The Wayward Apprentice - A WoW Classic Story

Xantros

Re: The Wayward Apprentice - A WoW Classic Story

Post by Xantros » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:10 pm

Chapter IV: The Burdens of an Apprentice

Abigail spoke very little during their return trip. The pain from her cuts and bruises made it difficult for her to walk. Lem had offered her his staff as a walking stick but she refused. She still felt a bit ashamed of her actions and wanted to punish herself a little more for it. Limping alongside her gnomish companion, she thought of what had happened to her at the mine. Her body tensed up a little. If Lem had not been there… She looked over to the gnome in question with a fondness in her eyes. He was a good gnome.

Once her wounds had gotten better, they were able to pick up the pace and make significant progress. Within a mere half hour, the red roof of Northshire Abbey was in sight. Abigail was completely exhausted at this point. She was ready to fall flat right then and there and just… sleep. Then she suddenly realized that it was way past lunchtime and a myriad of questions rushed into her mind: Would she still get food? Should she eat, wash or sleep first? Or in that order? As she pondered these difficult thoughts, her friend came to a halt and rolled up his map.
  • “Finally, we are here!” he concluded with relief. “It was a tough little walk but I can’t say I didn’t enjoy some of it.”
  • “It was good to be outside for a change…” Abbie added. “Let’s get some lunch before they close up!”
  • “Thank you, but I’m afraid I will have to pass on that.” There was audible aversion in his voice, which Abigail failed to notice.
  • “Don’t tell me you’re not hungry. We have some real food here, not that… bleuh.” She held her nose, while jokingly making a gesture of disgust.
  • Hahah “It’s not that bad really.” Lem laughed nervously. “And besides, I don’t think they would want me around here…”
  • “Why not? Are you in trouble?” she asked with concern.
  • Heh “Nothing like that. I’m not part of this place and… well, why should they serve me food? But I should really check on my bag again you know…”
  • “Oh! I almost forgot about that. I guess I’ll see you around here later then.” She smiled.
  • “When I see you next time, I will probably have your robe ready for you!”
And with that, they parted. Lem went along the top of the hill they had originally fell down and Abbie made her way towards the Church. She had concluded that she would first take a bath… a much needed… looooong bath. She snuck inside the entrance, trying to avoid as many eyes as she possibly could. Looking the way she did, she would no doubt attract attention soon.
Last edited by Xantros on Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:06 pm

After taking a peek in the entrance hallway and seeing that the coast was clear, she quietly slipped inside the Abbey. Though determined to take a bath, she would check on her robes first. Hopefully, they would be dry by now. She walked along the hallowed corridors of this ancient stone structure, feeling quite content, now that she was back in a familiar place. As she turned the corner to the washroom, she bumped right into another student. It was Olivia, the priest initiate.
  • “Hey, watch where you are going you…! Abigail??” she exclaimed, before looking her over. “What in the world happened to you? Hahaha Have you been cleaning the pig pen again, farmgirl?”
  • “None of your business Olivia!” Abbie raised her voice. “I have to go and take a bath!”
  • Olivia stood in her way laughing. “Why even bother? I thought you enjoy being dirty!”
  • “I don’t care, I’m busy! I don’t have time for you!”” she pushed past the initiate.
  • “Oh, so tough are we now?”
Abigail truly despised this brown-haired girl. She always acted so perfect and talked down to her, teasing her whenever she could. This time, however, not even her undesired presence would get to her. Not after the mine.
  • “You know I could tell on you for frolicking in the woods without permission.”
Abbie was not listening; she was determined to take a bath.
  • “But it seems I don’t have to. You are already in deep.” her words oozed. “Brother Paxton is looking for you… and he is furious!”
She left Olivia without another word and rushed to the washroom. Better to face her fate being clean rather than in her current state. As she took the last step to the door, she heard a ripping sound. Her left shoe had breathed its last. She took it off and examined it. It had torn at the seams between the sole and the top. Her mouth quivered a little… it was one of her favorite pairs even. What a day she thought.

As Abigail opened the door, she could hear Olivia snickering at her from the other end of the corridor. She quickly disappeared behind the wooden door, slamming it shut and breathed a sigh of relief. Finally, she was alone.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:45 pm

She walked over to the rack where she had left her blue, apprentice robes drying. A content smile materialized on her cheeks. At least one of them was dry already. Taking it from the rack, Abbie moved into a smaller room, which was separated by a sliding, wooden frame. This was one of the bathing areas. A large cauldron was neatly heating up on the stove already. How nice of the wash lady to leave it here, she thought. The cauldron was hoist up on a metal rack, just behind the tub, with a calm fire burning under it. Putting the robe down on the stool, she grabbed the iron pick used to dump the water into the tub.

A dense coat of steam rose up, as the hot water filled up the wooden tub. Abigail resolved to try and find a cobbler for her worn shoes later and not toss them in the bin. She slipped down her torn, dirt-covered clothes and immersed herself in the water. After the ordeal of this crazy and grueling day, it felt like a piece of heaven. She comfortably stretched her stiff body in the steaming water. All the pain and aching from her exhausting journey was beginning to ease. She washed the grime out of her face and hair and even splashed around a little, just because she could… and leaned her head back. She was in her own world right now, no one would disturb her here.

As she lay there – embraced completely by the hot bathwater – her mind wandered. She thought of the kobolds and of Lem. How sudden and scary it all was. And yet, it was so distant now. She was safe and sound here… where no kobolds could hurt her. If Lem had not been there… She found herself staring at the ceiling, where dark, flamey shadows danced on a warm, orange stage. Something else was bothering her.

Why was Brother Paxton angry with her? What did she do now? She frowned and tried to think really hard but she could not put her finger on it. She eventually let that trail of thought go and meandered onto another one. She closed her eyes and imagined the scuffle at the mine again. But this time, it was Lem who was in trouble. Calling out for her to save him. And she – the powerful mage that she was of course – would teleport to him and blast away the nasty vermin with a wave of fire… no wait… with a cone of frost… yes… that’s right… And her friend, Lem would thank her and… and… reward her with her favorite food… and carry her heavy bag for her… And with that cleansing thought she kicked her head back and fell asleep.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:08 pm

When Abigail’s eyes popped wide open, the first thing she realized, was being very cold. The second was, how dark it had gotten. In fact, it was so dark in the bathing room, she could not see past her nose anymore. As she sat up, the final realization had hit her. She had fallen asleep in the tub and the fire had gone out. How long had she been there, she wondered. The water had become way less than lukewarm and getting out of it felt like an impossible challenge. She sat there for a while longer, contemplating the obvious decision of getting out, looking around blindly in the dark.

Finally, she had mustered the courage to face the chilling, hard reality and stood up. Brrrrrrr. Getting out of the tub was way colder than she had expected. And the worst part of it was, she could not see or feel her towel. Abigail felt around blindly for it but it was not where she had placed it. Her wet feet slipped and sloshed along the cold marble floor, her entire body was tense and freezing. She sighed a trembling ‘There you are’ in relief when she picked it up from the ground and quickly dried herself off. Luckily her fresh clothes and robe were where she had left them and, though awkwardly, she managed to get dressed. Grabbing her ruined shoes, she slopped out of the bathing room barefoot, the slightly oversized robes dragging behind her.

