Dev Blog: Balance in 1.17.2

Bogyone

Re: Dev Blog: Balance in 1.17.2

Post by Bogyone » Fri May 10, 2024 11:28 pm

Thelleria wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 8:32 pm
Honestly: I do not like the nerf of weapon skills! sad_turtle
I had perfered another way to balance this for endgame!
We have the Bow Skillbook in Hayal!
Why not offer skillbooks as raid loot? Or as a reward for a class or weapon mastery questline?
I think there are other ways to balance this without buchering the weaponskills and racial bonusses.
For this reason I absolutely loved how the gearing system in SWTOR worked (works?). I know it's not that same franchise but...
Something like this would be Turtle send. Armor shells with set boni to mix and match and then endless upgrades of tiers with improved components. New combinations, reinventing specs and gear mixes, hardening encounters.
For now we have promise that something will get better (but what exactly? :) )

Glaive

Post by Glaive » Fri May 10, 2024 11:33 pm

I think it's awesome that rogues will be able to use axes. Thanks for doing that! There will be a dwarf rogue running around with two axes and a mohawk. You can count on that.

Xudo
Has liked: 47 times

Post by Xudo » Sat May 11, 2024 3:24 am

Bogyone wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 5:42 pm
Hi Xudo, isn't it all already calculated for us on Nostalrius: Weapon skill from 300 to 323 and the implications therein.
While this article is based on some archive pages, it is not how it works on vMangos against mobs.
1. Weapon skill does not reduce chance to get parry.
2. Weapon skill against mobs reduce change to get dodge for 0.1%, not 0.04%. Same for block.
3. Weapon skill grants 0.2% of raw hit if you have below 5 points of skill and 0.1% if you have above 5 points of skill. Plus 2% of raw hit for reaching 5 points of skill.
3. It implies that in DPS situation you get parries and blocks. While you should not get them if you attack from behind.

And I haven't checked glancing blow damage calculation. This article implies fixed amount of damage from glancing blow, while it is random in between some range.
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Luqj

Post by Luqj » Sat May 11, 2024 7:56 am

Druid for 2H sword plz.

Dhrazar

Post by Dhrazar » Sat May 11, 2024 10:22 am

People who choose the race just for +weapon skill shouldn't play on turtle either. They just playing the game for goddamn numbers and nothing else, thinking they are the minmax best.

Babrakadabra

Post by Babrakadabra » Sat May 11, 2024 12:08 pm

NERF WARLOCK, PALADIN, SHAMAN
TY

Piacrt

Post by Piacrt » Sat May 11, 2024 2:52 pm

Dhrazar wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 10:22 am
People who choose the race just for +weapon skill shouldn't play on turtle either. They just playing the game for goddamn numbers and nothing else, thinking they are the minmax best.
Valid way to the play a video game. Love it or hate it. PvE players make up a large amount of the playerbase, we belong here whether you like it or not.

Jc473

Post by Jc473 » Sat May 11, 2024 3:45 pm

Piacrt wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 2:52 pm
Dhrazar wrote:
Valid way to the play a video game. Love it or hate it. PvE players make up a large amount of the playerbase, we belong here whether you like it or not.
I think it's a small subsection (i.e. those who raid and/or hardcore) who actually care about +weapon skills racial this much. The rest of the those PvE players who are casual probably don't care about it.

Ghola

Post by Ghola » Sat May 11, 2024 5:31 pm

Weapon skill is like a 10+% damage increase, it's like not pressing whirlwind because youre too casual

It's one of those things where people will make a night elf warrior because "I'm not a sweat" and months later they regret it

its like balancing pvp over people who don't pvp...oh wait...
Last edited by Ghola on Sun May 12, 2024 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wowplayer9

Post by Wowplayer9 » Sat May 11, 2024 9:25 pm

Let's nerf warriors even more. Why not just remove them out of the game altogether.
Better yet, just implement Pandaria expansion and get it over with.

