Battle Pets Tab/Addition

Tactrix
Has liked: 1 time

Battle Pets Tab/Addition

Post by Tactrix » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:14 am

I think when you add the toys tab it would be a great time to add the battle pets tab, and start moving that along. I know that it's a very hit and miss proposition, however out of all the things that retail WoW has ruined the only thing they haven't ruined is battle pets. And after 15 years of them, it's safe to say it's a pretty good working system. So just take a look at it and use that version of it in whatever the current content is.

Drubarrymooer

Re: Battle Pets Tab/Addition

Post by Drubarrymooer » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:10 am

I never got to experience battle pets. As a casual Pokemon fan myself, I wouldn't mind seeing it. It would give more incentive to collect pets.

Reploidrocsa

Post by Reploidrocsa » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:41 am

While it could be a big hassle to implement (unless it has been downported already) i always thought it could be a great addition to content.

Not like i would do any of that tho, tried once on retail because a friend was obsessed with it and it wasn't for me at all.

But adding this functionality into TWoW? +1

Tactrix

Post by Tactrix » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:10 pm

Drubarrymooer wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:10 am
I never got to experience battle pets. As a casual Pokemon fan myself, I wouldn't mind seeing it. It would give more incentive to collect pets.
I agree, it would be a nice addition.

Tactrix

Post by Tactrix » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:10 pm

Reploidrocsa wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:41 am
While it could be a big hassle to implement (unless it has been downported already) i always thought it could be a great addition to content.

Not like i would do any of that tho, tried once on retail because a friend was obsessed with it and it wasn't for me at all.

I figure they could copy paste it from retail, considering it took them 15 years to finally get that working correctly.

Reploidrocsa

Post by Reploidrocsa » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:15 am

Tactrix wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:10 pm
Reploidrocsa wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:41 am

I figure they could copy paste it from retail, considering it took them 15 years to finally get that working correctly.
Exactly, if the system is backported, implementing it could be a feasible task. Always thought collectibles were a great way to give players something to do and prolong the life of the game. That's why i wish you could fish armor and weapons with unique models for tmog around the world to add a list of collectibles. Same with pets.

After all, I'm really invested on collecting tmogs for the sake of collecting, i can see myself collecting pets for battle when not raiding

Tactrix

Post by Tactrix » Sun May 26, 2024 11:33 pm

Now lets hope this is one of the new systems they implement. To tell the truth it would actually be completely original, because even retail WoW never had battle pets in Vanilla alone. They started in MoP for them, so this would be a fresh start all around.

Geojak
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Geojak » Mon May 27, 2024 12:59 pm

I have high doubt a battle pet system. Would be feasible to introduce into 1. 12.1 client.

Tactrix

Post by Tactrix » Mon May 27, 2024 7:43 pm

Geojak wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 12:59 pm
I have high doubt a battle pet system. Would be feasible to introduce into 1. 12.1 client.
It's entirely feasible, in fact they wouldn't even have to make it from scratch, because it already exists in retail WoW, they could literally take the current client code and simply put it into this version of the game to make the current vanilla based trainers show up. Because since it's implementation Blizzard has gone out of their way to put that system into every xpac. Including but not limited to the ones that never had it in the first place before MoP. So right now every single part of WoW has this system in it.

Also as a side note, there are already like 100 battle pets in this game, the only thing is, they're right now just companion pets, but they are literally the same companions that would later on be converted to battle pets. So truthfully more than half of the work required for it is already done, and the other half is copy and pasting from the client release code for dragonflight.

Forthehorde

Post by Forthehorde » Mon May 27, 2024 10:59 pm

Going to play devil's advocate here.

While battle pets could be fun (and potentially a source of revenue for TurtleWow e.g. selling battle pet skins etc.), it could also detract from the community as a whole. Let me explain.