As Abigail slid the wooden frame to the side, she was greeted by the weak, reddish-orange light of the setting sun barely reaching the window. Gosh, is it already that late? She wondered. After tossing her dirty clothes in the bin, she walked over to her shoebox and replaced the ruined pair with laceless slip-ons. She never liked socks anyways. Pushing the box back under the shelf, she noticed the word ‘Farmgirl’ chalked on the box. AGAIN! Ahhh whatever! She thought and let it be. She had no time for this now, she had to eat something, as her stomach had so kindly reminded her of that fact. Maybe she could still catch dinner.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:41 pm

The whole Abbey felt rather quiet and abandoned and merely the footsteps of one lone apprentice magician echoed through its great stone interior. Where was everyone, the apprentice wondered as she skipped down the chiseled steps, making her way to the diner. Her hand was about to turn the doorknob for the mess hall when she heard a loud noise, like the roar of an old lion behind her.
  • “ABIGAIL MOLSEN!!!!” Brother Paxton bellowed.
  • “Eeeeeppp!!!” the girl jumped in fright.
  • “Where in the world have you been girl?!!”
  • “I-I… w-was… in the umm bath and… and…” she peeped.
  • “Indeed?! It seems you enjoy wasting precious time while neglecting your duties!”
Now Abigail realized what she had forgotten. She was supposed to clean the mess she had left in the library. With all the things that had happened to her today, it had completely exited her mind. She knew she was in real deep now.
  • “And on top of that, leaving the Abbey grounds to take a stroll in the woods to the Light knows where!”
  • “I’m s-sorr…”
  • “It is FORBIDDEN to leave without permission! Don’t you know how dangerous it can be out there?!” he emphasized his point with his finger. “You must clean up the library at once!”
  • “But… but… dinner!”
  • “No more excuses and no dinner young lady!” the Brother scolded. “You will take a bucket of water and brush, and clean that mess of yours before the day is over! And after that, go to the bell tower to see Brother Neals, he has a chore for you. Did I make myself clear!!”
Abigail stuttered a quick ‘Yes Sir!’ and rushed off to the library as quickly as she could. She grabbed a bucket of water and brush from the storeroom and splish-splashed along the corridor to the hall of learning. Indeed, her handiwork of a mess was all the more visible in the reddish gleam from the windows.
Last edited by Xantros on Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:38 am

Chapter V: A Reckless Quest

The bell tower was the highest point of Northshire Abbey. It could even be spotted from certain far parts of Elwynn Forest. Abbie had only been up there once and it was not to her liking. As she climbed the hard, marble steps she wondered what the old priest, Brother Neals, wanted at this hour. She hoped she did not have to clean the tower too.

It was quite the climb, and Abbie was relieved to hear the creaking of rickety wooden stairs. But that relief was quickly replaced by the dislike for the tower. It was dark, old, smelled funny… and it was full of dust and cobwebs. ‘I really hope I don’t have to clean this…’ she prayed.

When she reached the top, she was greeted by the sight of the old bell. This was perhaps the only part of the tower she liked. It was an aged brass bell, with some neat engravings upon its surface. She thought it was perhaps more ancient than it looked. And speaking of ancient, she spotted the priest in the far corner, reading some musty tome under a single candle light.
  • “Umm… Excuse me… Brother Neals…” she greeted but got no response.
Abbie crept closer.
  • “Uhhh… Good evening! Brother Neals?” she spoke louder this time but got nothing.
Abigail was now but an arm’s length away from him and then saw that the old man had dosed off. He was faintly snoring too. ‘Must have been a boring book.’ She chuckled a little. Abbie did not want to disturb the old priest but she had to find out why Brother Paxton sent her up here. She shook him a little.
  • “Brother Neals, please wake up!”
  • Huh “Wh- What? Who’s that?” the priest started speaking in a slow tone.
  • “It’s me Abigail… Abigail Molsen… Brother Paxton sent me. He said you needed something.” She explained.
  • Yawn “Oh! Yes, haha I must have dosed off… What an old, boring book that was.” Abigail smiled to herself. “Have a seat, make yourself comfortable, please.”
Abigail pushed a dusty, oak chair to the table and sat by the candle light, a little restless, while she waited for Neals to put away his book and spectacles. Somehow the aging man looked as if he had been a part of this bell tower since it was built.
Last edited by Xantros on Fri May 05, 2023 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:53 am

• “Now then…” he licked his lips as a habit. “Oh, where are my manners… I know I shouldn’t tempt you youngsters but… cookies?”
Abigail was speechless, she had even forgotten that she was hungry. But now, it had returned in full force. Her stomach felt like a deep well… and well… she snatched it without thinking and down it went.
  • haha “My… my you must have skipped dinner… it’s a little stale maybe.” He winked.
He was right. Abbie regretted taking it without thinking. It tasted stale and… a bit moldy even… just like this whole place. Yet another reason why she didn’t like it here.
  • “Would you like more?” the old priest pushed the plate closer.
  • “No… hehe thank you, I shouldn’t eat so late…” she lied.
  • “Ah well… I like to share it or I’ll never finish them.” He chuckled heartily.
  • “Umm… Brother Neals…”
  • “Yes?... Oh! Right… I told Paxton to send you to me.” he remembered. “I have something very important to ask of you.”
‘Please don’t be cleaning…’ she crossed her fingers.
  • “I would go myself but… I can’t climb the stairs too often you see.”
  • Abbie sighed in relief. “What do you need me to do, Sir?”
  • “I heard you are friends with Milly Osworth… the late vintner’s daughter?” he asked.
Abigail was surprised. She did not expect this. Milly was her friend… actually, they were much more than friends. She was like a sister away from home. She lived over the creek in a small shack right next to her late father’s vineyard, which she inherited.
  • “Yes, we are sir but… umm… she usually writes a letter when I can visit and I didn’t get one for a month now…” she remembered morosely.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:43 am

• “Well, you see… that is exactly why I called for you! I’m supposed to get a manifest from her about her grape harvest this year.” There was concern in his voice. “I don’t mind that it is overdue but I need to know how many barrels we can expect, for making the wine you see. And now you say she has been out of touch with her close friend… hmmm”
  • “Do you think she might be… in trouble, sir?”
  • “I honestly don’t know my dear…” he confessed.
  • “So… you wanted me to go and check? I-I can go right now and…” her voice was bursting with eagerness.
  • “By the Light, of course not! You can’t leave the grounds, it is forbidden.”
  • “… That’s what Brother Paxton said too…” said Abbie with great disappointment.
  • “It is only for your own safety.” The old priest proclaimed. “Don’t you know there are bandits camping out in the woods somewhere?”
  • “Really?” she remarked. She never really heard much about bandits.
  • “Oh, yes. I heard from one of the guards a while back. Some of their men were attacked a few days ago. I’m worried that perhaps your friend…” upon seeing the concern building up in the young girl, Brother Neals stopped himself short. “Ahhaha… don’t mind the rambling of a foolish old man… She must be too busy around the house that’s all.”
  • “What can I do then, sir? I wanna help Milly!”
  • “Since I can’t go myself, I wanted you to inform the guards. They will take care of it, don’t worry.” The priest reassured her.
  • “Oh… that’s all? Well… I-I will go do that sir!” she stood up.
  • “I would appreciate that, my dear. And come see me anytime if there is anything, I can help you with.” Brother Neals smiled.
Abigail politely placed the chair back in its place and made her way to the staircase. As she walked down and the steps transitioned from wood to stone, the hollow tapping of her footsteps gave a sound to her growing concerns. She had made up her mind. As rude as it may be, she was not going to inform the guards. Bandits or no, she was determined to go check on Milly, whatever happens.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:58 am

