spam them all over their gear regardless of socket color. Meta gems were a bit more interesting, but not powerful enough to be gamechangers.
So I don't think we should copy the socketing system, but perhaps create some other unique feature of the profession.

Below are some of the ideas I currently have for the profession. If you'd like to add to the list, please comment and let's brainstorm up some unique and awesome features together!

-Prospecting-
A gamble that lets jewelers turn ores into gems (most of the time). It will also give sideproducts like grey vendor trash, some usable materials like dusts that can be used to polish gemstones (read below), or even enchanting dusts (that might also be used as materials by the profession)

Ores will be prospected one-by-one (1 sec cast time so its not monotonous to do). Each ore will have a chance to contain:
  • 20% - Gem of appropriate level for the ore
    50% - 1-3 Ore dust that can be used for polishing
    20% - 1-3 enchanting dust of appropriate level
    10% - grey vendor trash
-Crafting-
Jewelers can craft the following categories of items:

*Staves: Using wood (for low level staves) or rods from blacksmithing (giving them another good use) and gemstones, uncraftable by current professions.

*Rings and Necklaces: Using precious metals and gems, uncraftable by current professions.

*Trinkets: Brooches, Figurines, Earrings and other fine crafts of precious metals and gemstones. The effects will range from flat stats to interesting on-use effects, giving an alternative to Engineering for trinket lovers, and a meaningful way to fill your trinket slots at low levels.

*Offhand Frills and Wands: Similar to staves, these categories of items cannot be crafted by current professions.

*A few (cloth?) armor pieces like crowns, coronets, monocles, jeweled bracers and belts, etc.

-Permanent item enchants-
Jewelers will be able to polish/enhance jewelry (rings and necklaces, maybe even trinkets?) to apply an enchantment to them, giving stat bonuses. They will be also able to enchant other people's jewelry.

Enchants will require materials like ore dusts, polished gems and enchanting dusts.

-Polishing gems-
Once every 12 hours, jewelers would be able to polish gemstones in order to increase their vendor value randomly.
For example a Citrine, when polished could turn into:
  • 20%: Chipped Citrine (half vendor value, grey quality)
    60%: Flawless Citrine (double vendor value, rare quality)
    20%: Perfect Citrine (triple vendor value, epic quality)
The Flawless and Perfect versions of gems will be required by some recipes. Polishing will have a 12hr cooldown and will be available at skill level 1, but gems will have requirements in order to be polished:
  • Malachite: 1 skill / copper dust
    Tigerseye: 30 skill / copper dust
    Shadowgem: 60 skill / tin dust
    Moss Agate: 100 skill / silver dust
    Lesser Moonstone: 135 skill / iron dust
    Jade: 175 skill / iron dust
    Citrine: 200 skill / gold dust
    Aquamarine: 220 skill / mithril dust
    Star Ruby: 240 skill / mithril dust
    Large Opal: 255 skill / truesilver dust
    Huge Emerald: 270 skill / truesilver dust
    Arcane Crystal: 280 skill / thorium dust
    Azerothian Diamond: 290 skill / thorium dust
Each tier of gem will also require a tier of ore dust from prospecting to polish.
Pearls will not be polish-able, but will still be used in other recipes.

-Statuettes-
Jewelers will be able to craft statuettes from certain stone/gem types that will be consumables that will summon a pet for a short time. Different types will be available, including ones that fight for you, ones that regain health and/or mana to you and your allies (think miniature WC3 obsidian statues); ones that buff you, or any combination of the three.
These will not be usable while another item-based pet is currently out (like from the scarlet monastery whistle).

