Mage Instance AOE Farms? Do they work?

Pwpw

Mage Instance AOE Farms? Do they work?

Post by Pwpw » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:48 pm

Hello, i was wondering if anyone knows if the usual Instance Farms work in Turtle WOW?

I tested the Zul"Farrak Graveyard Farm and even though i ve seen a video on youtube, it does not work! (the mobs wont run back and forth)

So what about the other ones?
- Scarlet Cathedral / Armory
- Maraudon
- Zul Gurub (saw a video of this, but maybe its fixed too?)

Anyone knows?

Redmagejoe

Re: Mage Instance AOE Farms? Do they work?

Post by Redmagejoe » Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:38 am

I think you're asking in the wrong community, friend. Most people playing here are actually playing: Doing content, meeting people for groups. They're not looking for the most soulless and efficient leveling tactics, so you may be hard-pressed to find intimate knowledge of good AoE farms.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Pwpw

Post by Pwpw » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:40 pm

You may have misunderstood my motivation. I do this for the great Challenge it poses. Its one of the hardest things you can do in this game. I also dont know what Bubble you talk about?

Drubarrymooer

Post by Drubarrymooer » Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:14 pm

Pwpw wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:40 pm
You may have misunderstood my motivation. I do this for the great Challenge it poses. Its one of the hardest things you can do in this game. I also dont know what Bubble you talk about?
Naxxaramas is one of the hardest things you can do. The Turtle HC challenge is one of the hardest things you can do. Exploiting the game for personal benefit really isn't all that difficult and something we, as a community, are very much against. The vast majority of the player base doesn't want mage boosting or any other exploit. If you like the "challenge" of it, there is SoM and retail.

Smoaky843

Post by Smoaky843 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:55 am

Drubarrymooer wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:14 pm
Pwpw wrote:
Naxxaramas is one of the hardest things you can do. The Turtle HC challenge is one of the hardest things you can do. Exploiting the game for personal benefit really isn't all that difficult and something we, as a community, are very much against. The vast majority of the player base doesn't want mage boosting or any other exploit. If you like the "challenge" of it, there is SoM and retail.
Coming off as quite arrogant man... "our way or the highway" mentality is extremely toxic

Drubarrymooer

Post by Drubarrymooer » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:20 am

Smoaky843 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:55 am
Drubarrymooer wrote:
Pwpw wrote:
Coming off as quite arrogant man... "our way or the highway" mentality is extremely toxic
Yeahhhh....that's not what I meant and weird that you got that out of it. Turtle WoW is the antithesis of WoW Classic. It's slower, its more communal, and its about playing the game however you want in a fun manner. The only people looking to do those types of runs, can feign "challenge" all they like, however its usually just for exploitation. The same posts creep up "hey, is it against TOS to sell run throughs of ZF". Or you'll start to see that same person around ZF with a bunch of unguilded or newcomer guilded low lvls showing up to get run through. There's almost always someone trying to boost.

Mac

Post by Mac » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:33 am

Pwpw wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:48 pm
I tested the Zul"Farrak Graveyard Farm and even though i ve seen a video on youtube, it does not work! (the mobs wont run back and forth)
If I remember right they changed the pathing specifically so it doesn’t work.

Kairion

Post by Kairion » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:02 am

Mob pathing is handled server side. This is something the creator of private servers had to approximate. You cant just get that information from the client.

So private servers NEVER are 100% identical with pathing to vanilla. Even blizzards rerun classic had different pathfinding from 2005 since they threw out the old servers.

So you could always try to find different tactics that might work.

Thegr8equalizer

Post by Thegr8equalizer » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:52 am

Kairion wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:02 am
Mob pathing is handled server side. This is something the creator of private servers had to approximate. You cant just get that information from the client.

So private servers NEVER are 100% identical with pathing to vanilla. Even blizzards rerun classic had different pathfinding from 2005 since they threw out the old servers.

So you could always try to find different tactics that might work.
While the first part is absolutely true. The turtle wow experience is merely an emulation of the true wow experience. And there it is based on approximations that are more or less accurate.

The second part is absolutely untrue. As blizzard has 1.12 reference client, the pathing recreated for era was 100% accurate to the 1.12 pathing.

You can even check some old videos of Faxmonkey who was a famous troll mage in vanilla kiting various mobs and bosses solo and abusing pathing to kill them.

Please don't mispread wrong informations. The more authentic 1.12 experience is the official era classic one. There is no doubt about it.

Kairion

Post by Kairion » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:47 am

They eventually sourced a reference client sure. But pathing absolutely was NOT 100% identical with 2005. The original client was much less evade prone than the reference client. Stuff like soloing magma ragers in MC as hunter that were possible on 2005 client was not doable anymore in the revised client.

I suspect they were "close enough" and left it at that

Thegr8equalizer

Post by Thegr8equalizer » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:56 am

Kairion wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:47 am
They eventually sourced a reference client sure. But pathing absolutely was NOT 100% identical with 2005. The original client was much less evade prone than the reference client. Stuff like soloing magma ragers in MC as hunter that were possible on 2005 client was not doable anymore in the revised client.

I suspect they were "close enough" and left it at that
As I specifically stated, they are 100% accurate on 1.12 pathing. I even told you to watch Faxmonkey vanilla videos and do the exact same kites he does on a era server and you will observe the exact same behaviour and timing in evades on safespots.

