New Profession: Inscription

Ashstache

New Profession: Inscription

Post by Ashstache » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:16 pm

Many or all of the folks here played Wrath of the Lich King. You probably have varying feelings about the profession that was added. The focal point was the Glyph system, but there were quite a few other things you could do with Inscription.

Adding the Glyph system does not seem tenable, and also runs counter to the cash shop items that currently exist. I won't even bother arguing for it. While I would love to be able to implement cosmetic changes (and perhaps you could also argue for the gameplay-affecting glyphs as a method of testing prospective changes), I value my time more than writing up that proposal. This had a fun little research metagame to learning new glyphs, too.

Inscription crucially worked off of Herbalism items (Milling herbs) to make Pigments, which you then turned into Inks. There's a ton of room here to elevate the need and importance of existing game items and professions. Recipes to use Enchanting materials seem obvious, too. As of today, Alchemy costs are somewhat brutal all around, so I don't know if increasing the demand for herbs would be a positive.

Inscription also added a number of other interesting and useful items that helped each of leveling, PVP, and endgame:
  • Darkmoon Faire cards, including four new lower level decks that could be turned in for great level-appropriate gear (and also got players more involved in the Darkmoon Faire)
  • Enchantment vellums, which held varying levels of armor or weapon enchantments, that could be supplied to enchanters and in turn, once enchanted, be sold directly to players or placed on the auction house.
  • Off-hand items to fill in itemization gaps on the road to 60, and some had fun little effects like breathing fire on an enemy or producing a small personal heal.
  • Scrolls of Recall, which were consumable hearthstones (and perhaps could be alternatively used to attune to guild bases or summoning stones)
  • Certificates of Ownership, which let hunters rename their pets (could add warlocks to this, or add a similar, demon-themed item)
  • Stat scrolls! Scroll of Agility/Strength/Intellect/Spirit, all the way up to the highest tier. These are super handy when leveling, soloing, and even when doing dungeons. They're not going to get much use if any in raids, but having a way to actually make these is nice - though IIRC, they did have a couple that were raidwide utilities, which would be wonderful for when you are missing a specific class. You could invent new ones, too!
  • Shoulder Inscriptions were the Inscriptionist's personal reward for training in their profession. They could only be applied to your own shoulder item and used up the enchantment slot. I remember these being high-tier, but I don't remember if they were BiS; it provokes thought when considering AD and ZG rep grinds for shoulder enchants.

Later versions of the game expanded Inscription to include:
  • Crafting weapons; staves, specifically, which don't have any method of creation in the game until that point; this alone seems pretty useful
  • Origami pets, fun little things
  • Forged documents, leading to a quest to rip someone off for a bunch of gold (though this could be adapted for a variety of uses)
  • Similar items to the forged documents that led to quests, such as paintings or gravestone inscriptions
  • Some other weird stuff that doesn't appear to be remotely applicable to vanilla

Of the most interest to me, personally, is something that appears to have been removed in the beta for Wrath:
Decipher is an ability that was never implemented. It was presumably tied to inscriptionists' ability to open encrypted items and may have worked similarly to how lockpicking works on locked items.
This is a truly appealing concept, especially given how vanilla endgame revolves around finding quests and ultimate class abilities through tomes randomly found throughout the world. An item that would presumably be used with this can be seen in the center of the below image:

The applications of Decipher seem endless and obvious to me; interacting with objects deep inside raids or hard-to-reach places in the world, and scholarly places such as the Scarlet Monastery Library, Scholomance, perhaps even the libraries of enemy capital cities or settlements could provide the spark for a lot of adventures.

In summary, even when completely disregarding Glyphs, Inscription has a lot of concepts to offer that both would fit into Turtle's vanilla plus concept, and enhance our experiences. There's a wide variety of items that would breathe more life into the game while increasing player interdependence on each other, and deepening the feeling of Azeroth as a more fully realized world. I acknowledge, of course, that this is dozens, if not a couple hundred database entries and changes, implementing items and skills, and would be a serious undertaking. Itemization would be a big deal, too, as would scripting quest turn-ins for new DMF decks and other prospective quests.

Kefke

Re: New Profession: Inscription

Post by Kefke » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:22 pm

I don't necessarily think this is a bad idea, actually. Having a skill for crafting staves and scrolls in particular sounds nice. And, while a bit later in the game's lifespan, I do admit that the idea of implementing content around an abandoned skill fits well into the idea of Turtle fleshing out the things that Blizzard forgot.

