Night Elves.

Chronoslicer

Night Elves.

Post by Chronoslicer » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:35 pm

A racial ability that lets Night Elves move at a static 5 - 10% movement speed while shadowmelded, that cannot be increased by movement enhancing effects, such as swiftness potions, aspect of the pack, etc . They are the masters of warfare, ambush tactics, and the like, I think this change would add a bit of flavor.

Thoughts? Concerns? Let me know what you think.

Syrathegreat

Re: Night Elves.

Post by Syrathegreat » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:53 pm

As in a movement speed buff while stealthed from Shadowmeld?

Honestly I'd mainly like to be able to use it in combat like a soft feign death to reset aggro, like you can in retail. Would give Night Elf a little extra something when currently everything they have is crap; probably worst race mechanically (BiS aesthetically). Haven't thought through the implications of such a change though tbh.
Juniper <Gnomish Cosmonaut Corps> - Hunter | Gnome | 54 | War Mode | S&S
Kyra - Warrior | Night Elf | 25 | HC | S&S | Lorekeeper
Kolgra - Warrior | Orc | 31 | War Mode | S&S
Merry - Paladin | Dwarf | 29 | HC

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:08 pm

He means like a super duper super slow stealth.

Well, this will keep shadowmeld still just as useless in pvp.

I can see the fun flavor for open world

But I can also see people trying to use this to sneak past mobs but being annoyed at the fact the sneaking past is taking them like 2 whole minutes to walk a few yards. This kind of addition adds cockteasing that makes it worse than having a directly worse verison that reigns in the strats.

Eh. Personally I'm rooting for a backport of WotLK's shadowmeld. Good god that version was great for pvp and pve. Would make a strong case for Nelf warriors where right now nelf warriors are by far the worst warrior race.
Zaas - 60 High Elf Warrior
Saere - 60 Night Elf Priest
Splendra - 59 Inferno Mode Warlock
I play a few other classes on my friends' accounts.
Slowly leveling a Resto Dryad and a dorf pally with my buddy.

Syrathegreat

Post by Syrathegreat » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:54 pm

Ugoboom wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:08 pm
Would make a strong case for Nelf warriors where right now nelf warriors are by far the worst warrior race.
Cries in Nelf Warrior main
Juniper <Gnomish Cosmonaut Corps> - Hunter | Gnome | 54 | War Mode | S&S
Kyra - Warrior | Night Elf | 25 | HC | S&S | Lorekeeper
Kolgra - Warrior | Orc | 31 | War Mode | S&S
Merry - Paladin | Dwarf | 29 | HC

Rat2156

Post by Rat2156 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:23 am

Ugoboom wrote:
Eh. Personally I'm rooting for a backport of WotLK's shadowmeld. Good god that version was great for pvp and pve. Would make a strong case for Nelf warriors where right now nelf warriors are by far the worst warrior race.
Nelves are the most based warrior race, which flies far above any notion of performance turtle_tongue

Bloodline1x9

Post by Bloodline1x9 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:27 am

Shadowmeld should work only at night. Just like in the WC3.
Plus in trees and bushes.

But it should work in combat and exit combat if you don't move for 3 seconds, do not attack, do not take any action.
This will help in pvp and pve. Because it will be possible to resurrect after the wipe. Even an engineering device.

There will be interesting properties, pay attention to day / night. (Night elfes must have at least something related to the night bonus.) Tactically choose a place where you can hide.
But cooldown will have to be increased

Teroshan

Post by Teroshan » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:43 am

Ugoboom wrote:
Personally I'm rooting for a backport of WotLK's shadowmeld. Good god that version was great for pvp and pve. Would make a strong case for Nelf warriors where right now nelf warriors are by far the worst warrior race.
Being able to re-stealth, to break a targeted cast feels really good.
As a nelf druid that wants to do some pvp, I obviously wouldn't mind something that can compete with war stomp.
However a buff like this would be a tad too drastic I feel...

I really like the idea of having some link with the night/day cycle though :)

Werefox

Post by Werefox » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:19 am

Bloodline1x9 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:27 am
There will be interesting properties, pay attention to day / night.
And to hell with the people who live in the wrong timezones.

