Hold a vote on HC graves

Bnana

Hold a vote on HC graves

Post by Bnana » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:08 pm

As much as I liked the idea when it was first presented, I quickly realised that I do not want these graves all over the world. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking they look rather ugly and out of place most of the time.

With how dragons were replaced to be more lore friendly and immersive, I have a hard time seeing how it's reasonable that mobs would bury their enemies all over their camps with big gravestones, or how anyone would be buried in the middle of the street just because they died there, and some of them even hover in the air.

It really takes away from the game's aesthethics and I think we should at least hold a vote over keeping them around or not. Or at the very least give people an option to disable them.

Dodge

Re: Hold a vote on HC graves

Post by Dodge » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:26 pm

Hmm the only realistic solution that comes to my mind BUT imho is not as fun as current one:
Spawn grave on the nearest graveyard, on which the character WOULD respawn if it won't be Hardcore.

Personally, I like the current solution as it reasembles blood spills from Dark Souls :p

Would be even better if the graves also give us info about char level, killer mob etc.
Maelstrom, Night Elf Druid
Namito, High Elf Mage
Adashi, Night Elf Hunter
dead_turtle_head

Bnana

Post by Bnana » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:11 pm

I figured it might be like blood spills in Dark Souls, in comparison the gravestones stick out from the ground and look much more out of place than a bit of spilled blood that hasn't been cleaned up or washed away yet. Changing it to blood spills could work, but as it is the gravestones are clunky and stick out too much, and they can block clicks.

Aeliren

Post by Aeliren » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:19 pm

At the very least, the graves should be made a bit smaller. It seems that there have been attempts to grief other players by having HC characters die on top of flight masters to cover them up, which on these screenshots would have resulted in interference with people trying to fly out if it had been a little bit more on target.

Characters:
Coilspring - 60 gnome hunter
Megwynn - 60 human rogue

Suggestions:
Pyrewood Village Suggestions
Hunter Epic Ammo Pouch Suggestion

Whalemilk

Post by Whalemilk » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:36 pm

Dodge wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:26 pm
Hmm the only realistic solution that comes to my mind BUT imho is not as fun as current one:
Spawn grave on the nearest graveyard, on which the character WOULD respawn if it won't be Hardcore.

Personally, I like the current solution as it reasembles blood spills from Dark Souls :p

Would be even better if the graves also give us info about char level, killer mob etc.
Love this idea. Assuming this server is going to take off… there will be too many grave stones. I would say that the TurtleWoW team should make the existing grave sites larger and remove any current tombstones there. Reset all the tombstones in the world and have them allocated to the rez sites. Eventually those will fill up and at that point have the tombstones cycle.

Or have a giant statue that lists all the names that have perished.

Imonobor

Post by Imonobor » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:37 pm

Yeah agree they could be made a bit smaller. Maybe use a smaller cross model in the place of this chunky tombstone, or just scale it down a notch.
Nydas - 60 High Elf Mage (Nordanaar)
Farren - 60 Tauren Shaman (Nordanaar)
Gothric - 15 Human Paladin (Nordanaar)
Markal - 58 Undead Priest (Tel'Abim)

Bnana

Post by Bnana » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:49 pm

Smaller crosses still wouldn't fix how out of place it looks in a lot of locations. Blood puddles like in Dark Souls as suggested above would make more sense as a mark of where someone has died, and the lack of verticality would clash less both visually and in terms of getting in the way of clicks.

Ghola

Post by Ghola » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:02 pm

Totally agreed, love the idea of replacing gravestones with blood spatters and moving the gravestones to the graveyards, maybe they could last different lengths depending on level, should help to make it less cramped

Ghola

Post by Ghola » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:03 pm

Plus this way if a hardcore dies in a dungeon their gravestone will be at the dungeons graveyard

Gnomoerectus

Post by Gnomoerectus » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:55 pm

Honestly simply increasing the level required to leave a gravestone to 20 or even 30 would greatly reduce the amount you find around the world to a more realistic level.
The increase in time investment would also stop people from intentionally getting themselves killed in a city to leave a joke gravestone.
I'd say that this + having smaller wooden crosses as previously suggested would be enough to fix the issue.