Having reached the bottom of the stairs, she crossed over to the main hallway and looked around carefully. Good, no one in sight. She rushed out towards the entrance as quickly and quietly as she could until…
  • “And where do you think you are going at this hour young lady?”
Abigail flinched. It just had to be Brother Paxton again. Just the worst timing in all of history. She turned to face her inevitably scolding.
  • “Well… I… umm…” she stuttered.
  • “Yes… I’m listening.”
  • “I w-was on my way to… eat something, yes.” She lied badly.
  • “I see… Even though the mess hall is in the opposite direction…” Paxton was not convinced.
  • “Oh… hehe… uhh silly me!” Abigail was red in the face. She knew she had messed up badly this time.
  • “Abigail… I am very concerned about your behavior.” The librarian spoke in a disappointed tone. “You are not taking your studies seriously, hiking in the woods without permission and skipping your chores.”
  • “But the libr…” she was cut short.
  • “Yes, I know you have cleaned it up… After I had ordered you to do it for the second time. And now you are lying to me.”
  • “I’m sorry… sir.” Abigail shut her eyes with shame.
  • “What are you really doing here? Tell me, honestly.”
  • sigh “I-I went to see Brother Neals like you said and… he told me to inform a guard about… about Milly… she’s my fr…”
  • “Yes, I know you two are friends and she has not sent the manifest yet. Honestly, I don’t even know what Neals is thinking. I told him I would inform the guards. I guess at his age, he forgets a few things.
  • “You… You did?” Abigail was surprised.
  • “I did. Right now, they have their hands full but they will check on her when they can.”
  • “But… what if she is in… trouble.”
  • “There is nothing more I can do, my dear. I understand you are concerned for your friend’s safety but I can’t have you endangering yourself as well. Due to your recent behavior I have no choice but to ground you.”
  • “Sir… please!” she pleaded to no avail.
  • “It is for your own good. The best thing for you to do now, is to concentrate on your studies and leave it to the guards. Go and get some sleep now.”
Abigail felt completely helpless. She could do nothing to help her friend in need. Defeated, she dragged herself back to the dormitory rooms. She opened the door, ready to face all the teasing and the “fun” the other girls were going to make of her but she was in luck. Most of them were already asleep. She quietly walked over to her bed and began making it.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:00 am

The Dormitory was a fairly large hall dedicated for the many students of the Abbey. Upon arriving here, all students received their own bed, appropriate attire, trunk, cupboard and shoebox, and a seemingly infinite supply of candles.

The girl’s dormitory was divided by an archway and had multiple entrances, which was convenient for Abbie, as she could mostly avoid the ones she disliked. She had only begun her studies here a few months ago and did not make any true friends yet but at least, the girls right next to her, were kind and nice enough to her. Both Kristine and Isabella were fast asleep and Abbie did not want to wake them. She quietly slipped out of her blue robes and into the sheets.

Her bed was warm and comfortable; she could not complain. A faint snoring could be heard from the far side of the room and she closed her eyes. Only, as she lay there, in the quiet of the night, her mind raced. She could not stop thinking about Milly. What if she IS in trouble? What if the bandits got her and… and… a sharp pain pierced her stomach like a blade and she heard a loud cry for help.

Gasp! Abigail found herself tussling with her pillow and sweating. She had dozed off for a couple of minutes and had a nightmare. Shaking, she sat up and took a few deep breaths. There was no way she was going back to sleep now. She got out of bed as quietly as she could, took her robe and snuck out of the dormitory. If there was one place where she could still go and not be bothered, it would be the library. There she would think it over and try to calm herself.

She closed the library door behind her as quietly as she could and gave out a long sigh. Finally, she could worry in peace. When Abbie felt distressed, she would always find a secluded spot to think to herself, to calm her nerves or arrive at a conclusion. But she knew there was no conclusion to find this time. She was not allowed to leave.

Abigail paced nervously up and down the library carpet, wearing it out. But it was no use. She could not ease her mind. Either she is waiting too long and Milly will get into trouble or she is already done for… Abbie could not bear to think any more on that and shook her head.

With all this pacing around, she wore herself out faster than the carpet and got a chair to sit on by the window. She lit a candle and placed the brass holder on the window sill, put her elbows up and gazed outside. It was pitch black and the clouds were seemingly gathering for another storm. She let out a worried sigh and looked up at the gloomy puffs up above.

Just then, something caught her eye. The window was not locked. She sat up straight and her mind began swirling with new possibilities. “I could… No. No, I shouldn’t… I’m already in enough trouble… But… Milly… I can’t just…” she debated with herself. Feelings of fear and anxiety swirling inside her. Abbie really hated doing this. Having to choose between two things of such importance. Either way, she would not forgive herself but… let it be for something good. She made up her mind. At least, she can save Milly.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:38 pm

The crazy scheme had now been hatched. Abbie remembered there was a piece of rope in the storeroom. She would tie that to the table and climb down quietly, rush over the creek to her friend’s house and… if she is okay, then she would… just come back home quickly… before anyone notices... yeah… that could work.

Everything was now in place. Abbie blew out the candle and threw the rope over the sill. Luckily the window was not too high up so she was a little more confident about her climbing skills. She climbed over the edge and began lowering herself slowly… a little bit more… just a tad bit further… and…
  • “What the heck are you doing?”
Yikes! Abbie let out a tiny yelp and let go of the rope in fright, falling in the bushes. It was a good thing she had her robe on, otherwise her skin would have been riddled with cuts. She climbed out of the bush with some difficulty and looked around who had called to her. It was so dark she could not see anyone. She stumbled around blindly until…
  • “Ouch!” she tripped over a stone.
  • “Still Miss clumsy-feet I see.” said the familiar voice with a cocky tone.
  • “Lem?! Wha- Where are you? I can’t see you!”
  • “I’m right over here…” he beckoned impatiently.
  • “How can you see me??”
  • “We gnomes used to live underground ya know.. Your human vision is seriously lacking.”
  • “Okay, I get it… but what are you doing here?”
  • “I saw a light in the window… somehow, at this hour, I figured it would be you. Actually, I should ask you the same question.”
  • “I have to get to my friend, Milly. She lives on the other side of the creek. She might be in trouble.” She removed the twigs and leaves from her robe.
  • “Aren’t you getting yourself into a lot of trouble here, girl?” the gnome asked, pointing at her.
  • “I-I know… I’m already in it… deep.” She confessed. “But I have to see her. Even if… even if that means I get tossed out.”
  • “I thought you had no friends here. You two must be really close then…”
  • “Actually, she is more like an older sister to me…” Lem could see her warm smile in the dark. “Could you help me get to her? I can’t really see a thing.”
  • “Since I took the trouble to walk over here, I might as well make it useful…”