The lifeblood of classic is (especially for TurtleWow) the active in-world participation of the community as a whole: unified world chat, people joining groups and guilds, participating in quests and dungeons, traveling to and from locations far and wide. All of these things create a living, breathing, exciting world from which adventures come alive. This is why cross-faction is so effective even though it was never in classic, because it feeds that lifeblood with active, in-world actitivies with as many players as possible.

Now imagine the successful implementation of battle pets. Yes, players are enjoying themselves and having fun collecting and leveling up pets, but they're also now playing a completely different game from everyone else. The more successfull battle pets is, the more they're not communicating in the world, not joining groups, not participating in quests and dungeons, or not traveling to locations far and wide. Potentially hundreds of players just standing around in cities smoking battle-pet crack.

Now, one could make the arguement "well I would only play battle pets while traveling on a flightpath, or waiting for group members to arrive" etc., but that means that while waiting, they're not talking to the rest of the group or interacting with the world. Like a family at a restraunt waiting for their food and... looking at their phones instead of actually talking to each other.

Just something to consider.

Rfelleto

Post by Rfelleto » Tue May 28, 2024 12:06 pm

Forthehorde wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 10:59 pm

While battle pets could be fun (and potentially a source of revenue for TurtleWow e.g. selling battle pet skins etc.), it could also detract from the community as a whole. Let me explain.

The lifeblood of classic is (especially for TurtleWow) the active in-world participation of the community as a whole: unified world chat, people joining groups and guilds, participating in quests and dungeons, traveling to and from locations far and wide. All of these things create a living, breathing, exciting world from which adventures come alive. This is why cross-faction is so effective even though it was never in classic, because it feeds that lifeblood with active, in-world actitivies with as many players as possible.

Now imagine the successful implementation of battle pets. Yes, players are enjoying themselves and having fun collecting and leveling up pets, but they're also now playing a completely different game from everyone else. The more successfull battle pets is, the more they're not communicating in the world, not joining groups, not participating in quests and dungeons, or not traveling to locations far and wide. Potentially hundreds of players just standing around in cities smoking battle-pet crack.

Now, one could make the arguement "well I would only play battle pets while traveling on a flightpath, or waiting for group members to arrive" etc., but that means that while waiting, they're not talking to the rest of the group or interacting with the world. Like a family at a restraunt waiting for their food and... looking at their phones instead of actually talking to each other.

I'm glad you shared your opinion. I agree completely.

Likaleo

Post by Likaleo » Wed May 29, 2024 2:18 pm

Tactrix wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 7:43 pm
Geojak wrote:
It's entirely feasible, in fact they wouldn't even have to make it from scratch, because it already exists in retail WoW, they could literally take the current client code and simply put it into this version of the game

Also as a side note, there are already like 100 battle pets in this game, the only thing is, they're right now just companion pets, but they are literally the same companions that would later on be converted to battle pets.
HAHA

Lol do you realy think it would be that simple just put the game from pandarian client to the vanilla wow and it would work..
HAHA
Client version got so many updates during woltk/cata/pandaria its not even same game.

On patch days half of the add-ons stop working and they are add-ons that are made for this client. You realy think you could just copy paste stuff from totally different game to old client with out +100hours of work.
You realy think turning companions into battle pets would be easy to do. Battlepets was one of the big things they marketed during pandaria. Blizzard prob whole year to make them work

Likaleo

Post by Likaleo » Wed May 29, 2024 3:33 pm

Tactrix wrote:
Geojak wrote:
It's entirely feasible, in fact they wouldn't even have to make it from scratch, because it already exists in retail WoW, they could literally take the current client code and simply put it into this version of the game

Also as a side note, there are already like 100 battle pets in this game, the only thing is, they're right now just companion pets, but they are literally the same companions that would later on be converted to battle pets.
HAHA

Lol do you realy think it would be that simple just put the game from pandarian client to the vanilla wow and it would work..
HAHA
Client version got so many updates during woltk/cata/pandaria its not even same game.

