The Wayward Apprentice - A WoW Classic Story

Xantros

The Wayward Apprentice - A WoW Classic Story

Post by Xantros » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:10 pm

Welcome again fellow Slow Traveler! satisfied_turtle_head

Hope your journeys have not been too difficult. It is always a good idea to take a break from all of it and just relax. I do that regularly. Sometimes I draw sketches of my adventures and keep them in that Tiny Shoebox over there. I have many shoeboxes you see... they are so useful! In this one I keep my writings of fun little stories. Do you wish to see them? Go right ahead if you like. I hope it will put a smile on your face and warm your heart as it does for me. satisfied_turtle

Xantros

Re: The Wayward Apprentice - A WoW Classic Story

Post by Xantros » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:14 pm

The Wayward Apprentice

Chapter I: Northshire Abbie

In the early morning hours, a great downpour had come over the forests of Elwynn. Even the water of Crystal Lake was beginning to rise. It had been raining for hours and not a soul would put one foot outside in this deluge. The woodland critters, who had felt the storm coming, were long hiding under rock outcroppings or hollowed out trees. The village of Goldshire was completely soaked, with many gallons of rainwater flowing over the rooftops.

Much of the townsfolk took refuge at the local Inn, while the guards rushed to the blacksmith’s workshop, afraid their armor would rust. Traveling merchants had it the worst. The unlucky ones who did not make it to town, had to take shelter at farmsteads and orchards or pitch their own tents, as the roads became unusable. Not even the little valley in the north was spared. The small river – which flows through here from the mountains and snakes its way down south to feed Crystal Lake – was almost twice its normal size. It even washed over the shabby wooden bridge, making it wet and treacherous.

Nestled in the heart of Northshire valley, a simple Abbey stood by itself. Under the cloud-darkened skies it appeared lonesome and forgotten. Yet appearances can be deceiving – as the saying goes – for this little church was, if not for the storm, one of the busiest areas of Elwynn forest. The townsfolk from Goldshire came here daily for prayers or even to consult the resident priests for advice and blessings. As fate would have it, the local vineyards also produced some excellent wine.

Alongside the seminary of priests, squires of the holy order also trained and studied here to one day become consecrated knights. But these would-be paladins were not the only ones to receive their schooling here. The guards of the nearby city of Stormwind drilled their recruits in this area as well.

All this exercise also had another purpose to it, for the forests had become increasingly dangerous of late. Frequent highwayman attacks and robberies were discouraging merchants from traveling these parts and the sudden growth of wildlife did not help matters either. Recruits from all over the Eastern Kingdoms were accepted and allowed to train here under the tutelage of various trainers, in order to make the region safe again. Yet all this, was not apparent in this weather. The abbey almost looked forlorn for all but one flickering light coming from the window of its modest library.

Although the abbey was small and the number of books it held was meager, the librarian had done his best to gather the most important tomes the trainees might need for their studies. From books about the holy light, to arcane studies and swordplay, these bookshelves had it all. The librarian had retired until the storm subsides but had left the door open to all who were interested in learning.

And sure enough, one eager soul had already been busy at work, digging through the knowledge contained in these old tomes. A large pile of books stood towering on a great oak table by the window. Under the dance of the tangerine candle light, a hand quickly scribbled away on a parchment, with the ink running low. Focused eyes were skimming through text after text in search of wisdom. Nothing is too much or too difficult for the diligent student. Or so one would expect. Yet, as with appearances, expectations too, can be deceiving.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:06 am

Behind the pillar of tomes lay a mess of papers and books, seemingly arranged in the most chaotic manner possible, with used quills strewn all over the table and knocked over bottles everywhere. The ink was overflowing, dripping from the table into a small, yet ever growing puddle. While the pile of reading material was spared the ink treatment, it was still damp from something else. The calm and steady pitter-pattering of raindrops on the window glass almost completely masked the faint snoring coming from beneath.

Aloser look explained who was responsible for the disaster that had transpired here. Hiding under the “Treatise of Magic Attunement” was a button nose, lightly freckled but otherwise fair. The other culprit did not get very far either. Lying on top of an essay of a… rather modest number of words, was the mouth, wide-open with plenty of droop to soak even the “Dissertation of Frost Channeling Vol. 3.” Above all this tardiness, a single small ear poked through, along with a stream of blondish hair. Finally, all the puzzle pieces were in place and the silhouette of a young teenage girl could be identified. She had been fast asleep for much of the morning already and it did not look like she would be waking up anytime soon.

All of a sudden, a loud, thundering noise shook the library. The girl’s eyes popped wide open and within a matter of seconds, a myriad of thoughts and realizations rushed through her mind. Among the first was “Who am I?” but that was easily answered with a quick “Oh… me.” Then came the “Where, What and How?” and soon enough these too became clear.
  • “Abigail Molsen!” the librarian shouted slamming the door, his white robe flowing behind him. “I thought I made myself clear the last time! Don’t make a mess of the Library!”
  • “Uhh.. I.. um.. ye-yess sir! You.. emm did.” Abigail chirped.
  • “Yet here you are again! Such a tardy student I have not seen in my life!” he was furious and perplexed at the same time. “And oh my, look what you have done to the ‘Study of Arcane Instability’ a most precious tome of important knowledge, I just cannot believe…”
  • “I’m sorry Brother Paxton.. uhh sir! It won’t happen again I swear!” she blurted, standing stiff as a board.
  • “Do you know how much time it will take to clean all of this up?”
  • “I..uhh.. I’ll help and..!”
  • “Oh, indeed you shall young lady!” Threatened Brother Paxton under his spectacles. “And just look at you, your robe is soaked in ink! Get yourself cleaned up at once! I ought to tell your teacher about this!”
    “Please, please don’t tell Mr. Bremen!” she cried.
Abigail was becoming increasingly nervous now. If her teacher had found out about this mess, she would certainly be in deep trouble. This was not the first time she had fallen asleep while studying and last time Mr. Bremen warned her that she could be expelled.
  • “Hmmph, if you clean your mess and get out of my hair for the rest of the day, then I’ll reconsider!”
    Her anxious expression slowly curved into a wide grin – she knew she was out of the woods on this one – and opened her mouth to thank him. But she quickly swallowed her words for she was met face to face with that well-known stern expression.
  • “Don’t thank me yet. I’ll have found sufficient punishment for you after lunch!”
    gulp “I’ll go get uhh.. changed.”
  • “You go do that. And make sure you …” she was already gone. Brother Paxton shook his head “What a troublesome girl.”
Last edited by Xantros on Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bisbyhoughton

Post by Bisbyhoughton » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:39 pm

Nothing wrong with catching a nap during studying! Brother Paxton should rethink his own troublesome relationship with the cult of productivity, if ya' ask this little lazy goblin!
Bebub Peoria - Undead Warlock and Dirt Enthusiast
Durgis Bak - Goblin Hunter and Preeminent Slacker

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:37 pm

Oh I wholeheartedly agree! I would always snooze during math study! :P

Pistol

Post by Pistol » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:48 am

I liked that pretty well, a cute story. I hope you continue it!
Nodoba Level 60 Hunter
Wolf Council (Officer) of <Wolfskull Clan>
Vorick Level 60 Warrior
Vanguard of <Wrath of the Forsaken>
And numerous other characters
Editor of the Gutter

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:51 am

I'm glad you like it :) I've already written 95 pages, just uploading them slowly, maybe I'll go 2 pages per week.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:34 pm

Abigail rushed down the cold white marble steps of the library. She had been studying on the ground floor. It was not the most ideal place – what with all the usual bustle at the entrance and the warrior’s wing – but in the morning it was quiet and she could concentrate better. Not that she was so fond of books or closed spaces for that matter. The monotony of studying really made her head hurt. She would rather have spent her time outside in the sun, among the trees and the animals. Anything but the slow, boringness of these stone walls. She was, after all, a farmer’s daughter. Being out in the open was in her blood and such a free spirit cannot be contained inside for long. For now, she was “mostly off the hook” and that filled her up to the brim with energy. She joyfully skipped over the last few steps and vanished behind the door of the changing room.