Nonnoanselmo

Post by Nonnoanselmo » Sun May 12, 2024 12:33 pm

Thelleria wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 8:32 pm
Honestly: I do not like the nerf of weapon skills! sad_turtle

I had perfered another way to balance this for endgame!

We have the Bow Skillbook in Hayal!

Why not offer skillbooks as raid loot? Or as a reward for a class or weapon mastery questline?

I think there are other ways to balance this without buchering the weaponskills and racial bonusses.
offering a skillbook as raid loot, so it's just THC or ancient jade leggings or death's sting. All of which are items people foam at the mouth for. Accessibility of weapon skill is good.
I like UX design.

Erhog

Post by Erhog » Sun May 12, 2024 12:42 pm

Dhrazar wrote:
With such logic you don't need to make changes in balance due to you SHOULD play your race+class and enjoying it no matter what coz otherwise you are "playing the game for goddamn numbers and nothing else".

Dhrazar

Post by Dhrazar » Sun May 12, 2024 1:37 pm

Jc473 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 3:45 pm
Piacrt wrote:
Dhrazar wrote:
I think it's a small subsection (i.e. those who raid and/or hardcore) who actually care about +weapon skills racial this much. The rest of the those PvE players who are casual probably don't care about it.
That's exactly the point. A small amount of players, who are crying the loudest, makes the rest of the players feel, they have to choose human, otherwise they have a huuuge disadvantage.
But that's not true. It's just their point of view, how to play the game, because they don't know how to play it otherwise, beside minmax.
And this makes some people driving themselves crazy, knowing you are successful with a different playstyle.
I'm the main tank of our guild, we are not that big, but we are raiding successfully. And some Paladins in SW whispering me, and telling me i have to choose item xy, and must skill like they did, otherwise i'm not that good, durr durr durr.
But the thing is, i'm fine with my playstyle, i'm not going oom if i don't want to, i'm not loosing aggro.
It's my character and i'm playing it how it makes me happy and it just works.
But i would never force people to play it my way, or this way. Or saying this is the only way.

Foobs

Post by Foobs » Sun May 12, 2024 1:40 pm

Dhrazar wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 1:37 pm
Jc473 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 3:45 pm
Piacrt wrote:

That's exactly the point. A small amount of players, who are crying the loudest, makes the rest of the players feel, they have to choose human, otherwise they have a huuuge disadvantage.
But that's not true. It's just their point of view, how to play the game, because they don't know how to play it otherwise, beside minmax.
And this makes some people driving themselves crazy, knowing you are successful with a different playstyle.
I'm the main tank of our guild, we are not that big, but we are raiding successfully. And some Paladins in SW whispering me, and telling me i have to choose item xy, and must skill like they did, otherwise i'm not that good, durr durr durr.
But the thing is, i'm fine with my playstyle, i'm not going oom if i don't want to, i'm not loosing aggro.
It's my character and i'm playing it how it makes me happy and it just works.
But i would never force people to play it my way, or this way. Or saying this is the only way.
Ya I hear you there.
wary_turtle_head I'm just here for the GM's replies--Carry on!!

Plainbear

Post by Plainbear » Sun May 12, 2024 3:30 pm

Nakedgrandma420 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 12:18 am
Polearm for shaman plz!
A staff with a blade at the end? Impossible to master for us Shamans. What next? Swords? Image

I am personally for having weapons bonuses as part as a quest chain involving raids or dungeons. Like the dagger skill +5 could be found talking to the Rogue guild, an area most non rogues never visit.

Maybe limit the specializations to make them meaningfull like a profession spec? If you want to be a Wand priest or a Staff priest for example.

Slashignore

Post by Slashignore » Sun May 12, 2024 4:23 pm

longer mindflay range please.

Arthurusmenks

Post by Arthurusmenks » Sun May 12, 2024 5:40 pm

Galun wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:54 pm
I dont understand why every single comment is about humans, they still have useful racials:
-Stealth Detection increased
-Increased Spirit
-Bonus rep
Said no one ever...

