Orc Mage?

Itorch100
Has liked: 2 times

Orc Mage?

Post by Itorch100 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:34 pm

While I think most of the new race/class additions make sense, and are, at the very least, acceptable, what's the deal with an orc mage?

Personally, and I wager most would agree, orc doesn't go well with a scholar archetype that flings spells at their enemies. And so, I can't help but raise my eyebrows :D Was there any explanation for it, other than that they've learned it from their allies? (which, respectfully, I do think is a lame reasoning, especially given the race's fantasy, alas..)

Turboman

Re: Orc Mage?

Post by Turboman » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:57 pm

Itorch100 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:34 pm
While I think most of the new race/class additions make sense, and are, at the very least, acceptable, what's the deal with an orc mage?

Personally, and I wager most would agree, orc doesn't go well with a scholar archetype that flings spells at their enemies. And so, I can't help but raise my eyebrows :D Was there any explanation for it, other than that they've learned it from their allies? (which, respectfully, I do think is a lame reasoning, especially given the race's fantasy, alas..)
Balance issues i quess, they've made dwarf mages so to compensate they've added wizard orcs for horde. Why orcs? They don't look as ridiculous as academic cows blinking around and casting spells. Just imagine an orc warlock but not evil.

Grizb37

Post by Grizb37 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:32 am

I must admit during playing here for the past year, ive seen like less than 10 level 60 orc mages, and hardly see any leveling.

Springboards

Post by Springboards » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:12 am

must-have due to all the paladins in bgs

undead mage isnt that useful
plus orc mages in hellfire peninsula tbc..there is orc mages in skyrim etc

Volkyte

Post by Volkyte » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:14 am

Lore wise was justified that Girona reappeared and instructed orcs on magic.
On turtle? No idea. Guess they learned the hard way being ex warriors getting incinerated by mages?🤷‍♂️

Jstansberry

Post by Jstansberry » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:27 am

Orc mages have arguably been a thing in warcraft lore for a while - the warcraft magic system is vague and weird so it can be a bit confusing when you start to ask what actually qualifies as a "mage" though. Warlocks are basically just edgy mages. In UBRS, LBRS, and BWL there are orcs that use mage spells, sometimes specifically arcane spells such as arcane missiles.

Forbearance

Post by Forbearance » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:08 pm

It was a thing in Cataclysm, so just ask Blizzard.

Sylveria
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Sylveria » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:50 pm

Forbearance wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:08 pm
It was a thing in Cataclysm, so just ask Blizzard.
TWoW ignores every lore invention after Vanilla.

Deeno

Post by Deeno » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:58 pm

Orc mages are rare, because legend has it that if you lick their face, you turn into a gnome. But due to orcish habits, they lick their own face, and *bang* a new gnome mage has borned. They are doomed. If you see a level 60 orc mage, wish them luck.

Xudo
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Xudo » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:04 pm

Visit LBRS if you have any doubts about orc mages.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Deeno

Post by Deeno » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:09 pm

this is an orc mage, isnt it?

Elisleris

Post by Elisleris » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:01 pm

Sylveria

Post by Sylveria » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:41 pm

Deeno wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:09 pm
this is an orc mage, isnt it?

Did you just assume this Orcs class? turtle_tongue_head

Hyrag

Post by Hyrag » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:05 pm

stun resist works like a charm

potential the best race to be a mage in pvp

Akos1896
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Akos1896 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:31 pm

Itorch100 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:34 pm

I mean as long as gnome warriors exist, I accept almost anything.

Tanasa

Post by Tanasa » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:16 am

Leveled one up into the mid 20's a bit ago and just wanted to confirm for anybody on the fence femorc looks fantastic aesthetically and animation wise if you want to break the mold a bit. Muscle mage will always be cool.

Qualopec

Post by Qualopec » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:20 pm

Orc mages could be former apprentices of Cho'Gall or took the knowledge from ogre mages.

As for trolls - I always liked to imagine their knowledge came from Zandalari, and Darkspears learned it during their exile from tablets and scolls that they preserved.

Rayken

Post by Rayken » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:55 pm

Ogre Magi/Mages have existed since forever. I think they were always two-headed/smart ones created by Gul'dan or whatever, but Orcs should definitely have had mage as well.