New To Wow Need Help

Ahia

New To Wow Need Help

Post by Ahia » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:25 pm

Hello.. I'm New To Wow And I Wanted To Go Hunter For The Taming Skills
My Character Is A High Elf But I Cannot Seem To Figure Out Where To Get The Quest Could Someone Help Me :)
I'm Level 7 And Made It too Stormwind City
How Do I Get Taming?
Thank You!

Werefox

Re: New To Wow Need Help

Post by Werefox » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:38 pm

you need level 10 for that iirc

Ahia

Post by Ahia » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:50 pm

oh ok thank you so much :) hopefully I am on the right path just following quests

Allwynd01

Post by Allwynd01 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:26 am

I remember having a High Elf Hunter around 2021 and got the taming skill, but I'm not 100% sure what the process was. Just get to level 10 and go to the Hunter trainers in Stormwind and see what's up. Alternatively, you can go to Dun Morogh or Teldrassil and try to do the quest from there, but no guarantee it will work.

If you are really new to WoW and haven't played before, after you tame your pet (the taming quest will have 3 trials to tame 3 different temporary pets) which you have to tame yourself after, based on their species - Boar, Cat, Wolf, Bear, Spider, they eat different food to keep their Happiness level high

- Cats - fish, meat
- Wolves - meat
- Bears - meat, cheese, fruits
- Boars - fruits
- Spiders - no idea, but I would guess meat

You need to keep your pet fed until you reach loyalty level 6 Best Friend, which happens when you and your pet kill mobs. After that its happiness will stabilize and drop really slowly, only when it dies. I think if you die before your pet, it despawns and doesn't lose happiness.

Maesus

Post by Maesus » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:34 am

Ahia wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:50 pm
oh ok thank you so much :) hopefully I am on the right path just following quests
I'm just gonna write out a little outline for you because even veteran players can struggle with the vanilla hunter mechanics crying_turtle

So, at level 10, every class gets a unique quest chain, starting in your level 5 questing town: for hunters, this chain results in obtaining our first pet.
Read the quests carefully, they tell you which beasts to tame and how to do it. You will need to tame 3 pets by using an item supplied to you by the quest giver, then bring these pets back to the quest giver as a proof of your skill.
Tip: once each beast is delivered and each quest is checked as completed, you can right-click on the beast's portrait and "abandon" them (you wouldn't be able to keep them anyway, they are on a timer - by abandoning them, you simply speed up the process and can proceed to the next beast)

Once you do all three beasts, you will be given some abilities and sent to another trainer, this time in the capital city.
Here you will obtain more abilities, which you will need to keep your future pets happy.

Now you can head out into the wild and get any pet of your choice, but keep in mind that not all beasts are tameable (deer, for example), and that to successfully tame one, it must be a lowel level than you.

Once you have the pet, you can rename it (only once per pet), as every new pet automatically gets a generic name. You can tame a Nightsaber, for example, but after taming it, it will simply be called Cat.

At this point you can also open your Character tab and you'll see a subtab, Pet.
There, in the upper-left corner, is a green icon of a smiling face: hower over it and you'll see what food your pet likes to eat. Some pets are more picky (cats) some will eat just about anything (boars).

You need to keep the food your pet likes to eat on hand and feed them often!

Next to your character's portrait, you'll see your pet's portrait with the same smiling face icon next to it, but this one will most likely be yellow or red. Yellow means that they're okay, but you should feed them soon. Red means that they're ready to leave you and you won't see them again. To keep your pet, you have to keep that icon green by feeding them.

This is quite time consuming and also takes some cash, as you have to buy food for the pet. However, it gets easier as you and your pet "develop a bond" -- every pet starts as "rebellious" and you have to feed it very often. Over time, your pet will become your "best friend" and will require feeding only once in a while.
More info: https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Loyalty

Now, the last thing is learning abilities:
Aside from simply learning basic abilities from Pet Trainer (usually next to Hunter Trainers), any pet can learn unique abilities. To see what abilities your pet can learn, see: https://www.wow-petopia.com/classic/abilities.php.

