Best healing class end game?

Scriss

Best healing class end game?

Post by Scriss » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:44 am

I am thinking of rolling a healing class. I like all the healing classes, but which one is best or in most demand end game for pve and pvp? Any suggestions would be nice since I am new.

Mcnair

Re: Best healing class end game?

Post by Mcnair » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:25 am

Good day.
I would suggest to roll whichever class you are most happy with, healers tend to be in demand overall.
If you still want some pointers, here are some for PvE:
All healer classes are capable to top healing meters, if that is your goal.
Druids, being HoT based, are generally required in fewer numbers, as only 1 HoT from each type can be active on any raid member.
Paladins are great whack-a-mole healers with their very fast heals, and they have a hard time to run out of mana, if ever. There are a 'few' people in turtle that insist of playing them as DPS for some reason though, but that was never intended. :)
Shamans are really shining with their chain heal, you can do whole raids without ever casting another heal. With t1 equipped they are also not bad at single target healing. And of course all shamans bring their totems regardless of spec, so they are welcome in large numbers. There are (almost) never enough resto shamans at lvl 60.
Priests have the highest variety and biggest heals to offer. Every raid likes to have some of them around to keep the tanks alive.
For PvP, I am sure others could give you better insight than I do, but here are a few (take them with a pinch of salt):
Druids are great healers (and all else, too) in PvP, having countermeasures against most types of CC, and they can root, stun, charge, travel form, etc
Paladins with the local changes can dish out incredible damage even as healers, while being inside a tin can with an optional bubble layer, while still being good healers.
Shamans suffer from having fewer options against most types of CC, but if played right, you can still have nice utility with your totems.
Priests are still great healers, but being clothies they are of course somewhat fragile.

Scriss

Post by Scriss » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:35 pm

Thx 4 the feedback.

Allwynd01
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Allwynd01 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:34 am

I've never played a healer, but I'd say Priest is the best healer as this is its primary purpose and all the other healers like Paladin, Druid, Shaman are just jack of all trades, master of none.

They will never be better healers than a Priest.
A Paladin will never be a better Tank or DPS than a Warrior.
A Druid will never be a better Tank or DPS than a Warrior.
A Shaman will never be a better Ranged DPS than a Mage or maybe even Warlock. A melee Shaman is also subpar to every other melee class, it's fun and different, but not as effective.

Eldirian

Post by Eldirian » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:42 am

Allwynd01 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:34 am
I've never played a healer, but I'd say Priest is the best healer as this is its primary purpose and all the other healers like Paladin, Druid, Shaman are just jack of all trades, master of none.

They will never be better healers than a Priest.
A Paladin will never be a better Tank or DPS than a Warrior.
A Druid will never be a better Tank or DPS than a Warrior.
A Shaman will never be a better Ranged DPS than a Mage or maybe even Warlock. A melee Shaman is also subpar to every other melee class, it's fun and different, but not as effective.
This. And this is how it should remain. Despite idiotic "suggestions" of equalizing the classes. Period.

Allwynd01
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Allwynd01 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:23 am

Eldirian wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:42 am

This. And this is how it should remain. Despite idiotic "suggestions" of equalizing the classes. Period.
That's the problem that arose when a lot of new players came to the server - they think this is some fun server and if they post all their weird, childish and unrealistic suggestions they just might make it into the game.

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:26 pm

These replies above...
how about we make you a server where you can only make warriors, priests and mages? no other classes allowed?
all of the classes mentioned make great healers, druids weaker due to not having an out of combat rez, but that is only a potential issue in dungeons, not raids.
The difference between a well geared priest, druid, shaman or pally is minor, you're talking a couple of percentage points. Irrelevant

