A change to War Mode + Glyph of the Hare

Bellybutton

A change to War Mode + Glyph of the Hare

Post by Bellybutton » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:30 pm

I've already posted this idea in another thread but I'd figure I'd make it its own thread for visibility's sake, but the other thread's a good read with feedback on the state of open world PvP and RP-PvP on the server.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4181

This thread aims to suggest a change for Warmode that positively impacts PvPers and doesn't harm PvErs, and towards the bottom of this thread, a new Glyph for people who insist on keeping a 30% experience boost.

A New War Mode
It's not really a secret that War Mode is controversial, with it's passive 30% PvE experience increase applied to a permanent PvP mode, attracting players who are just in it for the experience gain and have no interest in in PvP. These peoples' experience is ruined when they get killed, and a PvPer's experience is generally ruined because the other player doesn't fight back and sometimes hurls insults.

I've come up with a suggestion

Remove the 30% Exp gain from War Mode
Implement a new way of gaining experience in War Mode that's not a passive 30% experience boost, but also encourages PvP.

The 30% experience gain is a PvE bonus. It has no purpose in a PvP mode.
Instead, War Mode should make it so you gain experience through killing other players.

"But wait, can't that be easily exploited? What's stopping somebody from just camping gray-leveled players to level up?"
That's why I suggest this:
Killing players whose level is gray to you would grant ZERO experience.
Killing players whose level is green to you would grant some experience, but not a substantial bit, it would be faster to grind mobs than gank green players.
Killing players whose level is yellow to you would grant a nice bit of experience. More than your average yellow mob, maybe a quarter of a bar.
Killing players whose level is orange to you would grant you a large amount of experience, possibly half a bar's worth of experience.
Killing players whose level is red to you would grant three quarters of a bar's worth of experience.
Killing players whose level is ?? to you would grant ZERO experience.

These estimations on the amount of experience gained from killing a player are not absolute and are subject to change how Turtle's designers would see fit.
But these changes would ensure it that the only people in War Mode are actively looking to PvP, as there is no longer a 30% experience boost, and War Mode players are instead rewarded with experience for killing other players.

"But wait, what's stopping two people from killing eachother repeatedly to reach level 60? What's stopping somebody from camping/griefing one player for hours to get experience?"
My solution to this, is to implement a cooldown that lasts a considerable amount of time (30 minutes? Maybe an hour?) that prevents you from gaining experience from that specific player you have just killed. You can still kill this specific player in this time frame, you just won't get experience from killing them until the cooldown is over.

Glyph of the Hare
Turtle WoW prides itself on its slower, more relaxed leveling experience and encourages people to take their time and explore the new content that the devs have created. However, it's extremely apparent that many modern Vanilla players do not like 1x experience rates, given how many people pick War Mode for its 30% experience boost and cap out their rested experience at tents on a daily basis, and how many other Vanilla Private Servers offer increased experience rates. With the majority of Turtle's population started playing Turtle in an era where an optional 30% experience boost exists, straight-up removing it would be jarring for many people.

I have a solution for this
Glyph of the Hare.
A glyph that adds a 30% experience increase to your character, without flagging you for a PvP mode.
BUT, there's a catch. In order to unlock Glyph of the Hare, you must already have at least ONE level 60 character on your account. This would ensure that newer players would mostly experience Turtle WoW for the first time at the pace that was intended from the server's beginning, but also that people who make alts have the option to level their alts faster if they've already gotten to 60 once before.
People get to keep their passive experience boost without being forced into a PvP mode.
Zamba the Unruly
"Zamba be sensing the winds of change in da air. Can you be feeling it too, mon?"

Gantulga

Re: A change to War Mode + Glyph of the Hare

Post by Gantulga » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:15 pm

Server's already x2 thanks to tents so I don't think additional EXP gains in any form are needed at all.

Manateufel

Post by Manateufel » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:38 pm

Good ideas

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:27 am

that is a very sound idea. Warmode you suggest might need a few more tweaking and balancing but overall i feel like it is something devs could work on.
Glyph of the Hare is also very nice. Requirement to have a 60 toon on account for 30% bonus exp mode is a nice touch that allow players to enjoy the content as devs intended for the first time, but allow alts to be leveled a little bit faster while still allowing to enjoy the game.

Chnams

Post by Chnams » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:44 pm

My solution to this, is to implement a cooldown that lasts a considerable amount of time (30 minutes? Maybe an hour?) that prevents you from gaining experience from that specific player you have just killed. You can still kill this specific player in this time frame, you just won't get experience from killing them until the cooldown is over.
This mechanic already exists in the form of HKs. Repeated HKs against the same player in a certain time period (I think it might be 24h?) gives you less and less honor. The same mechanic could simply be used to encourage fights a little more imo because after you kill someone once you don't really have an incentive to fight for an hour. Also you could make XP gain when killing a player simply scale with honor gain (high rank HKs give more honor) with a multiplier for the enemy's level compared to yours (for example -1 level 90% xp, -2 80%, -3 70% but +1 110%, +2 120% etc)

Geojak
Has liked: 26 times

Post by Geojak » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:30 pm

i agree with gantulga, with tents and all the new qeusts in zones, the 30% is just overkill. scrap it and make some pvp related bonus

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:50 am

How about we do a poll for the playerbase who want bonus exp for their alt
Forums could be an echo chamber