On patch days half of the add-ons stop working and they are add-ons that are made for this client. You realy think you could just copy paste stuff from totally different game to old client with out +100hours of work.
You realy think turning companions into battle pets would be easy to do. Battlepets was one of the big things they marketed during pandaria. Blizzard prob whole year to make them work

Tactrix

Post by Tactrix » Wed May 29, 2024 7:16 pm

Likaleo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 3:33 pm
Tactrix wrote:
Geojak wrote:

HAHA

HAHA

If you knew half of what you were talking about then you'd know that the battle pet system for Azeroth was never in the MoP client, it came much later in one of the other expansions. Furthermore, yes you could very easily copy and paste it, because unlike every other system in the game that's dependent on gear stats, specific mobs, loot and the like, battle pets have always been and remain a STAND ALONE system. That means they are completely separate from every other aspect of the game.

Tactrix

Post by Tactrix » Wed May 29, 2024 7:20 pm

Forthehorde wrote:

I understand your concern. And on the surface it might appear like the lifeblood of WoW was the participation in all those things, and to some extent it is. However being someone who actually played WoW in Beta for vanilla and not just a decade afterwards I can tell you first hand that Vanilla WoW suffered deeply from a lack of proper filler content where it was needed. Would you like to know how they made up for this lack of content? Remember the 10,000 or so quests of just grinding 10 of this, 15 of that, 7 of this. Yea, that stuff. That's what they had to do to make it viable because there was literally nothing else to do. They had no systems in place beyond questing, and eventually pvping. And so to put it simply not only would this not take away from the "main game experience", but it would fill a very large gap that still til this day exists in vanilla and now classic WoW, lack of things to do beyond grinding. And it should be noted that we BEGGED blizzard to create fillers while we were in Vanilla, that's how the original idea for the peggle addon came about.

Rfelleto

Post by Rfelleto » Thu May 30, 2024 12:14 am

Tactrix wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 7:20 pm
Forthehorde wrote:

I understand your concern. And on the surface it might appear like the lifeblood of WoW was the participation in all those things, and to some extent it is. However being someone who actually played WoW in Beta for vanilla and not just a decade afterwards I can tell you first hand that Vanilla WoW suffered deeply from a lack of proper filler content where it was needed. Would you like to know how they made up for this lack of content? Remember the 10,000 or so quests of just grinding 10 of this, 15 of that, 7 of this. Yea, that stuff. That's what they had to do to make it viable because there was literally nothing else to do. They had no systems in place beyond questing, and eventually pvping. And so to put it simply not only would this not take away from the "main game experience", but it would fill a very large gap that still til this day exists in vanilla and now classic WoW, lack of things to do beyond grinding. And it should be noted that we BEGGED blizzard to create fillers while we were in Vanilla, that's how the original idea for the peggle addon came about.
Or we can just accept the fact that the game isn't supposed to last forever, and find other fun things to do.

Frantsel

Post by Frantsel » Thu May 30, 2024 1:20 am

That was the only good thing cata had to offer :)

Love the pets!

Forthehorde

Post by Forthehorde » Thu May 30, 2024 2:31 am

Tactrix wrote:
However being someone who actually played WoW in Beta for vanilla and not just a decade afterwards ... I can tell you first hand that Vanilla WoW suffered deeply from a lack of proper filler content where it was needed ... that still exists in vanilla and now classic WoW, lack of things to do beyond grinding ... And it should be noted that we BEGGED blizzard to create fillers while we were in Vanilla, that's how the original idea for the peggle addon came about.
I too played WoW in beta, and Everquest before that (in the days when recovering mana required looking at your spellbook), Pong before that, and even before that... the creative use of empty cardboard boxes.

But the idea that classic "lacks proper filler content" reminds me of the "You think you want it, but you don't" comment by J. Allen Brack during Blizcon some years back. I took exception to Brack's presumption that his way was best and somehow the rest of us weren't smart enough or experienced enough to know want we want.

