This kind mod counts as a hack?

Dracarusggotham
Has liked: 1 time

This kind mod counts as a hack?

Post by Dracarusggotham » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:29 pm

Hello, I have a question regarding modding.

In this case, MTL Media released its own patch including several custom zones, a High Elf zone, the fully explorable Ruins of Lordaeron, etc. The thing is, someone told me that porting and converting the patch and placing it as a mod can be seen as hacking. Is that correct?
It is not a mod to obtain benefits or anything, it just adds more explorable areas in-game, I wanted to know if it can count as hacking, if so, I will give up on it.

Pepesmite

Re: This kind mod counts as a hack?

Post by Pepesmite » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:36 pm

Dracarusggotham wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:29 pm

In this case, MTL Media released its own patch including several custom zones, a High Elf zone, the fully explorable Ruins of Lordaeron, etc. The thing is, someone told me that porting and converting the patch and placing it as a mod can be seen as hacking. Is that correct?
It is not a mod to obtain benefits or anything, it just adds more explorable areas in-game, I wanted to know if it can count as hacking, if so, I will give up on it.
Greetings! If I understand you correctly, we are talking about MPQ files. If yes, in some cases it can be considered as hacking. It is best to consult with Akalix.

Balake

Post by Balake » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:31 pm

Regardless of the common sense that says "if you install a mod that places an object in the world, then you go on top of this object, then you are breaking the rules by flyhacking"..

I'm pretty sure this is a 3.3.5 mod that won't work in vanilla wow. You can find plenty of tutorials online on how to host your own 3.3.5 server and install these mods on a wotlk client to play in it and explore as much as you like.

Dracarusggotham

Post by Dracarusggotham » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:29 pm

Pepesmite wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:36 pm
Dracarusggotham wrote:

Greetings! If I understand you correctly, we are talking about MPQ files. If yes, in some cases it can be considered as hacking. It is best to consult with Akalix.
Are MPQ Files what modifies some areas like Lordaeron Ruins, making it fully explorable, same as Cataclysm area, or add extra areas like High Elven Village in Arathi Highlands.
Nothing as hacking, flying or cheating.

Bigsmerf

Post by Bigsmerf » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:39 pm

Dracarusggotham wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:29 pm
Pepesmite wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:36 pm
Dracarusggotham wrote:

Are MPQ Files what modifies some areas like Lordaeron Ruins, making it fully explorable, same as Cataclysm area, or add extra areas like High Elven Village in Arathi Highlands.
Nothing as hacking, flying or cheating.
You being able to access spots other players can't sort of falls under the category of cheating, yes. Any elevation, or closed off areas that most people couldn't access, but you having entry to is an unfair advantage and while I understand the intent isn't malicious, this kinda stuff could easily be exploitable, allowing you to hide from PvP encounters or things like that.
Elmhoof - 60 Feral, between tanking/dps (Main)
Anbone 34 Shadow Priest (Planned secondary main)
Manypunchman - 10 Naked Troll Boxer (Hardcore)

I'm back! More or less...

Mcnair

Post by Mcnair » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:41 pm

Good day.
The area mods created by MTL Media are all for Wotlk 3.3.5 as Balake mentioned before, so you should not try to install them in your Turtle folder. But, again as Balake suggested, you can just host your own server where you are free to explore these areas.

Dracarusggotham

Post by Dracarusggotham » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:08 pm

Mcnair wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:41 pm
Good day.
The area mods created by MTL Media are all for Wotlk 3.3.5 as Balake mentioned before, so you should not try to install them in your Turtle folder. But, again as Balake suggested, you can just host your own server where you are free to explore these areas.
So sad, that areas can fill perfectly empty spaces like Ruins of Lordaeron at least, I always wanted that area to be completely explorable, that's why I was trying to convert the mod and post it here for give the game more immersion and for give the players another reason to create an undead.

Others like Blackrock Gates or High Elf Village are good too, as decorative ruins at least.
I will keep trying and if I got the full port I will suggest them to the devs for add them as decorative places.