Add Out-of-Combat Movement Speed Bonuses to Roads

Mr. Bigglesworth

Add Out-of-Combat Movement Speed Bonuses to Roads

Post by Mr. Bigglesworth » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:46 pm

Just an idea. I think it would be nice if you gained, like, a 20% movement speed bonus while running on roads. If you enter combat, the bonus goes away until it's over. On mounts it could be 10% instead.
signature signature signature signature signature signature signature signature signature signature signature signature

Ingameacc12345

Re: Add Out-of-Combat Movement Speed Bonuses to Roads

Post by Ingameacc12345 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:43 pm

I'm pretty sure that the game has no way of knowing if you are on a road or not so I don't think that's possible without a ridiculous amount of effort.

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:52 pm

Did you get this idea from Heroscape or is this just a coincidence?

https://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/ ... _Rules.PDF

"However, if your figure’s entire move consists of road spaces, including the starting space, you may add an additional 3 spaces to your figure’s move. The 3 additional spaces must also be on road spaces."

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:03 pm

Ingameacc12345 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:43 pm
I'm pretty sure that the game has no way of knowing if you are on a road or not so I don't think that's possible without a ridiculous amount of effort.
The game already recognizes what terrain you're on because it changes the sound effect of your footsteps to match your environment; if you're running in shallow water you hear splashes, snow you hear crunching, and road you hear pounding on stone

Chuxter

Post by Chuxter » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:54 pm

If its something small like 10% this would be an interesting feature

Merikkinon

Post by Merikkinon » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:41 pm

The concept of road vs clear vs whatever movement bonus/penalty has its roots in old wargaming. I think in a sense it would be good. But one of the benefits already for road movement is less interaction with mobs. So in a sense, that is a big bonus, esp for when we are near levels

Geojak
Has liked: 14 times

Post by Geojak » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:35 am

I feel like this is unnecessary change just for the sake of it.

Mac

Post by Mac » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:26 am

That would be a neat feature.

Mrkrissatan

Post by Mrkrissatan » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:24 pm

Cool idea

Allwynd01
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Allwynd01 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:16 pm

Kanto123 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:52 pm
Did you get this idea from Heroscape or is this just a coincidence?

https://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/ ... _Rules.PDF

"However, if your figure’s entire move consists of road spaces, including the starting space, you may add an additional 3 spaces to your figure’s move. The 3 additional spaces must also be on road spaces."
New World had something like this implemented, from what I hear, after players suggested it, but I don't think it serves any purpose in WoW, because there are already Flight Paths and mounts. People even get a free mount. This request to me sounds like an alternative version of "Add flying mounts" and I'm opposed to that, because flying mounts are one of the major things that killed WoW and its expansion content - people got mounts as soon as they stepped into Outland and that made travelling on land completely pointless, it killed immersion and roleplay. Even if you would be anti-flying mounts and you find a group for a dungeon and they are waiting for you at the entrance and you can just fly in a straight line from point A to point B in 5 minutes, you decide to use a ground mount and take 20 minutes making everyone else waiting for you frustrated and it just ruins everything, because even by opposing the idea of flying mounts, you're handicapping yourself and others involved with you in the process.

Simply put, the travel speeds in WoW are fine, people are just too affected by newer-dumbed down SPORPGs (Single Player Online RPGs) posing as MMORPGs where everything is handed to the player on a platter, they don't have to work for anything and there is no difficulty, challenge or punishment in the game for making mistakes, because those still get rewarded. I think what Turtle WoW is trying to recreate is to expand the world of Azeroth through the Vanilla ideology where not everything is easy and players have to work for it. It's that simple.

I don't see what value having faster out-of-combat movement speed or different terrain types will add to the game. If anything, walking on roads should be the normal speed and off-road should be about 20-30% lower speed. As for out-of-combat speed - if you look at the character, they are already running quite fast, if you run that fast everywhere, at all times in the real world, you will be exhausted after 15 minutes unless you're a person who runs for a hobby or an athlete, I know, because I run for a hobby and when you're out of shape, the speed at which characters in WoW run is already unrealistically fast, anything beyond that is Fun Server content.