To teach your pet a unique ability, you have to place them in a stable and go out into the wild, search out a beast which already knows the ability you're looking for, the website above will provide this info.
You tame this beast, open your spellbook and go the the Pet tab at the bottom. Right-click on their abilities to make them auto-used (you'll see a golden border around the ability). Then you just need to send this new (and disposable) pet into battle and let them use their ability. Eventually, and this could take 5 seconds or 5 minutes, you'll see a message in chat that you've learned that ability (from observing that pet). At this point, you can abandon this pet, go back to the stable, take your pet back and teach them this new ability by opening your "Beast Training" spell from the "General" tab of your spellbook.

I know it's a lot to take in and it looks like a mess, and it is, but as you level up, it will take more and more time for your pet to be eligible for new abilities so you'll only need to go through that process a few times per pet (you can have up to three).

I hope this little pocket guide helped, and I hope you enjoy your stay on the server :)

Ahia

Post by Ahia » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:41 am

wow thank you so much everyone for the quest info and feeding info
I got the quest but i can't seem to figure out how to get to dun morogh i went to the city stormwind but its just a giant maze
is there a dif way to get there maybe easier? my hunter is weak i cant seem to figure out how to craft bows i did buy a dagger from the auction house and i'm learning leather crafting

Landcrow

Post by Landcrow » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:43 pm

Ahia wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:41 am
wow thank you so much everyone for the quest info and feeding info
I got the quest but i can't seem to figure out how to get to dun morogh i went to the city stormwind but its just a giant maze
is there a dif way to get there maybe easier? my hunter is weak i cant seem to figure out how to craft bows i did buy a dagger from the auction house and i'm learning leather crafting
Dwarven discrit of Stormwind > Deeprun tram > ironforge > Dun Morogh satisfied_turtle_head

Ahia

Post by Ahia » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:33 pm

tysm Landcrow!!!

Realdecker

Post by Realdecker » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:12 am

Maesus wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:34 am
Ahia wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:50 pm
At this point you can also open your Character tab and you'll see a subtab, Pet.
There, in the upper-left corner, is a green icon of a smiling face: hower over it and you'll see what food your pet likes to eat. Some pets are more picky (cats) some will eat just about anything (boars).

You need to keep the food your pet likes to eat on hand and feed them often!

Next to your character's portrait, you'll see your pet's portrait with the same smiling face icon next to it, but this one will most likely be yellow or red. Yellow means that they're okay, but you should feed them soon. Red means that they're ready to leave you and you won't see them again. To keep your pet, you have to keep that icon green by feeding them.

This is quite time consuming and also takes some cash, as you have to buy food for the pet. However, it gets easier as you and your pet "develop a bond" -- every pet starts as "rebellious" and you have to feed it very often. Over time, your pet will become your "best friend" and will require feeding only once in a while.
More info: https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Loyalty

Pet feeding is broken and not live-like (I had a 60 hunter in 2004-2006) and must be a Turtle unique thing to force players to rethink the popular class. I've tried leveling 2 pets, 3 levels each, maintaining 125% happiness for max loyalty gain = no loyalty improvement.

If Turtle's intent was to just make some aspect of hunter annoying, I get it, but every classic hunter player knows you pay the price when most groups would rather take a mage in green gear over a hunter in blue/purple.

So what gives?

Hctwowfan

Post by Hctwowfan » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:30 am

The annoying part is that it takes 30 seconds for the pet to eat and you're just standing next to it doing nothing at all in that time because it will cancel the effect when it engages in combat. Feed it from red to green with low food that only grants 8 or 17 happiness per tick instead of the 35 xD
Exlusively playing hc, alive toons below
Immortal Nikora Halazi Mbamba Ofofu Qsetmizi Qsetnizi
59.99 Qiri Byomvin Toraya Bjomvin Peppa Tepsi Ufofo Yolani Ygritt Rhanja Yolari Qsetlizi Bsomdi Kiri Nemsi Ufufo Ofufu
50+ Oronil Lenymo