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:02 am

The gnome pulled out his staff from his bag and put it on. The crystal at the tip of it emitted a faint blue glow. Abbie had not noticed this before during the day but she was grateful she could at least see something now. She followed the little bobbing ball of light into the darkness.
  • “You left your bag behind?” she asked curiously.
  • “Oh, right you can’t see me well.” Lem realized. “No, I’ve re-enchanted it. I had one feather left at the bottom of it.”
  • “That’s so cool… sigh Wish I could do that.”
  • “Don’t sweat it… If I had not bought two, I would not be able to do this either.” Lem reassured her. “So… this friend of yours… Why are you so worried for her?”
  • “Well… the old priest said she has not reported her wine manifest lately and… there have been bandits around the forest so…”
The little bobbing light stopped abruptly and swirled as the gnome turned around.
  • “Wait just a minute!”
  • “Huh?”
  • “You never said anything about bandits!”
  • “So? What’s the big deal?” she asked in frustration.
  • “What’s the big deal she says.” Lem rolled his eyes, though Abbie could not see it. “That they are BANDITS?? HELLO? Armed and Dangerous Ruffians! That’s the big deal.”
  • “We can handle it!” she protested.
  • “Yeah, like we handled the kobolds? No way, this is too much for us Abbie. Better inform the guards…”
  • “You are just like Brother Paxton! You don’t care! What if she… she…”
Abbie could not continue. She was irritable from not having had any dinner and now her fear for her friend was making her eyes water.
  • “I do care…” the gnome admitted. “And I care enough for you not to make a stupid mistake. Look… Kobolds are one thing Abbie… These bandits are ruthless and a lot stronger. And you are not ready to fight!”
  • “Then lend me your staff so I can see and I’ll do it myself!” she huffed.
  • “Can’t do it. It’s bound to me…”
  • “Then… ugghh go bind yourself to a tree… whatever!” she stumbled off in frustration.
  • “Abbie, you’re going to trip and hurt yourself.” The gnome went after to stop her.
  • “I know… sigh Please, help me Lem… I’m sorry… I can’t do it alone…“ she pleaded honestly.
  • “Hmm… Okay. It is against my better judgement but… I’ll at least guide you there and then we will see. But you can bet I’ll be asking you a big favor for this later!”
  • “Sure! No problem… Anything… thank you!” she said with her spirits raised.
The blue light resumed its bobbing and the unlikely duo set off once more into the dead of night on their daring quest.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Fri May 05, 2023 8:10 pm

Chapter VI: Meet the Bandits

With her gnomish friend at her side, Abigail was a little bit more confident now. “If anything happens, Lem can handle it! He is a spellcaster too, so… and maybe nothing will happen… and Milly is just busy… yeah.” She reassured herself and made a half-smile but she was not totally convinced.

The duo had reached a clearing and the young girl sighed in relief. Finally, no more branches or roots to carefully step over; she could walk naturally. She looked up at the cloudy sky, hoping for a sliver of moonlight to peek out from under the dark sheets. Instead, a single raindrop landed on her cheek and a light gust of wind moved her blondish ponytail.
“Great… just what we needed…” she grumbled to herself. It was Lem who finally broke the silence.
  • “I took the liberty of consulting the map and I believe we have almost reached the creek.” He spoke with a bit of pride. “No idea how we are going to cross it though…”
  • “Huh?” Abbie was lost in thought but quickly came to. “Oh, there is an old wooden bridge there.”
  • “Well, I hope it holds… didn’t plan for a swim tonight!”
  • “Me neither… just washed my robe this morning!” she frowned.
  • “Oh! That reminds me… your new robe is only half-ready.” Lem explained.
  • “That’s okay, I didn’t get into trouble for my clothes at least hehe
  • “You really do seem to get into all kinds of trouble, is it not?” the gnome pondered.
  • “Yeah… I know! I can’t help it, it’s just… I dunno… I always do the wrong thing and everyone gets mad at me…” she confessed.
  • “I did tell you that you are a bit carefree and reckless at times. But I hope this one really is the limit!”
  • “Yeah… I know. If Brother Paxton finds out, I’ll be expelled for sure…” she shuddered. “But… but I don’t mind anymore. Because… If I can make sure that Milly is safe then… then…” a wistful smile appeared on her cheeks.
The gnome walked on in silence. He did not know what to say or even if he had to say anything. Gnomes and Dwarves were easy for him; they always had the same attitude and they would change slowly over many decades. But the girl behind him had changed so much over the span of a day, he was at a loss on how to handle it. He had finally decided to keep his mouth at rest and focus on the journey.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Fri May 19, 2023 8:38 am

As they neared the creek, they could hear the rushing water racing towards the south. The clouds had also decided to dump their bucket over the two companions. The rain began pouring and with no cover, they quickly got soaked. Lem stopped at the bridge and wiped off his face.
  • Pfff “Just what we needed…” he grumbled. “Well, we had better cross the bridge before the rain picks up and overflows the creek.”
  • “I’m right behind you… I think.”
With all her wet hair hanging in front of her eyes she could not even see Lem’s glowy orb. She grabbed onto the wooden beam and edged her way forwards. The bridge was wet and slippery and the beam was not too reliable as a support.

Being able to see and sure-footed, Lem had already crossed the bridge and was now yelling over the rain.
  • “You’re almost through Abbie! Keep going!”
  • “I… pfff I’m COMIIIII…”
With just a couple of steps to go, Abigail began rushing and slipped on the wet boards. As her lower body went down, the wood creased her ankles. The sharp pain made her see stars and due to the suddenness of it all, she could not hang onto the wet beam anymore and dove under helplessly.

She splashed around in panic until she realized the creek was only knee deep and she was just sitting there. She clambered out to the side until she was on muddy land. Lem was waiting there, tapping his foot.
  • “You really are a clumsy girl, aren’t you?” the gnome shook his head.
  • “Hey! You’re big to talk Mr. Smartmouth… you didn’t fall in the water and… Uggh I think it went up my nose!” she complained.
  • “No wonder you can’t cast any spells… you’re all washed up!”
  • “Yeah, yeah, I get it!” she smirked.
  • “Let’s hurry up before you catch a cold!” Lem rushed her.
  • “Okay… hold on…” the girl felt around blindly in the mud.
  • “What are you even doing?”
  • “I… lost my… darn! I had laceless shoes and they slipped off!” she yelled in frustration.
  • “Well, I don’t see them, so they must have washed away…” he concluded.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:08 pm

Abigail didn’t know how to feel. She could hardly see, was doubly wet now and her prized slip-ons were history. Having her bare feet in the mud did not improve things at all. This whole day had just been one disaster after the other. She wondered if it would ever stop. Then Lem dragged her back to reality.
  • “We have to get going… Now!” he commanded.
Abbie jumped to her feet, almost throwing a flip back into the creek on the slippery mud. Her feet dug deep into the muck as she regained her balance. It was a good thing she could not see or she would have been utterly despaired at the state of her “freshly-dried” clothes. She wiped the wet strands of hair to the side and followed the faint glow of Lem’s staff.

Even though she was born and raised on a farm, falling in the creek and getting her feet all muddy was about as uncomfortable of an experience for her, as she had ever had… Until they entered the bushed and she stepped on a sharp stone.
  • “YAAAAHHH!” she cried out.
A sudden blue flash accentuated her voice.
  • SSSSHHHH! What are you doing?” Lem whispered loudly. “You are going to alert us to everything in this forest…”
  • “Ow ow ouw ouw!” she hopped on one foot. “ssss Ow… That really hurt uuhhh…”
  • “Follow me closer, I’ll try to get rid of the clutter.”
Abigail grit her teeth and limped on for a short while, until the pain had gone. She was now beginning to feel like she did when they returned from the Echo Ridge Mine. Bruised, dirty and tired. Somehow this life of adventuring did not appeal to her at all.