-A few fun things-
Things like a jade chess set that will allow you to play chess with other players in-game, and possibly other simple board games like checkers, reversi, go, backgammon, etc. This will give roleplayers and boredplayers a great passtime.
Other fun things can include non-combat pets and decorative statuettes you can place into the world.
Last edited by Imonobor on Fri May 03, 2024 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nydas - 60 High Elf Mage (Nordanaar)
Farren - 60 Tauren Shaman (Nordanaar)
Gothric - 15 Human Paladin (Nordanaar)
Markal - 58 Undead Priest (Tel'Abim)

Wafflecrusher

Re: New profession: Jewelcrafting

Post by Wafflecrusher » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:34 pm

Good idea, +1

Jc473

Post by Jc473 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:38 pm

Imonobor wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:30 pm
JEWELCRAFTING

I think jewelcrafting has a lot of potential to fill some gaps in craftable classes of items, and provide unique features not available to other professions or anywhere else in the game.
Before you go "OH NO SOCKETS!", I agree. Socketing was a lackluster system when it was introduced in TBC, while it did give some freedom of customization on the stats of an item, I don't think it was (or is) a well thought and fleshed out system. It ended up as just another expense for raiders to dish out for the bis sockets and spam them all over their gear regardless of socket color. Meta gems were a bit more interesting, but not powerful enough to be gamechangers.
So I don't think we should copy the socketing system, but perhaps create some other unique feature of the profession.

Below are some of the ideas I currently have for the profession. If you'd like to add to the list, please comment and let's brainstorm up some unique and awesome features together!

-Prospecting-
A gamble that lets jewelers turn ores into gems (most of the time). It will also give sideproducts like grey vendor trash, some usable materials like dusts that can be used to polish gemstones (read below), or even enchanting dusts (that might also be used as materials by the profession)

Ores will be prospected one-by-one (1 sec cast time so its not monotonous to do). Each ore will have a chance to contain:
  • 20% - Gem of appropriate level for the ore
    50% - 1-3 Ore dust that can be used for polishing
    20% - 1-3 enchanting dust of appropriate level
    10% - grey vendor trash
-Crafting-
Jewelers can craft the following categories of items:

*Staves: Using wood (for low level staves) or rods from blacksmithing (giving them another good use) and gemstones, uncraftable by current professions.

*Rings and Necklaces: Using precious metals and gems, uncraftable by current professions.

*Trinkets: Brooches, Figurines, Earrings and other fine crafts of precious metals and gemstones. The effects will range from flat stats to interesting on-use effects, giving an alternative to Engineering for trinket lovers, and a meaningful way to fill your trinket slots at low levels.

*Offhand Frills and Wands: Similar to staves, these categories of items cannot be crafted by current professions.

*A few (cloth?) armor pieces like crowns, coronets, jeweled bracers and belts, etc.

-Permanent item enchants-
Jewelers will be able to polish/enhance jewelry (rings and necklaces, maybe even trinkets?) to apply an enchantment to them, giving stat bonuses. They will be also able to enchant other people's jewelry.

Enchants will require materials like ore dusts, polished gems and enchanting dusts.

-Polishing gems-
Once every 12 hours, jewelers would be able to polish gemstones in order to increase their vendor value randomly.
For example a Citrine, when polished could turn into:
  • 20%: Chipped Citrine (half vendor value, grey quality)
    60%: Flawless Citrine (double vendor value, rare quality)
    20%: Perfect Citrine (triple vendor value, epic quality)
The Flawless and Perfect versions of gems will be required by some recipes. Polishing will have a 12hr cooldown and will be available at skill level 1, but gems will have requirements in order to be polished:
  • Malachite: 1 skill / copper dust
    Tigerseye: 30 skill / copper dust
    Shadowgem: 60 skill / tin dust
    Moss Agate: 100 skill / silver dust
    Lesser Moonstone: 135 skill / iron dust
    Jade: 175 skill / iron dust
    Citrine: 200 skill / gold dust
    Aquamarine: 220 skill / mithril dust
    Star Ruby: 240 skill / mithril dust
    Large Opal: 255 skill / truesilver dust
    Huge Emerald: 270 skill / truesilver dust
    Arcane Crystal: 280 skill / thorium dust
    Azerothian Diamond: 290 skill / thorium dust
Each tier of gem will also require a tier of ore dust from prospecting to polish.
Pearls will not be polish-able, but will still be used in other recipes.