Spoing

Post by Spoing » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:31 pm

Paladins are the most mana efficient healers. They can spam flash of light to keep the tank going for a long time. They also have nice blessings and an aura. Blessing of prot and lay on hands lets them help out in panic situations.
Priests are very versatile. They have good single target healing with heal, they have a group heal with prayer of healing, they have a healing of time with renew, they also have a stam/spirit buff/shadow res buff. Its a very safe class to pick since they are good at everything.
Shamans are not as efficient, but chainheal heals between raid groups, unlike prayer of healing, which makes them good at AOE healing. They also bring totems, which are nice since they now work with paladin buffs. Resurrection lets you recover from a wipe. Shamans are also pretty rare.
Druids have good healing over time, bring innervate and a combat resurrection. Mark of the wild is a very strong buff too. The only problem is that in 5mans your resurrection is on a long CD. So if 2 people die you have to wait. Not to mention it takes away your combat res for actually ressing in combat.
One thing you should also consider is that priests are best for healing during leveling. Druids/shamans/paladins want str/agi to maximize their leveling potential. This means that they are pretty weak at dungeon healing. At a boss they might find themselves running out of mana quickly. And if your party keeps moving without letting you drink often you can struggle to heal during trash. Priests already want spirit/int for leveling and can keep up a lot better.

As for the other discussion. In the "countdown to classic" podcast the developer of the classes talks about hybrids/parent classes. The idea was that hybrids would be about 15% weaker in the different specs, but they would switch between them. A paladin would do some damage, step back to throw out a heal, then go back in. Which is why flash of light is so mana efficient. All the specs were supposed to be viable, but when that didnt work they made sure every class at least had one viable spec. Which meant the later Tier sets were statted for healing.
In TBC and especially wrath they just changed it to everyone being equal, and hybrids just picking their only job in a raid by speccing/gearing appropriately.

Oaknowledgedwow

Post by Oaknowledgedwow » Wed May 10, 2023 5:04 am

Eldirian wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:42 am

Sure, if you're going for Authentic 'how MMO's were 20 years ago' then yeah It should be as close to Vanilla WoW, back when the MMO landscape was fresh and developers didn't realize that balancing classes to be closer to each other in terms of viability while also giving them unique things they could do was much healthier for longevity of games

I'm not saying reinvent the wheel, but your wheel is a flat tire. To really get that flat tire feel again you need to replicate it, holes and all

Wilsonsds

Post by Wilsonsds » Wed May 10, 2023 5:08 am

I recommend leveling a priest, holy from the start, healing all dungeons along the way
Schala (Priest - Holy)
Lusiena (Warrior - Prot)
Lyane (Rogue - Combat)
Fellem (Hunter - Marks)
Lustrazalux (Mage - Frost)
Gondwana (Warlock - Demo)
Esmeralden (Druid - Resto)
Aldebaran (Shaman - Ele)
Almandinite (Pally - Prot)

Takinsur

Post by Takinsur » Wed May 10, 2023 12:57 pm

Shamans are always in demand. For pvp, horde needs more priests just for dispels

Scriss

Post by Scriss » Thu May 11, 2023 6:46 am

Are shamans good at surviving since Shamans I hear are semi tanks in Turtle?

Xerilin
Has liked: 14 times

Post by Xerilin » Thu May 11, 2023 6:57 am

Scriss wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 6:46 am
Are shamans good at surviving since Shamans I hear are semi tanks in Turtle?
They are pretty tanky, especially with a shield, they have healing spells and they are good at running away due to totems. So yes, definately.
Komm zur Geheimen Zuflucht (RP-Gilde)! Wir haben Zimtschnecken!

Alienne Xerilin Rubinai Irrwisch Mekhalani Flinks Kinrela Cavy

Bayanni

Post by Bayanni » Sat May 13, 2023 5:55 am

If you're planning to heal all the way through Naxx, I can say every class is needed to some degree usually, but druids are generally treated the worst overall and several guilds just won't give them healing gear until everyone else has it first. I'd honestly recommend dwarf priest, any paladin, or any shaman over them unless you plan on being an officer in a raiding guild. This is very dependent on timezone.