The size of this Abbey did not allow for much comfort, so the washing had to be done inside the same chamber where the students kept their clothes. Abigail had her own little box in the corner just under the table. Someone had chalked the word “Farmgirl” below her name. Again! If there was one thing that made her go off on a pouting spree, this was it. The worst of it was, she could never figure out who had done it. Maybe Olivia the priest initiate – she always teased her about like that. Could have been Fernando too – some paladin he’ll turn out to be… Or perhaps one of those rogues that hang out behind the barn in the back. But today, not even this could ruin her mood. Her frown quickly smoothed into a smile as she looked outside the open window. The clouds parting and the trees bathing in sweet, yellow sunshine. No sir, nothing at all could…
  • “You gotta be kidding me!” she cried out loud.
All her clothes were smudged and stained, completely unusable. That did it. Her face turned bright red and began to blow up like a South-Sea pufferfish. They had really gone too far this time. Ruining her clothes like that. But they’ll get it now for good. Yes, indeed, this time there will be no mercy. She began planning out all the ways she would be getting back at them.
  • “What’s the matter, dear?” asked the caretaker lady, entering the room.
  • “All of my clothes! I… I have nothing to wear and my teacher will be furious with me!” Abigail whined, still red in the face.
  • “There, there child. Don’t worry. Everything has a solution to it, I always say.”
  • “I’ll get them for this. All of them, and then… w-when I’m through with them, I’ll hang them out to dry!” she huffed in anger.
  • “Ah, see darling, that’s what I would do in your place too.” the old lady smiled.
  • “Really? You think I should?”
  • “Of course. Tis the only way to make it right.” She nodded.
With all this moral support, Abigail was now more confident than ever. No more teasing, no more pranks. Now, for the first time, she would put her foot down and have her way. Just they wait. She made her way to the door with her box in hand.
  • “My, my how quickly you girls grow up these days. You’ve been bringing in those robes all week, I thought you had forgotten all about them. With all that studying you do it’s no wonder.” continued the wash lady. “And here I thought you would never wash that heap by yourself.”
A sudden crash and a loud yelp came from the doorway. Abigail stood there flabbergasted, with her jaw dropped and box on foot.
  • “Uh, what was that dearie? Do speak up. My hearing ain’t what it used to be.” the old lady chuckled. “You’ll make a good housewife someday ya know.”
The young girl was so surprised, she had to shake her head twice. It was all coming back to her now. The caretaker lady was right, she did bring all her robes in this week and forgot all about them. Now she had no excuse, necessity was a harsh mistress after all. She walked over to the tub and washboard, tucked up her sleeves and dumped her load in. The washing took almost two hours to complete and by the end of it, Abbie was completely exhausted. She straightened herself up and wiped the sweat off her brow with her sleeve. Now, with all of her blue apprentice robes drying on the hanger, she took a peek at the gnomish clock above the door. It was not even nine. She still had to get new clothes and some breakfast. Especially breakfast, her stomach could attest to that.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:17 pm

She started for the door but saw something in the mirror that caught her attention. Not only was her shirt smudged with ink but some black spots were splattered all over her face too. Taking a piece of wet cloth, she proceeded to rub them out. The result was mostly successful. It would have to do for now, she thought, and left the washroom behind her for good. Trotting down the stairs – with slightly less enthusiasm than earlier – she felt something in her pocket. It was ten copper coins. Suddenly, an idea came into her head. She could buy some new clothes from the merchants outside the church. What terrific luck, she thought. As soon as she got to the entrance, she made a dash for the traders. Had to get those new togs before any of her peers notice, otherwise she would be the laughingstock of the Abbey… again.

Knowing about the busyness of Northshire, a group of merchants had set up shop here more than two years ago. Being so close to the Village of Goldshire, they expected a decent profit. And they were not wrong. Those two brown wagons, with their scarlet shades have become as much part of the scenery by now as the Abbey itself. From time to time, the students would earn some coin from their daily chores and could spend it here. One of Abigail’s passions was to browse the many exotic wares that were on display. Foreign lamps, ornamented tankards, beautifully sewn dresses and more. Her favorites were the laceless shoes. A private collection was already growing in her shoebox.
She went straight to the clothier, Dermot Johns. He had just finished dealing with two priest initiates and was about to tend to his stall when he saw her.
  • “Why Abigail! Nice to see you again. Fancy buying another pair of shoes?” Dermot beamed.
  • Giggling “Not today Mr. Johns. I have to buy some new clothes. As you can see…” she held her arms wide, showing off the splashes of dark ink.
  • “Oh, what a mess and I take it you got no clean clothes to wear?”
  • “Nope, I was uh… a bit lazy and well... ya know.” She confessed.
  • “Say no more, I’ve got just the thing.” Dermot rummaged around in the chest behind him and pulled out a neatly folded brownish-red shirt, together with matching light pants. “You are lucky too; they are exactly your size.”
  • “Thanks, I’ll take them.” With a relieved smile, Abigail put the ten copper on the counter and reached out for the clothes.
  • Hmm “You know I like doing business with you but ten copper is not going to cut it.”
  • “Oh, heh sorry, my bad. I’ll take just the shirt then.” She corrected herself nervously.
  • “I’m sorry Abbie but that won’t be enough, even for the one.” The merchant shook his head.
  • “But… But I bought some last week and it was enough.” She protested.
  • “Yes, and then all the other students caught wind of it, almost bought me out. I had to raise the prices. I guess you’ll just have to wait until your other clothes are clean, sorry.”
Much to the dismay of the poor farmgirl, those fresh, new clothes landed back in the chest and sealed, now permanently beyond her reach. The clank of the lock gave a sound to her despair. “Now what do I do?” she thought.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:11 pm

As she stood there completely defeated, the power of her hunger slowly rose over her shame. There were still three hours to go before lunch and she just could not wait that long. Stepping over to the general goods vendor, she politely browsed over his wares.
  • “Excuse me Brother Danil? What can I get for ten coppers?”
  • “I can give you one piece of bread and three red apples, dear.”
  • “Thank you, I’ll take them.” She relinquished the money to the old man.
  • “A pleasure, take care now.”
As soon as the food was in her grasp, she had decided to save the apples for later and was getting ready for the bread. After all, three hours is three hours. Just then, something landed on her shoulder. Yah! She got such a fright the bread fell right out of her hands and down in the mud. Her long-awaited breakfast; such a waste. She crouched down to mourn her food. Just then, she noticed what it was that had spoiled her meal. It was a tiny, fluffy brown squirrel. As soon as she laid eyes upon it, all was forgiven. She loved animals and squirrels were one of her favorites.
  • “Aww, now how could I be mad at you, ya little rascal!” she giggled and watched the squirrel with her head tilted. Her gaze followed the tiny creature’s every move with delight, utterly mesmerized by it. It got a bit closer, nose wiggling, smelling.
  • “Come here you adorable thing.” She held out her hand and the squirrel – after some hesitation – got on. Abigail held the creature close to her chest, feeling warm and bursting with joy. After all the mishaps today, this little moment made it all better. The squirrel wiggled and climbed around a bit, smelling and tickling her until it scurried down her side. And grabbed an apple from her bag.
  • “Wha? HEY! Come back here!” the furry thief had already made off towards the nearest tree with the stolen loot. Abigail chased after it like the wind. The tree in question – an old oak with a sturdy trunk and gnarled branches – was still a decent stone’s throw away. It stood slanted on the other side of a small hillock, as if about to fall over – root’s half above ground.
She was almost out of breath.