Xero

Post by Xero » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:34 am

Chronoslicer wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:35 pm
A racial ability that lets Night Elves move at a static 5 - 10% movement speed while shadowmelded, that cannot be increased by movement enhancing effects, such as swiftness potions, aspect of the pack, etc . They are the masters of warfare, ambush tactics, and the like, I think this change would add a bit of flavor.

Thoughts? Concerns? Let me know what you think.
Yes, I support this, shadowmeld should definitely be buffed. A static stealth is practically useless.

Giving it a slow movement speed would be appropriate, and say up to 20% speed (less than half of stealth and prowl speed) would make it practically useful without infringing on the superior stealth abilities of rogues and druids.

Giving it an in-combat use is another decent idea, and it this was combined with movement: make it useable in combat, with a 10% movement speed (to compensate for the additional utility).

A day / night use would be painful. Let's not do that, sorry.

Allwynd01
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Allwynd01 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:13 am

It sounds like it turns every Night Elf, regardless of class of a secondary class passive Rogue.

If Shadowmeld can have 1% movement speed - where you are painfully slow but are able to cover a small distance over a large amount of time, then yest, but 5-10% movement speed is too much and can be exploited easily.

Sylveria
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Sylveria » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:00 am

^5-10% is already incredibly slow

Bloodline1x9

Post by Bloodline1x9 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:51 am

Werefox wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:19 am
Bloodline1x9 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:27 am
There will be interesting properties, pay attention to day / night.
And to hell with the people who live in the wrong timezones.
On turtle, the change of day works in such a way that when it is night in Kalimdor, then it is day in the Eastern Kingdoms

Werefox

Post by Werefox » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:24 pm

This only helps fishing which is auxiliary activity anyway. Something as core as a racial power should not depend on being on the right side of the world, your time zone and job schedule permitting.

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:04 pm

Werefox wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:24 pm
This only helps fishing which is auxiliary activity anyway. Something as core as a racial power should not depend on being on the right side of the world, your time zone and job schedule permitting.
big agree

At least when later wow does the thing with haste at night, crit at day, like at least those are almost identical stats, and your gameplay is not fundamentally changed.

If wow ran on a 1 hour = 1 day cycle so everyone who plays at all times of the IRL day, could experience this, then yeah i'd be supportive.

Its one thing when you as a kid in 2006 stayed up late one night and then heard night time dun morough music for the first time. But gameplay being affected? god that would feel awful.
Zaas - 60 High Elf Warrior
Saere - 60 Night Elf Priest
Splendra - 59 Inferno Mode Warlock
I play a few other classes on my friends' accounts.
Slowly leveling a Resto Dryad and a dorf pally with my buddy.

Studbucket

Post by Studbucket » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:24 pm

Is the day/night concern mitigated somewhat by the fact that "it's always night somewhere" since the 2 continents are 12 hours apart?
Member of <Grey Haven>. Mains: Koukouvagia, Awsploda, Gordoba.

Werefox

Post by Werefox » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:49 pm

We JUST addressed this. No, it is not mitigated at all. It would merely create a uniquely gimped race whose power only works on one of the continents, depending on when you get to play UST wise.

Somehow nobody rushes in with creative ideas about how Tauren racial should only work in grasslands, etc.

Pahacsinta

Post by Pahacsinta » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:50 pm

Wrath nelf in vanilla would be insanely busted but fun

Studbucket

Post by Studbucket » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:06 pm

Werefox wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:49 pm
We JUST addressed this. No, it is not mitigated at all. It would merely create a uniquely gimped race whose power only works on one of the continents, depending on when you get to play UST wise.

Somehow nobody rushes in with creative ideas about how Tauren racial should only work in grasslands, etc.
that's because Stomp was not based on location in WC3.

This idea is clearly trying to keep the spirit of WC3. It might be a bad idea, but equating it to war stomp is not the same or in the spirit of the question.
Member of <Grey Haven>. Mains: Koukouvagia, Awsploda, Gordoba.

Werefox

Post by Werefox » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:04 am

Except, of course, this is not WC3. This is entirely different game with its own clock.

BTW initially WoW was supposed to have meaningful day/night cycle, that might have included Shadowmeld only working at night. But then somebody almost as bright as I am (I am being sarcastic here) pointed at the glaringly obvious problem - and the whole thing was scrapped together with WC3 spirit.