Risk Your Item: The Power of Fel Fragments

Ibux
Has liked: 2 times

Risk Your Item: The Power of Fel Fragments

Post by Ibux » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:50 pm

Fel Fragments are rare and powerful items that have a low chance to drop from disenchanting blue or epic loot. These fragments possess the ability to alter the very essence of your equipment.

When a Fel Fragment is used on an item, one of four outcomes may occur:

1. Enhancement: The item gains a random beneficial stat, enhancing its power. The strongest enhancements will have a lower chance of being selected than the weaker ones.
2. Diminishment: The item loses a random stat, reducing its effectiveness.
3. Transmutation: The item transforms into a random item of lower quality. An epic item might become a rare item, or a rare item might become an uncommon item.
4. Stasis: The item remains unchanged. However, the Fel Fragment is still consumed in the process.

This mechanic is meant to introduce a thrilling element of risk and reward, making each use of a Fel Fragment a momentous decision.

It’s important to note that a Fel Fragment can only be used once on any given item. Possibly only on some types of equipment. Like for example "Bind on Equip" (BoE) items.

Alternatively, this corruption-like system can be used to help extend the time bgs are still relevant. Here are some ideas on how it could be.

Battleground Master Enchanter: Each battleground could have its own enchanter NPC who specializes in upgrading items from that battleground’s faction.

Upgrades: The enchanter could offer to try to upgrade an item in exchange for BG marks and Fel Fragments.

Faction-Specific Bonuses: Each battleground faction could have its own unique set of possible enhancements that can be rolled on the items. This would make each faction more unique.

Enhancement Removal: The enchanter could offer a service to remove enhancements from an item, in exchange for a large number of BG marks. This would provide a way for players to mitigate the negative enhancements. It would naturally not be possible if there was no enhancement on the equipment to remove.

Use your Fel Fragments wisely! turtle_tongue_head
Last edited by Ibux on Mon May 06, 2024 12:29 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Sauceman89

Re: Risk Your Item: The Power of Fel Fragments

Post by Sauceman89 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:33 pm

I'm gonna say no to this one, Chief. I've seen similar systems in other Korean-esque F2P MMOs like Vindictus and its such a bleh system.

"This mechanic introduces a thrilling element of risk and reward, making each use of a Fel Fragment a momentous decision."

From my experience if you want something like this go play Vindictus, Menma's TERA, or any other Korean MMO that has this.

EDIT:
I should explain how I look at this suggestion.

Lets break this down:
"1. Enhancement: The item gains a random beneficial stat, enhancing its power."
Problem with this is getting the wrong stat on an item. For example if I used this on a T2.5 or T3 Mage Item and I get Strength or Agility stat, then that buff becomes useless, especially since you can only turn in T2.5/3 armor token once at this time.

"2. Diminishment: The item loses a random stat, reducing its effectiveness."
I get the appeal of this as a punishment if the fel frag fails, but again with how Tier 2.5 and 3 gear operates with only getting it once, its just a big no.

"3. Transmutation: The item transforms into a random item of lower quality. An epic item might become a rare item, or a rare item might become an uncommon item."
Might as well just have the fragment destroy that gear piece. Very shitty thing to happen if you use it on a Tier 2.5 or 3 piece. Hell even Tier 1 and 2 gear as then you have to go back into MC/BWL and try to get that gear piece again.

"4. Stasis: The item remains unchanged. However, the Fel Fragment is still consumed in the process."
Same as enchantment gachas in Korean MMOs.
Characters:
Ithiliana - Level 60 Overzealous Fire Mage
Dragon knight of <The Blackwing Guard>

