Understanding the intention behind the transmog system

Zeran

Understanding the intention behind the transmog system

Post by Zeran » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:14 am

So, the current transmog system works such that, for any item that you can equip, you can make another item in that slot look like it.

What I'd like to know is, when that system was designed, was the intention that the transmogs be used by level 60's ONLY, who don't need to upgrade their gear, either as often or at all?

Because if you do it on a levelling character, then you'd be upgrading gear pretty often. And since the tmogs are item bound instead of slot bound, you would have to keep re-applying it through new fashion coins.

Therefore, from the point of view of a level 60, it makes more sense. But from the point of view of a levelling character, it makes less sense.

Follow up question, if anybody knows: is making a transmog piece affect the item SLOT itself instead of the item a technical engine limitation, or it is possible?
You ever 'av dreams of da Empire of Zul, mon?

Da Zandali di'chuka!

Main Toon's Armoury: Jil'nei

Guild Leader of <Glorious Amani Tribe>

I have alts, too turtle_tongue

Grizb37

Re: Understanding the intention behind the transmog system

Post by Grizb37 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:36 am

I Have many different Tmog sets, if they changed it to slot Tmog then all my sets would look the same, this would be a disaster.

Imonobor
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Imonobor » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:52 am

Grizb37 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:36 am
I Have many different Tmog sets, if they changed it to slot Tmog then all my sets would look the same, this would be a disaster.
They could implement transmog sets that you can swap between for free, once you've spent the fashion tokens to put together and saved it. Similar to what ascension has done with their transmog system.
It would make transmog so much more accessible and worthwhile if it was slot-bound. Currently it is not feasible for leveling characters, and even fresh 60s who expect to swap pieces often.
Nydas - 60 High Elf Mage (Nordanaar)
Farren - 60 Tauren Shaman (Nordanaar)
Gothric - 15 Human Paladin (Nordanaar)
Markal - 58 Undead Priest (Tel'Abim)

Zeran

Post by Zeran » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:14 am

Grizb37 wrote:
Imonobor wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:52 am
Grizb37 wrote:
They could implement transmog sets that you can swap between for free, once you've spent the fashion tokens to put together and saved it. Similar to what ascension has done with their transmog system.
It would make transmog so much more accessible and worthwhile if it was slot-bound. Currently it is not feasible for leveling characters, and even fresh 60s who expect to swap pieces often.
I've never used it, but I remember there being an "outfit" option of some sort in the transmog window? Is this not exactly it? i.e. tmog sets. Just that currently it will be per-item as opposed to per-slot.

And yes, I'd imagine the sets/outfits could be kept separate and the visual item info would be kept within each one.

I'm pretty sure that's how ESO does it, if I remember correctly. Tmog there is slot-bound and you can have different sets of outfits that you can switch between (on top of also having a dye system, etc.)
You ever 'av dreams of da Empire of Zul, mon?

Da Zandali di'chuka!

Main Toon's Armoury: Jil'nei

Guild Leader of <Glorious Amani Tribe>

I have alts, too turtle_tongue