The squirrel disappeared in the bushes at the base of its home, with Abbie huffing and puffing behind it.

Pant pant “Heh, now I’ve got yooooouuuuuu…!” she cried out, tripping Hey! on something in the underbrush Ouch! and tumbled down the other side. The two apples she had left fell out of her pack and rolled away down the hill. For a brief moment, she saw them and died a little inside. She landed face first in the grassy mud, leaving her shirt that much worse for the wear. Still wheezing and gasping for air, she pushed herself up from the ground and turned on her back to face the stranger. Some of those ‘ouches’ did not come from her.
Last edited by Xantros on Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:41 am

A small person was lying there beside her, looking just as dirty and all the more angry. Abigail observed the strange man. She concluded that he was really small and standing up did not improve his stature by much. He was wearing dark robes with bright-red linen shoes, lending him a comical effect that she was sure, was not at all intended. The man dusted off his robes and finally turned to face his assailant with fury.
  • “Hey you! What’s the big idea ha?” he squeaked. “Knocking me down the hill like that?”
  • “I was ch… chasing a… my l-lunch and…” she panted and let her head drop back, still exhausted. “I… I can’t… kmmmh” she burst out giggling.
  • “What’s so funny? You almost got me killed!”
  • “I’m in much… giggle worse… shape than you.” She sat up and touched the red bump on her forehead. Ouch “My… everything hurts.”
  • Hmmph “Good! Maybe that will teach you to control your big, clumsy feet next time!” the tiny man grumbled and hoisted his nose up.
  • “Oh, pipe down you!” she exclaimed. “How was I supposed to know you were in the bushes and… hey, what WERE you doing in the bushes anyway? And for that matter who or what even are you?”
  • “First off, NONE OF YOUR DAMN BEEZWAX and second, how rude can a girl get?” He began fussing over his things that fell out of his bag. Abbie noticed that his bag was almost as big as him and chuckled a little. How such a tiny man could ever carry all that around was utterly beyond her. “Maybe, MISS CLUMSYFEET hey! can tell me who or whatever she is! Since she bumped into me in the first place.”
  • “Well, I’m me!” she blurted.
  • eyes rolling “Now we’re really making progress here.”
  • “Okay, now your turn.” said Abbie with an innocent smile.
  • “I don’t believe this! Of all the days!” he groaned. “Do you even know what I am?”
  • “Sure, you’re a… aaaa… umm…” she was starting to have a headache.
  • “Well?”
  • “A dwarf! That’s it!”
  • “A DWARF!!!!!!” he screamed. “Of all the… Do you see any beard on me anywhere?!!!”
  • “Uhhh…” she double checked to make sure. “No...”
  • “Do I smell like a barnyard and a brewery?” he ranted on.
  • “Umm… well.”
  • “You’re not supposed to answer that!”
  • “Oh.”
  • “Now that I have established that I’m not a dwarf can you guess what I am?” he tapped his foot impatiently.
  • “Hmm… short?” she smiled again.
  • His face turned bright red like a kettle heating up and he began fuming. If he had been a real kettle, the steam would have come out his ears by now.
  • “I’ll give you another bump right upside the head! Two insults in a row! What’s next?”
  • “I’m sorry it’s just that… well… you kinda are, aren’t you?” she was completely oblivious.
  • Now he was speechless, with his jaw wide open. “I… I give up. I’m a GNOME! Ever heard of that?”
  • “Oh… OHHH yeah I’ve read something about gnomes.” She remembered proudly “You make thingamabobbers and doohickeys and… umm… aaaand…!”
  • “Yes, well I guess I can’t expect a little human girl such as yourself to understand the engineering marv…”
  • “Hey! Who you callin a little girl?! I’m ten already!”

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:11 am

• “AHA, not so funny now when it’s done to you, huh?” A satisfied grin crawled onto his face.
  • “Alright, alright… sheesh.” She mumbled.
  • Hmmph “Quite the attitude on you, isn’t it?”
Abigail finally mustered enough energy to stand up. She was still numb from the fall and began to shake a bit. The bump on her head was throbbing painfully and made her feel dizzy. Her hollow stomach did not make the situation any better.
  • “So, what’s your name again?” asked the gnome.
  • “Oh. I’m… Abigail Molsen. From Westfall.” She added.
  • “Hmm, Westfall huh? Pretty far away from home, aren’t we?” he raised an eyebrow. “Running away or something?”
  • “Oh no… not like that. I’m just studying here at the Abbey.”
  • “Really?? Well, you sure don’t look like a priest.” He noted.
  • “I’m not. I’m a mage.”
  • “Bwahahahah! YOU! A mage? That’s rich.” The gnome laughed.
  • “Hey! What’s so funny? I AM a mage!”
  • “No way. You’re joking! No robe, no staff, no wand…”
  • “You don’t have a beard and you’re not a dwarf either, so there!” Abbie pouted, folding her arms.
  • Uhh “That’s not how…” he shook his head in surprise. “Whatever, I’m still not buying it.”
  • “Well… I am too!” she claimed, stomping her foot.
  • “Oh yeah? Prove it! Cast a spell.”
  • “I… umm… uhh I can’t!”
  • “There, I knew it. It’s a nice fantasy, girl, but it doesn’t make it true.”
  • “No, it’s true. I’m still studying. I’m just… not very good.” She confessed with some degree of shame.
  • Hrmmph “A mage who can’t spell. Who ever heard of that? Maybe you should go back to elementary level and start over.” The gnome teased.
  • “Oh HA… HA… very funny. You being Mr. Smartypants and everything. Well, I’ve got more important things to do than to listen to your lectures.”
  • “Hey, where are you off to?”
Abigail stormed off down the hill without another word. She was annoyed now – less so because of the gnome and all the more for how hungry she had become – and determined to find her lost food, whatever it takes.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:44 pm

The hill was not too steep or large but the woods at the base of it became all the more deep. The young girl looked up at the sky for a moment as she trotted downwards. She could barely see through the thick canopy above her. Elwynn Forest was an ancient woodland and believed by some historians to have been enchanted several millennia ago by elven ancestors. These old oaks and birches have larger trunks, stronger roots and greater crowns compared to other trees in nearby regions. Though the sun was slowly approaching its zenith for the day, its blazing rays barely managed to penetrate the dense leaves and branches.

