Paladins

Akos1896

Paladins

Post by Akos1896 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:22 am

Hey!
I want to highlight two design problems regarding paladins, hoping that it can affect the class changes process.
All in all, I like the class and I like TWOW's original idea to buff non-holy variants but I have design problems with the execution.
1. Holy damage. Melee paladin is in an interesting spot at the moment. Godlike in PVP, somewhat lackluster in PVE - paladin tanks, while having some niches (mostly when a bunch of trash has to be picked up) mostly fall out at later raids, while retris are having a threat/damage problem. People with a melee focused paladin char can find a guild and can raid but if they wanna clear raids somewhat 'competitively', they have to switch to resto. Maybe with the exception of 1 guy occassionally swinging with nighfall.
I think that the problem partly lies in the concept of holy damage. Blizzard was lazy back in the day and holy became a school of magic (?) unlike the others. In practice, you can't resist it and it bypasses armor. From a design perspective, the problem is that any decent hol damage spell given to the paladin breaks the class because of PVP. The best solution would be to recode how holy works, adding resistances etc but I am unsure if it can even be done. The alternative would be to greatly reduce holy damage from the custom spell and buff melee paladins in a way that they deal more PHYSICAL damage. You can even scale them up better that way - holy strike prevents paladins from receiving decent damage buffs since it just would make the broken class even more broken in PVP (while they still need love in PVE raiding).
Please raise melee pala damage output but with physical attacks. Holy damage should be minimal and only for flavor.

2. Retri has a threat/damage problem which is shared with shamans. Both of them, as a utility class, focus on giving threat to others/to a party, not just getting a threat reduction for themselves. In practice it will mean that a DPS pala with salvation risks outthreating the tank with like 60% of the damage the mage does. Pala has salvation, just like every DPS because he did the buffs. Mage has salvation and his own threat reduction talents combined. In other words, classes which give out threat reduction buffs to others, too, will súck at threat/damage because most DPS has a way to handle their own threat and they just get a salv on top of that. Honorable exceptions are the warlocks (who overthreat a lot but at least the have to 130% threat the tank, not only 110% like the melee) and warriors (but honestly, each raid warrior is a fury and they should have a shield-oh weapon switch macro for sudden damage mitigation; same doesn't work with retri's 2H weapon build).