Tauren need a new class.

Bluecow89

Tauren need a new class.

Post by Bluecow89 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:43 am

None of the Copypasta here i am serious.

First of all, if humans & trolls can have 7 classes then i do think it does make some sense to give tauren a fifth.

Tauren mage:
You might say "hey that's stupid! Tauren don't use arcane magic!" Well have you heard of the grimtotem? Im not saying that the grimtotem are allied with the horde tauren, but it is plausible that some of the grimtotem defected. That is also probably why you can look like a grimtotem when making a tauren.

Tauren Priest.
Sunwalker priests, lorewise make plenty of sense. Yes their "healers" are traditionally shamans but the trolls' healers are priests yet they still got shamans because it makes sense, the orcs taught them shamanism. Let us not forget that undead priests exist and besides from shadow priests that doesn't make any sense lorewise but they are still in the game because: they are cool!

Tauren warlocks:
This one might be a bit of a stretch but it would be cool! Also Fel magic came from shamanism so i do think in some capactiy it would be a good idea!

Tauren Rogues:
Never, even i am not stupid enough for this one. Although they would be fun

Bigsmerf

Re: Tauren need a new class.

Post by Bigsmerf » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:59 am

Mage: Tauren have no connection to the titans, which is where arcane comes from if I remember. No.
Priest: Also probably a no from me. Sunwalkers were a lore retcon in cataclysm, not vanilla WoW or WC3 lore. You'd have to add sunwalker paladins too and then we'd be stuck with dwarf shamans which were also from a lore retcon. Oh, and they're faction specific which I would prefer to be kept since it's part of the vanilla spirit.
Warlocks: You're giving the most evil class to one of the most spiritual, peaceful, and morally stable races. It's a HUGE stretch. Big, fat, capital NO.
Rogues: These already exist. They're just too sneaky for you to spot any :D
Elmhoof - 60 Feral, between tanking/dps (Main)
Anbone 34 Shadow Priest (Planned secondary main)
Manypunchman - 10 Naked Troll Boxer (Hardcore)

I'm back! More or less...

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:01 am

I am totally for Tauren priests. It's not even lore-breaking because of An'she.
But in case of Tauren mages i don't feel Grimtotem is necessary. RPG sources had tauren runemasters that could be used as unique magical tradition of this race.

Xudo
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Xudo » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:03 am

From all those classes I think tauren rogues are most viable.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:05 am

Bigsmerf wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:59 am
Mage: Tauren have no connection to the titans, which is where arcane comes from if I remember. No.
Elves have no connection to the titans too. But they are one of the greatest magicians. Ogre magi are also a thing (and we don't spoke about retail origin of ogres here).
Bigsmerf wrote:
Priest: Also probably a no from me. Sunwalkers were a lore retcon in cataclysm, not vanilla WoW or WC3 lore. You'd have to add sunwalker paladins too and then we'd be stuck with dwarf shamans which were also from a lore retcon. Oh, and they're faction specific which I would prefer to be kept since it's part of the vanilla spirit.
Nobody is talking about paladins. Only priests (and night elves are a great example of a race that have priests but have no paladins). Also lore about An'she and Mu'sha comes from Vanilla so it's not a retcon.

Geojak
Has liked: 30 times

Post by Geojak » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:16 am

Tauren rogue of any. Just make sure to add a quests that explain how these Tauren have RLY soft hooves like a cat pawn

Karrados

Post by Karrados » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:18 am

Not only that but there is a precedent in the case of Night elves. They are not worshipping the Holy Light, they are worshipping Elune.

Undead at the very least have a distant connection to the Holy Light from their previous life but there is no such case to be made for Night Elves. So I don't see why Priests of An'she would be so lorebreaking if the entire damn Class identity of Night Elf Priests is "We worship Elune, not the light, fuck the light."