-Statuettes-
Jewelers will be able to craft statuettes from certain stone/gem types that will be consumables that will summon a pet for a short time. Different types will be available, including ones that fight for you, ones that regain health and/or mana to you and your allies (think miniature WC3 obsidian statues); ones that buff you, or any combination of the three.
These will not be usable while another item-based pet is currently out (like from the scarlet monastery whistle).

-A few fun things-
Things like a jade chess set that will allow you to play chess with other players in-game, and possibly other simple board games like checkers, reversi, go, backgammon, etc. This will give roleplayers and boredplayers a great passtime.
Other fun things can include non-combat pets and decorative statuettes you can place into the world.
I think this is a great idea. As per your introduction, I am one of the people that was rolling my eyes at the inclusion of sockets... :)

A couple of points:
1) Prospecting - I think, similar to your Polishing system, you should include a failure rate where you end up with nothing. Perhaps a 25% chance? I don't think you should be able to get grey items for vendoring. I don't think being able to turn ore into money (at any rate) is a good thing. I think getting items (gems/ore dust/enchanting dust) which feed into other professions is a great system.

2) Polishing - I like the having a chance to fail (perhaps it's the gambler in me...). Quick question - is it your intention for people to feel it's profitable to sell Flawless/Perfect gems to the vendors? Assuming the system is well designed/balanced, I figured you will always get a better price on the AH.

Imonobor

Post by Imonobor » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:18 pm

Jc473 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:38 pm
I think this is a great idea. As per your introduction, I am one of the people that was rolling my eyes at the inclusion of sockets... :)

A couple of points:
1) Prospecting - I think, similar to your Polishing system, you should include a failure rate where you end up with nothing. Perhaps a 25% chance? I don't think you should be able to get grey items for vendoring. I don't think being able to turn ore into money (at any rate) is a good thing. I think getting items (gems/ore dust/enchanting dust) which feed into other professions is a great system.

2) Polishing - I like the having a chance to fail (perhaps it's the gambler in me...). Quick question - is it your intention for people to feel it's profitable to sell Flawless/Perfect gems to the vendors? Assuming the system is well designed/balanced, I figured you will always get a better price on the AH.
1) The grey vendor trash was intended to be the failure rate of prospecting, and would be mostly a flavor. The grey item in question would be "Cracked rock chunks" or somesuch and would sell for 30-50 copper, and won't scale for higher ore types. It's just there to prevent that feeling of emptiness when you try to loot something and nothing happens (as when skinning some creature that drops nothing when skinned), and could aid to recoup some of the cost of ores for Jewelers who are just starting out.

2) This depends on the gem type and how many uses its flawless/perfect variants have. For some it will be purely a money making method, since for these gems the AH price is already bottomed out at the vendor value of the base gem, so it could be profitable to buy gems and polish and vendor them when you have CDs to spare for some profit. However, the flawless, and especially the perfect versions of endgame gems will be in high demand due to their use in endgame ring/neck enchants and jewelry recipes, so selling them on the AH is viable (if you want to take the risk with the huge deposit cost).

Thoriamuss

Post by Thoriamuss » Thu May 02, 2024 11:02 pm

Can we post the craftable items? Are the items high quality items or are they items for your ALTs?

Xanael

Post by Xanael » Fri May 03, 2024 4:16 am

I hope there will be some unique socket system, atleast for lvling(if we dont wanna change end game state), its always nice to feel up your gear with some stats!

