6+ Classes for a Race

Kanto123

6+ Classes for a Race

Post by Kanto123 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:28 pm

I believe this would be a solution for the 6 class limit per race we currently encounter: simply make a copy race that has the 7th, 8th, etc classes. In everyway the copy race would be identical to the original, this would purely be something encountered on the character creation screen.

While it might make the character creation screen a bit messier, since it's only something you view for a few minutes and the change would have a significant benefit to the game by allowing things like Human Hunters and Troll Warlocks I believe it would be worth it.
The only potential issue I see with this is if there is a maximum limit to the number of races that can be displayed on the character creation screen. If there isn't any technical limitation like that, what are the chances that something like this would be implemented? I know human hunters have been desired for some time and would make people happy

Below is an example with a copy of the human and troll races

Aszura

Re: 6+ Classes for a Race

Post by Aszura » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:59 pm

if we are going to add another race slot... wouldn't it be better to add a new race instead of a copy?

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:05 pm

Aszura wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:59 pm
if we are going to add another race slot... wouldn't it be better to add a new race instead of a copy?
Adding an entirely new race is an arduous endeavor from what I hear the developers say, and the 6 class restriction per race has always been an issue. I think making a duplicate race to add more classes would be far easier than adding something like Ogres to the Horde

Besides, these wouldn't need to be mutually exclusive anyway, adding entirely new races could still be done in the future

Irbis

Post by Irbis » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:59 am

Why do we need new race-class combinations?

Bellybutton

Post by Bellybutton » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:10 am

Irbis wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:59 am
Why do we need new race-class combinations?
Adding new lore-accurate race-class combinations is something that Turtle's always wanted to do and actively talks about on the Discord every now and then, but because Vanilla is coded awkwardly there's a 6 class restriction on all races.
Zamba the Unruly
"Zamba be sensing the winds of change in da air. Can you be feeling it too, mon?"

Jombo

Post by Jombo » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:01 pm

I am an advocate for the addition of Kul Tiras as a new human "race" with the possibility of being hunters. For the exact implementation, well... I am not sure.

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:10 pm

Would the Kul Tiras have the same appearance as the regular humans, but with different racials?

Aszura

Post by Aszura » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:58 pm

After thinking about it, this is actually a good idea, but in my opinion, the only race they could add would be Gilnean Human

They could have Hunter and Druids (even Shaman)

It's a copy of a human yes, but they would have Worgen transformation as racial, and no need to backport cata worgen also
And to make it more unique, they could have less skin tones and hair colors, leaving just the darker colors

And bonus, the devs would have a reason to make Gilneas zone

Mativh

Post by Mativh » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:15 pm

You can have more combinations another way: Make the race of choice matter for a class as much as the spec of choice, so the classes aren't standardized and the lore of the race would actually matter, to the point where you aren't just a shadow priest or elemental shaman, but for example (Shadow Ascendant) Forsaken Priests, (Witch Doctor) Troll Shamans, (Shadow-Hunter) Troll Priests, (Spirit Walker) Tauren Shamans, (Priestess of the Moon) Night Elven Priest, (Spell Breaker) High Elf Warrior, (Dark Ranger) Forsaken Hunter etc.

Priests and now Shamans have some racials, this can go much deeper, honoring the Warcraft 3/early wow lore. It'll feel like there are many more classes, playstyle and roleplaying possibilities.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

De-standardization of Classes - Immersive Racials [Undead]
My FB

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:29 pm

Mativh wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:15 pm
You can have more combinations another way: Make the race of choice matter for a class as much as the spec of choice, so the classes aren't standardized and the lore of the race would actually matter, to the point where you aren't just a shadow priest or elemental shaman, but for example (Shadow Ascendant) Forsaken Priests, (Witch Doctor) Troll Shamans, (Shadow-Hunter) Troll Priests, (Spirit Walker) Tauren Shamans, (Priestess of the Moon) Night Elven Priest, (Spell Breaker) High Elf Warrior, (Dark Ranger) Forsaken Hunter etc.

Priests and now Shamans have some racials, this can go much deeper, honoring the Warcraft 3/early wow lore. It'll feel like there are many more classes, playstyle and roleplaying possibilities.
I agree with creating a greater distinction between the races by giving them more racials for classes. Troll Shamans can be given some shadow spells to align more with a witchdoctor theme, orc shamans can be given some more fire/water/earth/air spells to align more with the elemental themes, and tauren shamans could be given some bonuses for ressurection to align with the spiritwalker theme.
However despite these changes being appealing from a lore perspective, the more these mechanics are changed, the more the turtle team has to playtest and tweak them to ensure balance is maintained which is a difficult undertaking given the small amount of members they have working on the project
The current changes they've announced seem to be a step in the right direction

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:43 am

Aszura wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:58 pm
After thinking about it, this is actually a good idea, but in my opinion, the only race they could add would be Gilnean Human

They could have Hunter and Druids (even Shaman)

It's a copy of a human yes, but they would have Worgen transformation as racial, and no need to backport cata worgen also
And to make it more unique, they could have less skin tones and hair colors, leaving just the darker colors

And bonus, the devs would have a reason to make Gilneas zone
What are you basing these combos for Gilneans on?
-
Narrative Design for Turtle WoW

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:34 pm

Can Italian Mafia Don be added as a class for humans?