Watterboy1

Post by Watterboy1 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:41 pm

Slashignore wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 4:23 pm
longer mindflay range please.
Yea spriest should just be able to slow, stun and kill any class at any range with one button and be able to face-tank melee classes still.

Xanwow

Post by Xanwow » Sun May 12, 2024 7:05 pm

Are people actually being forced to pick races they dont want to?
Do raid organizers actually pass over someone because they are missing the racial weapon skill?

This seems like a massive change to address non-issue. Especially since twow has a few custom "+ weapon skill" items.

Ghola

Post by Ghola » Sun May 12, 2024 8:21 pm

Why are so many people arguing that people are too casual for a change in weapon skill to matter? thats exactly the reason why its being changed, to empower casuals

suddenly the guy who raids to get drunk with his buddies and roleplay a dwarf is doing 10% more damage and hasn't changed the way he plays at all, and thats a bad thing?

Gantulga

Post by Gantulga » Sun May 12, 2024 9:06 pm

I'm convinced that a lot of very vocal people have never actually played on this server past Westfall.

Plainbear

Post by Plainbear » Mon May 13, 2024 12:05 am

Xanwow wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 7:05 pm
Are people actually being forced to pick races they dont want to?
Do raid organizers actually pass over someone because they are missing the racial weapon skill?

This seems like a massive change to address non-issue. Especially since twow has a few custom "+ weapon skill" items.
Some raid leaders refuse to give some weaponsto some races. Like Orcs have priorities for axes and Goblins Daggers and Humans Swords, ect

Xanwow

Post by Xanwow » Mon May 13, 2024 12:25 am

Plainbear wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:05 am
Some raid leaders refuse to give some weaponsto some races. Like Orcs have priorities for axes and Goblins Daggers and Humans Swords, ect
Loot prio is hardly game breaking though, It evens out due to cross faction raids. Humans pass on axes because they get swords and maces, orcs pass on swords because they have axes.

Plainbear

Post by Plainbear » Mon May 13, 2024 12:52 am

Xanwow wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:25 am
Plainbear wrote:
Loot prio is hardly game breaking though, It evens out due to cross faction raids. Humans pass on axes because they get swords and maces, orcs pass on swords because they have axes.
Except that there is no Axe legendary while Swords and Maces have Thunderfury and Sulfuras. Elimination of those silly rules would make new raiders less angry when they passed over for not being Humans or Orcs. I like Taurens, but Taurens have no weapon skill so I have no priorities unlike ,most races.

Xanwow

Post by Xanwow » Mon May 13, 2024 1:01 am

Plainbear wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:52 am
Xanwow wrote:
Plainbear wrote:
Except that there is no Axe legendary while Swords and Maces have Thunderfury and Sulfuras. Elimination of those silly rules would make new raiders less angry when they passed over for not being Humans or Orcs. I like Taurens, but Taurens have no weapon skill so I have no priorities unlike ,most races.
What you are describing is the allure of classic wow. Humans dont get +20% stun resist or blood fury, etc etc. It would be equally as absurd if you put those as things you can obtain from a quest chain. Races have pros and cons, classes have pros and cons.

Most of the other posts say this is aimed at casual player, not raiders trying to get legendary weapons. Even then, you can still get most raid gear (even legendary pieces) with a soft reserve or dkp.

Plainbear

Post by Plainbear » Mon May 13, 2024 1:25 am

Xanwow wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 1:01 am
Plainbear wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:52 am
Xanwow wrote:

What you are describing is the allure of classic wow. Humans dont get +20% stun resist or blood fury, etc etc. It would be equally as absurd if you put those as things you can obtain from a quest chain. Races have pros and cons, classes have pros and cons.

