Threat Mechanics from Black Grasp of the Destroyer

Nurincarinun

Threat Mechanics from Black Grasp of the Destroyer

Post by Nurincarinun » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:29 pm

I think the mana-drain effect from "Black Grasp of the Destroyer" includes an interesting threat mechanic atm. Whether it is to be considered a bug instead is left to interpretation I guess:

When I send my pet into a group of mobs and then start attacking the same mob as my pet, nothing out of the ordinary happens. When I do the same with said gloves equipped, I suddenly get aggro of all the mobs from the pack that my (single-target only) pet is not directly attacking. I conclude that the mana drain effect from the gloves builts up threat on all mobs in the fight, even those that are not affected by the mana drain itself.

Now this could be considered helpful for tanking as a shaman/pala.

That's all actually. Have a nice day!

Geojak
Has liked: 8 times

Re: Threat Mechanics from Black Grasp of the Destroyer

Post by Geojak » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:57 pm

Doesn't judgement of wisdom mana also cause threat? Palas already use this alot

Imonobor
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Imonobor » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm

Interesting. I was considefing these gloves for my shamatanking set, it seems they have even more merit than they first appear to. If only they had any tank stats, at least some stamina, they would be even better for this purpose.

I suspect it's the "gaining mana" part that generates aggro. Does it happen when attacking mobs without mana bars as well?

I remember when Evocation got changed in TBC to directly generate mana instead of supercharge your spirit-based regen, mages left and right were getting massive amounts of AoE aggro while evocating.
Nydas - 60 High Elf Mage (Nordanaar)
Farren - 60 Tauren Shaman (Nordanaar)
Gothric - 15 Human Paladin (Nordanaar)
Markal - 58 Undead Priest (Tel'Abim)

Nurincarinun

Post by Nurincarinun » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:25 am

Imonobor wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm
Does it happen when attacking mobs without mana bars as well?
It happened to me with Theradran Guardian and Theradran Shardling(s), which both have no mana. It makes sense, I guess, that it is thus not connected to the decrease of the mana of an enemy, but rather to the increase of one's own mana, as also Geojak has suggested.

I remember that in a distant past, the Conjured Mana Oranges also had this .. feature, resulting from the way the regeneration was handled differently than with other food & drink consumables.

Xudo
Has liked: 40 times

Post by Xudo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:56 am

You get threat from every emergency power gain: healing/mana potions, self healing, Bloodrage.
Normal mana and energy regeneration don't grant threat.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Nurincarinun

Post by Nurincarinun » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:22 pm

Now I guess we can also try out whether it is connected to effective mana gain or whether the attempted gain of mana suffices, ie I will try the above scenario while making sure my mana is full before the fight and during the first auto attacks from my hunter. Will report later.

(This would also touch the topic of whether this threat mechanic is available to warriors.)

Left will be the question of how much threat is actually generated to compare it to other gearing choices, such as threat by DPS; and as an option to other gear being swappable to more tanky stats if the threat production by means of the Black Grasp of the Destroyer should prove rather high.

None the less, the "AoE threat" feature of this item will prbly be what makes it interesting, if at all.

Akos1896

Post by Akos1896 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:52 pm

Honestly, if development confirms that this is not a bug and no fix is intended, I'd farm this for my tank shaman. Anything which gives at least a bit of aoe threat is a treasure.

Xudo
Has liked: 40 times

Post by Xudo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:28 pm

IIRC, Threat from emergency power gains is similar to healing. Additional threat from 1 rage gain is 10x from 1 mana gain.
Overhealing and gaining above maximum don't generate threat.
Threat from healing and power gain is divided across all mobs in the pack. While it is helpful, it might not be very useful. Like 8 mana gain divided to 2 mobs is 4 per mob. If you fight 4 mobs, it is 2 threat to each.

Situation that rest of the pack coming to hunter happens because pet has 0 threat on other mobs, so any (even very small amount) value will lead hunter to top of threat table
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Akos1896

Post by Akos1896 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:36 pm

Yes, but it might replace the current thorn effect I use (thorium spikes for the same exact goal).
It could allow using a shield enchant for added survivability. Not a big thing but as a shaman every tiny upgrade counts.