Rudyraccoon

Post by Rudyraccoon » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:13 am

Playable Vanilla Worgen, now that'll be interesting.

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:09 am

No.
-

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:20 am

Gheor wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:09 am
No.
No to the playable Worgen or no to the Italian Mafia Don?

*gabagool intensifies*

Mac

Post by Mac » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:04 pm

Rudyraccoon wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:13 am
You can get a worgen illusion in the Turtle store and it's actually really fun to play with.

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:55 pm

Mac wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:04 pm
Rudyraccoon wrote:
You can get a worgen illusion in the Turtle store and it's actually really fun to play with.
Is that like an instant cast spell?

Mac

Post by Mac » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:13 am

Kanto123 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:55 pm
Mac wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:04 pm
Rudyraccoon wrote:
Is that like an instant cast spell?
Yes and it lasts until you either cancel it or log out.

Allwynd01
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Allwynd01 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:57 pm

Kanto123 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:20 am
Gheor wrote:
No.

*gabagool intensifies*
I'm not versed on Gilneas' history and what happened there.

I tend to consider (and maybe I'm wrong for it) that everything the developers did for WoW after TBC is retconning. Sure, some story is real, but I think a lot of decisions are based on them just wanting to put stuff in the game, kinda like Forsaken Priest in Vanilla - this should have not been like this or all of their spells should have been Shadow versions of actual Priest Spells and they should not be Healers and pure DPS instead, but there were probably technical limitations as to why this never happened.

So for Gilneas, I'm not sure when were the people there cursed to be werewolves and have they remained loyal to the Alliance or the rest of humanity or not so it's something tough to decide.

Other than that, I think most of the ideas about races and classes after Vanilla re bad ideas/examples for things that can be implemented backwards into Turtle WoW. Instead, I think brand new ideas or unused concepts should be the forefront of discussions.

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:46 pm

Allwynd01 wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:57 pm
Kanto123 wrote:
Gheor wrote:
No.

*gabagool intensifies*

I tend to consider (and maybe I'm wrong for it) that everything the developers did for WoW after TBC is retconning. Sure, some story is real, but I think a lot of decisions are based on them just wanting to put stuff in the game, kinda like Forsaken Priest in Vanilla - this should have not been like this or all of their spells should have been Shadow versions of actual Priest Spells and they should not be Healers and pure DPS instead, but there were probably technical limitations as to why this never happened.

So for Gilneas, I'm not sure when were the people there cursed to be werewolves and have they remained loyal to the Alliance or the rest of humanity or not so it's something tough to decide.

Other than that, I think most of the ideas about races and classes after Vanilla re bad ideas/examples for things that can be implemented backwards into Turtle WoW. Instead, I think brand new ideas or unused concepts should be the forefront of discussions.

Bayanni

Post by Bayanni » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:07 pm

Allwynd01 wrote:
Kanto123 wrote:
Gheor wrote:
No.

*gabagool intensifies*

Most of Gilneas lore you'll find is from Cata and post-cata content, so essentially retcons. We do know they are involved with worgen in vanilla due to the proximity of SFK to the gate, but then again worgen also appear in ashenvale and duskwood, so directly linking the two might be a bit of a stretch even if the lore says Gilneas caused the worgen curse. Of course, the cata content links the worgen curse with "Elune's Scythe", so the fact that the only other places worgen appear is in zones with emerald dream portals might have something to do with it.

We know the name of the leader didn't change, that the city sealed itself from the outside world entirely during WC3 until cata (save an expedition that went with Janna to Kalimdor), and that they didn't do much of anything and were minor players in the politics and wars of the era. It's hard to say if their link to not-werewolves was thought of before cata from what I know, but if it was I would prefer just another human faction with no playable worgen. We already have enough furries with the tauren.

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:07 am

Bayanni wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:07 pm
Allwynd01 wrote:
Kanto123 wrote:

*gabagool intensifies*

Most of Gilneas lore you'll find is from Cata and post-cata content, so essentially retcons. We do know they are involved with worgen in vanilla due to the proximity of SFK to the gate, but then again worgen also appear in ashenvale and duskwood, so directly linking the two might be a bit of a stretch even if the lore says Gilneas caused the worgen curse. Of course, the cata content links the worgen curse with "Elune's Scythe", so the fact that the only other places worgen appear is in zones with emerald dream portals might have something to do with it.