Former Phoenix Knight of <Heirs of Quel'Thalas>

*When in doubt, rub one out.*

Imonobor

Post by Imonobor » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:59 pm

Yeah no, WoW is not that kind of game. Such systems dramatically increase the minmax ceiling, allowing nolifers to get leagues ahead of everyone else just by putting thousands of hours into grinding gear and "slamming" it until they get the perfect modifier.
These mechanics are more appropriate for games like Diablo, where the item stats are randomized in the first place, and you are getting way more gear drops to experiment with.
As it was mentioned, in MMOs this stinks of shitty RNG pay-to-win money drain systems from asian MMOs.
Big no from me, sorry.
Nydas - 60 High Elf Mage (Nordanaar)
Farren - 60 Tauren Shaman (Nordanaar)
Gothric - 15 Human Paladin (Nordanaar)
Markal - 58 Undead Priest (Tel'Abim)

Hctwowfan
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Hctwowfan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:10 pm

Sounds like a great idea.. for a different game.
Exlusively playing hc, alive toons below
Immortal Nikora Halazi Mbamba Ofofu Qsetmizi Qsetnizi
59.99 Qiri Byomvin Toraya Bjomvin Peppa Tepsi Ufofo Yolani Ygritt Rhanja Yolari Qsetlizi Bsomdi Kiri Nemsi Ufufo Ofufu
50+ Oronil Lenymo Hazaru

Gantulga

Post by Gantulga » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:44 pm

I fucking hate randomization on gear in a MMO.

Sladyer

Post by Sladyer » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:48 am

ok let me use this Chaos Scroll on my newly obtained 2 wa Face Stomper shoe, hopefully i can get a 7 wa 4 slot :DDDD

wow the scroll lights up and some magical thing happend, the scroll successfully lands!

defense get a +5 , 2 wa and my screen was gone

Bigsmerf

Post by Bigsmerf » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:02 pm

Hey, pass the pipe. That shit must be GOOD.
Elmhoof - 60 Feral, between tanking/dps (Main)
Anbone 34 Shadow Priest (Planned secondary main)
Manypunchman - 10 Naked Troll Boxer (Hardcore)

I'm back! More or less...

Ibux

Post by Ibux » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:41 pm

Sauceman89 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:33 pm
I'm gonna say no to this one, Chief. I've seen similar systems in other Korean-esque F2P MMOs like Vindictus and its such a bleh system.

"This mechanic introduces a thrilling element of risk and reward, making each use of a Fel Fragment a momentous decision."

From my experience if you want something like this go play Vindictus, Menma's TERA, or any other Korean MMO that has this.

EDIT:
I should explain how I look at this suggestion.

Lets break this down:
"1. Enhancement: The item gains a random beneficial stat, enhancing its power."
Problem with this is getting the wrong stat on an item. For example if I used this on a T2.5 or T3 Mage Item and I get Strength or Agility stat, then that buff becomes useless, especially since you can only turn in T2.5/3 armor token once at this time.

"2. Diminishment: The item loses a random stat, reducing its effectiveness."
I get the appeal of this as a punishment if the fel frag fails, but again with how Tier 2.5 and 3 gear operates with only getting it once, its just a big no.

"3. Transmutation: The item transforms into a random item of lower quality. An epic item might become a rare item, or a rare item might become an uncommon item."
Might as well just have the fragment destroy that gear piece. Very shitty thing to happen if you use it on a Tier 2.5 or 3 piece. Hell even Tier 1 and 2 gear as then you have to go back into MC/BWL and try to get that gear piece again.

"4. Stasis: The item remains unchanged. However, the Fel Fragment is still consumed in the process."
Same as enchantment gachas in Korean MMOs.
Thank you for your feedback. it makes a lot of sense. I've thought about it and wonder if it might have worked if you could only use it on things that are not soulbound. then there would be less complications with things like t3 and raiding. if you don't do raids, you can still try your hand at this mini game. and with that you get more out of things like dungeons. as you need more equipment to perfect. you also get more variety in the sale with this type of equipment. things that drop and crafted things. also if you got number 4 (Stasis) then the equipment could become soulbound which then means that you cannot use it again. number 3 (Transmutation) could also have a small chance of being upgraded to new not-before-seen epic equipment.