Abigail ruffled through every bush in her path, turned every stone and searched above for anymore pesky squirrels but to no avail. It soon became clear to her that she had lost her last bit of food for good. And the gaping hole, where her stomach used to be, grew ever larger.
  • “Hey… huff huff wait up!” panted the gnome, coming up behind her.
  • “Oh great, it’s you again!” her voice was uncharacteristically cold. “Why are you following me?”
  • gasp “I’m… I… wasn’t done with you yet… girl!” the gnome wheezed.
  • “Oh yeah?! Well, I’m done with you!” she exploded. “In fact, I’m done with this whole day. I’ve got a headache, purple bruises, ink and dirt all over me and I blew all my money on food I can’t eat. And… As if that weren’t enough, I gotta listen to your irritating mouthing. I don’t have to take this; I should wallop… eee-eeehhhh.”
Abigail had petered out after using up her last bit of energy for the rant. She felt like a blown fuse and her vacant expression reflected that. The rumbling of her tummy was also loud enough now to be audible.
  • “What’s the matter girl? Not so tough now on an empty stomach, are you?” the gnome gloated.
  • “Sh-shut up… you…uuuhhhh.”
  • Tch tch tch “Such disrespect. And here I was even going to give you something I found on my way down. Look!” the gnome produced something from his bag.
It was an apple. A shiny, juicy, scrumptious red apple. Abigail was famished. Her eyes were knocking on their sockets. She knew he had her in his grasp and she had to give in.
  • “G-give… me… p-please…” she groaned.
  • “Uh uh uuuh.” The gnome wagged his finger side to side and pulled the apple away from her grasping fingers. “Not until you apologize for being so rude earlier.”
  • gulp “Okay… okay, I’m sorry I… uhh knocked you over… and mmm called you short or… whatever.” Abbie apologized grudgingly.
  • “I’m not talking about that!” the gnome exclaimed.
  • “Huh? Then what?”
  • “How can you not remember! You called me a DWARF!”
  • “But… you are both so…” she started but quickly shut it at the sight of her companion’s expression.
  • “So WHAT??”
  • “Uhh… Angry.” She finished.
  • “Huh. Well, I guess you are right, we do have a chip on our shoulder. But we are not alike in anything else, got it?”
  • "Got it I apologize for calling you a dwarf Mr. ‘Nome!” She blurted in one breath.
  • “Good. I can accept that. And here’s your apple. Next time look around better…” but the apple was already gone from his hand, completely devoured seeds and all, by a ravenous teenage farmgirl.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:18 am

• nom “Thankssh nom, fow findim mai… gulp appew. You weally sshaved me fwom shtarvin dere.” Abbie talked with her mouth full and swallowed the big lump all in one go. With her hunger temporarily satiated, her spirits began to rise and she was back to her happy, young self in no time. “Must be my lucky day after all. You ain’t half bad Mr. ‘Nome. Oh right, you haven’t told me your name yet?”
But Abigail soon regretted her politeness, for the gnome in question seemed like he had been waiting for this moment. A wide, proud grin spread across his cheeks as he cleared his throat and began his rhetoric.
  • Khhm Khhm “Indeed you are correct! This IS your lucky day my young human friend. For you have literally bumped into the one and only Lemagrag the Magnificent!” the gnome postulated. “Sorcerer Extraordinaire, Binder of Mystic Shadows, Slayer of…”
  • “Who?” she interrupted, totally lost in all the titles.
  • “Ehmm…” the gnome named Lemagrag showed a bit of frustration at having to stop in the middle of his oration.
  • “Don’t tell me you haven’t heard of my many achievements. They must have them written down in one of your books.”
  • Abigail thought long and hard for a few seconds, trying to recall anything she had read in the last week. It was not an easy task. Finally, she snapped her fingers. Ah!
  • “Nope.” She blurted.
  • “That can’t be. You are not following your studies well, girl.”
  • “It’s true, I don’t like to study but I do remember every book I have read and there was one about famous spellcasters. Your name wasn’t in it.” She shook her head.
  • “Are you absolutely certain?”
  • “Yep. I would remember a strange name like that.” She nodded.
  • hmm “Maybe they got it backwards. Happens all the time.”
  • “Now that would just make it sound more silly. But now I know your name!” she noted happily. “Lemagag…
    Lemmaraga… Lll-llee… uhhh mind if I just call you Lem for short?”
  • sigh “Fine I guess it can’t be helped.” The gnome gave in. “We should really be getting back. Got pretty far away from the Abbey as it is. Don’t want to attract any Kobolds.”

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Mon May 09, 2022 4:46 pm

The two of them set off together back towards the Church. They turned slightly to the North, to avoid having to climb back up the hill. The rays of the sun cast playful shadows through the leaves and the woodland scene became noticeably lighter. Everything was bathed in golden-green light and the gnome was feeling quite content. Then he noticed that it was too quiet. His companion has not said a word since they began backtracking and it was starting to bother him. He looked at Abigail and something was clearly bothering her.
  • “Lem…” she turned towards him, clearly concerned.
  • “What is it?”
  • “I gotta ask…”
  • “C’mon, out with it.”
  • “What does a… k-kobold l-look like?” she whispered.
  • “Oh. You see, a kobold is a bit like a dwarf.” He began. “Same size, beard, they both love to mine and they about smell just as bad too. Almost.”
  • “Sooo… what’s the difference?” she asked.
  • “They are vermin, they leave their trash everywhere and mess around with everyone’s stuff. At least you can reason with a kobold but dwarves? Hah no sir… oh wait, was that the other way around then? All in all, not much of a difference in my book.” He concluded.
  • “Are they… dangerous?” squeaked Abbie, looking around frantically.
  • “Nah, not really, one or two kobolds scare easy.”
  • “Well, they sure scare me easy.” She shivered.
  • “You humans always worry so much. And if anything happens, I’ll protect you.”
  • “I… I don’t feel so safe.”
  • “You doubt my magic?? Have you forgotten my titles?” Lem boasted again.
  • “How could I forget uhhh… Slayer of Extralarge Binders or something.”
  • “And don’t you forget it!”
Abigail smiled a little to herself. But Lem stopped abruptly.
  • “Wha… what is it?” Abbie whispered nervously.
  • “I thought I heard something.” He sharpened his ears. “Sounded like a beast growling.”
Abbie giggled.
  • “What’s so funny?”
  • giggle “That was me silly. I’m hungry again.” Her stomach gave off a low growl.
  • “What again? I thought it was a timber wolf or something.”
  • “Well, I only had the one apple.” She hesitated for a few moments. “Do you… have more?”