Xerilin

Post by Xerilin » Fri May 03, 2024 4:25 am

Xanael wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 4:16 am
I hope there will be some unique socket system, atleast for lvling(if we dont wanna change end game state), its always nice to feel up your gear with some stats!
Thoriamuss wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:02 pm
Can we post the craftable items? Are the items high quality items or are they items for your ALTs?
This is a suggestion post. Be sure to check out viewtopic.php?f=63&t=12462&sid=097b5af2 ... 24e7a73c17 for all currently available info.
Komm zur Geheimen Zuflucht (RP-Gilde)! Wir haben Zimtschnecken!

Alienne Xerilin Rubinai Irrwisch Mekhalani Flinks Kinrela Cavy

Imonobor

Re: [OLD SUGGESTION THREAD] Jewelcrafting

Post by Imonobor » Fri May 03, 2024 6:52 am

Edited the title and put a large disclaimer at the top of this post to avoid further confusion.

Zvyrhol

Post by Zvyrhol » Fri May 03, 2024 7:57 pm

Some suggestions old well. I wonder if this thread inspired the Team or they had the same plans as OP?
The devil is in the detail.
viewtopic.php?t=13520

Xerilin

Post by Xerilin » Fri May 03, 2024 9:50 pm

Zvyrhol wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 7:57 pm
Some suggestions old well. I wonder if this thread inspired the Team or they had the same plans as OP?
Aged well indeed. Someone from the team (Shang) said on discord that they have been working on Jewelcrafting for about one and a half years, which would be way longer than the age of this thread. Maybe they incorporated some of the ideas named here, though.

Imonobor

Post by Imonobor » Sat May 04, 2024 6:55 am

Xerilin wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:50 pm
Zvyrhol wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 7:57 pm
Aged well indeed. Someone from the team (Shang) said on discord that they have been working on Jewelcrafting for about one and a half years, which would be way longer than the age of this thread. Maybe they incorporated some of the ideas named here, though.
If my ideas did somehow inspire them, I'd be very glad and honored, but as you mentioned, they must have had this in development for quite a while. Still, we don't have very in-depth information about how the official profession is going to work, whether it's going to have systems similar to prospecting and polishing, or if they will implement that jade chess set (please! ❤️)
Guess we'll wait and see :)

Xerilin

Post by Xerilin » Sat May 04, 2024 10:29 am

Now I want a jade chess set. It could even be absurdly expensive and require a stack of jade plus some enchanted leather and whatever...

Xudo
Has liked: 40 times

Post by Xudo » Sat May 04, 2024 1:19 pm

A lot of work regarding profession is in choosing which exact items to add, which stats should they get and which materials should they require. All ideas on forum are very general and vague. Real work starts when you get to implementation.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Imonobor

Post by Imonobor » Sun May 05, 2024 6:21 am

Xudo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 1:19 pm
A lot of work regarding profession is in choosing which exact items to add, which stats should they get and which materials should they require. All ideas on forum are very general and vague. Real work starts when you get to implementation.
Even if someone were to write a list of all items, their required materials and exact stats, or hell, even wrote their code using the item creator, the turtle team will never just copy and paste that into the game, they prefer to do things their own way, and with good reason - they have way more experience with balancing and modding than the average forum user. They never even implement the vague ideas one-to-one with what's suggested and that's fine too.
We don't claim to have done any "real work" other than brainstorming up some ideas that we hope might inspire them. satisfied_turtle_head

Xerilin

Post by Xerilin » Sun May 05, 2024 8:02 am

Imonobor wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 6:21 am
Xudo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 1:19 pm
Even if someone were to write a list of all items, their required materials and exact stats, or hell, even wrote their code using the item creator, the turtle team will never just copy and paste that into the game, they prefer to do things their own way, and with good reason - they have way more experience with balancing and modding than the average forum user. They never even implement the vague ideas one-to-one with what's suggested and that's fine too.
We don't claim to have done any "real work" other than brainstorming up some ideas that we hope might inspire them. satisfied_turtle_head
Also, they need to ballance any new profession with other planned changes. Players don't lnow them, so can't do that.