Gardening

Torta

Gardening

Post by Torta » Thu May 07, 2020 4:09 am

Hello! 🌿

Don’t you love nature? Have you ever had a dream about setting your own garden?
Here on Turtle WoW you have your chance to make your dreams come true!

Introducing a new feature: Gardening

Grow your own food: plant the seed, water it, foster it, and enjoy the results of your hard work once it’s fully grown! Yummy!

How does Gardening work?

Starting at level 20, take the quest “You Reap What You Sow” in Elwynn Forest or Mulgore.

This little adventure will teach you where to get 4 types of seeds with an accelerated growth rate.

After receiving a brand new shiny Shovel and your first Wooden Planter, you’ll be ready to grow your first pumpkin!

How?

Make sure to have enough Refreshing Spring Water, Un'Goro soil, and of course, Seeds with you. Place the Un’Goro Soil and the Seeds carefully in your planter and be prepared to wait! Every 9 minute you’ll have to water or fertilize the sproutling. And then, harvest it!

You must have Survival Skill (100) to get started with Gardening!

Speak to Kern Mosshoof in Mulgore or find Mortimer Stansfield in Elwynn Forest.

Superthanks Sinrek for writing skills as usual :)

Abundance

Re: Gardening

Post by Abundance » Thu May 07, 2020 1:49 pm

Beautiful! :)

Volitare

Post by Volitare » Thu May 07, 2020 3:39 pm

I absolutely love this!

Torta

Post by Torta » Thu May 07, 2020 9:03 pm

I'll just leave this here for while:

Cachucamaru

Post by Cachucamaru » Thu May 07, 2020 11:55 pm

Fantastic! Love the new immersive features. Would like for some woodcutting/working as well to round everything up.

Torta

Post by Torta » Sat May 09, 2020 9:25 pm

Few fixes for Monday:
  • Garden Shovel will now appear on the character's back when sheathed.
  • Garden Planters will become bond to the Gardening Zones.
  • Garden Planters will have one charge, the maximum amount in the bag will be 5.
  • Gardener's Apprentices now will sell Planters to those who completed [You reap What You Saw].
  • You won't be able to place 2 Planters next to each other.

Sinrek

Post by Sinrek » Sat May 09, 2020 10:58 pm

Torta wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 9:25 pm
  • You won't be able to place 2 Planters next to each other.
How far from each will you be able to place those? sad_turtle
satisfied_turtle Slowly turtling my way up.

Torta

Post by Torta » Sun May 10, 2020 1:02 am

3 yards.

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Sun May 10, 2020 3:35 am

I'm breaking - er, testing gardening to add it to my unofficial guidebook, and I came across a small bug. Not a game breaking one like the other, but they can't all be world enders. The variant of pumpkins that give 25% of your level stamina and spirit only granted my level 60 character 7 stamina and 6 spirit, rather than 15 to each.

I'll edit this post with other things as I encounter them. Thank you for the new feature. <3 My proclivity for exploiting aside, I truly do appreciate the work you guys put into these things. <3

Small nitpicks: The watermelons and associated seeds should be called Striped Melons. Currently there is an extra P, making them Stripped Melons, which are different.

Torta

Post by Torta » Sun May 10, 2020 3:42 am

Fixed extra P, thanks. No idea about bonus yet, will check.

Xerron

Post by Xerron » Sun May 10, 2020 7:44 am

the 25% of your level stam/spirit buff is broken for xmass/halloween buffs aswell, most likely is the same buff
E.R.

Torta

Post by Torta » Wed May 13, 2020 11:28 pm

Updated post with the information where to find Gardeners :)

Nugglies

Post by Nugglies » Thu May 14, 2020 1:19 am

a thoughtfully designed and well implemented feature. kudos!
t. slowbro

Torta

Post by Torta » Thu May 14, 2020 1:35 am

Thanks =^.^=

Torta

Post by Torta » Fri May 15, 2020 7:39 am

Up. Still gathering feedback, lazy turtles.

