Another class suggestion: The Witch Doctor (Updated)

Tenyar

Another class suggestion: The Witch Doctor (Updated)

Post by Tenyar » Tue May 16, 2023 12:45 pm

General Info

The Witch Doctor is a hybrid class that combines some elements of both the Warlock and the Priest. Witch Doctors bring a unique blend of mysticism, healing, and dark magic to the battlefield. They are valued members of their tribes and play crucial roles in both spiritual rituals and combat situations. With their deep understanding of voodoo lore and their ability to tap into the power of the Loa, Witch Doctors are formidable allies and respected figures within Troll society.

Since I had made my original post, I had become sort of obsessed with this idea; How it would look in game, and how it would feel to play...So I tried it. I've got a pretty solid base, I think and I'd like some opinions on it. As far as spells go, they're all built as if they were a real class. I.E., if you see a spell is [Rank 7] there are six other ranks behind it that do proportionately less damage, cost less mana, all that. All the spells have fitting visuals for what they are, Plague cloud is a gas cloud, Bone Shield is Floating Bones, ex.. Same goes for the talents. Each Talent Tree is fully working, you have to spend the correct amount of points to progress, and talents have multiple ranks that adjust accordingly. In total there are about 200 new spells created, including all the ranks and talents.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Unique Mechanics & Class Quests

One unique mechanic on the Witch Doctor is it's Voodoo Doll Ability. It is a powerful tool for the Witch Doctor, allowing them to focus their dark magic on a single target and increase their damage output.

Around level 3-5 for their class quest, the Witch Doctor will learn the spells [Create Voodoo Doll] and [Hex of the Voodoo Doll].

Quest Giver: Witch Doctor Nara'jin

Quest Description:
Witch Doctor Nara'jin, an esteemed practitioner of the dark arts, has sensed your growing potential as a Witch Doctor. He believes it is time for you to delve deeper into the mystical realm of voodoo magic. However, before you can master the craft of crafting voodoo dolls, you must prove your worth and seek the blessings of the Loa spirits.

Travel to the Echo Isles, a sacred place where the spirits of the Darkspear tribe reside, and seek out the guidance of Bwonsamdi, the Loa of Graves. He holds the key to unlocking the secrets of voodoo dolls.

Objectives:
  • Travel to the Echo Isles and find Bwonsamdi's Altar.
  • Commune with the spirit of Bwonsamdi and prove your dedication to the Loa.
  • Complete three trials bestowed upon you by Bwonsamdi
Return to Witch Doctor Nara'jin in Sen'jin Village and present him with the blessings of Bwonsamdi.

Quest Completion:

Witch Doctor Nara'jin looks at you with a mixture of pride and anticipation. "You have done well, $N. You have shown great determination and respect for the Loa. As a reward for your efforts, I shall share with you the ancient knowledge of crafting voodoo dolls."

Nara'jin hands you a worn, leather-bound book filled with intricate symbols and rituals. "Study this grimoire diligently, for it contains the sacred techniques required to weave the spirits into physical form. May the Loa guide your hands and grant you the power to bind your enemies."

Reward: [Create Voodoo Doll] [Hex of the Voodoo Doll]

The Witch Doctor can then cast [Hex of the Voodoo Doll] on a target, consuming one reagent(A Voodoo Doll); which will mark the target similar to a Hunter's [Hunter's Mark], then (and only then) allow the Witch Doctor to cast several other spells on the target.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Talents

The Witch Doctor would have three talent trees; Voodoo Mastery, Shadowmending, and Summoning.

The Voodoo Mastery talent tree delves deep into the esoteric arts of voodoo magic, unlocking the true potential of the Witch Doctor's connection to the Loa spirits. This talent tree enhances the Witch Doctor's command over life energies, dark hexes, and powerful rituals.

The Shadowmending talent tree delves into the forbidden and enigmatic aspects of the Witch Doctor's healing abilities. Harnessing the power of shadow and life essence, the Witch Doctor who specializes in Shadowmending becomes a formidable healer with the ability to mend wounds, restore vitality, and even manipulate life force for both harm and healing.

The Summoning talent tree empowers the Witch Doctor with the ability to call forth a legion of loyal minions and creatures to aid them in battle. Through this tree, the Witch Doctor becomes a master of summoning, commanding an army of spirits, beasts, and otherworldly entities.

Spell Kit
The Witch Doctor employs a unique and mystical style of spellcasting known as Voodoo Magic. Rooted in ancient traditions and shamanistic rituals, the Witch Doctor channels the potent energies of the spiritual realm to wield their powers. Their spells range from curses that afflict their enemies with misfortune and hexes that twist fate itself, to healing rituals that mend wounds and protective charms that ward off harm. With their deep connection to the spiritual realm, the Witch Doctor is a master of both destructive and restorative magics, bringing forth a mesmerizing display of voodoo prowess that commands the elements and bends reality to their will.

Reagents
Both the Shrunken Head and Voodoo Doll are revered and feared artifacts within voodoo culture, carrying immense spiritual significance and serving as conduits for the Witch Doctor's mastery over the supernatural. These items are not only symbols of their craft but powerful tools in their arsenal, allowing them to tap into the forces of the spiritual realm and wield magic in unique and often mysterious ways.
ImageImage