Make Spell hunter playable + arrows

Fomwaag

Make Spell hunter playable + arrows

Post by Fomwaag » Thu May 04, 2023 12:35 pm

To make spell hunter viable you just need to make a few small changes. First we need a talent that converts AP to SP. This is the priority. This way spell hunters wont be interested in getting sp gear from casters. They would still need agility/attack power like regular hunters. The second change we need to be able to keep dps is to traps (explosive and immolation) scale from spell power. OFC you can also adjust talents as well like improved arcane shot/improved serpent sting doesn't worth 5 talent points right now so you could buff those to be viable choices.
There is a third suggestion: Hunters should be able to poison their arrows / light them on fire / freeze them essentially making their shots to do (partial) magical damage. Either do this by survival (secondary profession) or by hunter skills.

Illyria

Re: Make Spell hunter playable + arrows

Post by Illyria » Thu May 04, 2023 12:55 pm

Hunters feel great. All it takes to give them is a small scaling of the pet from the characteristics of the hunter in the bm branch. To give a new breath of specialization. Sry for my English.

Chronoslicer

Post by Chronoslicer » Thu May 04, 2023 12:58 pm

Fomwaag wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:35 pm
To make spell hunter viable you just need to make a few small changes. First we need a talent that converts AP to SP. This is the priority. This way spell hunters wont be interested in getting sp gear from casters. They would still need agility/attack power like regular hunters. The second change we need to be able to keep dps is to traps (explosive and immolation) scale from spell power. OFC you can also adjust talents as well like improved arcane shot/improved serpent sting doesn't worth 5 talent points right now so you could buff those to be viable choices.
There is a third suggestion: Hunters should be able to poison their arrows / light them on fire / freeze them essentially making their shots to do (partial) magical damage. Either do this by survival (secondary profession) or by hunter skills.
If you convert ap to sp won't all of your physical attacks suffer?

Fomwaag

Post by Fomwaag » Thu May 04, 2023 1:26 pm

Chronoslicer wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:58 pm
Fomwaag wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:35 pm
If you convert ap to sp won't all of your physical attacks suffer?
Thats the point. Your physical attacks would be weaker but your magical attacks like volley, serpent sting, arcane shot would be stronger. Also your traps would be able to deal noticeble damage.

Fomwaag

Post by Fomwaag » Thu May 04, 2023 1:41 pm

Illyria wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:55 pm
Hunters feel great. All it takes to give them is a small scaling of the pet from the characteristics of the hunter in the bm branch. To give a new breath of specialization. Sry for my English.
I don't think so. The problem with hunters is that now with trueshot their rotation is 1 (one) button. It is not even really worth casting multi shot on a single target. Just keep spamming trueshots and you are good to go. Spellhunter on the other hand use magical abilities and traps. Even if it is weaker then the regular attack power stacking hunter it is more interesting playstyle imho.

Balake

Post by Balake » Thu May 04, 2023 4:48 pm

Fomwaag wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:41 pm
I don't think so. The problem with hunters is that now with trueshot their rotation is 1 (one) button. It is not even really worth casting multi shot on a single target. Just keep spamming trueshots and you are good to go. Spellhunter on the other hand use magical abilities and traps. Even if it is weaker then the regular attack power stacking hunter it is more interesting playstyle imho.
Spoken like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. Ask any of the top hunters raiding naxx what their rotation is, then talk. (spoiler: it has multishot, and it can even have serpent sting/arcane shot if they get lucky with procs. It's really a complicated thing to minmax but people regurgitate without knowing anything).

Illyria

Post by Illyria » Thu May 04, 2023 5:37 pm

I still think it's worth adding pet scaling to the talent tree.

Wilsonsds

Post by Wilsonsds » Thu May 04, 2023 5:41 pm

I still think that arrows could be made with BS, as shields.

For arrows, simple wood + the metal bar
For shields, variable recipes
Schala (Priest - Holy)
Lusiena (Warrior - Prot)
Lyane (Rogue - Combat)
Fellem (Hunter - Marks)
Lustrazalux (Mage - Frost)
Gondwana (Warlock - Demo)
Esmeralden (Druid - Resto)
Aldebaran (Shaman - Ele)
Almandinite (Pally - Prot)

Fomwaag

Post by Fomwaag » Thu May 04, 2023 5:51 pm

Balake wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 4:48 pm
Fomwaag wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:41 pm
Spoken like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. Ask any of the top hunters raiding naxx what their rotation is, then talk. (spoiler: it has multishot, and it can even have serpent sting/arcane shot if they get lucky with procs. It's really a complicated thing to minmax but people regurgitate without knowing anything).
I believe you, but you should consider the original suggestion. The suggested change would NOT change the current hunter rotation it would make a different playstyle (kinda) viable.

Fomwaag

Post by Fomwaag » Thu May 04, 2023 5:56 pm

Wilsonsds wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 5:41 pm
I still think that arrows could be made with BS, as shields.

For arrows, simple wood + the metal bar
For shields, variable recipes
I suggested survival because that way hunters can make their own arrows. From a roleplaying perspective that makes more sense to me but I see the reason behind your suggestion as well.

Wilsonsds

Post by Wilsonsds » Thu May 04, 2023 5:58 pm

Well, nothing can say that both profession cant make the same item, but i agree, makes survival has something unique
Schala (Priest - Holy)
Lusiena (Warrior - Prot)
Lyane (Rogue - Combat)
Fellem (Hunter - Marks)
Lustrazalux (Mage - Frost)
Gondwana (Warlock - Demo)
Esmeralden (Druid - Resto)
Aldebaran (Shaman - Ele)
Almandinite (Pally - Prot)