After a bit of trekking, they came up to a wooden fence. Lem looked around a bit in the dark, trying to map out the way. Abigail leaned on the fence with her back and petered out with a sigh.
  • Phew “I’m done, this was too much.” She massaged her foot. “And it still hurts… ahh
  • “Okay, we are on the edge of the vineyard.” Lem concluded, not paying attention to her complaints. “Which way is her house?”
  • “If I c-could see, I w-would t-tell you…” she rolled her eyes in vain.
  • “Wait… I can just about make out a… lamp post?”
  • “Yes!” Abbie’s face lit up in the rain. “T-The h-house is-s-s not t-too far!”
  • “Okay… what are you doing?” Lem turned around impatiently.
He saw a young barefoot girl, in a doused muddy blue robe, holding herself… shivering in the rain. Yet that same girl was ready and eager to go see her friend no matter what. He felt pity at the sight of her but this determination also made him warm inside.
  • “Alright Abbie, listen up!” his voice was commanding and calculated. “We have to get you inside and dry you off! But I don’t see any lights… We have to be careful and quiet, okay?”
  • “N-N-No p-problem, L-Lem!” she shuddered.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:01 pm

I have been very busy lately, next to work - going to comic cons, festivals etc. But I am back now!
And to make up for the lost time, I'll do 4 pages!
satisfied_turtle

The two of them quietly sneaked their way along the vineyard fence, slowly creeping towards the house. They crossed over to the wall of bushes alongside the dirt path leading up to the winery. Lem had to turn off his light to not give away their position, which meant that he had to practically drag Abigail behind him to not lose her. They were coming up on the front door.
  • “So… umm What are we going to do? Knock on it?” Abigail whispered.
  • “Of course not! I’ll look inside the window first.” The gnome presented his plan. “Give me a boost.”
The so called “boost” did not turn out the way Lem had planned. Abigail could not support the gnome’s weight and she almost dropped him to the group. Instead she shuffled under him to get him in a piggyback ride, like she used to do with her little sister.

This made Lem rather uncomfortable but he could not argue with the results. They both peered into the dark room through the window glass. Though she squinted her eyes, Abbie could not see a thing and was effectively blind as a bat. Lem on the other hand had a great view.
  • “Okay, this is not as bad as I thought! It works!” the gnome shimmied around, starting to enjoy his elevated position. “Let’s see… hmm…”
  • “Well?? You see anything?” Abigail blurted impatiently.
  • “Hold your horses, will you? Doesn’t seem like anyone is home…”
  • “Okay.” She mumbled.
  • “No sign of trouble or tussle… I think… wait… hmm.”
  • “Can you hurry up?” she groaned. “You could use one of those light-feather enchants on yourself sometime…”
  • “Hey!! You calling me fat?!” he tugged on the girl’s hair.
  • Ouch “You pull my hair again and I drop you!” she warned.
  • “Yeah, well… Wait a moment! I think I saw someone moving inside… Walk a little to the right.” The gnome commanded.
  • Shuffle “There. How’s that?”
  • “No, more to the right! I need to see into the next room…”

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:05 pm

The clouds began to part slightly, allowing the silvery light of the Moon to illuminate the scene.
  • “Wait! I think I saw someone too!” Abigail turned left and leaned in. Ouch!
  • Poof The gnome named Lemagrag landed on the ground with a loud thud.
  • “Hey! What’s the big idea?” he squeaked, holding his bum.
  • “Told you to quit pulling my hair!” she berated him.
  • “You… wait… wait ssssshhhh I heard something. Someone’s inside for sure!” he whispered.
  • “Yeah I heard it too! Let’s listen…”
Creeping up to the front door, both of them put their ears to it and listened for a few moments. It was all quiet. Lem could have sworn he heard a clicking noise. As they pressed harder against the door to hear better, it opened on them and they toppled inward over each other.
  • Oof “Get off me, I can’t breathe…” Lem struggled.
Abigail jumped to her feet, regaining her balance. She took a step inside the moonlit doorway and CLUNK! she was on the floor again. Someone had knocked her out from the shadows. Lucky for him, Lem was too short to get hit and could see better than their assailant. Even so, he could only see an arm and a foot sticking out from behind the door. He jabbed the foot with his staff, which made the shadowy figure yelp in pain.
  • Oww “Leave my house you low-life bandits! There is nothing left for you to steal here!”
  • “What?” came the confused question from the gnome.
  • “You heard me! There is nothing to steal here! Get out of here before I clobber you as well!”
  • “Wait… I thought YOU were the bandit…” Lem was utterly perplexed.
  • “Huh? What kind of sick game are you playing?”
  • “I don’t play any games lady!” that typical tone of dead seriousness appeared in the gnome’s voice. “But if I were to make a bet on this, I would most likely win. You are Milly Osworth!”
  • “Who wants to know?” asked Milly coldly.
  • “I’m unimportant. But your longtime friend here, Abigail Molsen – whom you just clobbered – wanted to make sure you were safe. I guess we can conclude that now…”

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:24 pm

A young woman – a bit older than Abigail – stepped slowly out of the shadows and into the moonlit corridor. Her pale skin and short raven hair blended well in the dim light. She approached the unconscious girl to take a better look. Abbie was lying on her side, her head on her arm and long golden locks of hair flowing over a big red bump on her forehead. Milly gasped and dropped the pan she was holding, kneeling down to her friend.
  • “Oh no… Abigail! I… I didn’t know… I…” she took Abbie’s head in her lap.
  • “Here! I’ve got some water. Maybe she will come to.”
Milly sprinkled a bit of it onto the young girl’s face but it did not do the trick.
  • “We need to get her to my bed. Can you help me… umm?”
  • “The name is Lem… and yes I can.” He smiled and lent a hand.
The two of them dragged Abigail’s limp body to the bedroom. Milly lit a candle on the drawer and after having heard of Abbie’s accident by the creek, she quickly got to work patching her up. Off came the soaked clothes and the dirt; finally, she was tucked in, with a wet cloth on her bump. Lem waited patiently in the hallway for Milly to come out. When she finally did, she found the gnome on top of her sofa, watching the yard on alert.
  • “Alright, Abbie felt really cold, so I put extra blankets on her but she should be okay for now.” Milly sat down in her rocking chair with a cup of tea. “I’m so sorry I attacked you both. But with everything that’s happened… I panicked…”
  • “What happened exactly? I only heard you were out of touch with the Abbey and bandits might have gotten you.” Lem summarized all he knew of the situation.
Milly took a sip of tea and looked down at the floor, pushing the carpet with her foot.
  • “I felt awful, not writing to Abbie to come visit me, but… I could not risk endangering her.”
  • “What’s going on Milly?” Lem pushed.
She took a deep breath and explained.
  • “A… a group of bandits came over the pass from Elwynn. I don’t know how they got past the guard but they have been here for a while now… camping out in the woods somewhere. Some guards passed by here and went to look for them but I never saw them again. Since then, no one had come to check on this area and… I got a bit scared.”
  • “Why are the guards not helping here?” Lem asked with folded arms, furling his brow.
  • “Honestly, I don’t know… I guess only when I didn’t send the latest grape manifest, did the priests start to care. For a while, nothing happened. Then one night, two shady men came to my house.” Milly took a concerned sip from her teacup and continued. “I couldn’t see their faces – they wore red bandanas… They… they threatened me with a... gulp knife that if I peeped a word about them to anyone, they would get me and then sacked my home… took mostly everything that wasn’t hidden… They also bragged about their boss, how he wants to make an example or something… that I’m lucky they only want my supplies.”
Milly began anxiously rocking in her chair, looking over her shoulder fondly and protectively at Abigail. She was still out. The quick bit of silence allowed Lem to take in everything that had been said. He stroked his chin in contemplation.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:34 pm