On the other hand, it would be a lot of work, and a lot of content. Especially to make Deciphering rewarding. That has the risk of making Inscription too heavily weighted. If whole endgame quest chains are locked behind a profession, then either the rewards would need to not be too major, or else the skill would risk becoming a necessity for endgame progression. Lockpicking isn't even that major, and Blizzard still made certain to provide an alternative method to it through Mages having the ability to magically unlock things. Though...perhaps Inscription could offer one way to decode things, and Decipher could be a skill available to Priests, who are often archivists and lorekeepers?

Ashstache

Post by Ashstache » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:42 pm

Kefke wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:22 pm
Though...perhaps Inscription could offer one way to decode things, and Decipher could be a skill available to Priests, who are often archivists and lorekeepers?
That would be fitting, I think; fluff it as a path of enlightenment sort of thing.

As far as "endgame quest gating" you're correct, absolutely. I wouldn't hinge being able to pick those up and do those on actually having Inscription, I'm thinking more in terms of rogue lockpicking giving you useful stuff

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:25 pm

Honestly I would like a profession that just makes scrolls… just scrolls.

Make it simple and don’t add a bunch of bells and whistles

Kefke

Post by Kefke » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:36 pm

Whalemilk wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:25 pm
Honestly I would like a profession that just makes scrolls… just scrolls.

Make it simple and don’t add a bunch of bells and whistles
I get the sentiment there, but if it just made scrolls that would be a bit too much overlap with Alchemy, especially if it's already using some of the same materials. There needs to be enough of a difference to make them each their own thing, like how Blacksmithing and Engineering have their overlap, but ultimately are distinct enough to justify being separate professions.

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:41 pm

Kefke wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:36 pm
I get the sentiment there, but if it just made scrolls that would be a bit too much overlap with Alchemy, especially if it's already using some of the same materials. There needs to be enough of a difference to make them each their own thing, like how Blacksmithing and Engineering have their overlap, but ultimately are distinct enough to justify being separate professions.
Yeah but for people that don’t have alchemy it would be helpful.

Just have parchment be a drop off wizards and shit.
Have ink as a material that can be bought off the inscription vendor.

Kefke

Post by Kefke » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:46 pm

Well, at that point it depends entirely on if it's implemented as a primary or secondary profession.

Maesus

Post by Maesus » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:11 pm

100% support the addition of this. Scrolls are such a fun part of this game and they often go overlooked and TWoW could include a bunch of unique ones, aside from the usual, perhaps some temporary Chance on Hit effects or a some summoning scrolls, scrolls that could store spells in them (such as, a spent scroll could cast a rank1 fireball at your target), etc.

Enchanting vellums would also be greaty appreciated, enchanters wouldn't need to type out everything they have to offer in chat, just put their stuff on AH like everybody else.

Lots of stuff could be done with a Inscription and with so many people asking for new races and classes for the next patch, a new profession might be enough

Ashstache

Post by Ashstache » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:11 pm

Whalemilk wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:41 pm
Kefke wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:36 pm
Yeah but for people that don’t have alchemy it would be helpful.

Just have parchment be a drop off wizards and shit.
Have ink as a material that can be bought off the inscription vendor.
At that point why don't you just get Alchemy? I feel like those scrolls would be easily added to Enchanting if nothing else, anyway.

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:19 pm

Ashstache wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:11 pm
At that point why don't you just get Alchemy? I feel like those scrolls would be easily added to Enchanting if nothing else, anyway.
I might be wrong, but I believe scrolls and potions stack.

Ashstache

Post by Ashstache » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:43 pm

Maesus wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:11 pm
100% support the addition of this. Scrolls are such a fun part of this game and they often go overlooked and TWoW could include a bunch of unique ones, aside from the usual, perhaps some temporary Chance on Hit effects or a some summoning scrolls, scrolls that could store spells in them (such as, a spent scroll could cast a rank1 fireball at your target), etc.

Enchanting vellums would also be greaty appreciated, enchanters wouldn't need to type out everything they have to offer in chat, just put their stuff on AH like everybody else.

Lots of stuff could be done with a Inscription and with so many people asking for new races and classes for the next patch, a new profession might be enough
Imagine scrolls with class spells on them? Blank spell scrolls that you trade to a class, and they can put one of their spells on it and sell it. Literally selling buffs!

