Tone down AV quest weapons to lvl 51 stats to promote dungeon loot

Massie2

Tone down AV quest weapons to lvl 51 stats to promote dungeon loot

Post by Massie2 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:19 pm

This may be a hot take because Ice Barbed Spear is such a staple for melees in vanilla, but as a Warrior main myself I find that the rewards from the easy lvl 51 Alterac Valley quest kind of spoil all weapon drops from lvl 51 to 60.
Because you can essentially get a level 58 weapon with insane stats at lvl 51, it completely invalidates the dozens of weapons you can find inside dungeons, from elite quests, and crafted weapons for that level range.

Your weapon is arguably the most important item for a melee, which is why weapon drops during leveling always feel really hype and rewarding. But considering lvl 52-60 is the range where people start farming their pre-bis and run endgame dungeons, it's really sad that 90% of the weapons aren't even worth looking at because they're simply too low level and as such have poor weapon damage compared to IBS.

So my debatable suggestion is to lower the itemlevel of the rewards to that of a lvl 51 item, considering that is the minimum level requirement for the quest, thus bringing a lot of dungeon loot back on the table.

It's a little heartbreaking seeing 3 arms warriors in your party with an IBS in their hand, all rolling greed on a weapon they can't even wear yet because they're too low level, simply because IBS is stronger anyway.

Ugoboom

Re: Tone down AV quest weapons to lvl 51 stats to promote dungeon loot

Post by Ugoboom » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:07 pm

Same with bloodseeker, it's close to raid prebis, and having it invalidate lv 51-59 gearing is so dumb.

+1

Also at 60, you can get doomulus prime for free for a single zg and aq20 run. Completely invalidates any 2h you may have gotten before this.
Zaas - 60 High Elf Warrior
Saere - 60 Night Elf Priest
Splendra - 59 Inferno Mode Warlock
I play a few other classes on my friends' accounts.
Slowly leveling a Resto Dryad and a dorf pally with my buddy.

Aeliren

Post by Aeliren » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:33 pm

Alternate solution: raise the level requirement on the AV quest to somewhere between 57-59 instead of 51. That is the approximate level range where you'll really be starting to get your pre-raid BiS gear from dungeons, so it would fit in well enough in my opinion.

The items remain good as they are, but you don't need to feel the pressure to queue for AV and go get it immediately upon hitting level 51, allowing you to get different weapons from dungeons and quests as you level through your early-to-mid 50s.
Characters:
Coilspring - 60 gnome hunter
Megwynn - 60 human rogue

Suggestions:
Pyrewood Village Suggestions
Hunter Epic Ammo Pouch Suggestion

Gantulga

Post by Gantulga » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:01 pm

Those weapons were probably intended for level 60 originally.

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:31 am

Please don't nerf, remove or raise the level requirement of these weapons. Just buff the loot from dungeon

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:48 pm

Jongyi wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:31 am
Please don't nerf, remove or raise the level requirement of these weapons. Just buff the loot from dungeon
this is true. making the Kill enemy leader quest, a lv 59 quest would be the better fix

Massie2

Post by Massie2 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:54 pm

Aeliren wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:33 pm
Alternate solution: raise the level requirement on the AV quest to somewhere between 57-59 instead of 51. That is the approximate level range where you'll really be starting to get your pre-raid BiS gear from dungeons, so it would fit in well enough in my opinion.

The items remain good as they are, but you don't need to feel the pressure to queue for AV and go get it immediately upon hitting level 51, allowing you to get different weapons from dungeons and quests as you level through your early-to-mid 50s.
Yeah I agree with this more, it's more organic to do it this way, instead of "taking away" power from existing copies of the weapons.

Mac

Post by Mac » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:52 am

Sul'thraze the Lasher definitely deserves a buff. For how difficult it is to obtain, it's ridiculous it's replaced in a single level by an item that requires basically no work.

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:07 pm

Mac wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:52 am
Sul'thraze the Lasher definitely deserves a buff. For how difficult it is to obtain, it's ridiculous it's replaced in a single level by an item that requires basically no work.
on blizzlike servers its difficult to obtain. 2% droprate.
that's why turtle upped it to 25% droprate on each. sulthrase is ez pz to get and actually fits the gear prog now. You'll replace it with a good BRD ilvl slower 2h