Except, I did want it. I still want it. I actually want to run across the world instead of being insta-transported to a dungeon or using a flying mount. I want to grind for rep instead of acquiring in an afternoon. I want to join guilds and cooperate in raids for the best gear instead of doing it on my own. I want to start alts at level 1 instead of an insta-60 character. I want to find creative ways to entertain myself in the world rather than waiting for the world to entertain me.

It's simply a matter of preference. One is neither better or worse than the other, but it does seem that "Classic" and "Retail" playstyles are not compatible with each other. And that's the question: How much retail can you put in classic before it's no longer classic. I guess the answer depends on each person's definition of what makes classic "classic".

Tactrix

Post by Tactrix » Thu May 30, 2024 4:03 am

Rfelleto wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 12:14 am
Tactrix wrote:
Forthehorde wrote:

Or we can just accept the fact that the game isn't supposed to last forever, and find other fun things to do.
I honestly don't really care for WoW at all, like I haven't cared for it since like 2012 or something. It kinda just went downhill and never came back. I just enjoy the battle pets. Like if they made that into a mobile game tomorrow, I'd never even look at WoW again.

Tactrix

Post by Tactrix » Thu May 30, 2024 4:07 am

Forthehorde wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 2:31 am
Tactrix wrote:
However being someone who actually played WoW in Beta for vanilla and not just a decade afterwards ... I can tell you first hand that Vanilla WoW suffered deeply from a lack of proper filler content where it was needed ... that still exists in vanilla and now classic WoW, lack of things to do beyond grinding ... And it should be noted that we BEGGED blizzard to create fillers while we were in Vanilla, that's how the original idea for the peggle addon came about.
I too played WoW in beta, and Everquest before that (in the days when recovering mana required looking at your spellbook), Pong before that, and even before that... the creative use of empty cardboard boxes.

But the idea that classic "lacks proper filler content" reminds me of the "You think you want it, but you don't" comment by J. Allen Brack during Blizcon some years back. I took exception to Brack's presumption that his way was best and somehow the rest of us weren't smart enough or experienced enough to know want we want.

Except, I did want it. I still want it. I actually want to run across the world instead of being insta-transported to a dungeon or using a flying mount. I want to grind for rep instead of acquiring in an afternoon. I want to join guilds and cooperate in raids for the best gear instead of doing it on my own. I want to start alts at level 1 instead of an insta-60 character. I want to find creative ways to entertain myself in the world rather than waiting for the world to entertain me.

It's simply a matter of preference. One is neither better or worse than the other, but it does seem that "Classic" and "Retail" playstyles are not compatible with each other. And that's the question: How much retail can you put in classic before it's no longer classic. I guess the answer depends on each person's definition of what makes classic "classic".
It is a matter of preference, and I hope you enjoy it to the fullest extent. The reason I don't is because I did all of that, wayyyy too many times. But at the time you kind of had to, it wasn't really optional. Like you didn't have enough money to properly afford flying everywhere because if you remember back then, it was actually insanely expensive to the point of where you had to be like "you know, I think I'll just autorun for like 15min instead." At the time it was so grindy to get your gear, your level, your professions, that alts were not really a consideration no matter how much time you had. You could make them, but that's another 6 months worth dedication per alt. So it was a very time intensive venture.

Tactrix

Post by Tactrix » Thu May 30, 2024 4:09 am

Frantsel wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 1:20 am
That was the only good thing cata had to offer :)

Love the pets!
Sadly Cata never had pets. They came out in MoP and they didn't truly flourish until, well basically now. Because even through they put them in all the zones in legion, they still had a lot of issues with the way the actual battle system worked. Like for example if your pet died in the middle of a battle, it got no experience up until dragonflight, but now as long as its in the battle it will get some. And another thing I really love and a lot of people never even consider is that battles give you actual character XP, so there have been more than few times when instead of grinding zones and being bored, I would just pet battle from 1 level to the next.