Cruciatus

Post by Cruciatus » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:57 am

I have messed around a bit with gardening. The gist of my feedback is that it is an underexplored, fun, and interesting system that currently yields no rewards whatsoever despite requiring so much time and money to get a final product.

Firstly, let us set the cost. Creation of each farming node to get to a final product is 22.588 silver plus an Un'goro Soil (around 10 silver at the time of this writing, being generous); total monetary cost for a node is 32.6 silver (rounded). As for the time cost, it takes 27 minutes for a node to fully mature.

Secondly, the final product. There are four kinds of seeds and each gives two final products. One is similar to foodstuffs obtained through cooking (stamina and spirit buff) and the other is unique to the seed. For example, berries grant 10 Agi whereas melons grant 10 Int. Those do not seem that great, although they could be slightly useful in case they can easily stack with other buffs (e.g. from food).

Still regarding the final product, they cannot be sold to NPCs but can be traded. However, as cited above, their buffs are not that great and require a relatively steep amount of time and money to produce, therefore I doubt someone would wish to buy, let alone for a profitable price. Mind you that the tests above were done at level 60 at 150 survival (in case it scales with survival, I do not know).

On a side note, I would like to point out that I am not considering the Magic Mushroom Spores, as those can only be obtained through NPCs and cost 2g50s each (!). I have only purchased those once in order to complete the gardening quest.

Finally, I would like to present a few directions in oder to improve the system:
  • Either make Un'goro Soil optional (as an enhancer) or replace it with something else. Using it conflicts with its use for reputation farming which would require farming to yield much better rewards in order to compete with that.
  • Reduce the waiting time to 15 minutes total (5 minutes on each section). 27 minutes is way too long, even as a relaxing activity.
  • Improve the buffs provided. At present, the buffs are simply not worth all the investment. I understand that the activity itself is part of the reward but look at fishing, you can get tangible ROI from that activity and gardening could be the same.
  • Expand the looting table slightly. It could include some rare drops, be it visuals (gardening gear), pets (bugs), or even something to vendor on NPCs (rare bugs, high quality crop).
  • Make the rewards scale with survival if it does not already. In doing so, I would also suggest increasing the survival skill cap to 300.
  • Expand the seeds available. I know this is a given, should the system get an expasion in the future, but it would be interesting to also be able to plant herbs and gather them using your herbalism skill. Of course, this could lead to inflation/botting of herbalism but there are many ways to define such system in order to prevent abuse. For instance, it could be an unique 30min CD for gardening and it would work much like existing profession CDs, such as alchemist's xmutes.
Last edited by Cruciatus on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Torta

Post by Torta » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:00 am

Great post, thank you. I'll keep it all in mind next time making changes to Gardening.

Exerty

Post by Exerty » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:28 am

Has there been any tweaks to guardening sice or is this still acurate?

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:50 pm

Its accurate.

Qixel

Post by Qixel » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:52 pm

Exerty wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:28 am
Has there been any tweaks to guardening sice or is this still acurate?
I don't know if it's intended, but planters require reagents to place, in addition to the planter, since the patch.

Exerty

Post by Exerty » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:01 pm

Really? That a pain I can only imagine duno if gardenings worth it then. Maybe when I get to 60 and have gold to burn then.

Whosthechicken

Post by Whosthechicken » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:52 pm

All your planters disappear if you get DCd from the server. I can't imagine wasting several gold for a few planters, having to babysit them for half an hour, and then lose all of it because I DC for whatever reason.

It's also pretty lame that there are 4 plants to grow, of which 3 are essentially useless and the seeds for the 4th are overpriced.