Massie2

Post by Massie2 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:24 am

This was recently added in the 16.4 patch (I randomly noticed the icon for "Blank Parchment" was changed, and found out its database had new entries.).

Kefke

Post by Kefke » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:30 am

Well now...ain't that interesting?

Noce

Post by Noce » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:30 am

100% agree for inscription. i was about to ask for it my self. even if it's just for scrolls like some1 sed. scrolls are very usefull. also those shoulders enchats can be added, some off hand (dps,heal,tank), and why not add some buffs and/or aura effects. like we used to have in warcraft games and such: endurance aura, vampiric aura, degen aura, unholy aura, command aura, war drums aura [make it as synergy with lw. - lw makes drums and insc do the rest or smtn like that]

also, consider this, add few more things like scroll that can do cc [charm, banish, silence] with channeling cd and duration; ressurect [mbe even in cb], animate dead [smtn like dk in wotlk]; some Tome of.. [Experience, Aura, Retraining..]; scrolls of Healing/Regeneration [mana, hp], Protection [resistance, dmg reduction..]; Scroll of Town Portal

all this would be awesome and all existed in warcraft games.

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:58 pm

Nobody should be worried about Inscription only for scrolls, being underwhelming. Blacksmithing is already unfathomably underwhelming and a horrendous profession to choose. Nothing new can be worse than BS
Zaas - 60 High Elf Warrior
Saere - 60 Night Elf Priest
Splendra - 59 Inferno Mode Warlock
I play a few other classes on my friends' accounts.
Slowly leveling a Resto Dryad and a dorf pally with my buddy.

Ashstache

Post by Ashstache » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:06 am

Massie2 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:24 am

This was recently added in the 16.4 patch (I randomly noticed the icon for "Blank Parchment" was changed, and found out its database had new entries.).
I'd hazard a guess that these are additions to Enchanting, which seems apropos

Mekunekud

Post by Mekunekud » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:48 am

Craftable scrolls would make it worth it for alot of classes alone. Warriors who level already take alchemy/herb JUST for the personal buffs so you'll definitely get people doing it with scrolls since there's enough decent scrolls out there to facilitate levelling comfort.
Scrolls, craftable relics and maybe craftable leg/head/shoulder enchants ala the Burning Steppes enchanter NPC would be a good place to go. There's room for things like the ZG enchants to be made non-class specific so Paladins can pick up the Warrior enchant or Shamans pick up the Paladin head enchant etc.
Outside the relics, theres plenty of value in just the current NPC enchants and scrolls.

Kefke

Post by Kefke » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:25 am

I found myself thinking more about the Encryption aspect, and about the sorts of things that could be encrypted.
  • Higher level scrolls could be encrypted when found in world, rather than crafted by a player.
  • Spellbooks - Books with a cast time that use spells.
  • Codex - Books that can apply a special benefit to a character. Like with enchants, using a new codex would replace the old one.
  • Some quests have letters that have to be taken to someone to decode/translate. Skills for decoding could allow for these stages to be skipped.
  • Magic doors - Remember in The Lord of the Rings, when they need to figure out how to open the doors to Moria? Like that. (Could technically apply to other interactable objects as well.)
  • Bonus effects on equipment - Okay, maybe a little crazy, but I was thinking about how in other games, you have unidentified equipment. Just like you have Bear, Boar, etc... You could have equipment with a "Runed" modifier (possibly even on top of other modifiers) that gives additional effects, but only after the hidden effect has been deciphered.
So, yeah, I've come around on this. It feels like there's actually a lot of potential to make that aspect interesting and rewarding. Make it so that decoding documents with inscription expends ink and paper, and Priests can get a Deciphering skill that requires them to carry an "Archivist's Tome", working essentially like Lockpicking. Heck, maybe throw in a "Comprehend Language" spell for Mages if we really want to make it accessible. At that point, I think there'd be no problem with having a lot of things that use it.

...and of course, there's plenty of use for the writing side for sure. I still agree with things there.

Noce

Post by Noce » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:57 am

here is another point of view. it has several directions as well. what is inscription? its also smtn called runecraft of some sort, right? try to do smtn like in diablo?
mbe INSC can make some runes to enchant things. or make runes and BS can make sockets?
mbe BS take gray item and reforge it into smtn better? mbe in synergy with INS?
mbe just give us JC? it would be easier i guess to copy paste things.
i know all this is so mixed within proffesions. im just thinking out loud. but it somehow could work.