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Mon May 09, 2022 4:50 pm

Abbie looked at Lem with big, puppy dog eyes that she knew nobody, not even her stern teachers could resist. As it turned out, she had met her match with a most stubborn gnome.
  • “Oh no, you can forget about it. Those eyes won’t work on me!” the gnome was adamant. Darn!
  • “Well, can you at least give me a bite… or something.” Abbie begged.
  • “Alright… alright already, sheesh.”
Lem put down his heavy bag and started rummaging around in it, halfway disappearing inside with his feet sticking out. Abigail sat down on her knees, waiting with baited breath. So hungry. Right now, she could not think of anything but her stomach. The gnome finally pulled out something resembling food and her eyes locked on to it.
  • “Finally found it. Didn’t know I had so much of this.” Lem spoke with a triumphant voice.
  • “What is it?”
  • “This, my girl, is Darnassian Bleu. A well-known cheese of the nightelves. The dwarves in Ironforge love this stuff. Go on, down the hatch!”
Abigail frowned.
  • “Hey, don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. I like it myself mostly. It’s got a tad bitter taste but it fills you right up!” Lem was more enthusiastic about this cheese than anything else since their meeting. Abbie grudgingly took a piece of the cheese. The more she munched on it, the smaller her mouth got.
  • Pff “I knew it… it does taste like bleuh.” She complained.
  • “Oh well, more for me. And since you are this picky, you can forget about free food.”
  • “Don’t you have something edible? Anything?” Abbie whined.
  • “I do.” Lem was not amused at all.
  • “Well, can I have some of that please?”
  • “Not for free I said.”
  • “But… but…” she stuttered.
  • “No buts! And since you can’t pay for it, you’ll have to earn it!” he was adamant.
  • sigh “Okay… okay.” she knew she had walked right into it this time. “What do I have to do now?”
  • “You can carry my backpack for a while.”
  • “What?!? THAT heavy thing? No way!” she blurted in a shocked voice. She had smirked before, at how comical this large pack was for the gnome but now the tables had turned on her.
  • “No help, no food.”
  • “Ya know, I could just walk back to the Abbey and get lunch!” She countered.
  • “And we both know you can’t wait that long.” Lem knew he was right. Abbie’s surprised expression attested to that. “Now quit wasting time whining and start carrying.”
Abigail stood up slowly from her comfortable sitting position and took a step towards the brown backpack. As she examined it more closely, she noted that it was huge. Even for a human. And especially for her… but a deal is a deal. She grabbed the two straps and hoist it around her back, almost falling over from the sheer heaviness of it. Her hair got caught by one of the straps owww and she almost lost her balance trying to get it free. Finally, the bag was on. And her knees knocked under its weight. With her back slightly bent and arms tugging at the straps, she soldiered on.
  • “One, two, one, two… one… tw..” Abbie thought to herself, trying not to think of how heavy the load is. It was an uphill battle.
  • “I’ll have you know, I carry this all day.” Lem boasted.
  • huff huff “How in the… I mean… yeah… pant no biggie…” she lied clumsily. “It’s pretty… light… ugh let’s go.”
And off the two of them went into the enchanted Forest of Elwynn. A human farmgirl pant from Westfall and her gnome companion Lem. They did not know what adventures awaited them but one thing was sure. Abigail had learned an important lesson today. She learned that to pull her own weight, often meant carrying someone else’s.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Mon May 09, 2022 4:52 pm

I have been absent lately due to being very tired from work and having my PC upgraded. So here is a double page feature for those of you reading my story. Hope I didn't make you wait too long. Chapter II is coming up next... :)

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:37 am

Chapter II: A Girl and Her Gnome

The bright morning sun blazed over Northshire Valley. Like a giant candle, you could not take. Not a cloud was in sight and even the wind had died down. The Abbey bell had just recently tolled once, which made quite a stir around the building. All tasks, chores and businesses were suddenly dropped on the spot, as everyone remembered their stomachs. It was time for second breakfast. Except for the merchants and field workers – who made their own time – all who lived in the church were now rushing inside to get a better spot in the cafeteria line. The head teachers and priests would get their meals first and sit at their own table, while the students could even wait up to half an hour sometimes.

The bell tolled for a second time. This was the signal for the warriors and paladins to halt their training sessions. They would have their meals outside, in their tents or by the campfires. Once done, the sergeants would immediately resume the drilling.

It seemed as though the entire forest had been abandoned in an instant. Aside from the chirping of birds and crickets and the occasional rustling of leaves, Northshire Valley was quiet and peaceful. Calm, except for one particular spot deep in the woods, where a certain duo came trotting about, making a ruckus.
  • huff huff “Seriously… Are we… there yet?!” Abigail wheezed.
  • “Stop asking me that!” the gnome blurted. “You’ve been at it since we started and the answer is still NO!”
  • pant “Come on… I’ve been carrying… this ugh for hours and… can we stop now?”
  • “It’s been fifteen minutes only. Now stop distracting me, or we will never get there!”
  • “Knew we shoulda climbed back up the hill.” Abigail muttered to herself.
  • snort “And how do you suppose we lift my bag up there hmm?”
  • “I dunno… You got magic or somthn…”
  • “Not that kind of magic girl.” Lem replied and shushed her with a wave of his hand “Now be quiet for one second so I can reorient myself.” growl “And that goes DOUBLE for that bottomless pit you call a stomach!”
Abigail now regretted her pickiness deeply. Her back felt twice bent and legs tied to stones. That she would feel this for the next week, was a sad but accurate premonition of her dark future. They walked on heavily like this for a few more minutes; Abbie with the load on her back and gnome in front. Even more so than the weight and hunger, the silence was getting to her. It was becoming more and more difficult for her to stay quiet. She noticed Lem’s pace had gotten surer and he seemed rather pleased with himself.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:02 pm

• “Lem…” she started quietly, testing the waters a bit.
  • “Yeah?” it was now safe to talk.
  • “I… I’m sorry I… pant didn’t take the cheese earlier. Could I… huff have some now… please?”
The gnome stopped in his tracks immediately. He turned slowly towards the girl with an expression of sudden shock on his face. If he had been an undead, he would certainly have had to crouch to pick his jaw up from the ground.
  • “Did… Did you just apologize to me? In earnest?!” he pointed at her in disbelief.
Abigail nodded with a faint, tired smile. Looking her over, even this stick-in-the-mud gnome realized that she was at her limit and could not budge anymore. She was almost hunched and looked as if someone had dumped a bucket of rainwater over her head. Then her legs began to quiver slightly and the sight melted his heart.
  • “Perhaps I over did it a little.” He thought to himself. “Alright, we can stop here for a while. You can thud drop… the bag.”
As soon as the bag hit the ground so did Abbie, rolling on her back and breathing heavily. She was completely exhausted. From a distance it almost looked like she had fallen asleep on the spot. Lem rummaged around in his bag until Abbie came to. Eventually, she pushed herself up from the ground and sat with her legs crossed under her and hands between, watching intently.
  • “Here, something better!” the gnome tossed some food for Abbie to catch. “Eat up!”
  • “Yay, this I like.” She caught the pack of food joyfully and a pleased smile sprang onto her face. “Hewb Bwaket Egws. Maw fawit!”
  • “You should really learn to stop talking with your mouth full. Going to spoil half of it.” Lem shook his head in disapproval.
But Abbie was now completely in her own little world. The food was good and she could rest. That was enough for her. Lem pulled out some bleu and munched on it like it was some piece of dry bark. Nevertheless, he seemed to enjoy it somehow. Abigail had just started her third portion when the gnome swallowed his first and began to speak.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:20 pm

