TBC & WotLK Abilities in Turtle WoW: Is it Degenerate?

Manletow
Has liked: 5 times

TBC & WotLK Abilities in Turtle WoW: Is it Degenerate?

Post by Manletow » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:27 pm

Is it inherently misguided and degenerate to implement TBC & WotLK Abilities/Talents/Changes/etc into Turtle WoW?

As far as i'm concerned TBC and WoTLK are still 'Classic' WoW. Just different 'flavors'.
Cataclysm is not 'Classic' as the changes it made were too severe/game altering.
Also it was just kinda cringey and bad. sad_turtle_head

Indeed, Turtle WoW is supposed to be "Vanilla" flavored but imo they can/should add *some* abilities if they are absolutely necessary to address severe gameplay concerns.

Think of it as adding "nuts and sprinkles" to our Vanilla cone. turtle_tongue_head

For example, adding 'Shattering Throw' would address the incredibly overpowered nature of Immunity Shields in PVP
whilst simultaneously providing Warrior MUCH NEEDED Utility (it is currently a very "selfish" class that offers little to their fellow PVP teammates)

NOTE: Turtle WoW Devs have already implemented Shamans 'Feral Spirit" into T-WoW which is straight from WoTLK (just shorter duration). This ability was the final capstone of a Talent Tree btw.
(There may be other examples to cite as well)

So they are not entirely allergic to this concept.

What do you guys think: Woke or Broke?
Paladin is broken in PVP.
Frost Mage is broken in PVP/PVE.
Warrior is awful in PVP.
Feral Druid is mediocre in PVP.
Enhancement Shaman is fine. Stop begging for goofy custom abilities.

Whitewolf76239

Re: TBC & WotLK Abilities in Turtle WoW: Is it Degenerate?

Post by Whitewolf76239 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:30 am

I support it, since it would help with faction/class imbalances and give a new learning experience in pvp and BGs.

Burunduk

Post by Burunduk » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:20 am

Shamans have Bloodlust, Earth Shield, Water Shield, Totemic Recall.
These abilities are from TBC.
Trolls shamans have Hex, it's WotLK thing.
Tauren shamans have Spirit Link, it's close to Spirit Link Totem in Cataclysm.
There is also strange ability Calm Elements, i have no idea where it's from.

As we see, TBC abilities are ok as a part of your gameplay, but abilities from later expansion are racials or class flavor spells.

Oomentaloo

Post by Oomentaloo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:35 am

I think it's totally reasonable to look for ideas from TBC and WotLK.
From the devs point of view, they have to consider many camps in the player base and try to not go overboard. Paladin changes are very polarizing in the community for example.

I would like also to look back to Warcraft, I love the idea of bringing the Blademaster as maybe a spec into the game. But I know that would happening :D

Luqj

Post by Luqj » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:45 am

100% support, but how to balance and keep the class characteristics is a challenge

Burunduk

Post by Burunduk » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:04 am

WoW went in wrong direction in WotLK, so we will never see abilities like Lava Burst or talents like Titan's Grip on Turtle.

Chudman123

Post by Chudman123 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:03 am

They should definitely not add Titans grip but since they have buffed Shadow priest, all druids and all pallys they should probably help out rogues and prot warr.

Druids and pallys already countered rogues and they are buffed here when rogue is arguably worse than most vanilla servers.

Prot war prot pally and shields in general are very underused and could use some buffs imo
-Panfusion (60 ele/resto shammy)

Xudo
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Xudo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:43 am

Titans grip is not WotLK ability. It is Diablo 2 ability. Though it should not be added anyway, because fury warriors are not the ones who need a buff to their damage.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Mac

Post by Mac » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:03 am

If it is a good change then make it regardless of what a future expansion did or didn’t do. A lot of it is stuff from WC3 anyways.

Ataika
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Ataika » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:06 am

Shattering throw is a good idea for warriors cause horde warriors are having problems to fight buffed paladins.