Bnana

Post by Bnana » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:38 pm

Like mentioned above it changing it to crosses and reducing the amount of them still wouldn't fix how out of place it looks in most spots. It wouldn't fix the actual problem at its core, just lessen it.

Striderbrah

Post by Striderbrah » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:27 am

Bnana wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:08 pm
It really takes away from the game's aesthethics.
They should get rid of the lame smiling face cloud mounts and pets miles before this then.

Akalix

Post by Akalix » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:15 am

We have changes being implemented, they should be included after this weekly reset. These changes include requiring level 10 for a grave to spawn, and implementing a scaling system for higher level graves to last longer and low level graves to disappear faster.
Public Relations / Community Manager / Head of Recruitment

Looking to join Turtle? Need media information? Contact me!

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:55 pm

Could also make graves right ckliable to destroy em. Like the barrels in brd tavern.
If grieving with the becomes an issue

Malcontent

Post by Malcontent » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:11 pm

Just to add my 2 cents,
I think the gravestones were a neat idea that needs to get axed.

I think a 1 hour or so gravemarker could be a good compromise, but I really dont like seeing tombstones piled up in every questing area. Its just silly in execution, to say nothing of the potential for griefing or immersion breaking. My personal preference would be to scrap them or make an instanced graveyard for them.

Bnana

Post by Bnana » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:28 pm

Agreed, just reducing their duration is not enough. At least give us the option to disable them client side if you won't consider getting rid of the feature.

Lothradis

Post by Lothradis » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:55 pm

Maybe have gravestone for level 59 HC permanent?

Akalix

Post by Akalix » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:58 pm

The changes are being implemented tonight. Please be patient and hold your judgements until then.

Mac

Post by Mac » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:12 am

Akalix wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:15 am
We have changes being implemented, they should be included after this weekly reset. These changes include requiring level 10 for a grave to spawn, and implementing a scaling system for higher level graves to last longer and low level graves to disappear faster.
Good changes. Kind of surprised this wasn’t how they were implemented in the first place.

Raukodor

Post by Raukodor » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:13 am

Groves should be temporary. Or only stay from a level

There are a lot of level 1 tombs disturbing

I even saw some with very racist words or various tombs close each other that create a very racist phrase if read all..

O think only tombs from level 20 should stay to avoid those behavior
Khanzo. Blademaster and Explorer

Akalix

Post by Akalix » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:06 am

Raukodor wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:13 am
Groves should be temporary. Or only stay from a level

There are a lot of level 1 tombs disturbing

I even saw some with very racist words or various tombs close each other that create a very racist phrase if read all..

O think only tombs from level 20 should stay to avoid those behavior
The player(s) abusing graves for crude messages have been punished :)

The changes have been implemented, so there won't be level 1 tombs anymore.

B3tabob

Post by B3tabob » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:31 am

To give another opinion/suggestion:

Could gravestones be replaces with just dead bodies? It makes much more thematical sense that you go in a cave and see a corpse rather than a gravestone. It could have some more information when hovering, if needed.

If not, I agree with the idea of spawning gravestones at spirit healers. A statue in a location commemorating fallen heroes is a great idea as well and can be easily scaled as there are no space limitations in a book type text for a statue. Every zone or the most popular ones could have a statue in a thematic location.

On a related note, I have not seen skeleton piles around popular dangerous questing areas as on other servers, is this intentional? It was always fun coming to a seemingly normal spot and seeing lots of skeletons lying around. It's literally storytelling without words and would make so much sense for a server like this.

Cheers

Raukodor

Post by Raukodor » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:58 pm

I like the idea of skeletons lyng in floor in dangeorus zones

Could be possible stay corpses in the world but not in cities? So those trolls dont affect cities
Khanzo. Blademaster and Explorer

Bnana

Post by Bnana » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:46 pm

While the changes to the duration and level limits of the gravestones reduced the amount of them it still looks out of place in almost every spot they're in. I'm still vying for a non gravestone solution, full removal or not.

Skeletons, corpses, bloodstains, all that has been suggested would be more fitting to see as remnants of fallen players around the world than gravestones some tribe of trolls for whatever reason saw fit to place around their camp to commemorate those who attacked them. Thematically it'd be better with heads on spikes for some mobs and a pile of bones for others but having one solution for all like a body or a bloodstain is better.