• Khmm Khmm “Abigail…” he began.
  • Munch “Ya…?”
  • “I can’t help but notice… well… your clothes.”
  • Crunch “Oh… gulp Yeah I know, I spilled some ink on them.” She replied, but was clearly preoccupied with eating.
  • “I thought I should let you know; I could make you some new clothes. I’m a tailor.”
Abbie munched on happily with a complete disregard for the world around her. The gnome’s words seemed to have not even reached her ears. Lem cleared his throat again and, since he got no audience, decided to let it rest. He got up to look around a bit at which part of the woods they were in. It was rather quiet in their spot, a robin was balancing on a tiny branch, occasionally letting out a wee chirp. Abbie reached for the fourth packet, when it slipped from her hand and dropped to the ground. She turned her head slowly towards the gnome with her eyes and mouth wide open.
  • “Y… You… Youuu… Oh my gosh, you’re a tailor!” she jumped up and ran over to him.
  • “Yes, snort I seem to remember mentioning something like that.” The gnome played himself up pompously.
  • “Oh, please please, could you make some for me! I really need them to not get in trouble again and…” she took a deep breath. “And… I would be forever in… wait… what… would I have to… do for them?” suddenly her voice was full of skepticism.
  • “Well…” the gnome pondered, stroking his non-existent beard. “There is a task I have to carry out here in the Valley. I think you could help me with that.”
  • “But I don’t wanna carry anything anymo-ore!” Abigail whined.
  • “Oh, quit it. That’s not what I meant… And besides, I can carry this bag all day no problem. You girl… are lacking in some serious exercise!”
  • “How would you even… No… it’s impossible. I almost fell over with that thing!” she pointed at the bag like it was some piece of moldy bread.
  • “Oh yeah? Well, see here! There’s nothin… hgnn to it.”
Lem tugged at the strap as hard as he could, biting his lip and turning as red as a ripe beetroot. In what could only be described as a pretty impressive display of gnomish strength, he had almost pulled himself into the ground.
  • Heh heh “Balance was a bit off there. Here we go… easy hunggn does… it!” he pulled and pulled but to no avail. The bag was immovable. pant “I… I don’t huff understand!”
  • “See? I told you it was too heavy.” Abbie concluded.
  • “But this cannot be. I carried it around all day. I even charmed… Oh.” The gnome slapped his forehead as a sudden realization hit him.
  • “What?” Abbie could not contain her restless curiosity. “What is it? Say something!”
  • “I… I have to make an apology to you, Abigail. I had charmed my bag using a light feather and some magic essence back in Ironforge so I could carry it all the way. I had completely forgotten that it could run out. So… I’m sorry.” Lem apologized honestly.
  • “You… you can do that? I’ve never… That’s amaz… I mean… wow!”
Abigail was in a mixed state of surprise and awe. She had never heard of such an outlandish way to use magic and now this unexpected apology. It took her a while before she could get out of it.
  • “Yes... well, heh I AM a gnome of many talents, as you know.” Lem boasted to his newfound fan. It was a habit he had a hard time getting rid of.
  • “That is… that sounds so cool! You gotta teach me this feather charm someda… wait a second… You... you let me carry that… HEAVY THING ALL BY MYSELF?!” reality had finally set in. “AND YOU KNEW… AND YOU CALLED ME WEAK!”
  • “I said I was sor…”
  • “NO! YOU SHUSH!” Abigail huffed and turned her back to the gnome.
Lem felt quite a bit guilty. She had every right to be angry with him after all. He did not know what to do now. In the next few minutes of silence – which felt like ages – he had thought of at least a dozen things to say but none of them seemed good enough right now. Then, suddenly, he remembered! And rushed to his bag, while Abigail was still busy pouting. She noticed the noise but paid no attention to it on purpose. She was determined to draw this one out.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:56 pm

• khmm “Oh Abiiigaiill! I got something you will like!” Lem charmed, with an unexpected voice that could melt butter.
Abigail turned halfway towards him, with arms folded and a squinted look on her face. She acted cold and distant but not altogether unapproachable.
  • “I’m angry with you now!” she puffed at him.
  • “I know and you should be. But allow me to make it up to you!”
  • “I don’t know…” she shrugged her shoulder and turned away.
  • “I said I could make you a new robe. How about I double it up and make you an even better one? A robe that the students here could only dream of. A robe woven with magical linen!” Lem’s voice had now taken on a mystical tone.
  • “WHAT, REALLY? cough I mean… maybe… I have to think about it!” Abigail lost her composure for a brief moment and her eyes glistened. He certainly had a way with words it seemed.
  • “If you don’t like it, you can tear it up or do whatever you feel with it. But I promise it will be special! How about it? Deal?”
  • Hmm “Well… I don’t… okay fine… but I’m still angry with you!” Abbie gave in grudgingly.
  • “I understand… and you are right. But I gave you my word and with THIS I intend to seal that promise.”
Lem triumphantly produced a bolt of linen cloth from his pocket. Abigail was unable to continue on with her pouting. Her curiosity had completely overpowered all other emotions and she was already ogling the piece of cloth. It was unlike any she had seen before. The weave of the cloth shimmered and twinkled in a variety of ways from every angle she looked.
  • wow “What is it?” Abbie asked with childlike wonder.
  • “Enchanted linen, my girl.” Lem tugged at the neckline of his robe with pride. “I won it off a drunken dwarf in a card game back in Ironforge! Easiest game of my life!” hah
  • “Honestly… that’s not very nice of you Lem. Taking advantage of someone like that… Is that even fair?” Abigail frowned.
  • “Oh… I mean dwarves are always drunk. He was just a lousy player.”
Abbie was looking intently at the cloth again. The enchanted fabric had completely mesmerized her and she felt a sense of calm when gazing at it. But something was bugging her and her eyebrows had woven together in another frown. She turned to her companion.
  • “So… how… umm… how are you gonna make a whole robe out of this lil thing here?”
  • “I’m glad you asked. To put it simply, I will weave your robe first using normal linen. Then I will embroider it with the magical one.” Lem explained. “This will give your robe special properties and just by wearing it, your own magical abilities will be improved.”
  • “But… I have no magical abilities.” Abbie said with a somber tone.
  • “All it takes is proper training girl. And perhaps, the robe itself will help you discover some of your natural talents by yourself.”
  • “Really? You think so?” the somber tone shifted over to hopeful.
  • “It is a theory we shall have to test out when it is ready.” Seeing Abbie rocking back and forth slightly in an excited way, he added: “It will take me some time to make it though. At least several hours.”
  • “That’s okay. My other robes should be dry by the time we are back so… I can wait.” Abbie beamed with a happy smile. She actually could not wait.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:23 pm

The gnome jumped into his large travel bag and tossed out several heavy looking tools and other metal equipment. Among them were a pair of calipers, a tiny stepladder, a pair of electronic goggles and a tape measure among other things.
  • “What is all that for?” she asked.
  • “I have to take your measurements.” Lem put on his goggles and turned it on. whiiiirrrr “How else would I know what size to make it. You don’t want to end up dressed in a baggy robe, trust me.”
  • “What?! Out here? No way… I’m not undressing… It’s too cold!” she whined.
  • “Who said anything about…?” he shook his head. “All I need is this here tape and calipers and my goggles will save the numbers for later. Sheesh! Now get over to that stump so I can reach.”
Abigail did as she was instructed and stood awkwardly on the spot indicated. The gnome planted his stepladder on top of the stump and began climbing. She almost burst out in laughter when she observed the whole ordeal. A gnome in robes, with pink-lens goggles over his head, climbing a ladder on a stump. It was too much.
“Okay, now arms up! This won’t take long.” Lem put the tape around her. “Let’s start with the waist.”
Abbie assumed a T-pose and a serious face on the command. Her discipline did not last long, however, and she began snickering. A sense of frustration began growing inside the gnome until he had enough.
  • “Will you stop your fidgeting? How am I supposed to work here?”
  • “Sorry! giggle I’m ticklish!” she laughed.
  • “That’s just grand… well, hold it in! I’m almost done here… AND ARMS UP!”
She threw herself in a T-pose again, this time making concentrated effort to not snicker. It was almost as good as soft torture. Luckily, she had spotted the robin they heard chirping earlier and her eyes fixated on it, leaving all ticklish sensations behind. Some time had passed and Lem had moved on to her elbows, standing tiptoe off the highest step of his ladder. Abigail had quickly gotten bored of standing in the pose. She had always felt the need to move and could not stand to be in-place for more than a few minutes. Her attention began to wonder around the area and unfortunately, her upper body tended to follow suit.
  • “Stop squirming!”