• “This “boss” … That wouldn’t be Garrick Padfoot, would it?”
Milly almost dropped her cup in surprise.
  • “How?! How did you know?” she exclaimed.
  • “I saw a wanted poster of the man back at the Abbey.”
  • “I wish it wouldn’t have to be this way… but he made his choices…” she trailed off.
  • “Do you know this man, Milly?” Lem jumped on it like a hawk.
  • “Unfortunately, yes. He was an old schoolmate and friend of mine. But that was a long time ago and I have not seen him in years. He had always been, such a quiet, studious boy ya know… and now… I don’t know what to think. That is probably why his thugs didn’t attack me.”
  • “Any ideas what they are after?”
  • “Yes… I think… They probably want to take the entire valley for themselves.”
  • “What? How? There are Stormwind guards all around and the city is so close…”
The girl got up and walked over to the table by the window. She pulled the curtain just enough for a peek out into the darkness. She put the cup down and held her arms together.
  • “You are not from around here Lem but the city’s influence is not much these days… The guards are being sent to far off lands and that leaves little for our protection.”
  • “Milly… why don’t you go to the church? They could protect you at least.”
  • “I’m not leaving my vineyard to them!” she stomped her foot in frustration. “My father worked all his life for this and now that he is dead… I can’t let some thugs take the only thing I have left!”
  • “I understand…” Lem nodded in earnest.
  • “I really didn’t want to drag anyone into this… and now my Abbie is here… sigh I really don’t know what to do…”
Lem jumped off the sofa and walked over to the table, taking a cup for himself. He looked up at Milly, while drinking some tea.
  • “As long as I’m here, I will do whatever is in my power to protect you two, that is all I can promise.” A serious expression appeared on the gnome’s face.
  • “That is kind of you to say but… I can’t ask you to risk your life for my sake.”
  • “You don’t have to… I also have a personal stake in this.”
  • “Really?” Milly asked.
A weak groan came from the bedroom; Abigail had regained consciousness and was getting up.
  • “I will explain later.” The gnome cut it short as Milly rushed over to her friend.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:06 pm

The young girl was sitting up in bed, her head swirling and bump thumping. She put her hand on the painful spot. Oww! She had never felt this bad in her life.
  • “No don’t get up so quickly, dear!” Milly comforted her.
  • “Huh? Wha…?” she was still a bit out of it.
  • “You need to rest. You’ve been through enough.”
  • Uughh “M-Milly… you… MILLY!!!” she cried out in joy and hugged her friend tightly, though her bumped head soon regretted that decision. Ouch! “Ehhehe I… I missed you so much… I…” she almost began to sob.
  • “I missed you too but now… just lie back down okay? I’ll get you some tea.” She gently pushed Abbie back on the pillow.
  • “Oh… okay but… wha… what happened?” Abbie spoke in a muddled voice, while sinking deeply into the giant pillow, almost falling asleep on the spot.
  • “Umm… I sort of thought your two were bandits so… I uhh hit you with a frying pan. Sorry…” Milly confessed.
  • “Oh… Is that all… ehhehe… that’s funny…” her eyelids were taking long blinks.
    • “I’ll get you that tea, dear. Stay put please…”
    “Okaay…” she replied, half asleep already until she noticed the gnome standing by the bed. “Oh… hey Lem… whatcha doin?”
  • “Waiting for you to get yourself together, girl!” he said, tapping his foot impatiently.
  • “How come… you didn’t get… uhhh hit?” she slobbered.
  • “I was too low for Milly to hit…”
Hahahahhahha! Abigail laughed out loud.
  • “Hey! What’s so funny, huh?” the gnome puffed. “At least I didn’t get clobbered…”
Milly returned with a fresh cup of tea.
  • “Okay, okay that’s enough excitement, now sit up slowly and drink your tea.” She commanded.
  • “…Yes mom!” Abbie teased.
  • “I see you are getting better already.” Milly grinned. “Here, let me see that bump… it’s pretty red…”
  • “To be honest, she looks to be shivering…” Lem chipped in. “And I don’t think it’s from the bump.”
  • “Oh my, you are right… She’s probably got a fever! Okay, that does it. You are staying the night missy!” Milly stated.
  • “But… I have to go back or… they’ll kick me from the school!” Abbie protested.
  • “They WHAT?? Abbie… have you been getting into trouble again?”
“She ran from being grounded to look for you.” Lem explained.
  • “…Snitch…” Abigail sneered at the gnome.
  • Sigh “Honestly Abbie… Is that true??”
Abigail shut her eyes in shame and replied with a weak “Yes”.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:51 am

Sorry for the no show. I have been on vacation and working a lot. But I am back with more story. satisfied_turtle
  • “Oh… what am I going to do with you Abbie?” Milly shook her head. “I tell you to study hard, pay attention, don’t do anything reckless… and here you are in the middle of the night, soaking wet, no shoes and a fever…” Milly put her hand on Abigail’s forehead.
  • “That’s odd… she’s not hot but she’s still shivering…”
  • hmm “I wonder about that… maybe… nah, it’s nothing. You know her better than me anyways and besides, I wanted to ask.” Lem began. “Has she always been so troublesome?” A weak and sleepy “Hey!” came from the pillow.
  • Hahhaha “You don’t even know the half of it…” Milly joked, with a laugh. “But there will be time to catch up on stories later. I should change the cloth and get some fresh clothes… I used to be the same size. Good thing I kept those old things...”
With that, Milly rushed out of the bedroom and returned shortly with a new wet cloth, which she promptly changed. Abbie murmured a thank you and her older friend resumed her fussing about, this time, digging in her closet for some appropriate attire for the young girl. Lem sat there on a high chair next to the bed, smiling to himself. He saw how much Milly cared for her friend.
  • “There!” she dumped a small pile at the end of the bed. “I think these ought to do it. Do you prefer the light pants with the red shirt or the blue… aww look at that, she’s asleep again… well… first option it is then.”
  • “You know… now that I see her like this, she isn’t even half bad…” Lem looked at her friend fondly, then took a sharp glance at Milly who could not contain her wide grin. “Never tell her I said this! Got it?”
  • “Sure, sure, I won’t tell.” She crossed her fingers under the shirt she was holding.
Just then, a couple of loud thuds could be heard, coming from the door. A sudden shock ran through Milly and her expression reflected that. She dropped the clothes on the bed and looked at the gnome with concern.
  • “Do you think it’s the guard?” the gnome asked wistfully.
  • “No chance!” she knew better. “It’s them…”
  • “What should we do?”
  • “I’ll get rid of them somehow… I don’t want them to find Abbie… you go hide somewhere quick! And don’t reveal yourself unless you really have to…”
  • “Sounds like a terrible plan…” Lem frowned.
  • “I’ll handle it, now go!”

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:15 am

Just posting to say I really enjoyed this and am excited for more to come! Look forward to seeing more of Abbie and Lem's adventures smiling_turtle_head The illustrations are amazing and I love seeing the characters

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:38 pm

Oh thank you Gaz! This means a lot to me. Sorry I was very busy and only saw your reply now. I will be posting more regularly now. :)
The story is about to get more tense.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:46 pm

Milly closed the bedroom door and walked over to the front with her pan. Lem quickly concealed himself behind a nearby cupboard, with his spells and staff at the ready. The girl took a deep breath…
  • “Who is it!” she yelled out.
  • “You know bloody well who, girl! Now open up the damn door or we break it!” came the brisk threat in reply.
  • “And you better not have that pan of yours around…” the other voice sounded much more crude and much less dangerous.
  • “I’ll take my chances…” Milly stood her ground and opened the door.
The pale moonlight seeped into the hallway for a second time this night, cutting a swathe into the darkness of the room. This time however, it seemed to slither. And with it, two dark figures stepped inside, their heavy boots weighing down on the floorboards, clopping loudly. Standing now at the precipice of light and shadow, their very presence brought a shiver down Lem’s back.

