Remove "Requires (PROFESSION) to use" restrictions!

Balake

Re: Remove "Requires (PROFESSION) to use" restrictions!

Post by Balake » Fri May 05, 2023 11:27 am

Rat2156 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:21 am
If you genuinely think you're "forced" to take engineering just to get a small edge in a casual MMORPG, you have genuine issues and should try to get help
This has never been strictly about engineering. Every game must clear up its mind, either the professions are economical or they all have gameplay benefits, there's no inbetween.

Rat2156

Post by Rat2156 » Fri May 05, 2023 11:29 am

Balake wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:27 am
Rat2156 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:21 am
If you genuinely think you're "forced" to take engineering just to get a small edge in a casual MMORPG, you have genuine issues and should try to get help
This has never been strictly about engineering. Every game must clear up its mind, either the professions are economical or they all have gameplay benefits, there's no inbetween.
Is there some kind of bounty for posting bad takes on this forum? That would at least explain your existence 🤔

Balake

Post by Balake » Fri May 05, 2023 11:33 am

"Yeah honestly the crowd pummeler meta for feral has always been some truly degenerate stuff, regardless of which version we're talking about.
A lv 30 weapon being the single viable weapon for a class is a design failure, and so is a class unable to compete without a lv 30 weapon"
Rat2156. Do you agree or do you not agree that making the reusable crowd pummeler an engineering only item is very degenerate game design failure?

Rat2156

Post by Rat2156 » Fri May 05, 2023 11:56 am

Balake wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:33 am
"Yeah honestly the crowd pummeler meta for feral has always been some truly degenerate stuff, regardless of which version we're talking about.
A lv 30 weapon being the single viable weapon for a class is a design failure, and so is a class unable to compete without a lv 30 weapon"
Rat2156. Do you agree or do you not agree that making the reusable crowd pummeler an engineering only item is very degenerate game design failure?
Your reading comprehension seems very limited. I very clearly made the point that either version of the crowd pummeler existing in a way that makes it required for feral in the first place were design failures

Balake

Post by Balake » Fri May 05, 2023 11:58 am

Rat2156 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:56 am
Your reading comprehension seems very limited. I very clearly made the point that either version of the crowd pummeler existing in a way that makes it required for feral in the first place were design failures
That's not my point, the reusable crowd pummeler is practically a level 60 weapon, so in a way they fixed the fact that a level 30 item is bis for feral druids, by implementing a better level 60 version BUT they restricted the level 60 version to engineers. So is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Chronoslicer

Post by Chronoslicer » Fri May 05, 2023 12:57 pm

Mavbyte wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:53 am
Balake wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:58 am
Because people will still be forced to have engineering as one of those professions, that won't fix anything.
Who's forcing anyone? Is there some dude with a gun pointed at your head who's sayin': "TAKE ENGINEERING!" or something like that?
If you're MinMaxing, there's pretty much always just "One Way" in almost every game out there, cause people will find ways of drenching every little bit of power out of anything, the devs may have never considered during development.
No one is literally forcing you to take engineering. But the natural desire to perform well, to win, and in a more basic sense be good and what you are doing, would compel almost anyone to take engineering, once it's benefits are revealed. What I am proposing is not to nerf or get rid of engineering, but to offer the players another choice on how you obtain the munitions that engineering offers.

You can buy bis enchants from an enchanter, insane pots from an alchemist, disarm immunity from a blacksmith, etc. But you cannot buy grenades or other one time use explosives from an engineer? That just seems silly to me, from a gameplay sense and an rp sense. Though, the rp of a holy night elf priest crafting weapons of mass destruction is admittedly very amusing.

Things like the gnomish death ray or rocket boots can be engineering exclusive, or better yet, if it's feasible:

Make it so that your engineering skill determines whether the use of the item (gnomish death ray, rocket boots, etc) will have a greater chance of success or failure. Those who didn't learn engineering will have a big chance of the gnomish death ray zapping themselves, and one that mastered engineering, while still having a chance of a misfire, will have a bigger chance of success.

Rat2156

Post by Rat2156 » Fri May 05, 2023 1:11 pm

Chronoslicer wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 12:57 pm
Make it so that your engineering skill determines whether the use of the item (gnomish death ray, rocket boots, etc) will have a greater chance of success or failure. Those who didn't learn engineering will have a big chance of the gnomish death ray zapping themselves, and one that mastered engineering, while still having a chance of a misfire, will have a bigger chance of success.
That however could be an interesting compromise smiling_turtle

Xudo
Has liked: 47 times

Post by Xudo » Fri May 05, 2023 5:11 pm

Crowd Pummeler design which makes all weapons obsolete is not that important reason to remove requirements from ALL engineering items.
Chronoslicer wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 12:57 pm
Those who didn't learn engineering will have a big chance of the gnomish death ray zapping themselves, and one that mastered engineering, while still having a chance of a misfire, will have a bigger chance of success.
This will effectively be the same as it now. Minmaxer people will have to level engineering to maximize chance of gadged to succeed.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Xerilin
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Xerilin » Sat May 06, 2023 4:35 am

I know that you are talking mainly about engi, but the title and your posts make it sound like you actually want to temove all of them. This is not well thought through. Removing all profession requirements from all recipes seems very extreme to me. It would basically devalue professions. Every guild (not even!) would need just one tailor and one engi etc. each. The value of low level mats would plummet, because people won't have to level up professions at all. Professions giving you an edge is a something some people actually like about vanilla wow. Extreme solutions aren't usually great. A sligt nerf to engi? Sure, maybe. Might piss off people who already leveled engi, though. It's never that easy. Everything has consequences.

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Tue May 09, 2023 4:08 pm

Xerlin, professions are already devauled. No profession really has inherent, exclusive player power except for engi. You can read more about this here viewtopic.php?t=5619

Professions gave edges in tbc and wotlk, and it sucked. Blizzard tried and failed to balance it.
Vanilla is the one time where it was just a few handfull of items in engineering that did this. The fix is to take 2 steps backwards into no profession being "good". Not 100 steps forward into trying to force people into professions that match their class or maybe even don't.
Zaas - 60 High Elf Warrior
Saere - 60 Night Elf Priest
Splendra - 59 Inferno Mode Warlock
I play a few other classes on my friends' accounts.
Slowly leveling a Resto Dryad and a dorf pally with my buddy.