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:25 pm

• Sigh “Are you done yet?”
  • “The answer is still no… for the third time!” Lem knew he was already done with the whole thing but sadly he also knew he was not done with the measurements. “If you don’t keep still, we will be here all day!”
  • “But I’m boo-oored!” Abigail whined.
  • “Oh, for the love of… What should I do with you?”
  • “Umm…”
  • “I was thinking to myself.” Lem corrected.
  • “You could tell me a story…”
  • Ugh “I don’t DO stories, girl…"
  • “But I wanna hear a story about you.” She smiled innocently.
  • “You already know my feats and titles. What more is there to tell…”
Abigail thought for a second. And then another couple more seconds. Eventually Lem went back to his measuring. He had moved over to the other arm, his goggles making snapshots of all the important values. It was a calm and relaxing thing for him; to calculate and zone out completely.
  • “FRIGGLEFRAGGLES!” Abbie shouted suddenly.
Lem got such a fright, he had to latch onto her not to fall off his ladder.
  • “Wha-… pant What the heck… pant Are you crazy?!!”
  • “I remembered!” said Abbie with no small pride in her voice. “My sister told me when we were little: Gnomes work in clanky workshops. They make doohickeys, thingamabobbers and frigglefraggles. Tell me about those!”
  • “I haven’t the slightest clue as to what you are referring.” Lem was perplexed.
  • “Well… those… umm… gadgets you use and… make.”
  • “Oh, I see! You wish to learn about the technological wonders of Gnomeregan! I’ll tell you now, I’m no professional engineer but I may have dabbled in it a bit in my younger years.”
Lem was on the pedestal again. All to please his adoring fans. Of which, there was only one. That one at least listened now with intent, which made his performance a lot easier.
Last edited by Xantros on Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:26 pm

I had way too much work in the last 2 weeks, so for my absence you get a Double page post this time.

Savionight

Post by Savionight » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:33 am

Wow! Really nice, those arts were made by you?

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:52 pm

Yes they were. :) I write my own story and make my own artwork for it.
Happy you like it!

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:00 pm

• “Okay, so I’ve got this short story for you Abbie. Me and my old pal Pip, we used to build electronic devices as a hobby. I must say, we were quite the recombobulator amateurs.” heh
“Aha. Yeah.” Abbie was nodding in excitement, although she had not the slightest idea what any of that meant. All she got was ‘Pip’.
  • “So, one day, Pip was running a metallurgic scan on a cave and it picked up a signal for GOLD! But not just a vein… It was a CHEST!”
  • “Wow. That’s lucky! What happened next?” now she was on the same track.
  • “We made double sure of this finding and we went to check out the cave for ourselves. Trouble is, the entrance had collapsed.” Lem continued. “Good thing I was prepared and brought along my gyromechanic drill!”
  • “Honestly, that sounds… pretty cool!”
  • “Doesn’t it? haha You should really see one in action. You fire it up and that diamond tip will drill through anything!” for once, there was no audible exaggeration in the gnome’s voice.
Abigail was never much of an engineer or mechanic. She had worked the family farm mostly. But her earliest memories as a child were that of playing with her father’s tools. And hearing these stories of bigger and more dangerous equipment, brought out a rare side of her.
  • “So, there I was… diamond drill in hand, protective faceplate, everything ready… I fired it up… chunks of rock splitting into microbits, ricocheting off my visor…”
  • “Yeah?” Abbie was all ears, eyes wide with excitement.
  • “Then… the drill broke down!” Lem concluded.
  • “What?? No way…”
  • “I tell you just like it happened.”
  • “But… but… diamond..tronic..mechadrill! It can’t break down!” Abbie was shaking her head in disbelief.
  • “Tell me about it! I was even more surprised than you! I probably hit some really hard bit of rock. The moment the drill got stuck, it shook me and knocked me two meters back.” Lem shook visibly from that memory.
  • “That must have hurt a lot.”
  • “Oh yeah! You bet… but not as much as the realization that I had barely made a small dent. We were back to square one.”

Jongyi

Post by Jongyi » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:06 am

We need more ppl like you so that the game can be more than meta and focus on stories of ppl involved including some rp with Npcs too

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:00 pm

Thank you Jongyi! I try to translate the game mechanics into a more realistic/fantasy form. :)
Later you will see more NPCs closely involved in the story.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:16 pm

• “So… you guys gave up?” Abbie asked curiously.
  • pfff “Do you take me for a quitter?!!” Lem held his caliper up in a threatening manner.
  • gulp “I mean… hehe Nope… not you of course! It’s what I would do… hehe
  • “Good, because I never quit. Remember that!” Lem boasted. “So, where was I? Oh yeah, we had a broken drill now and no progress. Then Pip came up with the most brilliant idea ever!”
  • “Go on! What was it?”
  • “He said, why don’t we retrofit the drill as an energy channeling funnel and then hook it up to a recombobulator, with a new powercell and…”
  • “Wait... hold on.” Abbie interrupted. “What does that Remumble-ator do?”
  • “The recombobulator you mean?” Lem corrected her.
  • “Yes… that!”
  • “Well… it’s kind of hard to explain. It can do a lot of things. It can heal wounds, alter the molecular structure… umm… bake your soufflé… pretty much anything you can imagine.”
  • “Oh… well that sounds pretty convenient.” Abbie concluded with some skepticism.
  • “Yes well… you may think so… but it can actually do all that… and more. And it makes one mean soufflé to be honest. But back on track. So, we put all of that together and we got a device Pip dubbed, the Metallurgic Evaporator! Pretty cool, eh?” Lem winked.
  • “Hmm… Okay that does sound cool actually…!” Abbie smiled. “What happened next?”
  • “We turned it on and this beam of energy came bursting out at the rock. In mere seconds, there was nothing left but dust and smoke!”
  • “Holy… How can that… Is that for real??”
  • “It sure was!” Lem remembered fondly. “Too bad we also got half the cave with it… including the chest.”
  • “Oh… I’m so sorry about your treasure … And what happened to your friend after all this?”
  • “Oh, Pip? Ah, he almost tore out what little hair he had left on the spot. But later he made a plan to remake that contraption and make it more precise. He’s in Ironforge in Tinker town last he wrote.”
  • “Have you ever thought of joining up with him again? To finish your gadget together?”
  • “I had entertained that thought for a while… But… I started pursuing other interests… in magic ya know… and well… he did not approve…” the gnome paused for a while, then finished his measuring with a few last clicks. “I’m all done here.” Lem got off the ladder.
  • “Mmm” Abbie was lost in thought for a few moments.

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:10 am

• “You can put your arms down now.” He pointed out.
  • “Oh right, heh … that’s a relief.”
  • “I’ll begin making your robe once you are back at the Abbey.” He said, taking off his goggles and putting away his equipment.
  • “Lem…” said Abbie in a quiet voice.
  • “What is it?” he asked, still fussing over his tools.
  • “Thank you.”
  • “No problem. A deal is a deal after all.” He waved it off.
  • “No, I didn’t mean that.”
Lem looked over in surprise. “For what then?”

Abbie’s eyes glistened over her innocent smile. “For sharing this amazing story with me. This whole day was awful but… I’m happy now.”

