Early druid ability - Play dead

Lexi

Early druid ability - Play dead

Post by Lexi » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:46 pm

Play dead was an ability that worked very similarly to the hunter's feign death in early builds of wow. I'd love to see its return. It was useable in kitty form and had a longer cooldown than feign death, 10 minutes if I remember correctly. This could add a new playstyle in raids for druids, allowing them ocassionally fulfill the pulling role. Dash in, feral faerie fire, play dead against mobs that can be awkward to pull. Additionally it could give druids a choice if they wanna pop their brez to recover from a wipe rather than using it in the heat of battle. Overall its a simple ability that gives druids more choices, and gives druids another meaningful cd, very few druid abilitys have one.

Pfwg

Re: Early druid ability - Play dead

Post by Pfwg » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:05 am

I couldn't see such a minor buff to cat form affecting anything, balance-wise.

Also, both stealth classes getting a threat drop would add a little parity to what is a chronically underperforming class.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of Gifted."

Lexi

Post by Lexi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:17 pm

Just updating this post with the spell. https://database.turtle-wow.org/?spell=5223 It would have to be changed to energy rather than mana and maybe have some other things adjusted.

Balake

Post by Balake » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:58 pm

Mana on the tooltip is just visual, the resource is just called "mana" in the database no matter what it actually is. https://database.turtle-wow.org/?spell=1752 sinister strike for example shows 45 mana when it costs 45 energy. https://database.turtle-wow.org/?spell=1822 rake is another example, for kitten druids. shows 40 mana. So I'm guessing Blizzard intended for it to be a cat form ability from the beginning, and costing 40 energy.

Schwrop

Post by Schwrop » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:31 pm

Love the idea. One more point to druid versatility.
However, it would affect PVP and work like rogue Vanish. You could pop Play Dead and then Prowl.
Pounce 3 sec stun > Rake/Claw > powershift for energy > Shred > powershift > Play Dead > Prowl > Ravage > Ferocious Bite/Rip.
maintenance_turtle Felgorn turtle_tongue

Kazgrim

Post by Kazgrim » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:22 am

I’m in the camp of “add everything from beta/alpha wow”, so naturally this has my approval. Higher ups might be more skeptical though.
Chieftain of the Dreadskull Clan
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=552

Check out my patches in the modding section!
viewforum.php?f=29

Balake

Post by Balake » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:23 pm

The biggest change is it's a huge buff to druids in raids, I think play dead would drop all aggro so a healer can just go to cat form, use it, then leave cat form and drink. However, it's got a 10 minute cooldown unlike the hunter's 30 second cooldown so it can only be used once every few pulls.

Lexi

Post by Lexi » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:39 am

If we don't want resto druids to abuse it easily and drink mid fight, perhaps the spell could be changed slightly so that when a druid changes into kitty form it puts play dead on a 30sec to a minute timer before it can be used.

Balake

Post by Balake » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:53 pm

Lexi wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:39 am
If we don't want resto druids to abuse it easily and drink mid fight, perhaps the spell could be changed slightly so that when a druid changes into kitty form it puts play dead on a 30sec to a minute timer before it can be used.
To be honest I'm fine with giving druids midcombat drinking on a 10 minute cooldown. They're already the weakest of the healing classes (I think) and a lot of times their innervation goes to a priest anyways. And it needs coordination to use because the druid is out of commission for the long period of drinking and the other healers will have to work extra hard during it.

Unangwata

Post by Unangwata » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:55 pm

Generally combat breaking abilities are OP. However druid doesn't seem gets lots of advantage from it. It can't stealth and rez party after wipe. Ability to drink is nice tho but maybe not game breaking. I wonder of pvp, ability to re-stealth looks kinda strong.