Imonobor

Post by Imonobor » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:33 am

I think it's okay to look at TBC / Wotlk for ideas, as long as they are implemented in a Vanilla-friendly way. There are a lot of abilities, spells and talents that add great utility, QoL or flavor to the classes, with the ones I miss most dearly being the Mage's Spellsteal and Invisibility, which are actually spells from Warcraft 2 and 3. I wouldn't mind having them in my arsenal, but balance should also be considered, since mages are already pretty powerful. Maybe add them to the suboptimal arcane tree, or as racials, in the same vein how priests and shamans have racial spells?
Nydas - 60 High Elf Mage (Nordanaar)
Farren - 60 Tauren Shaman (Nordanaar)
Gothric - 23 Human Paladin (Nordanaar)
Markal - 58 Undead Priest (Tel'Abim)

Zvyrhol
Has liked: 17 times

Post by Zvyrhol » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:38 am

It's already in the game. Maybe not all abilities but buffs from TBC specs were added to Turtle. For example shadow priest became mana-battery in TBC, here too. Protection paladin had big mana issues in vanilla, this was changed in TBC and now in Turtle. If I remember correctly hunter also received similar abilities to those from TBC. Burning Crusade balance is generally good inspiration for Turtle devs because this expansion didn't revolutionize balance of vanilla but refined it.
The devil is in the detail.
viewtopic.php?t=13520
viewtopic.php?t=14041

Ataika

Post by Ataika » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:48 am

Zvyrhol wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:38 am
Burning Crusade balance is generally good inspiration for Turtle devs because this expansion didn't revolutionize balance of vanilla but refined it.
They literally added TBC spell to hunters and made them even more powerful in full t3

Glipo

Post by Glipo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:59 am

Manletow wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:27 pm

NOTE: Turtle WoW Devs have already implemented Shamans 'Feral Spirit" into T-WoW which is straight from WoTLK (just shorter duration). This ability was the final capstone of a Talent Tree btw.
(There may be other examples to cite as well)

fully disagree with this argument Turttle wow consider feral spirit they add as Warcraft 3 ability not as WoTLK one
and if u played WoTLK u will see how big diference it is between them
im not about to be toxic im about dont need to feed own hopes with wrong arguments
real thing they add from future expansion is a fearl ap on weapons
so may be we gonna see some more stuff who knows

Harkus

Post by Harkus » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:27 pm

If you want to play TBC or WotLK then go play those expansions... I am very happy that Turtle has just taken abilities from WC3 instead of future Wow

Manletow

Post by Manletow » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:32 am

Harkus wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:27 pm
If you want to play TBC or WotLK then go play those expansions... I am very happy that Turtle has just taken abilities from WC3 instead of future Wow
Glipo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:59 am
fully disagree with this argument Turttle wow consider feral spirit they add as Warcraft 3 ability not as WoTLK one
and if u played WoTLK u will see how big diference it is between them
im not about to be toxic im about dont need to feed own hopes with wrong arguments
real thing they add from future expansion is a fearl ap on weapons
T-WoW has undeniably added stuff from TBC (Such as Earth/Water Shield)
but yeah I have not played Warcraft 3 i was not aware that 'Feral Spirit" came from that.

Hex also came from Warcraft 3 (then later WoTLK) but it works somewhat differently in T-WoW than it did in either of those games.

Yeah I guess you got me here -- I can't really think of much of anything (definitively) taken from WoTLK except as you said: Feral attack power stat
Paladin is broken in PVP.
Frost Mage is broken in PVP/PVE.
Warrior is awful in PVP.
Feral Druid is mediocre in PVP.
Enhancement Shaman is fine. Stop begging for goofy custom abilities.

Korval1

Post by Korval1 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:04 pm

Why are you asking for something you know the devs won't and can't do?

Eversongwoods

Post by Eversongwoods » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:52 pm

I dont want any abilities that were added in wotlk. TBC has some stuff i wouldn't mind though, warlocks should get incinerate for sure.

Ishilu

Post by Ishilu » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:34 pm

Burunduk wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:04 am
WoW went in wrong direction in WotLK...
Yes. But the problem were not the spells but rather how the game was tuned in general.
I like the philosophy of making every spec "viable" in tbc (I really hate that word) and I did like that gameplay was spiced up with additional abilities.