Lem didn’t know what say to her now. He had not expected this reaction and, though he tried his best to hide it, he got a bit teary eyed from the sincerity of her voice. Something, that Abigail did not fail to notice.
  • Sniff “Well… umm… we should probably… get going now.” Lem suggested, in a weak tone.
    “How are we going to move your bag, silly?” Abbie pointed at the equipment with a distrustful frown. “It’s heavy again, remember?”
It took him a moment and considerable effort but the gnome managed to regain his composure. Only now did the realization hit him – she was right. He had completely forgotten all about the light enchantment wearing off. Scratching his head, he quickly weighted their options.
  • “Hmmm…”
  • “Well??” Abbie waited impatiently.
  • “Can’t you hold your horses for a few seconds?! I’m thinking here!”
  • “Oh… sorry…” she chirped and folded her arms, kicking a pebble to pass the time.
  • “Okay, I think I have a solution!” Lem slammed his fist on his palm.
  • “Oh!... What! What!”
  • “Our best option is to leave it where it is…” he concluded with a nod.
  • “Huh? That’s all you came up with?!” Abbie asked in disbelief.
  • “Have you got a better idea?”
  • “Well… umm… why don’t you… umm… charm it again?”
  • “Hmm… I admit, that’s not a bad way of thinking there, girl. Unfortunately, I’m not an enchanter. I bought the materials ready-made in Ironforge.” Lem explained. “I had thought of learning the craft though. They say it complements the tailoring profession quite nicely.”
  • “Well… geez that’s too bad but… why didn’t you learn it then? Would be swell right now!”
  • “For many reasons. First of all, I don’t have the time to handle another profession. I’m still an engineer and I had only recently picked up tailoring. Besides… I don’t have the coin. You don’t know how expensive enchanting can get and it does not pay you back in the short term.
  • “I wanna help you!” Abbie exclaimed with a genuine desire. “But I used up all my allowance earlier… and…”
  • “I appreciate your intentions Abigail but we are talking about large amounts of gold in the long run. Not something I would expect even the both of us to pay anytime soon.” The tone of Lem’s voice shifted to convey realism. “No… no, I’m afraid it is best if we leave it here.”
  • “Out here in the woods?! But… but… what if someone takes it or… it sure looks expensive!”
  • “There is no need for any concern my dear girl.” Lem began postulating again. “Or have you forgotten who you are dealing with?”
Abbie opened her mouth to reply but quickly reconsidered, remembering her past experiences with the gnome called Lemagrag. She now knew better than to question his abilities and merely asked:
  • “How?”

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:47 am

• "Simple my dear. The contents of this bag are bound to me. Soulbound, I should say!”
Abbie frowned again.
  • “You look like you have never heard of the term!” Lem exclaimed in his surprise.
She shook her head.
  • “Don’t they teach you anything in that school of yours?! Sigh Okay, I will indulge you.” Lem began his usual rhetoric. “Simply put, soulbinding is a process that happens by itself, whenever anyone puts on an item with magical properties. You see, we are all connected through magic one way or the other. Even if one cannot use magic, we are still forming bonds.”
  • “And magical items bind themselves to the wearer.” The gnome paused for a second to let Abbie catch up, then he continued. “Of course, you can remove them at any time but no one else may wear them. This is how it works.”
  • “Wow… I didn’t know that!” Abbie was amazed at all the new things she had learned this morning.
  • Heh “Well, I’m glad I could teach you something.” Lem proclaimed with pride. “Even so, best not to leave it out in plain sight. I would rather not have my equipment get damaged. Can you help me drag it to that hollow tree over there?”
Abigail nodded with a smile. “At least, I can do that.”

Both of them grabbed a leather strap each, lifted it up and began hauling the dead weight over to the hollowed tree. Abigail realized that – though it was still heavy – with two, it was not so bad. The gnome was a lot stronger than he looked. The tree was only a few meters away but after they had reached it and tucked the bag inside, they really had to pause and catch their breath.

The girl suggested that they should cover up the hollow with some leaves and twigs, just in case. Lem nodded, silently concluding that this mere farmgirl was quite a crafty survivalist, though she lacked only in field experience. Once the hole was “plugged”, the gnome sorcerer took out his map once more.
  • Hmm “Okay, if we continue the way we have, then we should be seeing the Abbey soon. Let’s go!”
  • “Are you sure?” Abbie frowned.
  • “You doubt my…?”
  • “Yes!” she said, with some degree of assertiveness in her voice now. “I think we are going the wrong way!”
  • “And just how would you know that missy? Hmm? I’m the one with the map!” he proclaimed in a loud voice.
  • “Well… you see this here moss?”
  • “I see it, yes.”
  • “Moss always grows on the north side of trees. And we rolled down that hill to the north of the Abbey. So… that means we have to go the opposite way from the moss!” She gave a happy, proud smile. “I read that in a geography book.”
  • “That’s rubbish!”
  • “Nuh-uh!” she protested.
  • “According to the latest research of the Gnomish Institute of Natural Sciences, moss grows on the south side!”
  • “Research shmeasearch!” said Abbie, mocking him.
  • Hmmph “I would rather trust an official Institute over some school book!”
  • “Yeah… well… ya know what… gnomes dunno anything anyways, so there!” she pouted.
  • “You can puff up all you want but science speaks for itself!” her attitude did not work on him this time.
  • “Youuu… I… ugh okay I give up. Maybe you are right.”
  • “Of course, I am right! Now quit complaining and follow me!”

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:16 pm

Chapter III: Echo Ridge

Lem started with surprising speed and the two found themselves climbing under upturned roots, wading through bushes and muddy earth. Abigail had never felt so dirty and scruffy in her whole life. She was really in need of a long bath and a change of clothes. She noticed that her gnomish companion’s pace had increased to such a degree, she almost had trouble keeping up. That he could pass under branches she would hit herself with, did not improve her situation either. They stopped for a brief moment and Abbie wiped some sweat off her forehead. It was getting rather damp under the dense canopy and as she looked up, she realized that she could just barely see the sun.

The filtered golden light, made the tree leaves appear as shimmering emeralds up above. For a brief moment, time had ceased to exist for her, as she walked on, gazing at this sight of natural beauty. She almost tripped over Lem when the gnome stopped abruptly in front of her.
  • ouch “Didn’t I tell you to watch your big, clumsy feet?!” the gnome whined.
  • “Why you… don’t just stop like that!”
  • “I had to… we are lost!” he exclaimed.
  • “Yeah...? Well… next time you… wait… WHAT??!”
  • “Look at the moss around those trees… we were both wrong.” Lem confessed.
The trees around them had moss growing on different sides, standing blatantly against Gnomish Science. The gnome scratched his balding head in disdain.
  • “I am at a loss now…” he admitted. “I can’t figure out where we are, even with this map, so I guess we better just keep going until we reach a landmark.”
  • “That’s it? That’s your big idea?!” Abbie was confounded.
  • “You got anything else up your sleeve, girl?”
  • “Actually… umm… not really…” she confessed.
Lem waved it off “Ahh, don’t worry about it, let’s just stick to the direction we are headed.”

Mantigora

Post by Mantigora » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:32 am

It makes me happy to see two sides of your work come together!
(Since I already read the story, I would love turtle_in_love to see the drawing for the final scenes!)
It is nice if you can draw like that! I need to make do with Screenshots etc. smiling_turtle_head

Xantros

Post by Xantros » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:33 pm

What a nice comment, thank you.
They did, didn't they? And I'm happy for it and more to come! :)