vanilla-tweaks — patch the executable for FoV, grass distance, sound in background & more

Lightbringerog

Re: vanilla-tweaks — patch the executable for FoV, grass distance, sound in background & more

Post by Lightbringerog » Wed May 17, 2023 1:44 pm

This Tweak has performance issues. I was playing on GTX960 and Ryzen 5 3600
Both 1.14(retail classic)
And Vanilla Fixes with 1.12 hold a stable 60 fps
With Vanilla Tweaks standing in crossraods drops below 60fps, especially when i move around the camera. Sometimes even 40fps
Def not my machine since the first 2 clients run fine and even with unlimited Farclip it should handle it 1080 60fps.
I even did a clean reinstall of Turtle, same thing.
Both dx9 and Vulcan.

Brndd

Re: vanilla-tweaks — patch the executable for FoV, grass distance, sound in background & more

Post by Brndd » Mon May 29, 2023 2:15 pm

Lightbringerog wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 1:44 pm
This Tweak has performance issues. I was playing on GTX960 and Ryzen 5 3600
Both 1.14(retail classic)
And Vanilla Fixes with 1.12 hold a stable 60 fps
With Vanilla Tweaks standing in crossraods drops below 60fps, especially when i move around the camera. Sometimes even 40fps
Def not my machine since the first 2 clients run fine and even with unlimited Farclip it should handle it 1080 60fps.
I even did a clean reinstall of Turtle, same thing.
Both dx9 and Vulcan.
This patcher increases the grass draw distance (frilldistance) quite a lot by default. On most modern machines this should be fine with the default grass density (frilldensity) setting, but it can cause performance issues if you have your grass density set very high, especially if it's set beyond the default maximum using /console frilldensity.

I would recommend lowering grass density to something around 64. At least personally I find it nicer to have a large grass draw distance with a lower grass density than vice versa. Alternatively, you can change the grass density with the patcher's command line option: --frilldistance 140 to set it twice as high as the default game's grass density, or --no-frilldistance to disable changing it altogether. By default the patcher increases it to 300.

Mo

Post by Mo » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:39 am

I am just here to say that applying all the mods here fixed the jumpy mouse, the GPU lag and the FPS. My assumption is that the VanillaFixes DXVK version forces the client to run with Vulkan. The only problem I have is that HDR no longer works.

Canseco

Post by Canseco » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:52 am

Camera skip glitch fix

Fixes the glitch where the camera sometimes skips to face a random direction when rotated.
You are my fucking hero, I'll try this out asap.

Canseco

Post by Canseco » Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:59 am

It's fixed!! Oh my god the mouse center bug that has been in this game since ever is gone, you are a living god in earth.

Lickmajamtart1

Post by Lickmajamtart1 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:12 pm

Brndd wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:02 am
Closer wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:07 pm
Why you would disable shift loot with this is beyond me lol. Makes it too annoying to play with. Any way to re-enable shift loot?
Shift loot is just loot now, so try not pressing shift while looting. You can change it back the other way around by passing the --no-quickloot parameter.
It did not work for me unhappy_turtle

Kelatazartwow

Post by Kelatazartwow » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:54 am

Brndd wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:32 pm
https://github.com/brndd/vanilla-tweaks/releases

The 1.12.1 client is missing many small QoL features that more modern clients have. I found this annoying, so I created a simple patcher that modifies the executable and adds some minor tweaks. The patcher is open source and very simple. You can see all the offsets it patches in the source code.

These tweaks include (at the time of writing; see the Github repo for an up-to-date list):
  • Widescreen FoV
  • Sound in background
  • Increased sound channel count (technically you can change this with a command; this patcher changes the default so you don't have to)
  • Increased farclip max value
  • Increased grass draw distance
  • Quickloot by default (hold shift for manual loot)
  • Nameplate range increase (increased to 41 yards by default, matching the max range in the Classic and TBC Classic clients)
  • Large Address Aware patch (lets the game use up to 4GB RAM. May help with stability if you use graphical enhancements)
Let me know if you have ideas for other tweaks. The kind of things that are possible to do with this method are things like changing hardcoded values (e.g. FoV and grass render distance) and very simple changes to the game logic. My intention is to only add QoL tweaks, so I will not add anything that gives players an unfair advantage.