However, if a group of 5 random internet strangers above the age of 12 can expect to effortlessly clear a totally linear (heroic) dungeon without communication or knowledge of the dungeon location in the game world and solely by AE pumping (hate that word, too) trash groups without any tactical decision making or CC before performing a well documented boss choreography and being "rewarded" for a full run after less than 30 minutes then we're looking at shitty content, now matter the pretty graphics. And that was wotlk for me. And gearscore, of course.

As long as the turtle devs concentrate on making good content and tune new abilities so that they enhance gameplay and not only player power, I guess i's ok.

Korval1

Post by Korval1 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:34 pm

Ishilu wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:34 pm
Burunduk wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:04 am
WoW went in wrong direction in WotLK...
Yes. But the problem were not the spells but rather how the game was tuned in general.
I like the philosophy of making every spec "viable" in tbc (I really hate that word) and I did like that gameplay was spiced up with additional abilities.

However, if a group of 5 random internet strangers above the age of 12 can expect to effortlessly clear a totally linear (heroic) dungeon without communication or knowledge of the dungeon location in the game world and solely by AE pumping (hate that word, too) trash groups without any tactical decision making or CC before performing a well documented boss choreography and being "rewarded" for a full run after less than 30 minutes then we're looking at shitty content, now matter the pretty graphics. And that was wotlk for me. And gearscore, of course.

As long as the turtle devs concentrate on making good content and tune new abilities so that they enhance gameplay and not only player power, I guess i's ok.
The fact that most of the raid content created by Turtle requires attunement, unlike modern WoW raids, reflects their deeper understanding of the vanilla WoW era.

Bigsmerf

Post by Bigsmerf » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:01 pm

I'd like to see boomkins get their little tree buddies from TBC. Maybe some tweaks to it like mana cost/CD and duration could be added but honestly who would care? The spec is already very weak to begin with. At least with raw damage potential. OOH, maybe give them some sort of buff tied to the spell? That way your party gets a small boost just like you do. Balance druids and druids in general are pretty support heavy so this would be cool.
Elmhoof - 60 Feral, between tanking/dps (Main)
Anbone 34 Shadow Priest (Planned secondary main)
Manypunchman - 10 Naked Troll Boxer (Hardcore)

I'm back! More or less...

Akos1896
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Akos1896 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:17 pm

I mostly agree with a slight asterisk.
If we add new abilities for flavor/balance reasons and they buff a raid's overall damage/viability then enemies should receive slight buffs, too to keep up player vs environment balance.

Steakhouse

Post by Steakhouse » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:08 pm

Harkus wrote:
Trueshot is just Steady Shot, hombre

Hyrag
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Hyrag » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:21 pm

add abilities from past expansions is wrong by the turtle wow design direction.

BUT
new mechanic or Skills that make the game better for everyone like 'Shattering Throw' (a way to deal with immunity shields).
talents that make "offmeta" builds viable in raids Example: A melee Expose weakness for melee hunter.
is good for the game.

Bittermens

Post by Bittermens » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:04 pm

Harkus wrote:
which abilities from warcraft3?
Only in your head

Bittermens

Post by Bittermens » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:04 pm

Hyrag wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:21 pm

BUT
new mechanic or Skills that make the game better for everyone like 'Shattering Throw' (a way to deal with immunity shields).
talents that make "offmeta" builds viable in raids Example: A melee Expose weakness for melee hunter.
is good for the game.
Go troll somewhere else

Nablatidis

Post by Nablatidis » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:41 pm

Judging from some replies in this thread, I fear that some people wouldn't be able to handle much more in their ability toolkit and certainly not more than a 2-3 button rotation that classes have in vanilla. It's a dad game now after all turtle_tongue_head

Adding abilities from WC3 isn't a good idea as it was never designed to be balanced between the classes.

I'm personally for adding a bit of flair to some of the classes that are lacking it. Just buffing some classes adds imbalance to either pvp or pve. Rogues for example is a class that's hard to add flair to without giving them too much, as it's already a popular class. But I still i feel the different builds are just three very similiar feel to them - what they could use is some utility or some AOE. Shadowstep, cloak of shadows or Fan of knives. Stuff that was always a favorite to use.
Resto druids are just boring with two heals.

