Turtle WoW Database Tooltips

Ltanailov
Has liked: 3 times

Turtle WoW Database Tooltips

Post by Ltanailov » Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:26 am

Hi everyone!

I'd like to suggest making a public script for tooltips like WoWHead's.
This could help people writing character guides, class guides, etc.

Is this possible without overloading the database?

Xudo
Has liked: 51 times

Re: Turtle WoW Database Tooltips

Post by Xudo » Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:50 am

Ltanailov wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:26 am
Is this possible without overloading the database?
Database is protected by cloudflare. Requests for tooltips are pretty straightforward (unlike search queries) and are probably cached in CF. So if you send request for tooltip, you don't interact with database directly.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Ltanailov

Post by Ltanailov » Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:20 pm

Database is protected by cloudflare.
I haven't worked with CloudFlare. So we won't be able to get a response from the DB or from a hypothetical CF cache on a third party anyway?

Or did you mean we wouldn't be able to get the data ourselves using web scraping? I wouldn't want to resort to such a method if the devs have plans to provide access to tooltips "API".

Xanwow

Post by Xanwow » Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:24 am

Ltanailov wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:20 pm
Database is protected by cloudflare.
I haven't worked with CloudFlare. So we won't be able to get a response from the DB or from a hypothetical CF cache on a third party anyway?

Or did you mean we wouldn't be able to get the data ourselves using web scraping? I wouldn't want to resort to such a method if the devs have plans to provide access to tooltips "API".
Yeah cloudflare would likely get in the way of any attempt to recreate this using the web db. I looked over the javascript and the devs would have to set up an API to get thumbnails and json data from the DB.

The wowhead tooltip stuff doesnt seem to be open source, but it could be modified to support it with the Twow database.

I like the functionality, and it would be cool to have these types of tooltips in patch notes and forum posts, but its likely too little of a benefit for the busy devs to work on.

Ltanailov

Post by Ltanailov » Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:17 am

Xanwow wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:24 am
I like the functionality, and it would be cool to have these types of tooltips in patch notes and forum posts, but its likely too little of a benefit for the busy devs to work on.
The Turtle WoW database is based on AoWoW (open source), which in turn has built-in functionality to allow third parties to include hints on their sites.

Developers probably won't have to develop this functionality from scratch. Unfortunately, it may need some serious tweaking due to the fact that the version expected by AoWoW is 3.3.5 (WotLK) and the fact that Turtle WoW uses CloudFlare.

I'd be very happy if any of the developers can comment on this.

Xanwow

Post by Xanwow » Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:51 pm

Ltanailov wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:17 am
Xanwow wrote:
The Turtle WoW database is based on AoWoW (open source), which in turn has built-in functionality to allow third parties to include hints on their sites.

Developers probably won't have to develop this functionality from scratch. Unfortunately, it may need some serious tweaking due to the fact that the version expected by AoWoW is 3.3.5 (WotLK) and the fact that Turtle WoW uses CloudFlare.

I'd be very happy if any of the developers can comment on this.
Nice Find! I poked around and this should work. It looks like the TWOW database does support this functionality out of the box!

You can see it in action when you search an item in the DB and hover over the item icon (e.g. https://database.turtle-wow.org/?search=oil+of+im) and the API response is the same as used by the script. (Cloudflare still gets in the way for me testing this on my machine, but could be whitelisted by twow devs for their own forum)

It should just be a matter of changing a few URLs in the javascript you linked, as well as enabling this from within the forum (guide here) https://wowhead.com/forums/topic/powere ... guide-3464

Ltanailov

Post by Ltanailov » Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:39 pm

Xanwow wrote:
...but could be whitelisted by twow devs for their own forum...

It should just be a matter of changing a few URLs in the javascript you linked, as well as enabling this from within the forum (guide here) https://wowhead.com/forums/topic/powere ... guide-3464
Developers, please, we need this -> [Torta's Egg] <- to work! turtle_in_love