As they entered, one of them took a long suspicious look around the dark room. Luckily, the gnome’s natural knack for remaining unseen, blended him perfectly in the shadows. But Lem could see them just fine. In their brown leather gear and red bandanas, the identical resemblance was almost uncanny. They were also well-armed.
  • “What do you want from me now?” Milly glared at them. “There is nothing left for you to take from here!” The familiar line was delivered with true revulsion on her part this time.
  • “We saw a light from across the field…” The bandit replied. “You don’t light candles lately, girl.”
  • “So? It was cloudy, I couldn’t see… What of it?”
  • “You can imagine our surprise… we thought, maybe she has some guests… A tea party we weren’t invited to, hmm?” the bandit, had a light voice to match his scrawny physique, but with a tone of cunning slyness.
Milly was a bit relieved they had not actually seen her two friends enter her house. If she plays it cool, they should be okay. The burly one walked over to the table.

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:21 pm

Xantros wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:38 pm
Oh thank you Gaz! This means a lot to me. Sorry I was very busy and only saw your reply now. I will be posting more regularly now. :)
The story is about to get more tense.
No worries! I look forward to the upcoming parts smiling_turtle

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:54 am

• “Well, well… would’ya look at that! You were right, Fran!” he took a cup of tea in his hand. “Don’t mind if I do!”
  • “Hold on, you idiot! Could be poisoned!”
  • “Oh yah! Heh Maybe we make her drink first then!”
  • “Nah, maybe later. We have to wait for the boss. He should be here soon.”
  • “Garrick is coming here?” Milly was surprised.
  • “Yeah, he wants a word with you...” The sly one hopped down on the sofa, spreading his filth all over it. “In the meantime, maybe you could treat us to something nice.”
  • “Huh…?”
  • “Like information… guard patrols, supply lines… that sort of stuff…”
  • “Like I would know that and you don’t already…” she frowned.
  • Hah “I’m not top dog enough yet…” he grinned under his mask. “Alright, enough playing around… You should tell me instead why you have two cups on the table?”
Milly froze on the spot. He noticed. She was in trouble now, unless she can think of a quick distraction… she glanced over at Lem’s location; he had moved. Good, if things go south, then at least the two of them have a chance, she thought.
  • Pfff “This crap is cold.” The brisk rogue spit the tea on her rug, much to her dismay.
  • “You complete arse!! I told you not to drink it!!”
  • “Is aight, only cold and tastes like piss.” Came the hoarse reply.
  • “Ahh next time I hope it IS poisoned! Alright, now… bring us some candles, wench! We need to make some light for the boss!” He gave a sloppy command.
  • “Get them yourself!” Milly spoke in a cold tone. “In the drawer.”
The sly one got up slowly and stepped over to her. Milly saw the threatening posture and raised her pan. The man quickly grabbed her wrist and twisted it out of her hand. He tossed the pan on the sofa.
  • “Ow! Let go of me!” Milly struggled.
  • “I’m not here to play games, so don’t try anything funny! Understand?” He pushed her to the wall and squeezed her wrist a bit harder.
  • “O-okay! Okay… I’ll get…”
  • “What the hell are you doing Fran!” a strong, commanding voice came from the doorway.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:19 pm

• “Oh! Err boss… I uhh I was just fooling around…”
  • “I told you two idiots to not threaten or harm her!! And here you are doing just that!”
Garrick Padfoot entered with a loud crack on the wooden boards. He was not in a good mood. Like the other two bandits, he wore the same red bandana, also armed to the teeth. However, his long blonde hair and black leather armor distinguished him.
  • “It’s dark in here. Get some candles…”
  • “But I… she…” Fran stuttered.
  • “NOW!!” Garrick bellowed.
Suddenly, compared to their boss, the two rogues appeared a lot less threatening. They stumbled and clambered to grab the candles and light them quickly. Garrick walked over to the lone armchair and sat down. He now had full view of the whole room and everyone in it. All except Lem, who had now maneuvered himself just behind him.
  • “It’s nice to see you again, Milly.” He began in a slow voice but there was nothing nice about his tone. “Wish it were under different circumstances.”
  • “Garry… what happened to you…” Milly reminisced.
  • “Times have changed!” he raised his voice a little. “It’s Garrick Padfoot now!”
  • “Okay… What does Garrick Padfoot and his thugs want from me…”
  • “We…” he started.
  • “What they haven’t already taken…” she gave off a dead glare.
  • “Ahh see, that’s the problem with you Milly…” he shook his head. “You could never see the bigger picture. Only your little vineyard and your meaningless life here…”
  • “And just what ‘meaning’ does your life hold?” She asked, though she cared not for the answer.
  • “I’m part of bigger things now Milly. Something I have always dreamed of. I have a responsibility now… a duty to the Brotherhood…”
  • “First time I hear this…” her tone indicated her confusion.
  • “We are the Defias Brotherhood. Bound together by the vengeance in our blood…” He tugged on his red bandana. “… that we carry with us as long as we live.”
  • “I see you have memorized some fancy quotes…” she was not impressed. “You always were a bookworm.”
A vein started bulging on his forehead. “You think you are in a position to mock me?”
  • “I’m just waiting for you to get to the point…”

Niralthas

Post by Niralthas » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:02 am

Really enjoying this read! Amazing content, thank you for this wonderful contribution.
Bio: viewtopic.php?p=15278#p15278
Feel free to approach me for any RP (or raffle) related questions!

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:30 am

Thank you Niralthas! :) It gives me joy to read such nice comments ^-^
The story is about to get a bit more intense ;) Stay tuned.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:40 am

• Hah “Still the same old Milly, I see!” he laughed. “Alright, I like your spunky attitude. Which is why, I came here personally, to recruit you.”
  • Uhhh “What now?” she shook her head in disbelief.
  • “That’s right. We need good men and women to join our righteous cause!”
  • “What are you even on about?”
  • “We stand against the corrupt nobility, who have wronged our brothers and taken from them, their labor, trust and dedication. It is a just cause, you have to agree.”
  • “Uh-huh, is it just and righteous to take what you want and make innocent lives miserable? Is that a good cause Garrick??” Milly yelled out in frustration.
  • “Some sacrifices have to be made. All great rebellions needed some martyrs…”
  • “I think you are mad. And if you think I will be part of your criminal affairs…”
  • “You already are, Milly. Whether you like it or not.” A seeping grin hid itself under his bright red mask.
  • “What’s that supposed to mean?” Milly stomped her foot.
  • “We have already intercepted the grape manifest, along with the deed to the vineyard. I have to say, it was a cunning stunt you pulled there; smuggling such important documents out with an unassuming stable boy… providing us with exactly what we needed…”
  • “No, Ian!! You bastard, what have you done with him?” the girl clenched her fists.
  • “What we do to all traitors, Milly…”
  • “You rotten, hollow wretch!” she sneered her words in desperation. There was nothing else she could do.
  • “You should have known better… But since we used to be friends, I thought I would be courteous and give you a chance to join us.”
  • “Like hell would I join you after that…”
Although Milly had wanted to play it safe, these unexpected revelations caught her off guard and her anger had gotten to her. All she wanted now was for a searing flame to engulf this evil man and burn him and his thugs to ashes. Sadly, that did not appear to be a possibility. She felt powerless…
  • “Whether you join us or not is up to you. I would hate to see you hurt but we can’t have you jeopardizing our operation here. Think about it! With your brains and attitude, you could make it far in the Brotherhood. You could even command part of the operation from this very vineyard.”
  • “So that’s it then… you want my home? You want me to betray my father’s legacy and spit on his grave… You are just a spineless slug after all…” she was so angry she had almost come to tears.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:46 pm