Forthehorde

Post by Forthehorde » Thu May 30, 2024 5:08 am

Tactrix wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 4:07 am
But at the time you kind of had to, it wasn't really optional
Everything was slower back then. When WoW first came out in 2004, it was only avaible on compact disks, no download, and took hours to install. The internet barely existed on 56k modems. The iPHone hadn't even been invented yet. It was a different time. Things were more easy going, more patient. I suppose that's why I like Classic, because it's the opposite of the the fast-paced sugar-rush instant-gratification of "modern" entertainment we have today.
Tactrix wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 4:03 am
Like if they made that into a mobile game tomorrow, I'd never even look at WoW again.
PVP Pet Battles On your Phone! - World of Warcraft

Last edited by Forthehorde on Thu May 30, 2024 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zeran

Post by Zeran » Thu May 30, 2024 5:21 am

Tactrix wrote:
Geojak wrote:
It's entirely feasible, in fact they wouldn't even have to make it from scratch, because it already exists in retail WoW, they could literally take the current client code and simply put it into this version of the game to make the current vanilla based trainers show up. Because since it's implementation Blizzard has gone out of their way to put that system into every xpac. Including but not limited to the ones that never had it in the first place before MoP. So right now every single part of WoW has this system in it.

Also as a side note, there are already like 100 battle pets in this game, the only thing is, they're right now just companion pets, but they are literally the same companions that would later on be converted to battle pets. So truthfully more than half of the work required for it is already done, and the other half is copy and pasting from the client release code for dragonflight.
You are vastly underestimating the work involved because the devs DON'T have access to any client code whatsoever, even for Vanilla. Everything that you see has been reverse-engineered from studying client-server communication, and these things take time.
You ever 'av dreams of da Empire of Zul, mon?

Da Zandali di'chuka!

Main Toon's Armoury: Jil'nei

Guild Leader of <Glorious Amani Tribe>

I have alts, too turtle_tongue

Tactrix

Post by Tactrix » Thu May 30, 2024 12:48 pm

Zeran wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 5:21 am
Tactrix wrote:
Geojak wrote:

You are vastly underestimating the work involved because the devs DON'T have access to any client code whatsoever, even for Vanilla. Everything that you see has been reverse-engineered from studying client-server communication, and these things take time.
The client that is used for pretty much all private servers is reverse engineered beforehand. However that client is a default so stuff that they reverse engineer in the making of the game is spread widely between private server devs. Since pet battles was defaulted in that client its already been done with a few less tweaks than the actual game. Which is why if you go to any private server that's past mop xpac they all pretty much have the same version of battle pets.

Tactrix

Post by Tactrix » Thu May 30, 2024 1:26 pm

Forthehorde wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 5:08 am
Tactrix wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 4:07 am
But at the time you kind of had to, it wasn't really optional
Everything was slower back then. When WoW first came out in 2004, it was only avaible on compact disks, no download, and took hours to install. The internet barely existed on 56k modems. The iPHone hadn't even been invented yet. It was a different time. Things were more easy going, more patient. I suppose that's why I like Classic, because it's the opposite of the the fast-paced sugar-rush instant-gratification of "modern" entertainment we have today.
Tactrix wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 4:03 am
Like if they made that into a mobile game tomorrow, I'd never even look at WoW again.
PVP Pet Battles On your Phone! - World of Warcraft

Yea I've seen this before, sadly he still has to have the game running and open on his computer for this to work. Here's what's funny, Blizzard was told by a very large fanbase to make the Battle Pet Mobile game. So they started to work on it, and they had that project side by side with the tower defense project which is now WoW Rumble. And they stupidly had to scrap 1 of them before they announced what was coming out, and they scrapped the battle pets mobile game. Which was a HUGE mistake. Because WoW rumble on top of being boring isn't actually successful, and has no fanbase. So they shot themselves in the foot for no reason. Plus since Blizzards main motivator has been money for the last 15 years, they messed that up too, because battle pets is easy to monetize, wow rumble is not.