Shifting Marksmanship Hunter towards a Petless Option

Chronoslicer

Shifting Marksmanship Hunter towards a Petless Option

Post by Chronoslicer » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:19 pm

Though i do love the added gameplay options and pet management as a whole, i feel as though there should be an option for a hunter to go petless, either through a talent or passive buff.

There are plenty of examples of marksmen, rangers, and the like that boast superior ranged capabilities without having the use of a pet in warcraft history/lore, and i feel this would be a nice addition to the game if implemented correctly

I am not a designer, but i think a talent that gives you benefits from not having a pet summoned, like a flat increase to damage to even out the loss of pet damage, or a unique utility that would help them to stand out a bit would be nice.

There would have to be drawback or some type of mechanic difference to keep it a little interesting and to keep it from being op, but i think it would add some spice to the game, in addition to being lore friendly.

What are your thoughts? Concerns?

Gantulga

Re: Shifting Marksmanship Hunter towards a Petless Option

Post by Gantulga » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:36 pm

No. Hunters are already mindless to play here and that'd make it even worse.

Cervantes

Post by Cervantes » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:43 pm

I've always liked this idea, making the hunter more like an archer or ranger?

Maybe not having a pet increase your base stats, or you open up some different skills to help fill the void of not having a pet.
Seymour Siegfried Jones
Holy Knight

Cervantes

Post by Cervantes » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:46 pm

I also like a new spell that I thought of that you get from Beast Mastery tree at the bottom called "Calling the Wild"
Your pets, including the ones in the stables, appear at your side in battle for 30 secs
1 hour cooldown....
Seymour Siegfried Jones
Holy Knight

Heine

Post by Heine » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:48 pm

It's not like we dont have 50 hunters per battleground already facerolling multishots and viper stings,

Maesus

Post by Maesus » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:51 pm

Gantulga wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:36 pm
How? Pet management is one thing but pets alone make hunter leveling so mindless. Just send your pet in and be careful to not steal aggro. And what do you mean "here"? You have some minor changes + attack speed boost, and then Trueshot, which doesn't add anything new, you just weave it in between your auto shots.

Withou a pet, you'd have to maintain your distance and keep moving. Having a pet tank is the mindless option.
Last edited by Maesus on Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ravenstone
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Ravenstone » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:52 pm

I don't particularly like the idea of rewarding Hunters for not using their pet, especially not something to replace the damage they get from their pet.

Having said that, I've thought having a more utility style pet that didn't attack could be cool. Kinda harkening back to the WC3 Owl Scout skill.

Chronoslicer

Post by Chronoslicer » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:57 pm

Gantulga wrote:
While i do agree that the gameplay for hunters is relaxed, you can say that for most other, if not all classes. How exactly do you think it would make it worse, if you dont mind elaborating

Gantulga

Post by Gantulga » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:11 pm

Chronoslicer wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:57 pm
Gantulga wrote:
While i do agree that the gameplay for hunters is relaxed, you can say that for most other, if not all classes. How exactly do you think it would make it worse, if you dont mind elaborating
Trueshot dumbed down the hunter gameplay quite a lot. Removing the pet from the equation would only make it worse.
There are also PvP concerns since hunters already have high burst and pressure.

Fixaren1

Post by Fixaren1 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:06 pm

Imo hunters are most likely strongest class in pvp, in ab and wsg they have high control over the battle. Make them stronger would be bad. Hard to kill and do high DMG with mana burn and great cc. Can't give hunters more DMG/cc or survival. So what are the buff gonna be if you don't use pet? If you stand still for 15-20 sec give x% amount DMG maybe would work.

Chronoslicer

Post by Chronoslicer » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:14 am

Fixaren1 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:06 pm
Imo hunters are most likely strongest class in pvp, in ab and wsg they have high control over the battle. Make them stronger would be bad. Hard to kill and do high DMG with mana burn and great cc. Can't give hunters more DMG/cc or survival. So what are the buff gonna be if you don't use pet? If you stand still for 15-20 sec give x% amount DMG maybe would work.
i was thinking a overall drastic reduced chance to hit with ranged weapons while moving, and a boost to base dmg when standing still, as one thing

Werefox

Post by Werefox » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:23 am

Yep. Let's penalize the playstyle that requires any sort of skill at all and reward roleplay of a talking turret.

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:48 pm

It would take a lot of work to add complexity to the marksman nopet build, that would be lost in the removal of their pet. A bad simplification of thegame. Just like the new steadyshot was, it simplified hunter for the worse.

Yes I do agree we should see pet scaling with stats so they arent as irrelevant at 60. And for BM and survival to be viable for endgame 60 raiding.

With a total rework yeah I could see marksman finding balance as a nopet option but with a way harder rotation involving aimed shot etc. Something harder than we've ever seen in vanilla.
Zaas - 60 High Elf Warrior
Saere - 60 Night Elf Priest
Splendra - 59 Inferno Mode Warlock
I play a few other classes on my friends' accounts.
Slowly leveling a Resto Dryad and a dorf pally with my buddy.

Ninoa

Post by Ninoa » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:26 pm

Ugoboom wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:48 pm
It would take a lot of work to add complexity to the marksman nopet build, that would be lost in the removal of their pet. A bad simplification of thegame. Just like the new steadyshot was, it simplified hunter for the worse.

Yes I do agree we should see pet scaling with stats so they arent as irrelevant at 60. And for BM and survival to be viable for endgame 60 raiding.

With a total rework yeah I could see marksman finding balance as a nopet option but with a way harder rotation involving aimed shot etc. Something harder than we've ever seen in vanilla.
Not considering melee weaving, how did trueshot simplify hunter for the worse? Clunky aimed shot got replaced with trueshot, but you still weave in multishot and need to time your autoshots. With a weapon slow enough, you can now even add arcane shot or serpent sting to the rotation. If anything, the pure ranged rotation got more interesting, imho.

That said, I do agree adding a petless option for a damage increase would be a bad simplification of the hunter class.

Ugoboom

Post by Ugoboom » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:11 pm

Ninoa wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:26 pm
Not considering melee weaving, how did trueshot simplify hunter for the worse? Clunky aimed shot got replaced with trueshot, but you still weave in multishot and need to time your autoshots. With a weapon slow enough, you can now even add arcane shot or serpent sting to the rotation. If anything, the pure ranged rotation got more interesting, imho.

That said, I do agree adding a petless option for a damage increase would be a bad simplification of the hunter class.
You can't just say "not considering meele weaving" lmao. Yes consider it. It was based and vanilla pilled. Sure, meele weaving in our balancing was a total meme and often a dps loss, but tuning it so that it actually functioned and worked woulda been awesome. An interesting way for minmaxers to squeeze every bit of their class out and use spells that are otherwise never used. I don't see a single possible way it could return with trueshot as we have it. Maybe with trueshot as designed pre 1.16.1 where it has a cooldown based on weapon speed.

No aimed shot is a loss I feel. People love big phatty hits every so often. MS/BT and HS, 5pt evisc, stormstrike, Holy strike, raptor strike, everyone phys has these. Hunter lost theirs other than on cheeky prepull casts and idk man I think thats' a loss. I'd like to see it return alongside trueshot, not replaced by it.
Zaas - 60 High Elf Warrior
Saere - 60 Night Elf Priest
Splendra - 59 Inferno Mode Warlock
I play a few other classes on my friends' accounts.
Slowly leveling a Resto Dryad and a dorf pally with my buddy.