To use the patcher, drag WoW.exe on top of it and it'll create a WoW_patched.exe next to it. Run WoW_patched.exe instead of WoW.exe to start the game, or alternatively rename your original executable and replace it with the patched one. For advanced options, such as changing the values of some of the tweaks or disabling some patches, run the patcher from a command line and pass the --help parameter to see a list of command line parameters.

Note that since this modifies the game client it may run afoul of Warden, the client-side anticheat used on some private servers. I have played with it on Turtle WoW for a while and have had no issues, plus the other client patcher seems to be kosher on Turtle too.
Hi mate, this might be extremely weird, but while the Ultrawide FoV is 100% fine and it looks great, my UI is extremely stretched. Weirdly enough it foes appear pfUI has this issues fixed I assume with custom textures for the mens and so on. Is there any fix for this?

EDIT : I did some testing, it does appear I was wrong and the game is a bit stretched too. I am going to assume 21:9 is just not possible in this client without some sort of a major tweak.

EDIT 2 : I can confirm 21:9 can be achieved in this client. The issue is when you play from a laptop plugged to external monitor most of the time. You need to disable the integrated video card and then the game will recognize the resolution.

Albusturt

Post by Albusturt » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:32 pm

Kelatazartwow wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:54 am

EDIT 2 : I can confirm 21:9 can be achieved in this client. The issue is when you play from a laptop plugged to external monitor most of the time. You need to disable the integrated video card and then the game will recognize the resolution.
@Kelatazartwow
I have an ultrawide (aspect ratio 21:9) monitor at resolution 2560x1080. I have used this tool on default settings to set the FoV. I'm afraid it could make it something other than what's good for my aspect ratio(as it has been discussed here, it sets it to 1.925 which is good for 1920x1080 monitors.). What is the right FoV for this aspect ratio so I can try to set it manually?

Kelatazartwow

Post by Kelatazartwow » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:36 am

Albusturt wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:32 pm
Kelatazartwow wrote:

@Kelatazartwow
I have an ultrawide (aspect ratio 21:9) monitor at resolution 2560x1080. I have used this tool on default settings to set the FoV. I'm afraid it could make it something other than what's good for my aspect ratio(as it has been discussed here, it sets it to 1.925 which is good for 1920x1080 monitors.). What is the right FoV for this aspect ratio so I can try to set it manually?
First and most importantly is finding out the issue. If you are not seeing 2560x1080 as a resolution in your video settings than the issue is the client is not recognizing the resolution.

As I said above, the issue - in my case - is that I play from a laptop hooked to Ultrawide monitor and my laptop has 2 video cards:

1- Integrated
1 - Dedicated

This appears to cause a conflict in the 1.12 client and when a laptop is plugged to an external monitor the game doesn't recognize the resolution. To force the client to recognize the external monitor display resolution, instead of your laptop screen resolution, you need to:

Close the Game down - > Go to Device Manager - > Disable the integrated Video Card - > Run the game again - > In video settings you should now have 2560x1080 resolution.

I've seen some people run scripts to shut down the laptop display and stuff like that, but all my testing and attempts didn't work for me. Could be more than one reason, but I am going to assume that it might have something to do with Razer's custom firmware and drivers as the laptop screen is 165 Hz and kinda insane.

However, knowing that the 1.12 client does indeed supports 21:9 aspect and res like 2560x1080 is a pretty big things as it means it can very likely be debugged and fixed on all machines.

Albusturt

Post by Albusturt » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:57 am

I meant I just needed the right FoV value for such screens.

Albusturt

Post by Albusturt » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:55 am

How did anybody get the number 1.925? Please show me on this website so I can calculate a value for my own screen.

I entered 21:9 aspect ratio, 70 cm distance to screen and 75 cm diagonal screen length and the results are nowhere close to 1.925 so WoW must have a different way of calculating it using these.

https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html

Brndd

Post by Brndd » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:22 pm

Albusturt wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:55 am
How did anybody get the number 1.925? Please show me on this website so I can calculate a value for my own screen.

I entered 21:9 aspect ratio, 70 cm distance to screen and 75 cm diagonal screen length and the results are nowhere close to 1.925 so WoW must have a different way of calculating it using these.

https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html
I have not bothered reversing the algorithm to calculate the FoV, so 1.925 was just discovered through trial and error. Many years ago a friend of mine used Cheat Engine to change the FoV on the fly while running TBC and WotLK side by side standing in the same location until he got it looking identical :-).

