Turn Starshards into a dot, it's the only way to compete with High Elf&Dorf

Nightowl

Turn Starshards into a dot, it's the only way to compete with High Elf&Dorf

Post by Nightowl » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:40 pm

Fear immunity on Dwarf and 20% mana regeneration on High Elf is too busted to compete with for Night elves. 50% dodge is change in right direction, but at the end of the day it's still too meme to compete.

With Starshard change from Channel to Dot, Night Elves will actually have a powerful single target niche. Balance is already thrown out of window with Paladin, so you might as well make life easier for the objectively superior Priest Choice which is Tyrande wanna-be roleplay.

Geojak
Has liked: 8 times

Re: Turn Starshards into a dot, it's the only way to compete with High Elf&Dorf

Post by Geojak » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:00 pm

I was told fear ward is all priest now. A gm said that even but I don't think it's really how it is. Can you confirm?

Nightowl

Post by Nightowl » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:22 pm

Geojak wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:00 pm
I was told fear ward is all priest now. A gm said that even but I don't think it's really how it is. Can you confirm?
Just checked trainer, it isn't. But I checked the starter area trainer, I'll give it a run to main city next time I log in on my priest.

Karrados

Post by Karrados » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:22 pm

The Fear ward is incredibly shit. It's the one that is granted by going down the Holy Path and the Proclaim Champion Talent. It lasts about 10 seconds or something like that and has a 5-6 minute cooldown.

At least I have not seen any other Fear ward-esque talent/spell aside from that one.

Thraxexus

Post by Thraxexus » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:10 pm

+1 nelf priest racials are really bad i also though fear ward would be learned from trainer but it being deep in holy tree is really bad plus my priest racials are never useful

Mativh

Post by Mativh » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:57 am

Starshards are individual missiles, not a curse, bleed, burn, poison etc. They are not a dot, nor a channeled dot, what its doing is for the duration of the channeling (which is ment to be a battle-prayer to Elune) individual starshards are one after another falling down on the enemy. Mind Flay on the other hand is supposed to be a continuous assault on the enemies mind qith shadow energy, which is not quantified like missiles are, but it is one thing happening over a period of time, so Starshards and Mind Flay are very distinct things. Mind Flay is actually a channelled dot, Stsrshards is not.

It's as if Arcane Missiles or Rain of Fire was asked to be turned into a dot.

To be more grounded, see the origin; it was inspired by the ultimate ability of the Priestess of the Moon from Warcraft 3:

Starfall
Calls down waves of falling stars that damage nearby enemy units. Each wave deals 50 damage. The time between waves is 1.5 seconds.

Starfal of W3 is an aoe ability,
where stars fall down on nearby enemies.
In WoW it got turned into a single target ability;
Starshards, where a star falls on a single target every x secs while channeling.

If anything, Starshards should be made to be able to crit, just like Arcane Missiles does.
That'd be a step in the right direction.

named Firmament or Star Weaving
6 ranks; rank 1 of Firmament learned when rank 2 of Starshards is learned, at 18/26/34/42/50/58
"Increases the critical chance of Starshards by 3/4/5/6/7/8% and decreases the pushback by 30/40/50/60/70/80%."

This should turn Starshards into a more considerable alternative to other offensive spells and give it a better sense of progression during levelling, as other spells gain bonuses from talents.

This way through racial passives with ranks taught at the class trainer, by the way, classes could get racial pseudo-talents that make the class more unique and lore-accurate depending on the race of choice, without having to modify the talent tree for specific race/class combinations.
Last edited by Mativh on Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

De-standardization of Classes - Immersive Racials [Undead]
My FB

Rafale

Post by Rafale » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:46 am

Mativh wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:57 am
Starshards are individual missiles, not a curse, bleed, burn, poison etc.

It's as if Arcane Missiles was asked to be turned into a dot.

It was inspired by the ultimate ability of the Priestess of the Moon from Warcraft 3:

Starfall
Calls down waves of falling stars that damage nearby enemy units. Each wave deals 50 damage. The time between waves is 1.5 seconds.

An aoe ability, where stars fall down on nearby enemies, that got turned into a single target ability Starshards, where a star falls on a single target every x secs while channeling.