Reploidrocsa

Post by Reploidrocsa » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:48 am

I'll throw some ideas regarding the profesion:

Uses a combination of parchment, ink, some herbs and enchanting materials for most of the recipes

Allows to craft all known standard buff scrolls

Can craft enchanting vellums

Class exclusive recipes can be found around the world for basic one time use spells with 1min CD.
Some examples: only mages can craft scroll of fireball, which will be always a weaker version than the original and either use them or give it to another player.
Similar with fireball, shamans can learn to craft scroll of lightning bolt with similar limitations.
For paladins, scroll of exorcism, warlocks shadowbolt, hunters arcane shot, druids wrath, priests smite...
Maybe exclude warrior/rogue since they don't use spells
Situational spell scrolls with the same rules above applying: detect invisibility, amplify/dampen magic, levitate, eagle eye, water breathing...

BoP scrolls with more powerful effects and long cooldowns:
Scroll of mending casts a 3sec heal on the target, 15min CD
Scroll of the beast summons 2 furgbolgs to protect you for 1 min, 15min cd
Scroll of town portal teleports you to the closest friendly inn (or just a HS) 60min CD

Tarot reading, every 2 days can craft a random darkmoon card, aces excluded

Remmo87

Post by Remmo87 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:17 am

+1
Morgruk - Orc Shaman
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You think you do, but perhaps maybe 100% you don't not do.
Or... some of you might actually perhaps most surely do actually anyway, still.

Ashstache

Post by Ashstache » Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:31 pm

bump to get some fresh eyes

Xudo

Post by Xudo » Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:05 pm

Fresh eyes tell me, that if devs will add more consumables, then there will be tryhards who feel themselves obligated to farm them too for raid.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Imonobor

Post by Imonobor » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:02 am

Very interesting ideas, I'm all for it!
While we're at it, might as well discuss Jewelcrafting, no profession currently allows crafting of rings, necklaces, trinkets, offhand frills, staves, and general spellcasting knicknacks.
Nydas - 60 High Elf Mage (Nordanaar)
Farren - 60 Tauren Shaman (Nordanaar)
Gothric - 15 Human Paladin (Nordanaar)
Markal - 58 Undead Priest (Tel'Abim)

Ashstache

Post by Ashstache » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:44 am

Imonobor wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:02 am
While we're at it, might as well discuss Jewelcrafting, no profession currently allows crafting of rings, necklaces, trinkets, offhand frills, staves, and general spellcasting knicknacks.
It's an interesting concept but would require much deeper consideration insofar as itemization and what to do about socketing

Imonobor

Post by Imonobor » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:38 am

Ashstache wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:44 am
Imonobor wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:02 am
It's an interesting concept but would require much deeper consideration insofar as itemization and what to do about socketing
Of course, adding a new profession requires a lot more thought and consideration than I have given it, it was just an idea off the top of my head.

Imo, socketing was a lackluster system when it was introduced in TBC, while it did give some freedom of customization on the stats of an item, I don't think it was (or is) a well thought and fleshed out system. It ended up as just another expense for raiders to dish out for the bis sockets and spam them all over their gear regardless of socket color. Meta gems were a bit more interesting, but not powerful enough to be gamechangers.
So I don't think we should copy the socketing system, but perhaps create some other unique feature of the profession.

Anyway, I think further discussion about it deserves its own topic, I'm sorry for hijacking the topic and steering it in a different direction. I'll make a new thread when I have the time to flesh out my ideas.

EDIT: I made a new thread for it here, if you want to continue the discussion: viewtopic.php?p=78214#p78214

Please continue the thread topic on Inscryption satisfied_turtle
Last edited by Imonobor on Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nydas - 60 High Elf Mage (Nordanaar)
Farren - 60 Tauren Shaman (Nordanaar)
Gothric - 15 Human Paladin (Nordanaar)
Markal - 58 Undead Priest (Tel'Abim)

Borefficz

Post by Borefficz » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:43 pm

I was very much in favour of enchanting vellums until I picked up enchanting myself. Yes, having to do direct trades for enchanting can be bothersome, but I like that over the idea of having to scan 20 different items to see if someone undercut me by 1 copper...