Most of the other posts say this is aimed at casual player, not raiders trying to get legendary weapons. Even then, you can still get most raid gear (even legendary pieces) with a soft reserve or dkp.
In my year of raiding, I seen several PUG guild refuse to SR a Sword Mace because another person wanted to SR it who had the right race. Making races different is different than Gatekeeping potential gear upgrades. Having Dwarf priest be BIS for raids because other races dont get the Fear Ward is a silly, unfun, thing. Races can feel different via skills like Goblins run away ability or Taurens plainrunning, but some races get bad abilities who make them less good for raids or PVP. Night Elves having to die to use the Wisp ability make Night Elves really bad in Hardcore since they lose a whole Ability slot. I believe abilities like that should be changed/buffed so that races should not play a factor in raids or PVP rankings of BIS

Xanwow

Post by Xanwow » Mon May 13, 2024 2:10 am

Plainbear wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 1:25 am
In my year of raiding, I seen several PUG guild refuse to SR a Sword Mace because another person wanted to SR it who had the right race. Making races different is different than Gatekeeping potential gear upgrades. Having Dwarf priest be BIS for raids because other races dont get the Fear Ward is a silly, unfun, thing. Races can feel different via skills like Goblins run away ability or Taurens plainrunning, but some races get bad abilities who make them less good for raids or PVP. Night Elves having to die to use the Wisp ability make Night Elves really bad in Hardcore since they lose a whole Ability slot. I believe abilities like that should be changed/buffed so that races should not play a factor in raids or PVP rankings of BIS
Well its certainly dishonorable to refuse to honor a SR. Most pugs ive ran with have had the rule "if you can wear it, you can SR it".

I do agree that racials should add flavor yet not be super impactful to end game play. I wish there was more thought put into his rework, because it seems like most races get a direct buff, while the weapon racials get directly nerfed.

This is especially crap for humans, as two of their racials are getting nerfed, and their others are garbage.

Jstansberry

Post by Jstansberry » Mon May 13, 2024 2:41 am

Xudo wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 3:24 am
Bogyone wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 5:42 pm
Hi Xudo, isn't it all already calculated for us on Nostalrius: Weapon skill from 300 to 323 and the implications therein.
While this article is based on some archive pages, it is not how it works on vMangos against mobs.
1. Weapon skill does not reduce chance to get parry.
2. Weapon skill against mobs reduce change to get dodge for 0.1%, not 0.04%. Same for block.
3. Weapon skill grants 0.2% of raw hit if you have below 5 points of skill and 0.1% if you have above 5 points of skill. Plus 2% of raw hit for reaching 5 points of skill.
3. It implies that in DPS situation you get parries and blocks. While you should not get them if you attack from behind.

And I haven't checked glancing blow damage calculation. This article implies fixed amount of damage from glancing blow, while it is random in between some range.
Sorry but I believe If you look in Unit.cpp on the vMangos github you can see that this is incorrect. Weapon skill does reduce chance to get parried in a similar way that it reduces chance to be dodged (Check parrySkillBonus).

Also, if you're still curious about glancing blow reduction, you can find it on line 1475 in Unit.cpp :

case MELEE_HIT_GLANCING:
{
damageInfo->HitInfo |= HITINFO_GLANCING;
damageInfo->TargetState = VICTIMSTATE_NORMAL;
damageInfo->procEx |= PROC_EX_NORMAL_HIT;

// Baeza formula: https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Weapon_ ... did=347613
// Low end : 1.3 - 0.05*(defense - skill) min of 0.01 and max of 0.91
// If the attacker is a caster then this is reduced by 0.7 and max of 0.6
// High end : 1.2 - 0.03*(defense - skill) min of 0.2 and max of 0.99
// If the attacker is a caster then this is reduced by 0.3

int32 skillDiff = pVictim->GetDefenseSkillValue(this) - GetWeaponSkillValue(damageInfo->attackType, pVictim);
float low = 1.3f - 0.05f * skillDiff;
float high = 1.2f - 0.03f * skillDiff;
float lowCap = 0.91f;
float highCap = 0.99f;

if ((GetClassMask() & CLASSMASK_WAND_USERS) != 0) {
low -= 0.7f;
high -= 0.3f;
lowCap = 0.6f;
}

if (low < 0.01f) low = 0.01f;
if (high < 0.2f) high = 0.2f;

if (low > lowCap) low = lowCap;
if (high > highCap) high = highCap;

float reducePercent = frand(low,high);