Garrick was getting impatient and did not like these insults one bit. He slammed his fist on the armchair and jumped to his feet. Grabbing a cup of tea, he threw it on the floor in his rage. The cup broke into a million porcelain pieces and the tea splattered on dry wood.
  • “NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR DEAD FATHER!! OR YOUR STUPID FAMILY LEGACY!! YOU JOIN US AND GIVE UP THE VINEYARD WILLINGLY, OR WE TAKE IT BY FORCE!!” he exploded.
Milly recoiled in fear. She had never seen Garrick this angry before but it was now clear that he had indeed changed. The bandit leader took a few moments to collect himself but he had already gotten a headache from losing his cool. His henchmen stepped over but he held up his hand, rubbing his temples with the other.
  • “Ahhh, why do you have to be so difficult? Now look what you made me do… Let’s try that again… listen here, we already got your deed to the place… whose gonna know if we…”
But as he was about to go on another one of his delusional rants, the bedroom door opened and a yawning, shivering blonde girl walked out barefoot in her chemise, rubbing her eyes.
  • “W-what’s going on, M-milly? I heard a… yawn noise…” she glanced around half asleep and shaking. “Can I g-get a… yawn …nother b-blanket, please?”
A cold wave rushed down Milly’s spine. She failed and Abbie was now in danger. Her mind raced but she was too distressed to think.
  • Hah “See? I knew something was up!” The sly thug pointed at the young girl, grinning to his large friend.
  • “Oh no…” Milly murmured to herself. “Go back to bed sweetie, we are just talking.”
  • “Who’s this, Milly? And why haven’t you told us that you have a guest here?” Garrick demanded answers.
  • “She’s my friend and she is sick! I’ll go take care of her quick and we can continue.”
Garrick stood in Milly’s way as she tried to rush over to Abigail.
  • “Please Garrick… she dropped in tonight and she has a fever. Just let me put her back to bed!” Milly pleaded desperately.
  • “No, I think both of you will stay right where you are.”
Behind the armchair, Lem was lying in wait. And it was killing him. He could not risk revealing himself too early but he needed a clear line of sight to start casting his spells. Now that Abigail had entered the picture, the situation had become worse and he was running out of options fast. Garrick stepped over to the young girl with a menacing gait.
  • “Perhaps you will be more cooperative now… for her sake…”
  • “Don’t do this Garrick… not to her, I beg you!” Milly almost screamed but her voice choked away. She took a step towards him.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:30 am

• “Restrain her, Fran!” he commanded.
The scrawny thug grabbed hold of Milly’s wrist and twisted her arms behind her back with one hand. She gasped in pain and struggled to free herself but it was futile. He pulled a knife with his other hand and held it close to her cheek.
  • “I would calm down if I were you or Fran’s hand might accidentally slip!” Garrick was enjoying his moment of power all too much. “And we wouldn’t want that now.”
Lem was determined to step out of his hiding spot and do something, when…
  • “Stop hurting her! You big meanie!” Abigail yelled at Garrick.
  • Hah “And just what are you going to do pipsqueak… Ow!” she kicked him in the shin.
  • “Let her go!”
  • “Why you little pest!” Garrick shouted, grabbing his leg in pain as Abbie ran towards her friend. “Grab her, Lloyd!”
The burly bandit did as instructed and clenched his vice grip on the young girl’s upper arms to drag her back. As soon as he touched her, a sharp pain ripped into him, from fingers to wrist. His hands had quickly turned purplish as if all the blood had suddenly rushed out of them. He recoiled with a loud cry.

Abigail kept on running and extended her arm to reach out to Milly. Just then, the temperature in the room dropped noticeably and the air around her hand began to shimmer. A cold, bluish light suddenly shot out of her fingertips. Fran could not react fast enough and the freezing air hit his hand. Just like Lloyd, he cried out, as the icy chill ran through his arm, causing him to drop his dagger and relinquish Milly. In the confusion, the older girl made a mad dash for her pan on the sofa. Another blue light hit Fran and he stumbled, crashing with his back into a cupboard of glasses.
  • “THE DAMN BRAT IS A MAGE!! STOP HER, QUICK!” Garrick yelled out the order, then quickly ducked as another bolt of cold air flew over his head.
Lloyd sprang at Abigail from behind but he was met face to face with Milly’s pan. As he retreated, holding his face in both hands, the vintner’s daughter turned round to go help her friend but a sudden shock of despair rooted her in place. She was too late.

Even through his thick leather gloves, Garrick could feel the intense cold emanating from the young mage. His fingers were slowly getting numb as he twisted her arm to the side with a firm grip. Abigail struggled but she was much smaller and far weaker compared to this giant of a man. The rogue knew he had to act quickly against a mage. While she was distracted and in pain, he pulled a dagger from his vest and stabbed her with all his remaining strength.
  • “ABIGAIL!!! NO!!” Milly screamed at the top of her lungs.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:31 am

Thank you Fred! I'm glad you enjoy it! Means a lot to me :)

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:47 pm

And so too did Garrick. The piercing thrust from his dagger glanced to the side and only left a painful bruise on the girl’s side but the backlash of cold energy snapped through his entire arm. He looked down at it and just barely noticed another cold spell forming in the girl’s free hand. Without thinking, he jabbed his knees in Abigail’s stomach and slogged her as hard as he still could. The poor girl’s world had suddenly turned upside down and the room swirled around her. She was knocked out completely.
  • “That was… a close one…” he panted, holding his arm. “Your friend almost had me there but… in the end it was all useless.”
  • “Not quite!”
A shadow dashed quickly across the room, putting out the candles and hitting Lloyd, who was getting ready to take down Milly. The strong thug felt a cold pain in his chest, where he had been struck, only it was not quite freezing but more… empty.
  • “Boss… I-I can’t see!!” he shouted out.
  • “What the…?” Garrick paused.
  • “She gave me enough time…” Lem spoke with a deep and serious tone. “… to end this!”
With the candles extinguished, the room had become rather dark once more. The three rogues were caught completely by surprise and now they were at a disadvantage. The gnome could see them quite well, even in this darkness.

Garrick was now in trouble. He did not catch the position of his new enemy, nor the threat he posed. But he guessed it was another mage. His men were out of their wits or badly hurt and they were in the dark. He had to act real fast.
He dashed over to the nearest window behind the sofa, narrowly avoiding something dark that just whizzed past him. Almost desperately, he tore off the curtains to let some light in.

Fran, who had been down for the count for much of the fight, had just regained himself. Seeing his boss tearing down curtains, he knew what he had to do. He rushed over to the front door and gave it a strong kick. The old rusty hinges gave way and the birch door fell outside in the mud.

The room was now only half dark and the bandits felt their odds improving. Garrick had finally located the gnome’s position and, in the streaming moonlight, he even recognized him.
  • “YOU!?” he yelled out in surprise.
  • “Remember me, do you?”
  • “You’re the shortstop we took that book from!” Garrick recollected.
  • “I’d much like to have that back now…” Lem was not too amused by the remark.
  • Hah “You think I haul that paperweight around with me?”
  • “I guess I will just have to search your body later…” the gnome gave him a cold glare, which did not go unnoticed by the rogue leader.
  • Bwahahhaha “You what?” Fran cackled. “Big talk from such a small thing.”
  • “Watch out Fran, this one’s a spellcaster too. And a more dangerous one…”
  • “Yeah I know. Last time, he was a pushover… ‘oh! where am I? huh? Who are you?’ hahhaha easiest pickings ever!” the sly rogue gloated.
  • “It’s two for one… We can take him from both sides!” Garrick gave the command.
  • “We’ll see about that!”