Sauceman89

Post by Sauceman89 » Wed May 01, 2024 4:37 pm

Ibux wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:41 pm
Thank you for your feedback. it makes a lot of sense. I've thought about it and wonder if it might have worked if you could only use it on things that are not soulbound. then there would be less complications with things like t3 and raiding. if you don't do raids, you can still try your hand at this mini game. and with that you get more out of things like dungeons. as you need more equipment to perfect. you also get more variety in the sale with this type of equipment. things that drop and crafted things. also if you got number 4 (Stasis) then the equipment could become soulbound which then means that you cannot use it again. number 3 (Transmutation) could also have a small chance of being upgraded to new not-before-seen epic equipment.
You're welcome ^_^

Even if this was implemented for BoE gear you will still see push back on this as it follow gacha elements, which would not go well in an older game like WoW (Example: The backlash from the Easter Egg gacha). This would definitely be popular in the Asian market as they are accustomed to minmax grinding with items like these, even spending thousands of dollars on it (Would lead into RWT issues this server does not need). But in a 20+ year old non-Asian MMO you're asking for your non-Asian player base to leave the server if this was ever implemented.
Characters:

Ibux

Post by Ibux » Wed May 01, 2024 5:04 pm

Sauceman89 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 4:37 pm
Ibux wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:41 pm
You're welcome ^_^

Even if this was implemented for BoE gear you will still see push back on this as it follow gacha elements, which would not go well in an older game like WoW (Example: The backlash from the Easter Egg gacha). This would definitely be popular in the Asian market as they are accustomed to minmax grinding with items like these, even spending thousands of dollars on it (Would lead into RWT issues this server does not need). But in a 20+ year old non-Asian MMO you're asking for your non-Asian player base to leave the server if this was ever implemented.
isn't gacha just paying real money for random stuff?
this suggestion was mostly based on my experience with the corruption system from games like project diablo 2 and path of exile. it was fun to me, and many others. and it is totally optional to risk your items. i usually just wait until i got some extra items i don't really need. or if i'm feeling like trying my lucky. i'm sure there are lots of people on the server that just hang around in town because they got most of the stuff by now anyway.
Corruptions
Corruption Explained

Sauceman89

Post by Sauceman89 » Wed May 01, 2024 5:21 pm

Ohhh you meant by the Diablo 2 Worldstone Shards mechanics. Totally misunderstood this as a gacha mechainc. Is that even possible to do on the 1.12.1 client?
Characters:

Ibux

Post by Ibux » Wed May 01, 2024 5:28 pm

Sauceman89 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 5:21 pm
Ohhh you meant by the Diablo 2 Worldstone Shards mechanics. Totally misunderstood this as a gacha mechainc. Is that even possible to do on the 1.12.1 client?
no idea. it would probably require a lot of work to complete. but I'm sure there must be people around here who have more experience with the system who can say that with certainty.

Ibux

Post by Ibux » Sun May 05, 2024 6:04 am

updated main post smiling_turtle

Ibux

Post by Ibux » Fri May 17, 2024 8:14 pm

I think it could be cool if instead of things having a chance to change quality through Transmutation. Since people may not like that the equipment can be completely destroyed. Then maybe instead it could only be partially destroyed. And then you had to reforge the item to use it again. Like the Broken Blade of Heroes. There would be less risk. But it could also be worthwhile to find the equipment again to avoid paying the price to fix it.

The Broken Blade of Heroes is a sword that must be reforged before it can be used. Reforging the sword requires 4 Steel Bars, 4 Strong Flux, 2 Elemental Fire and 2 Heavy Grinding Stones.

Akalix
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Akalix » Sat May 18, 2024 3:28 am

While I like the concept of more gear variation, in a game with such heavily time-gated gearing as Vanilla WoW, and such solid ideas of "BIS" -- it'll very likely just lead to frustration as players will find their best items are locked behind RNGing their already RNG drops.
Public Relations / Community Manager / Head of Recruitment

Looking to join Turtle? Need media information? Contact me!