I'm for this idea simply because I don't think a two button rotation was a make or break thing for vanilla. It was the open world, the danger in it, the massive scale and to some extent its rawness. But I can't help to miss some abilities I had in retail.

If it's classic+ I hope people are for the idea and devs have added some abilities already. So it might be possible in small steps.

Hyrag
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Hyrag » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:33 am

Bittermens wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:04 pm
Hyrag wrote:

BUT
is good for the game.
Go troll somewhere else
No.
btw im not trolling
i really think that warrior needs Shattering throw as a unique utillity in pvp.

Bittermens

Post by Bittermens » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:30 pm

Hyrag wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:33 am
Bittermens wrote:
Hyrag wrote:

BUT
is good for the game.
Go troll somewhere else
No.
btw im not trolling
As someone who plays paladin? yes

Tendies

Post by Tendies » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:25 am

No, if something from TBC or Wrath is good it's good.

Atreidon

Post by Atreidon » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:32 am

TBC and especially wrath had very different design philosophies from classic.

In classic all classes have some innate weakness their class struggles with.
Warrior has no form of life recovery
Paladin is exclusively melee without good gapclosers
Hunter has his deadzone & melee weakness
Shaman has major mana issues
Druid can fill every role but has to choose pre fight due to gearing problems
Rogue doesnt have good aoe
Mages are flimsy
Warlocks have threat issues
Priests need a group to really shine

So some people suggest fan of knives be added to give rogue an AoE. Rogues whole class weakness is that he struggles against multiple opponents. I've also heard similar complaints from shadowpriests who want aoe. Not realizing shadowpriest is nummerically providing the most amount of output of any spec in a raid if you can make use of all damage, healing and mana he provides.

In classic people are meant to have class specific weaknesses. A DPS is not just a dps in classic. A Mage offers AoE dmg while a warrior can function as secondary tank. In wrath that was completely eroded and the game was different for it. Not better or worse, just a different game. And while i do think some abilities like the buffed vampiric embrace or intervene from TBC slot in nicely in Turtle

There are others i would absolutely hate to see. Paladins porno wings, The aforementioned Fan of Knives, Mind Sear, Victory Rush, Icelance, and many more do not belong in classic.

Then there are spells that do solve problems that should be remedied but do it in an un-classic way.
shamanistic rage & dualwield for enhancers were such solutions. dualwield and its overpowered supporting cast of talents did solve the dps issue of enhancer.... by completely changing the playstile of the class to something radically different from classic.

While shamanistic rage solved the mana problems of the spec. In tbc it is fine for a dps spec of a healer to have virtually infinite mana. Because the gear was much more potent and throwing heals as a dps was much less effective in TBC than it will ever be in classic.
In this last case i'd rather see the offensive manacost of shaman addressed than give him a button to regenerate a whole bunch of mana.

Zulnam
Has liked: 7 times

Post by Zulnam » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:47 am

Shattering Throw in twow wouldn't make sense. Only one faction has paladins. Even with the new mercenary system where members of faction A can join faction B if the numbers are low, you will realistically fight more paladins in BGs as horde than alliance.

I think adding new abilities from TBC and WotLK can be an option, but it needs so much serious attention for each ability that it might not be worth it in the end. Even as a primarily pve game, abilities can affect balance (why take X class in a raid when Y class does everything you want and better)

But for example Shamans got the Recall Totem ability from TBC, and that is an obvious QoL ability that makes them easier to play. So it has been done.

Thrallodar2

Post by Thrallodar2 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:38 am

Shattering throw will also impact mages ice blocks and they are in both factions.
I think it would be good for warrior to get this ability as it will add some utility for them in PVP.

Wilczan

Post by Wilczan » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:42 am

Blazing speed for fire mages was nice.

Charanko
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Charanko » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:51 pm

Hyrag wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:33 am
Bittermens wrote:
Hyrag wrote:

BUT
is good for the game.
Go troll somewhere else
No.
btw im not trolling
Absolutley needs to happen👍
Orky
Overlord of Orgrimmar ; Sulfuron Champion