// sLog.Out(LOG_BASIC, LOG_LVL_MINIMAL, "SkillDiff = %i, reducePercent = %f", SkillDiff, reducePercent); // Pour tests & débug via la console

damageInfo->cleanDamage += uint32((1.0f - reducePercent) * damageInfo->totalDamage);
damageInfo->totalDamage = uint32(reducePercent * damageInfo->totalDamage);

for (uint8 i = 0; i < m_weaponDamageCount[damageInfo->attackType]; i++)
damageInfo->subDamage.damage = uint32(reducePercent * damageInfo->subDamage.damage);

break;
}

Xudo
Has liked: 47 times

Post by Xudo » Mon May 13, 2024 4:08 am

Jstansberry wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 2:41 am
Sorry but I believe If you look in Unit.cpp on the vMangos github you can see that this is incorrect. Weapon skill does reduce chance to get parried in a similar way that it reduces chance to be dodged (Check parrySkillBonus).
I had similar misinterpretation, but when I carefully traced values, I found that in fact parrySkillBonus is always the same. Several people backed this conclusion with in-game statistics.
For dodge calculation is

Code: Select all

int32    dodgeSkillBonus = pVictim->IsPlayer() ? 4 * skillDiff : 10 * skillDiff;
but for parry it is

Code: Select all

int32    cappedSkillDiff = std::min(attackerMaxSkillValueForLevel, attackerWeaponSkill) - victimMaxSkillValueForLevel;
int32    parrySkillBonus = pVictim->IsPlayer() ? 4 * skillDiff : cappedSkillDiff < -10 ? 60 * cappedSkillDiff : 20 * cappedSkillDiff;
Xudo - tauren warrior 19 Sergeant armory.
I don't raid and rank, so you can not bother asking.
Nerf high level enchants on low level gear
Add lvl requirement to bandages
Best and optimal gear for 10-19 twinks
Have fun not only at 60.

Hdliebtwo

Post by Hdliebtwo » Mon May 13, 2024 7:22 am

Babrakadabra wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 12:08 pm
TY
OH NO, I play a wawwiow, and some classes kill me.
NERF THEM, PLOX, I CAN't take it ANYMOA.

Erhog

Post by Erhog » Mon May 13, 2024 7:58 am

Hdliebtwo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:22 am
Babrakadabra wrote:
TY
OH NO, I play a wawwiow, and some classes kill me.
NERF THEM, PLOX, I CAN't take it ANYMOA.
Funniest thing is that mage or SP aren't mentioned in this list

Ataika

Post by Ataika » Mon May 13, 2024 9:03 am

too little too slow
sorry, but online rapidly declining already

Charanko

Post by Charanko » Mon May 13, 2024 9:17 am

Babrakadabra wrote:
TY
add shadow priest to nerf; prolly the most broken of all
& buff enhance :P
Orky Sulfuron Champion

Marafado

Post by Marafado » Mon May 13, 2024 9:56 am

makes more sense to send torta and the other russian staff members to ucranian front than keep them plaeasing the china peasents. These creatures are suposed to be good controlling drones (kharkiv aggression will be more productive).

ps: what dont makes sence is other western players and ucranians looking for a pala nerf ;P
ps2: ehhh the hit rating "adjust" can be dificult for the western gold buyers :)

Hdliebtwo

Post by Hdliebtwo » Mon May 13, 2024 10:59 am

Marafado wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:56 am
makes more sense to send torta and the other russian staff members to ucranian front than keep them plaeasing the china peasents. These creatures are suposed to be good controlling drones (kharkiv aggression will be more productive).

This is incredibly insulting to read.
Marafado = Keyboard bully.
Don't people have better things to do in life?