The evades worked the same in 1.12 as they work on era classic client. The only difference is the lag and batching making it seem a bit less responsive in vanilla.

I will wait until you link me a 1.12 official vanilla server video of hunters soloing magma ragers. Which btw wouldn't change anything as blizzard may have had manually changed specific mob behaviours to prevent abuse.

The pathing not being touched by these mob specific custom changes tho,it's 10000% more accurate on era than it is on turtle wow client. Same with mob behaviour, mobs were never meant to spam their cc spells/buffs spells or powerful spells in vanilla yet in here they do spam them. Even the interactions with terrains are inaccurate. Just play one warsong and you will get what I mean.

Turtle wow is mostly just a bad emulator of vanilla wow.

Kairion

Post by Kairion » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:19 am

Unfortunately i can't find the video anymore. This is the Warcraftmovies profile:
https://www.warcraftmovies.com/pv.php?l=dysphoria
And here is a reupload youtube channel of his other vids: https://www.youtube.com/@dysph0
The footage might've perished with the original youtube channel being shut down.

So i'll be marked as a liar =(

But you could be right that it was just the batching difference that made it feel so vastly different.

Escapism

Post by Escapism » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:34 pm

I did a few scrappy half dungeon SM pulls gy/arm but found I was making better money on DM East whippers with herbalism. Of course there is generally 1-2 people in the open world aoe leveling spots including WPL, especially because paladin is so popular. If ZG or MARA are possible with the tuning here I honestly think they should be fixed - that's taking it way too far. A number of players from a place known for farmers have recently joined.

Thegr8equalizer

Post by Thegr8equalizer » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:09 pm

Escapism wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:34 pm
I did a few scrappy half dungeon SM pulls gy/arm but found I was making better money on DM East whippers with herbalism. Of course there is generally 1-2 people in the open world aoe leveling spots including WPL, especially because paladin is so popular. If ZG or MARA are possible with the tuning here I honestly think they should be fixed - that's taking it way too far. A number of players from a place known for farmers have recently joined.
The pathing is not accurate to classic and both zg and mara rely heavily on specific pathing for kiting. So I do not believe these farms work. You can still do the normal CoC zg crocs farm and the mara turtle farm tho.

Vliqta

Post by Vliqta » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:08 pm

Kairion wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:47 am
Stuff like soloing magma ragers in MC as hunter that were possible on 2005 client was not doable anymore in the revised client.
One of our hunters solo'd Magma Ragers in MC during WoW classic back in 2020, Zeroji on twitch. I saw it with my own eyes so not sure where you get this info from.

Homelesscard

Post by Homelesscard » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:04 pm

Drubarrymooer wrote:
Pwpw wrote:
So much vitriol lol. Unless there are some big changes in Twow naxx, naxx is not super challenging. A full ZG pull is a platformer mixed with adrenaline rush as an army cuts corners to catch up with you. One missed jump gets you dazed and done.

Full Mara pulls are like 12 minute choreographed dances: every mama shield, blink, nova intentional and crucial.

Sure boosting for gold to level others is justifiably contentious, but I found learning and mastering these mega pulls to be a great challenge, and extremely satisfying when you finally pull it off and see 100s of elites drop.

Drubarrymooer

Post by Drubarrymooer » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:55 am

Homelesscard wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:04 pm
So much vitriol lol. Unless there are some big changes in Twow naxx, naxx is not super challenging. A full ZG pull is a platformer mixed with adrenaline rush as an army cuts corners to catch up with you. One missed jump gets you dazed and done.

Full Mara pulls are like 12 minute choreographed dances: every mama shield, blink, nova intentional and crucial.

Sure boosting for gold to level others is justifiably contentious, but I found learning and mastering these mega pulls to be a great challenge, and extremely satisfying when you finally pull it off and see 100s of elites drop.
Sorry, call it jaded skepticism from classic. I never met a mage that wasn't doing it for boosting purposes/gold selling. I've cleared all raid content in TBC and WotLK during its original release. I only cleared Naxx here. I still find Naxx to be challenging. However, I'm not that great. I'm not saying those pulls aren't impressive and don't require skill. I'm saying from personal observation and watching people level this way in classic....it seems like its main purpose is to boost and skip entire swaths of content and/or earn gold to sell. If that's what you enjoy doing, you do you.

Homelesscard

Post by Homelesscard » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:26 am

Yeah fair. I feel like even before boosting for gold existed, at the beginning of classic you had the min/max community scheming to skip most of the content by dungeon spamming to 60...it seems endemic to the modern min/max game mentality.

Kairion

Post by Kairion » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:51 am

Aoe Farming is certainly cool, but the probelm comes when it is SO MUCH MORE beneficial to do than just playing the game "regularly"

If you can level 20-30% faster by aoe farming then so be it, let the people who enjoy it or wanna minmax do it. But 200+ mobs maraudon pulls break the game in an unhealthy way. Mainly by making people seek out such services for big money rather than actally engaging with the lvling content & forming dungeon groups.

Same goes for AoE farming. If you are able to farm a bit more than a warrior could on your mage, nothing wrong with that, evey class has things they are good at. The issue however crops up when one class can consistently farm double or tripple the gold per time investment than another. At this point, since you take part in the same game economy, your time is just not valued the same based on what class you play.