Inner Fire Idea

Rhythmfish

Inner Fire Idea

Post by Rhythmfish » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:34 pm

Current Inner Fire:
Static armor buff and static attack power buff. Self cast only.

So, what if inner fire was made castable on other players? Sort of like the way you made Lightning Shield. I always found it odd that it wasn't that way since it was a friendly buff in WC3. It gives armor and attack power, which to me sounds like it would be great on classes other than priests.

Proposed Inner Fire:
Exactly the same, just castable on other players or party members.

Mativh

Re: Inner Fire Idea

Post by Mativh » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:03 pm

During WoWs development, the Discipline Priest was planned to be a monk-like spec, either fighting bare handed, fist weapons or with staves, inner fire was one of the core abilities ment to provide physical protection as it was going to be mostly a melee spec that wears cloth. Before release this concept was scrapped and it was reworked, but inner fire remained as well as some other things.
(Enhancement shaman was going to be a tank spec, equivalent of the alliances prot paladin, then it got changed before release, but it has some vestigial things as well)

In W3 it was a friendly buff, but it should be noted that WoW started to be developed during the W3 development, not after W3 got released, so it isn't clear what the reasoning was for inner fire to be a friendly buff in W3, and why/when it was decided that it shouldn't be so in WoW.

For the original melee-monk Discipline, it made sense for inner fire to be on self only, as it is a result of meditation, rather than a blessing. With the current Discipline priest, it isn't so clear, also because the W3 priests could cast it on friendly targets.
The lore of the Discipline spec we have now should be defined first (it can differ for each race as not all are priests the same way), and then it could be easier to decide if inner fire should work as a buff on others or only on self, or be changed in any other way.

I've been using it in hardcore and it makes a noticeable difference.
Last edited by Mativh on Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:34 pm, edited 12 times in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

De-standardization of Classes - Immersive Racials [Undead]
My FB

Spriggit

Post by Spriggit » Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:02 pm

Had no idea that Discipline was supposed to be a monk-like melee Priest.. How cool would that be?! I think most priests would jump for joy for some variety in their spec builds besides holy healer/dps shadow.

Kairion

Post by Kairion » Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:35 pm

The last thing the game needs is more attackpower buffs for warriors.

Rhythmfish

Post by Rhythmfish » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:19 pm

Kairion wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:35 pm
Man, that's true. I just want that spell to be more meaningful and do something other than take up space in the spellbook.

Mativh

Post by Mativh » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:48 pm

Rhythmfish wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:19 pm
I just want that spell to be more meaningful and do something other than take up space in the spellbook.
Inner Fire ability reworked:
A burst of Holy energy fills the caster, increasing armor by 40% of your Spirit. Each melee or ranged damage hit against the priest will remove one charge (each charge is an equivalent of 2% of your spirit granted as armor). Lasts 10 min or until 20 charges are used.

Improved Inner Fire talent reworked:
Increases the armor bonus from Inner Fire by an additional 20/30/40% of your Spirit.

This would make the ability more dynamic, as well as the levelling and gear progression more rewarding for a discipline priest. And it does make sense to tie it with the priests spirit, as it is supposed to be the source of what this ability provides, or more exactly the capacity of the priest to tap into that source.
Last edited by Mativh on Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

My FB

Kairion

Post by Kairion » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:21 pm

I always thougt of inner fire as useless until i made a habit of buffing it for leveling. There its actually quite decent since it makes you quite a bit tankier

This being said, it looses quite a lot of value once your gear gets better. But i think its role as a self protection spell should be maintained.

Making it scale with spirit here is in my opinion a questionable decision, as the spell is most useful if your gear is bad.

I think adding a spell pushback protection while its active could be nice. Encounters with raidwide aoe are annoying since they cause spell pushback. Usually the damage is too high/frequent for pw shield to take care of it. Maybe adding a pushback protection (and debatably adding extra charges baseline or with the talent) could ease these encounters if you happen to not have a paladin in your group

Mativh

Post by Mativh » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:58 pm

Spriggit wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:02 pm
Had no idea that Discipline was supposed to be a monk-like melee Priest.. How cool would that be?! I think most priests would jump for joy for some variety in their spec builds besides holy healer/dps shadow.
It'd be interesting to make a monk-like melee discipline priest (or an effective non-shadow spellcaster), with some of the discipline talents/abilities reworked. Once I've tried to make one with what is in the game, sort of as a challenge. As an enha shaman there is still enough things remaining to be able to make an efficient tank in dungeons. Discipline has some vestigial talents/abilities, but not as much, and right now doesn't have a very defined identity beyond being a support for holy. The foundation is there as most talents are dealing with willpower, damage mitigation and empowering spells and oneself.

My FB

Geojak

Post by Geojak » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:51 am

Kairion wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:35 pm
Just buff them warriors. What does it even matter. Maybe the holy champion could also make it that inner fire gets buffed vothcon yourself and your champion

Kairion

Post by Kairion » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:48 pm

Geojak wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:51 am
Just buff them warriors. What does it even matter. Maybe the holy champion could also make it that inner fire gets buffed vothcon yourself and your champion
Ift exasturbates the problem between bringing a "meta class" or a "non meta class" even more. In blue gears no buff the difference between blizzlike hunter & warrior is maybe 100 dps. That 100 dps the raid can easily compensate between healing the hunterpets more consistent, using bandages to free up healermana and using engineering.

The difference between a t3 fully wb warrior and a equally equiped and buffed hunter is about 800 dps. This the raid can not equalize in any way. Making the raid substantially easier for guilds that stack warrior.

This creates multiple problems. Chief among these is its only fun for the one class thats on top. But it creates more loot bickering since half the raid needs the same gear and it alienates players and it leads to frustrations in regards to certain boss designs as well as making it more difficault to provide a satisfIng difficaulty level for different raidcomps

Any ap buff introduced into the game inevitably adds to his problem as warrior scales better with ap than anyone else.

Mac

Post by Mac » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:22 pm

Redesigning the Discipline talent tree to be the melee monk tree would be awesome.