Athei

Post by Athei » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:35 pm

I checked the source code and it seems that it is replacing fixed positions rather than searching for code places? This requires that the binary is the unmodified blizzard one. But isn't the Turtle WoW binary different from the original one?

Nokidding

Post by Nokidding » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:33 am

Patch for 1.17.0 would be amazing :)

Stokes

Post by Stokes » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:44 am

Nokidding wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:33 am
does the old wowtweaks work with the new patch?

Billymenager

Post by Billymenager » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:50 am

Stokes wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:44 am
Nokidding wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:33 am
does the old wowtweaks work with the new patch?
Yes, but u must remove old wow-tweaked.exe and execute a new one.

Dhrazar

Post by Dhrazar » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:01 am

Still works fine. If you don't know how to set up, watch this video ->

Sharlatan

Post by Sharlatan » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:18 pm

I set cam distance like 150 but seems its server-side locked to default range.. any tips for this?

Kingtos

Post by Kingtos » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:19 pm

Hi,

I installed vanilla tweaks and noticed the fps dropped from 160 to 50.
I removed the frilldistance, but the FPS is still 50.

I tested this with WoW.exe tweaked and untweaked, and it's not the grass that lowers my FPS, but something else from the tweak

Any idea what could it be?

Thx

Inff

Post by Inff » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:59 pm

Regarding ultrawide FoV. As of now we have FoV value patched to 1.925 , wich is fine for 16:9 aspect ratio, but not enought for ultrawide resolutions. Its getting cropped vertically and zoomed in with no additional FoV to compensate.
Can values higher than 1.925 be implemented with additional exe file maybe?

I found here someone already did this for 1.12, tbc and wotlk , but its not working with turtle client.

https://www.ownedcore.com/forums/world- ... w-exe.html

Inff

Post by Inff » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:32 am

Found a solution for previous post. Vanilla-tweaks allows to change FoV value in the settings throught command line. Got my FoV set to 2.2 instead of 1.925

Vigor1983

Post by Vigor1983 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:53 am

The drag and drop WoW.exe ontop of vanilla-tweaks.exe to create wow_tweaks doesnt work for me... im so stuck

Piguwaile

Post by Piguwaile » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:31 am

Hello, I just made a GUI version of a subset of this tool, and it can undo the changes but only for "autoloot", "nameplate distance" and "fov setting".

Here is the repo https://github.com/R32/vanilla-tweaks

Turtlemagma

Post by Turtlemagma » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:02 am

Kelatazartwow wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:36 am
Albusturt wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:32 pm
Kelatazartwow wrote:

@Kelatazartwow
First and most importantly is finding out the issue. If you are not seeing 2560x1080 as a resolution in your video settings than the issue is the client is not recognizing the resolution.

As I said above, the issue - in my case - is that I play from a laptop hooked to Ultrawide monitor and my laptop has 2 video cards:

1- Integrated
1 - Dedicated

This appears to cause a conflict in the 1.12 client and when a laptop is plugged to an external monitor the game doesn't recognize the resolution. To force the client to recognize the external monitor display resolution, instead of your laptop screen resolution, you need to:

Close the Game down - > Go to Device Manager - > Disable the integrated Video Card - > Run the game again - > In video settings you should now have 2560x1080 resolution.

I've seen some people run scripts to shut down the laptop display and stuff like that, but all my testing and attempts didn't work for me. Could be more than one reason, but I am going to assume that it might have something to do with Razer's custom firmware and drivers as the laptop screen is 165 Hz and kinda insane.

However, knowing that the 1.12 client does indeed supports 21:9 aspect and res like 2560x1080 is a pretty big things as it means it can very likely be debugged and fixed on all machines.
ahhhhhhhhh disabling the integrated video card worked!! THANK YOU!!!

I should add, I did this and the resolutions showed, but the resolution didn't render properly after choosing 3840x2160. I had to follow a separate instruction to also uncheck 'Maximized' from the video settings, stretch the window, and re-check 'Maximized'. That fixed the issue for me after trying every other suggestion under the sun. smiling_turtle

I should add, I have 3 monitors, one is a 4k and two are 1080p's. My client didn't go above 1600x1200 resolution, but the above fix worked.