Harkus

Post by Harkus » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:51 am

Tauren priests worshipping An'she would be fine. No Sunwalker crap from Cataclysm though pls

Gladeshadow

Post by Gladeshadow » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:56 am

Geojak wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:16 am
Tauren rogue of any. Just make sure to add a quests that explain how these Tauren have RLY soft hooves like a cat pawn
Not that I want tauren rogues, but the idea they'd be loud because of hooves is just wrong. Hooved animals are generally quiet when they move. Deer have quiet footsteps. Moose too. Same for cows. For some reason, people who've never been around such animals get the impression they stomp around when that couldn't be more wrong.

Xudo

Post by Xudo » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:09 am

Tauren who choose rogue path could be generally smaller than others in their kin. Now every tauren has same height, but it is only a technical limitation. Size of examples can differ a lot in the same speciment.

Rogues could also use tinyhoof balm as a part of their "initiation".
Have fun not only at 60.

Geojak
Has liked: 30 times

Post by Geojak » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:20 am

Gladeshadow wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:56 am
Geojak wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:16 am
Not that I want tauren rogues, but the idea they'd be loud because of hooves is just wrong. Hooved animals are generally quiet when they move. Deer have quiet footsteps. Moose too. Same for cows. For some reason, people who've never been around such animals get the impression they stomp around when that couldn't be more wrong.
Its because horses are quite loud at that's mostly what people see

Xudo

Post by Xudo » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:27 am

Geojak wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:20 am
Most people don't see horses a lot. Most horses they see are from movies. And in the movies some sounds are often exxagerated. For example swords IRL are drown from their sheaths silently. In movies you always hear that sound of metal.

I can say that hoof sound is loud when they have horseshoes and ride on asphalt or any other hard surface. If you ride on sand or grass, then you won't be that loud.
Have fun not only at 60.

Dannyp92

Post by Dannyp92 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:42 am

“Priests guide the spiritual destiny of their people. Through their unique insight into the mind, they’re able to shape an individual’s beliefs, whether to inspire or terrify, soothe or dominate, heal or harm. Just as the heart can hold both darkness and light, priests wield powers of creation and devastation by channeling the potent forces underlying faith.”

Based on the in-game class description given above, In theory all races could have priests, if the race has a spirituality or faith of some kind. Therefore it can make sense for Tauren to have the it too, but I was never a fan of the Sunwalker stuff that Blizzard shoehorned in in Cataclysm to justify Paladins. If Turtle WoW is going to add Priest to more races, I'd like to see unique spell effects for the races that believe in something else than the Light, to show that these races' spiritualites are their own.

Tauren Mage is maybe OK I guess, but Warlock does not make sense, and I don't think Rogue does either. The Grimtotem we see outside of Mulgore are opposed to the Tauren allied with the Horde, so it makes sense that they have different propensities, cultures and beliefs which gives rise to arcane students and bandits (which we don't see stealthed btw) etc. I personally don't think Mage fits the image of Horde Tauren, but that's just me though.

Turboman

Post by Turboman » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:57 am

Xudo wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:27 am
Geojak wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:20 am
Most people don't see horses a lot. Most horses they see are from movies. And in the movies some sounds are often exxagerated. For example swords IRL are drown from their sheaths silently. In movies you always hear that sound of metal.

I can say that hoof sound is loud when they have horseshoes and ride on asphalt or any other hard surface. If you ride on sand or grass, then you won't be that loud.
Thats a lie, horses are heavy beasts, even when they walk on a soft soil with grass you can literally hear *thump* *thump* *thump* .

Xudo

Post by Xudo » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:02 am

You can't eliminate sound entirely.
Though it is possible to add penalty for stealth like -5 levels. Gnome warriors don't get any penalty. So why taurens should?
Have fun not only at 60.

Turboman

Post by Turboman » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:11 am

Xudo wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:02 am
You can't eliminate sound entirely.
Though it is possible to add penalty for stealth like -5 levels. Gnome warriors don't get any penalty. So why taurens should?
Lots of class combos don't make any sense common sense wise and lore wise, lets not add even more bullshit to this please, dwarven and orcish mages was already a stupid idea.