Pak5000

Post by Pak5000 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:05 pm

Just turned in YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW.and i have some thoughts. there is no direction as what to do next. i was expecting a GARDENING icon to appear in my spells and abilities book. or new skills under survival. nothing. trainer has nothing. i even went to STV looking for more from the survival trainer there. nothing. you just start planting. kind of anti-climatic.

and this is a lvl 20 quest that seems geared for higher level toons. you need to have survival 100. which means you have to brace STV at lvl 20. and you need to be able to afford the mats for all those torches and tents to get survival to 100. very expensive. you can't farm the mushroom spores, you have to buy them. for 2.5 g. i don't have that kind of money at lvl 20. you really should able to farm them somewhere or maybe have them drop from a mob . doesn't feel like a lvl 20 quest so far.

if you manage to find/buy all the ingredients, and plant away, you have to wait about 30 minutes for the whole process. i could be do and turn in multiple lvl 20 quests in 30 minutes. this is quite an investment of time. and in the end i get food items i can't use yet. it is a lvl 20 quest that give me lvl 25/35/45/55 food items. that can't not be traded or auctioned. i can consume them, but can't use them as a way to make money. after all that money i spent to get here.

i love the idea of new skills and new content but this one feels like it needs work. it is too expensive and difficult for a lvl 20 toon. it feels more like high lvl content for someone who is bored. i am surprise this new skill is tied to survival . never seen that before. but then why does making a planter show up in survival ? where are the other items you can plant ? herb teas ? poisons ? pet food ? seems this is a good start but there is no indication it is going to go somewhere. for the amount of time and money invested i don't see the value.

would eventually like to see more recipes (plant armor or hats ?). would like to see more gardening trainers around the map. and wuld like to know if it is separate from survivial or just a nw survival skill that should show up in my survival skills lsit ?

great job on adding new content. i just think tis one needs some work. and now that i managed to get there - with a lot of help from my amazing guildies - i think i will hold off on actual planting. i will wait to see where this goes first.

last thought ... that new patch 1.6.4 island ? maybe we could find banana seeds there ?

Pak5000

Post by Pak5000 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:07 pm

did i mention having to go back to ungoro crater - at lvl 20 - for more soil ?

Mativh

Post by Mativh » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:45 pm

I love it! I like to do gardening irl as well so I'm looking forward to set up my garden and immerse myself even more, I've been already roleplaying as if my character lived in some of the remote houses I've been occupying in nice peaceful places found in Azeroth (perhaps one day there could be some sort of housing as well with the hearthstone attachable to that location). It'd be great to be able to also plant trees and more edible/medicinal plants.
Last edited by Mativh on Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

De-standardization of Classes - Immersive Racials [Undead]
My FB

Pak5000

Post by Pak5000 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:48 pm

there really is room for this to be something cool. it's just not there yet.

Condabas

Post by Condabas » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:50 am

Would love to see a type of buff that helped with professions..ie reduce the time to make stuff, gather, mine or to increase chance of getting gems when mining, etc. Most of the stat buffs are already covered with Alchemy.

Another option could be a buff to grant a racial bonus for professions and diplomacy.

Last idea could be buffs given via quests could be reused for this.

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:43 pm

Need Crops plants, just grown for vendor profit. Wow gold farming will get a hole new meaning.

Cotton maybe

Xudo

Post by Xudo » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:36 am

Is it possible to make gardening available since 19? I could spend time on twink doing this stuff.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Kefke

Post by Kefke » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:32 pm

Honestly, I'd kind of like to see Gardening split off into its own profession, and both it and Survival get smoothed out to work across a full level progression.

Aeternusdoleo

Post by Aeternusdoleo » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:37 pm

Consider allowing Alchemy ingredient plants to be grown through Gardening as an alternate means to gathering them out in the wild.

The skill level required could be tied to the Herbology skill needed to gather them.
For a yield, I propose one herb is used as a "seed" for a harvest 6 to 9, given the time you need to invest.

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:40 pm

6-9? That would be insane.
Get 20 gromsblood, spent 45 min gardening, end up with 150? No thx.

But 2 would be fine. Would make herbing prices close to vendor trash

Xudo

Post by Xudo » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:21 am

Xudo wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:36 am
Is it possible to make gardening available since 19? I could spend time on twink doing this stuff.
I checked it now. You don't need to do quest to use Wooden Planters. So gardening available since you can level Survival to 75. Even on 19 lvl.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.