If anything, it should be made to be able to crit, just like arcane missiles can crit.
That'd be a step in the right direction.

Add to it:

Night Elf Priest only passive:

Zin-Al-Elune (Glory of Elune in Darnassian)
or Firmament
or Star Weaving
6 ranks; rank 1 of Firmament learned when rank 2 of Starshards is learned, at 18/26/34/42/50/58
"Increases the critical chance of Starshards by 3/6/7/8/9/10% and decreases the pushback by 30/40/50/60/70/80%."

This should turn Starshards into a more considerable alternative to other offensive spells and give it a better sense of progression during levelling, as other spells gain bonuses from talents.

This way through racial passives with ranks taught at the class trainer, by the way, classes could get racial pseudo-talents that make the class more unique and lore-accurate depending on the race of choice, without having to modify the talent tree for specific race/class combinations.
Disagree. I much prefer starshards as its tbc version.

It would also create more synergy with elune grace because you can't dodge while channeling/casting so the 50% dodge is useful only if you use instant spells.

The second solution I see if you really want to keep the channeling effect is making starshards aoe around the target.
I always follow those rules for suggestion :
1) Does it answer the class/spec problem ?
2) Does it keep the class identity ?
3) Does it keep the vanilla gameplay of the class/spec ?
4) Is it balanced (not OP) ?

Blackduck

Post by Blackduck » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:14 pm

Starshards is already a channeled dot like mind flay. It's not like arcane missiles at all.

I'd rather starshards just do it's initial damage but also an aoe splash around the target. I think that would be cool. This way priests will have a way to aoe at range and shadowpriests will have some aoe if they decide to go night elf.

Wrathweaver

Post by Wrathweaver » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:09 pm

NO NO :(, please keep vanilla channeled starshard.
I have a lot of fun with that spell while lvling a NE.

Creates variety for NE priest, can go disc and starshard with power word shield satisfied_turtle_head

Edit: 1+ to Mativhs suggestion about crit but i dont think it should be as high as suggested though, but the pushback reduction might be overpowered.
Great Sun and Glorious Leader of the Bring Back Judgement of the Crusader movement.

Rafale

Post by Rafale » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:43 pm

Wrathweaver wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:09 pm
NO NO :(, please keep vanilla channeled starshard.
I have a lot of fun with that spell while lvling a NE.

Creates variety for NE priest, can go disc and starshard with power word shield satisfied_turtle_head

Edit: 1+ to Mativhs suggestion about crit but i dont think it should be as high as suggested though, but the pushback reduction might be overpowered.

If it stays as it is currently, it has 0 uses honestly. It needs a massive buff
I always follow those rules for suggestion :
1) Does it answer the class/spec problem ?
2) Does it keep the class identity ?
3) Does it keep the vanilla gameplay of the class/spec ?
4) Is it balanced (not OP) ?

Ashstache

Post by Ashstache » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:34 pm

It has zero real use as a channeled spell

Natuaduck

Post by Natuaduck » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:25 pm

I know this is an old thread, but being new to playing a Priest and coming from Everquest as well as p1999, Starshards has been genuinely amazing while leveling. Mana Efficiency goes a LONG way in saving time while leveling and killing mobs.

Starshards deals its damage over 6 seconds with a one time mana cost. It deals the same damage as two mind blasts, or two smites at half the mana cost. Calculating it out, Mind Flay only outdamages Starshards once all five stacks of Shadow Weaving are applied and in Shadowform for a total of +30% damage.
  • PW:Shield -> Open with Holy Fire (once you get it), Mind Blast (low cast time), Starshards (one time cast of 6 seconds means that once it's done casting, your mana starts regenerating), Wand to finish.
Typically this brings the mob down to half health then you Wand to finish it off. In that time wanding you regenerate most of the mana spent as you only spend about 25% of your mana per fight. The mob almost never breaks my Shield except on the rare rare chance that stuff gets resisted over and over.

Having leveled up to 38 thusly, I never need to stop and drink water and I just keep going with the flow of the game. In short, Night Elves have the benefit of Starshards which is a completely free and great ability as it is regardless of your spec and is great for leveling.