[Sweeping Strikes]

Steyr

[Sweeping Strikes]

Post by Steyr » Tue May 25, 2021 6:42 pm

Could someone please explain this to me? Why does sweeping strikes ability deal that much damage (not only to me, but I hardly ever managed to capture a log of someone else getting hit by this), while the initial attack never exceeds 1k? Can it be that attacks made with the ability ignore target armor or something?

I would be grateful is someone with access to code could explain why it works as it does.

Pfwg

Re: [Sweeping Strikes]

Post by Pfwg » Thu May 27, 2021 6:35 am

The cleave does the same damage as the first hit, which if it crits, means the cleave can crit for 4x. I think what you're seeing is sweeping strikes not noting that it has crit.

Not sure if that's vanilla behaviour or not, but it's been like that since launch here.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of Gifted."

Steyr

Post by Steyr » Fri May 28, 2021 11:43 am

Thank you for your reply.

What you probably missed is that in 7 out of 8 cases screenshotted, the initial target was crit as well, and not once that critical damage exceeded 1k. At the same time cleave deals 2-3 times more damage to additional target. Does the crit multiplier get applied twice or something?

Also, in the one case screenshotted when initial attack didn't crit cleave damage is still 2,5 times bigger than the damage dealt to initial target.

Also, quoting from https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/wiki ... ng_Strikes (even though I know that many developers consider wowwiki.com unreliable, but where else can you get a proper description of vanilla spells nowadays?)
-Requires Melee Weapon Equipped.
-Damage dealt from a Sweeping Strike will never crit.
-Sweeping Strikes will not cause [Execute] to strike a nearby opponent unless the nearby opponent has less than 20% health (does not consume a charge of Sweeping Strikes either).
-If you use a special attack like [Slam] or [Mortal Strike] on an opponent, it will strike the nearest opponent if you have Sweeping Strikes up. In the case of Mortal Strike, though, only the damage is dealt; the second mob will not get the debuff from the attack.
-Sweeping Strikes doesn't always work; if you don't see the damage above the second mob's head, chances are the enemies aren't positioned correctly. Try to move around so that they're close together and standing side-by-side to get the effect of the ability.
There is a line in patchnotes on same wowwiki though:
World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Patch 2.1.0 (22-May-2007): This ability will no longer be modified erroneously on additional targets by percent modifiers to your damage.
If that is what the issue is, then is it a vanilla bug that has been carefully reporduced here?
Would be great to know.

Pfwg

Post by Pfwg » Fri May 28, 2021 9:54 pm

I'm not even certain about what I said being correct. Anecdotally, when playing my warrior I've seen these 3-4x hits with sweeping strikes especially when using cleave.

When they happen, the numbers on my screen are bigger and yellow, like when overpower crits. I'm inferring my thoughts from that.

With regards to if that is intended behaviour or even a correct presumption, it's beyond me to say.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of Gifted."

Steyr

Post by Steyr » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:35 pm

Any reply from staff on this one?

Fizzeek

Post by Fizzeek » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:47 am

/bump

I'm curious about this as well, those are some stellar SS numbers!