We know the name of the leader didn't change, that the city sealed itself from the outside world entirely during WC3 until cata (save an expedition that went with Janna to Kalimdor), and that they didn't do much of anything and were minor players in the politics and wars of the era. It's hard to say if their link to not-werewolves was thought of before cata from what I know, but if it was I would prefer just another human faction with no playable worgen. We already have enough furries with the tauren.
Agreed.

May the Wolf-Serpent slither through your walls.
-

Avaendis

Post by Avaendis » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:33 pm

Bayanni wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:07 pm
We do know they are involved with worgen in vanilla due to the proximity of SFK to the gate, but then again worgen also appear in ashenvale and duskwood, so directly linking the two might be a bit of a stretch even if the lore says Gilneas caused the worgen curse. Of course, the cata content links the worgen curse with "Elune's Scythe", so the fact that the only other places worgen appear is in zones with emerald dream portals might have something to do with it.

[...] It's hard to say if their link to not-werewolves was thought of before cata from what I know, but if it was I would prefer just another human faction with no playable worgen. We already have enough furries with the tauren.
To add precision to all that, the Worgens of Ashenvale and Duskwood are "related"' in that they were both brought to Azeroth by the Scythe of Elune, and you can learn all about that in the quest that deals with all that (This long chain starts with "The Howling Vale"). The Scythe is kind of a dropped thread of Vanilla WoW, with its whereabout completely unknown, though that evil mage in Redridge Mountain is also rumoured to have had it at some point, but no tangible evidence.

The worgens in Shadowfang Keep and around it are "unrelated" in that while they are indeed the same species, they were not brought into this world by the Scythe, and Arugal found another way to summon them (We know this because the first bearer of the Scythe of Elune talks about Arugal summoning worgens before losing the Scythe).

So, all in all, we do know a fair share about the Worgen in Vanilla, though what we do know includes that they are not werewolves and come from an entirely different world.

Galendor

Post by Galendor » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:39 am

Another thing we know about worgens is https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Lords_ ... rald_Flame

Gheor

Post by Gheor » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:00 pm

Galendor wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:39 am
Another thing we know about worgens is https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Lords_ ... rald_Flame

"This article or section includes speculation, observations or opinions possibly supported by lore or by Blizzard officials. It should not be taken as representing official lore."
-

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:23 pm

Gheor wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:00 pm
Galendor wrote:

"This article or section includes speculation, observations or opinions possibly supported by lore or by Blizzard officials. It should not be taken as representing official lore."
That might just be referring to that section at the bottom and not the entire page. On this other link referencing the same topic, the speculation section is larger and references the green dragonflght:

https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/wiki ... rald_Flame

This second link is the older version, and so contains less confirmed information.
When I followed the second link in the references section of the wowpedia version Galendor posted it brings up a comic from 2010 that must have confirmed the emerald flame as satyrs. Seeing as to how that piece of information is post-vanilla lore, it probably isn't compatible with this server, but the notion of the war with the emerald flame should be usable because reference 1 shows Velinde's journal which is a vanilla wow item

Bayanni

Post by Bayanni » Sun May 01, 2022 5:27 pm

Kanto123 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:23 pm
Gheor wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:00 pm
Galendor wrote:

That might just be referring to that section at the bottom and not the entire page. On this other link referencing the same topic, the speculation section is larger and references the green dragonflght:

https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/wiki ... rald_Flame

This second link is the older version, and so contains less confirmed information.
When I followed the second link in the references section of the wowpedia version Galendor posted it brings up a comic from 2010 that must have confirmed the emerald flame as satyrs. Seeing as to how that piece of information is post-vanilla lore, it probably isn't compatible with this server, but the notion of the war with the emerald flame should be usable because reference 1 shows Velinde's journal which is a vanilla wow item
That is a neat thought if there were future quests centered around the green dragonflight and their relation to both the emerald dream and the worgen. Could give a good plotline to lead into a future emerald dream raid.

Avaendis

Post by Avaendis » Sun May 01, 2022 7:22 pm

It is very unlikely that the Lords of the Emerald Flame are in any way related to the Emerald Dream, or Velinde, when she did extensive research about the Worgens, would have found something about them no doubt.

It would also have sounded rather alarming for a priestess of the moon (and the ancients she consulted) that her new servants fought the dragons, especially those most associated with Elune.

Bellbotems

Post by Bellbotems » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:11 am

What is the realistic chance of this happening, I don't see a reason why every race does not have the six class choices, some combinations would not make sense like Tauren Warlock and Rogue, but if that tickles your fancy go for it.

Kanto123

Post by Kanto123 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:39 pm

Bellbotems wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:11 am
What is the realistic chance of this happening, I don't see a reason why every race does not have the six class choices, some combinations would not make sense like Tauren Warlock and Rogue, but if that tickles your fancy go for it.
More than 6 classes per race are going to be possible in patch 1.17.0; Trolls will get warlocks and humans will get hunters