Bluecow89

Post by Bluecow89 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:54 pm

Bigsmerf wrote:
Warlocks: You're giving the most evil class to one of the most spiritual, peaceful, and morally stable races. It's a HUGE stretch. Big, fat, capital NO.
Rogues: These already exist. They're just too sneaky for you to spot any :D
I agree the sunwalker thing is rather annoying and was an unwise decision of blizzard (as are most of them) but we don't have, to have sunwalkers for it to work out. They could worship Anshe or something. I don't know what that would look like ingame my point is just that it definitely is possible and i think it would be a fun idea! turtle_in_love_head

Kribbelfritz

Post by Kribbelfritz » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:20 pm

Listen guys if Bigfoot can hide in AMerica then so can Tauren Rogues in Azeroth! angry_turtle turtle_tongue

Xudo

Post by Xudo » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:11 pm

Turboman wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:57 am
Xudo wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:27 am

Thats a lie, horses are heavy beasts, even when they walk on a soft soil with grass you can literally hear *thump* *thump* *thump* .
I double checked it.
Literally today morning I had horseback riding training. The horse was trotting on the sand and it was completely silent.
Have fun not only at 60.

Bob022

Post by Bob022 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:27 pm

Xudo wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:09 am
Now every tauren has same height, but it is only a technical limitation.
Strictly speaking, it's not even an insurmountable limitation: Abilities exist in-game that change a character's size. If someone wanted, he could design a race/class that had such an ability passively applied and unremovable from creation.

Akos1896
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Akos1896 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:54 pm

As a side-topic, if any of these classes were to be made by TWOW, what do you think the tauren class-specific racial ability would be?
Like what spell would be tauren priest only?

Bigsmerf

Post by Bigsmerf » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:01 pm

Akos1896 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:54 pm
As a side-topic, if any of these classes were to be made by TWOW, what do you think the tauren class-specific racial ability would be?
Like what spell would be tauren priest only?
Soothing moo: Comforts an ally with a bovine hymn, reducing the length of fear effects by 2 seconds, and increasing the chance for them to resist fear effects. Also heals a small amount of health over 10 seconds.

Kefke
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Kefke » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:19 pm

I want exactly one Tauren Rogue in the game. An invisible NPC who patrols the entirety of Mulgore, and if you manage to find them, they bribe you to not tell anyone.

Bigsmerf

Post by Bigsmerf » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:21 pm

Kefke wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:19 pm
I want exactly one Tauren Rogue in the game. An invisible NPC who patrols the entirety of Mulgore, and if you manage to find them, they bribe you to not tell anyone.
Maybe even give them custom lines like the "You ever see a tauren stalk a python?" /joke emote.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:12 pm

Of all the classes a Tauren cannot be that they could be, Priest is the only remotely feasible one to try to finagle in.

Akos1896

Post by Akos1896 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:26 pm

Besides priest (which I'd agree to) I really want Tauren rogues even if it's wrong at so many levels.
It would be hilarious watching those 3 meter high 500 kg minotaur-like beings trying to sneak around. It's a vanilla+ server with a bunch of custom content, just bs a backstory of the famous tauren ninjas unseen to the naked eye. Thousands of people would create a new char just to have a tauren rogue.
For priest ability I'd go towards spirit link from shamans. Let's say the tauren priest get's a 200 percent stamina and armor buff for five sec and links his soul to a target. 80 percent of the damage dealt to the target during these five seconds is redirected to the priest.

Galindae

Post by Galindae » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:36 pm

Maby new class what fit to Taurens and give horde what they lack. Like in combat u increase GRP stats.
Protectors of earth mother.

Charanko

Post by Charanko » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:13 pm

They rly dont :))
Orky
Overlord of Orgrimmar ; Sulfuron Champion

Bellybutton

Post by Bellybutton » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:55 pm

Tauren Priests are believable/justifiable in the same way that Troll Priests and Night Elf Priests are.
Troll Priests and Night Elf Priests canonically do not follow the Holy Light, their Light abilities are just a game mechanic.

Without getting into Sunwalker garbage, a Tauren priest that draws their power from An'she/the Sun is completely believable/acceptable.
Zamba the Unruly
"Zamba be sensing the winds of change in da air. Can you be feeling it too, mon?"

Kefke
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Kefke » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:56 pm

Memes about Tauren Rogues aside, the issue with the Tauren ends up being that Blizzard kind of wrote themselves into a corner. Taurens have the fewest class options because the culture designed for them is basically just a Native American stereotype, without much nuance. They don't do Arcane or Holy, only Nature. They're always nice, puregood, peace-loving hippies, so they can't be Warlocks either. Add in "too big to be rogues", and there's just nothing left for them to be.

But the fact remains that they have the fewest class options of any race in the game. Not even tied for fewest, they just straight-up have less than anyone else. So you either suspend disbelief and let them be Rogues, or you bend/break Blizz lore to let them be another type of caster. My choice is changing lore. Turtle WoW already deviates from what Blizz wrote where it feels appropriate, and as I said, I think that Taurens are just not interesting enough in their lore, and come off as a little too pure and innocent, especially compared to what the other Horde races get up to.

That's why I say to give them Warlocks. In the first place, they could use a bit of a dark side to give them more nuance. In the second, it offers a chance to explore how allying with the Horde has influenced their culture. Perhaps there's disagreement among Tauren society about whether Fel should be regarded as a part of nature or not, on whether Warlocks are inherently evil or not, and even on whether they should stick to their traditions, or embrace new ideas and the benefits those ideas can bring. Maybe some younger Tauren see their elders as "stuck in the past", holding everyone back by refusing to see the need for Progress™. You could even throw in Mage as well, and say that these dissident elements have decided to take the traditional spiritualism of their people, and apply it to all forms of magic, doing as many other races have done as they embrace these new gifts that close contact with other races has shown them the benefits of.

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:48 pm

No, no Warlocks. Even the Grimtotems who are NOT your asserted "pure, good, innocent" types wouldn't turn to the fel. We have Revantusk Trolls, sure, and you could make an argument for having Grimtotem Taurens, but that still doesn't really avail them new class options.

The lore isn't being bent or broken, Turtle is simply utilizing existing lore and incorporating it into facets of the game that were not explored. No lore rules are being outright broken for "headcanon".

Reploidrocsa

Post by Reploidrocsa » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:18 am

After some research from previous tauren rogue posts, i've came to the conclusion that tauren's hooves are more like goat hooves, able to be loud or silent depending on the terrain and very good at dealing with elevations.
And i'm sure tauren would be very agile even for their size, i refuse to believe most of their towns were built in high ground with the help of druids, i'm sure they're pretty good at climbing and parkour

Jolikmc

Post by Jolikmc » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:29 am

I'm curious why no one's mentioned Tauren Spiritwalkers. They're basically Tauren Priests and they're Metzen-canon.

But, yes. Please, implement Tauren Rogues. On top of the novelty of it all… there's basically no "lore" reason why they couldn't exist. In fact, all classes other than Tauren can be Rogues, already. And don't tell me the Tauren are too "pure" to resort to skullduggery. There are many Tauren tribes and many clans who have what equates to "thugs", so why the heck not have them playable?
Not currently playing. Just skulking and snarking~

Redmagejoe

Post by Redmagejoe » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:34 am

Jolikmc wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:29 am
Grimtotems could, ethically speaking, be Rogues, yes. I'm still not sure about the logistics with their mass, and all...

Jolikmc

Post by Jolikmc » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:40 am

Actually, yeah. It's just basic physics that the bigger something is, the slower it moves. Seeing a Tauren use moves like Hack and Slash, or trying to explain Evasion away when they're twelve feet tall and half as wide, might be pushing the suspension of disbelief a little too hard unless it can be explained away with… magic?

Nah. "The spirits of your ancestors allow your to move like the wind and strike with the force of lightning" is, maybe, a little trite and "god mode-y".
Not currently playing. Just skulking and snarking~